X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

STEVE VAI Says Reunion Of DLR's 'Eat 'Em And Smile' Lineup Is 'On The Radar'

Guitar legend Steve Vai has confirmed that there are still tentative plans for VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth and the band for his debut solo album, "Eat 'Em And Smile", to reunite following the cancelation of their November 2015 reunion attempt at the Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood. Roth's "Eat 'E...

Guitar legend Steve Vai has confirmed that there are still tentative plans for VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth and the band for his debut solo album, "Eat 'Em And Smile", to reunite following the cancelation of their November 2015 reunion attempt at the Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood.

Roth's "Eat 'Em And Smile" reunion at the Lucky Strike Live was called off at the last minute by the fire marshal. The show would have marked the first time in 30 years that Roth joined bassist Billy Sheehan, Vai, drummer Greg Bissonette (RINGO STARR & HIS ALL-STARR BAND), and keyboardist Brett Tuggle to perform some of the hits from the classic LP. Also scheduled to join the band on stage was STEEL PANTHER vocalist Ralph Saenz (a.k.a. Michael Starr).

Speaking to Ultimate Classic Rock, Vai stated about the Lucky Strike Live near-performance: "When we got there, they had crammed 1,700 people in a 350-seater, and the line was literally three or four people thick all the way down [the street] and around the block. I've never seen anything like it. And then Dave got out of the car, and people just went apeshit."

According to Vai, plans for the reunion came together casually — "a very innocent kind of thing" involving an open-mic night. "Billy was telling me about it, and he said, 'What if we just showed up and played a few songs?' Like 'Shyboy' and 'Yankee Rose', you don't need to rehearse those," he explained. "So I said, 'Yeah, let's do that.' And then I thought maybe Dave would be interested. So I just floated it out there and he was. We didn't do a proper rehearsal, but Dave came over to my house before we went there, and we reviewed it all and we just kind of went over it so that there was a comfort level."

While the fans were disappointed that the show was called off, there is still hope the "Eat 'Em And Smile" might reunite at a later date.

"We tasted a little bit of the forbidden fruit there," Vai said. "We all decided that it would be nice, why not? It was a great era. It was a great record, we were a great band. So it's on the radar. It's just a matter of getting everybody's schedules to align. That's the tough part."

"Eat 'Em And Smile" was the first of two Roth albums to feature the duo of Vai and Sheehan on guitar and bass.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

It'd be sort of neat to see such a thing if it was a one-off, I suppose. If it was taken lightheartedly and the sort of banged out a few tunes in a loose setting with nothing huge in the way of expectations.

The reality of it is that considering what Dave sounds like fronting Van Halen these days, it'd be hard to imagine him sounding much better fronting the EEAS band now, and seemingly the more time that passes will only enhance the deterioration: if they're gonna do it, they should do it soon, if only to save Dave the embarrassment.

On an instrumental front, I'd have no doubt the EEAS band would knock that stuff out of the park.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Running it through my head I don't think the EEAS stuff is any more difficult to sing than the Van Halen stuff, in fact it may be easier.

I think the EEAS thing would be a big theatre 2-3k thing rather than an area act like Van Halen but I could still see it happening.

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Mar 2009

I would love to see them re-visit this band. It was the best show I ever saw , and the musicianship was stellar. It might be interesting to even here a raw few songs from Skyscraper , in a stripped down version , raw like Sheehan has talked about , before over-producing tainted them. The dueling guitars between Vai & Sheehan would be worth the price of admission for me. Greg Bissonette is so much more amazing than the albums , and seeing him live doing a drum solo is downright amazing.

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          Running it through my head I don't think the EEAS stuff is any more difficult to sing than the Van Halen stuff, in fact it may be easier.
          That's not what I've been told. But I have no idea, I'm no singer.

Originally posted by THEDOCTOR
          I would love to see them re-visit this band. It was the best show I ever saw
          Doc, you never saw the real Van Halen?

To me, the EEAS tour was too much like the Van Halen 1984 tour. Too much of Dave trying to be something he wasn't. A Vegas act with too many costume changes.

I'd like to see them do a one off show. Or maybe like Sesh said, a tour of smaller venues. History would show Dave would probably try to go over the top with it, and I doubt that would work. I'm not sure people would fill big arenas in cities all across the U.S., to see this band again.

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2009

Unfortunately my music awakening happened in '85. So I never attended a Mighty VH concert, only watched live dvds. For me Dave was the over the top best , but backed by superstars on each instrument on the EEAS show. There was, in my opinion, a dramatic drop off on the next album/tour. I've seen many , many shows , with great live acts, but that show just had everything. The big show, DLR, guitar gods, heavy artillery on the drums, and I have NEVER been to a show that was crawling with beautiful women like that one was. It blew my 16 year old mind
            A side note: About a year later , I went to my old high school to see Greg Bissonnette's drum clinic and fuckin A , that guy is soooooo much better than anyone realizes. He did truly amazing shit. Afterwards, he went into the hall and was the coolest, most humble musician I've ever met, signing everything taking pics until everyone there was done.
            Last edited by THEDOCTOR; 10-27-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The thing is that half the EEAS band set was CVH with extra keyboards.

