Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

New Jaguar I-Pace is a 400bhp Tesla-baiting electric SUV

Coming in 2018.

0-60 in 4 seconds, 400 HP, 90 minutes to charge 200 mile range all for about $60k.

It's not very pretty for a Jag or that's maybe just me I don't like SUVs ever.

If things keep going at this rate though electric cars could be the norm in 5-10 years.

Jaguar is going Tesla-hunting. This hunk of futurism is the new Jaguar I-Pace concept: a 394bhp, 4WD, pure electric SUV that’s the size of a Porsche Macan but has Cayenne levels of space inside. And it’s not a far-away vision of the future: you’ll be able to buy something virtually identical to it in mid-2018.

“It’s a concept car, but honestly it’s pretty close,” explains Jaguar design director Ian Callum. “There’s a few little details here and there that you won’t see in production, but most people won’t notice much of a difference. It’s really quite different from anything we’ve done before, or indeed anyone’s done before, really.”

He’s not wrong. If you’re having a hard time getting your head around the car’s proportions right now, that’s because they’re the polar opposite to its running mate, the F-Pace. By starting with what Callum calls a “skateboard” platform – a flat battery between the axles with an electric motor at either end, all developed in-house – he and his team had total freedom to place things wherever they wanted.

“There’s no point in a long bonnet because it doesn’t have a great six-cylinder engine like the E-Type. I found it fascinating that we could take an SUV and give it the characteristic of a mid-engine sports car in its profile because you’re bringing the cab forward and nestling it between the wheels,” explains Callum.
    ADVERTISING
    inRead invented by Teads

And it’s not just mechanical layout that encouraged him to throw the visual mass forwards. Getting the drag coefficient down to a remarkably slippery 0.29 (the F-Pace is 0.34) was a constant consideration. The scooped bonnet raises the front end and smooths air over the roof, and that most un-Jag-like rump. “Perhaps the high and square tail is in conflict with the boat tails from Jaguar’s history, but square back ends are aerodynamically efficient, so we bought into them and made it work, hopefully in an elegant way,” says Callum.

“I was once quoted as saying a Jaguar should look like it’s moving when it’s standing still, and that an SUV looks like it’s standing still even when it’s moving… until now.”

This is a bespoke aluminium architecture, not a carry-over or a battery slotted into an existing platform. It places the batteries between the wheels and as close to the road as possible, dropping the centre of gravity by 120mm compared with the F-Pace. And it’s the battery size that dictates the car’s basic shape, because a long wheelbase means you can cram in more lithium-ion pouch cells and go further on a charge.

The upshot is a wheelbase that’s 115mm longer than an F-Pace’s, but overall it’s 40mm narrower and 50mm shorter. Not that you’d notice inside, because by exploiting that cab-forward design, there’s actually more rear legroom and a marginally smaller, but still vast, 530-litre boot.

A motor at each end means near perfect weight distribution. The permanent magnet motors in question are a concentric design – where the driveshaft runs through the middle – helping them to be packaged into an incredibly tight space. As for torque, the car’s brain can distribute it to the front or rear as it sees fit, while an open differential on each axle sends more of it to the side where the most grip is. It can even control the level of regen deceleration on each wheel to help balance the car.

Springs and dampers are lifted from the F-Pace (because why the hell wouldn’t you?), and the production wheels will be exactly the height you see here, albeit with a fraction more sidewall than these show-pony 23s, and slightly narrower to better slice through the air.

I was once quoted as saying a Jaguar should look like it’s moving when it’s standing still, and that an SUV looks like it’s standing still even when it’s moving… until now

Combined power from both motors is 394bhp with a hefty 516lb ft of torque: more twist than a Tesla Model X P90D, but, oddly, almost 300bhp less. There’s nothing odd about the performance, though: Jag’s claimed 0–62mph time of 4.0 seconds is 0.3secs behind a P90D, but enough to out-drag pretty much any other SUV on sale, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and Bentley Bentayga W12 included.

More pertinent is that the 90kWh battery can be charged to 80 per cent in 90 minutes from a rapid 50kW D/C charger, although the I-Pace will be future-proofed with the ability to accept charge up to 150kW (Tesla’s superchargers currently deliver 120kW) as and when they start to appear. And the range? Up to 500km, or 310 miles on the NEDC cycle. Plenty to get you to the golf club, sorry… social media consultancy conference on the Facebook campus, and back.

