X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Bono Woman of The Year

Bono has been named as a ‘Woman of The Year’ and everyone’s a little bit confused
    Nicholas Reilly for Metro.co.ukTuesday 1 Nov 2016 8:31 pm

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/01/bono-h...#ixzz4Oz7hkbn5

U2 frontman Bono has been named as one of the ‘Women of The Year’ by Glamour Magazine, and everyone’s a little bit confused, understandably.

The lead singer of the Irish rock icons has been praised for his work with the ‘Poverty Is Sexist’ initiative – which is designed to help some of the most vulnerable women in the world gain access to clean water, food, and education.

Accepting the award, he said: ‘I’m sure I don’t deserve it. But I’m grateful for this award as a chance to say the battle for gender equality can’t be won unless men lead it along with women. We’re largely responsible for the problem, so we have to be involved in the solutions.’

But the announcement has resulted in quite a bit of confusion.

But in a statement that seemed primed to deal with inevitable backlash, Glamour’s editor-in-chief Cindi Leive praised Bono as ‘one of those guys’ in the battle for gender equality.

She said: ‘We’ve talked for years about whether to honor a man at Women of the Year and we’ve always kind of put the kibosh on it.

‘You know, men get a lot of awards and aren’t exactly hurting in the celebration and honors department. But it started to seem that that might be an outdated way of looking at things, and there are so many men who really are doing wonderful things for women these days. Some men get it and Bono is one of those guys.’
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Womanfish of the year

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Old news, slave FORD

Always all about identity politics with you.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

How is this not the ultimate symbol of Male White Privilege? The dude gets honored as a woman of the year and he's not even a chick, bwahahahaha!!! And then he says men cause all the problems for women and accepts an award or whatever that should have gone to, duh, a woman. Ah, being a white dude kicks ass.

And Bono is gay and his "music" sucks.
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

And if you're gonna pick a made up name, please come up with something better than Bono. Maybe he should change his name to Tampon, seeing as how he's a woman of the year.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Bono is not gay, nor does his music suck. Well, not MOST of his music anyway..... the last couple albums had some dull spots, Pop had some shitty moments, and there was that Passengers thing.

But aside from that, it's been mostly good.

Maybe the idiots at this magazine confused him with Cher's child Chastity? Though she's a he now too.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                And if you're gonna pick a made up name, please come up with something better than Bono. Maybe he should change his name to Tampon, seeing as how he's a woman of the year.
                Originally it was "Bono Vox" which is some sort of Latin translation for "good voice". The name was actually an ironic nickname given to him by his friends as a teenager, because when U2 (then known as "Feedback") did their first rehearsals, he actually could NOT sing very well. He prayed to our friend JC to give him a voice, and the Lord provided.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Originally it was "Bono Vox" which is some sort of Latin translation for "good voice". The name was actually an ironic nickname given to him by his friends as a teenager, because when U2 (then known as "Feedback") did their first rehearsals, he actually could NOT sing very well. He prayed to our friend JC to give him a voice, and the Lord provided.
                  So now you're blaming Jesus for Bono's career?? Man, He ain't gonna like that. You definitely ain't gettin into Hogwart's when you die!

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So now you're blaming Jesus for Bono's career?? Man, He ain't gonna like that. You definitely ain't gettin into Hogwart's when you die!
                    Uh, have you ever listened to the October album??

How many bands do you know who write songs about the Second Coming?

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

I don't know if I can make it through that. But...I'll give it a try. But I ain't gonna like it!

Comment

• vandeleur
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by FORD
                        Uh, have you ever listened to the October album??

How many bands do you know who write songs about the Second Coming?

I had to in a previous existence... it's awful and pish
                        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                          I had to in a previous existence... it's awful and pish
                          Good - Vandy saved me with his review. Now I don't gotta listen to it

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Good - Vandy saved me with his review. Now I don't gotta listen to it
                            That's what friends are for
                            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Working...