Firstly no one ever liked that even in the 1980s but also I would assume if Dave starts playing a bunch of Van Halen songs solo then he's out of Van Halen.

I think the EEAS gig that got cancelled was only going to be a jam of a few songs.

A whole show without any VH means 3 or 4 from CFTH and most of EEAS and Skyscraper. Playing the whole of EEAS is only 30 minutes.

A setlist of songs from the 2 tours removing the Van Halen looks like this.

Shy Boy
              Tobacco Road
              Drum Solo
              Elephant Gun
              Ladies' Nite in Buffalo?
              Bump and Grind
              Big Trouble
              The Bottom Line
              Knucklebones
              Easy Street
              Hot Dog and a Shake
              I'm Easy
              Stand Up
              Skyscraper
              Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
              Yankee Rose
              Bass/Guitar Solos
              Goin' Crazy!

Encore:
              Just Like Paradise
              California Girls

So it is doable.

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                The thing is that half the EEAS band set was CVH with extra keyboards.

Firstly no one ever liked that even in the 1980s but also I would assume if Dave starts playing a bunch of Van Halen songs solo then he's out of Van Halen.

I think the EEAS gig that got cancelled was only going to be a jam of a few songs.

A whole show without any VH means 3 or 4 from CFTH and most of EEAS and Skyscraper. Playing the whole of EEAS is only 30 minutes.

A setlist of songs from the 2 tours removing the Van Halen looks like this.

Shy Boy
                Tobacco Road
                Drum Solo
                Elephant Gun
                Ladies' Nite in Buffalo?
                Bump and Grind
                Big Trouble
                The Bottom Line
                Knucklebones
                Easy Street
                Hot Dog and a Shake
                I'm Easy
                Stand Up
                Skyscraper
                Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
                Yankee Rose
                Bass/Guitar Solos
                Goin' Crazy!

Encore:
                Just Like Paradise
                California Girls

So it is doable.
                Sesh, do you really believe Dave would EVER play a full set live show without playing that faggy "Jump" song?

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Mar 2009

If I never hear "Jump" again..... I'm ok with that....

Comment

• Von Halen
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

If I never hear "Jump" again..... I'm ok with that....
                    I thought that after the first time I ever heard it. Unfortunately, Dave believes it is "Definitive Van Halen".

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Mar 2009

That's Rich ,considering(reports say) he supposedly did not like the tune, nor did he want it on 1984. Now, that could be false information....or he just "jumped" on his #1 hit and has ridden it...way too long.

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Now, that could be false information....or he just "jumped" on his #1 hit and has ridden it...way too long.
                        I'm betting on the latter.

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Mar 2009

I honestly think if DLR and the EEAS band do get back together , in whatever capacity , big or small, it spells the end of DLR in VH(which unless something definitively says otherwise, I believe to be the case anyways)
                          It's really sad the whole gaggle of musicians can't see the tremendous opportunity they leave on the table. In Ricardo Montalban Fantasy Island, they could do a VH Festival tour, with every incarnation of VH and the Bastard off shoots playing throughout a day and just have a killer tour, with the Classic VH headlining. By that I mean Hagar, Chickenfoot, DLR EEAS band , Van Hagar, Van Halen w/Wolfgang, & the Mighty VH-
                          "Welcome , to Fantasy island"

Comment

• cadaverdog
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Aug 2007

I honestly think if DLR and the EEAS band do get back together , in whatever capacity , big or small, it spells the end of DLR in VH(which unless something definitively says otherwise, I believe to be the case anyways)
                            It's really sad the whole gaggle of musicians can't see the tremendous opportunity they leave on the table. In Ricardo Montalban Fantasy Island, they could do a VH Festival tour, with every incarnation of VH and the Bastard off shoots playing throughout a day and just have a killer tour, with the Classic VH headlining. By that I mean Hagar, Chickenfoot, DLR EEAS band , Van Hagar, Van Halen w/Wolfgang, & the Mighty VH-
                            "Welcome , to Fantasy island"
                            I could see a Van Halen / Van Hagar tour with the current VH line up and the traditional Van Hagar line up with a little CVH thrown in for good measure. Or they could try what Survivor tried with both vocalists taking turns.
                            Beware of Dog

Comment

• THEDOCTOR
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2009

No way Dave would go for it. In this matter, his ego still prevents him from seeing a bigger picture , or , adversely, his fear of being upstaged.
                              I would think if his EEAS band were in the mix , he miiight go for it.

Comment

Working...