In Callum’s words, the interior is “very much the template for our future touchscreen technology.” Perhaps that should be touchscreens technology, because there are many. The 12in instrument panel is, naturally, digital, while a central 12in touchscreen sits above a lower “minor” TFT screen with rotary dials (also with screens on them) either side. “I’m a big fan of the tactility of these rotary controls as opposed to a huge iPad in the dash – iPads are fine in your living room, but not at 80mph,” said Callum.

A full-length glass roof pours in daylight and helps maximise the feeling of space, while the area beneath the dash where a transmission tunnel would normally be is kept completely clear. And then there’s the details, the flashes of personality that Callum calls “the sort of stuff, being British, you do because you can”.

Cricket-ball stitching on the leather seats, the coordinates of the design studio lasered into the dash, the imprint of a glove on a tray above the glovebox, all as necessary as an ashtray on a motorbike, but key in showing this is a car designed by passionate human beings, not pie charts.

And yet Jaguar could be saving its ultimate weapon until last, because the I-Pace’s price should be remarkably palatable. We’ll know precise figures when the full production car is revealed in late 2017, but for now Jag says add 10 or 15 per cent to a similarly equipped F-Pace and you’re there. So, if a top-spec V6 F-Pace costs around £52k, that makes the I-Pace a snip at £60k.

Compare that with the Tesla Model X, which starts from £73k for a 60D, the cheapest Model X it sells in the UK, capable of 0-62mph in six seconds and 259 miles on a charge. Seven seats, although not offered on the I-Pace, are a £3,600 option on the Tesla, too.

Callum is bullish about its chances: “One of the main reasons we’ve done an electric car this way, is that our number one selling vehicle is the F-Pace, and we want to give the I-Pace the best opportunity to find a market straight away, without any hesitation. We don’t want any excuses.” Deliver on the price, performance and revolutionary styling, and they won’t need them.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-17-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

I'm not entirely sure here, but the couple seconds you see of the sun roof in this video almost looks like they might have some solar panels built into it. Would certainly be cool if you could be charging the batteries while driving, though with two electric motors, it probably couldn't charge very efficiently from a roof panel....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Looks like a bigger Dodge Caliber.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I'm not entirely sure here, but the couple seconds you see of the sun roof in this video almost looks like they might have some solar panels built into it.
    Not a solar panel it's tiny little LEDs to make it look nice. Apparently unlikely to make it to the production model maybe too expensive or a pain to maintain?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What makes that an SUV?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's more of a "crossover SUV". Not quite an SUV, but definitely not the typical Jaguar body style either. If they can get it on the market before Tesla's own crossover SUV model, it will probably work in Jaguar's favor. If I remember correctly, Jaguar is still connected to the Ford (no relation) corporate structure somehow, so that should help them with worldwide distribution.
    Last edited by FORD; 11-18-2016 at 05:01 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

US consumers don't like the term "station wagon" any more so everything is an SUV.

Are they still called estates over there Sesh?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    US consumers don't like the term "station wagon" any more so everything is an SUV.
    That thing's not a station wagon, SUV or crossover. It's a 4 door hatchback.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post

Are they still called estates over there Sesh?
    Yeah most do still.

I had a Volvo V70 estate for a long time as a punishment I inflicted on myself after breeding and my big stupid car crash.

I'm not surprised that they are trying to move away from the 'station wagon' name it's really not sexy.

SUV was always called a 4X4 over here but that's changing and I think we all be using that.

I totally agree that thing to me is not an SUV or 4X4. It's just a chunky saloon. I have always had a serious problem with 'real' SUVs in that over here they were allowed different rules for crashing at it's peak you had a bunch of rich wives driving these massive vehicles with fucking bars on the front literally killing dozens of children in school run accidents. It's got a bit better now but it still grates with me over here that you have rich people who live in London driving big Land Rovers or whatever killing children on the school run.

Now I'm getting shit from the (non driver) SM who wants me to buy one because in a moment of utter lunancy I agreed she could buy a couple of horses.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-18-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's more of a "crossover SUV". Not quite an SUV, but definitely not the typical Jaguar body style either. If they can get it on the market before Tesla's own crossover SUV model, it will probably work in Jaguar's favor. If I remember correctly, Jaguar is still connected to the Ford (no relation) corporate structure somehow, so that should help them with worldwide distribution.
    They're now owned by The Tata Group of India...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup. Tata ended up with Jag and Land Rover. Ford got rid of Volvo and Aston Martin as well...Volvo is owned by China's Geely.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holy Krishna! Did those "IRS" phone scammers steal enough money that they can afford to buy Jags and Land Rovers??

Thread Information