Thread: Van Hagar To Tour In 2017

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Ed prefers to sell striped shoes and trinkets.
    Well there's that ! Good for him. He figured out a way to stay home and fuck the old lady.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Well Van Halen hasn't planned anything that far out for years. Simply bullshit. Honestly who the fuck is falling for this shit ? If it does happen it won't be planned til next summer by that logic. So that means it's not planned yet. The last thing they put an effort into was A.D.K.O.T. That took a year according to Roth.

You wouldn't agree that everybody would have to clear their schedules this far in advance if they want to do it next fall?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    You wouldn't agree that everybody would have to clear their schedules this far in advance if they want to do it next fall?
    78/84 guy is clearing his schedule right now! He'll be there front and center!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2022 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,468 Posts

Will Spanishflyguy come out of retirement for this EPIC tour?
    Last edited by WARF; 11-23-2016 at 07:56 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

According to some dude commenting at VHND, this is all your fault "WART"

"Dickskus • 12 hours ago
    This rumour was started by a brain-dead idiot named Wart."

6. 5 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (11-23-2016),Seshmeister (11-24-2016),vandeleur (11-23-2016),WARF (11-23-2016),ZahZoo (11-24-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

"Dickskus • 12 hours ago
    Wart ain't brain dead - he's still cashing my checks!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"Dickskus • 12 hours ago
    If Warf did start this rumor he deserves to be honored in same way here at the Roth Army.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ok here is the real scoop of why thinking in more than one dimension is relative to your position in the world of listening to "things".

Mike can never tour with Van Halen because he only played on a few songs perhaps none, on any given album as quoted by Ed.

Didn't Ed say he played all those bass tracs..? Overdubbed/Corrected.. Mike's parts, so why would Ed want Mike on stage with Roth or Spatula..?

Whoever, is playing bass for the Van Halen is infringing of Eds "intellectual property" thus he would have to bring suit upon the party of the second part.

That is why Flatulus Spamulus is constantly getting restraining orders leveled against him for playing VH music.He was just a replacement hired to attract a certain section of the purchasing public not that there is anything wrong with that those or them, the other half ....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Dave, can play anything from the original (6) because he was actually in the band Mike was evidently just a sexy sexy romance book cover style model hired to attract women that actually have jobs and a specific demographic not generally associated with the other generally perceived styles of members of rock bands.

See how easy is all is if youthink befopre you post...

simple like rock and roll...easy to find the reality in 2 or more dimensions.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    If any staff member here wants to bring traffic to this site. I'll be glad to add you to my page for news updates.
    You still have a page..? Still waiting on that traffic. Must of gotten blocked by election protestors and BLM parades...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Schedules ? What schedules ? These guys are multi millionaires siting on thier asses. So no I don't. Other than setting up the buildings to play in and when.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Schedules ? What schedules ? These guys are multi millionaires siting on thier asses. So no I don't. Other than setting up the buildings to play in and when.

I grant ya that in the case of the Van Heineken's, but I believe Bette and the Velveetas were planning on doing something for around that timeframe....

In addition, promoters have to start planning for a fall arena tours right around now.....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I dunno...

This isn't like it's late 2003 all over again, when I was still hoping Roth would rejoin Van Halen for a reunion tour and work on some new material together, thus the prospect of Hagar rejoining the band then seemed like (only because it was) yet another case of Eddie fucking up.

I mean, Dave got back together with the band. And to Dave's credit he did an excellent job fronting them on the first reunion tour. In point of fact, Dave basically carried that entire tour, because Ed wasn't able to bring his best to the proceedings. Dave stepped up his game and rose above what he was turning in performance-wise at his solo shows from 2003-2006. Dave had something to prove on that first Van Halen reunion tour, and he did. No question about it.

Since that first reunion tour, we've got one studio album (half of which was reworked old 1970s demos - none of which were really an improvement on the tunes in their original form, and the rest were 50% semi-disposable and 50% quite good: only Chinatown really rose to the level of CVH excellence), one mundane live album and two more tours where it has become readily apparent that Dave is no longer interested in his vocal approach: he either can't - or won't -sing the tunes in-key. So, he can't jump, he can't scream, he really can't sing well...but he CAN do his patented Crazy Uncle Dave Funky Chicken Dance Moves complete with 'jazz hands' and a wardrobe on loan from the Hugh Hefner Collection...with plenty of matching Peach Melba ascots and breast pocket handkerchiefs!

I mean, considering what Van Halen has devolved into - basically as others on this thread have said in that Van Halen are an aging nostalgia act - what difference does it make what happens with the band at this point?

It doesn't even matter to me anymore. The 2015 tour was the first time I had no interest in seeing the band, and virtually all of that attitude was directly because Roth got lazy after the first reunion tour and started phoning his vocals in. A bit of a shame, because the Van Halens still play the material quite well. In 2012, at the show I saw Eddie was doing exactly what he needed to do to make the show worthwhile for me. Roth wasn't, and nothing I heard from the last tour made me think 2012 was an anomaly far as Dave was concerned.

Roth has had it, and while I have no interest in seeing Van Halen without Roth in it I have less interest in seeing Van Halen with an underperforming Roth in it. I mean, fuck me, I schlepped out to see Dave perform at a RibFest in 2005 and a small 1-2,000 seat venue in 2006, and I enjoyed both shows. I've always enjoyed what Dave brought to his shows but the last 2 Van Halen tours were not pleasant to listen to. His voice is pretty much fucked and he is coasting. I'd rather not see him at all than see him fumbling around, warbling the lyrics in an off-key yelp.

Besides, Van Hagar Mach 3 should be good for some giggles. I guess it's a matter of perspective: I can laugh at Van Hagar turning in lame live performances, whereas watching Van Halen with Dave turn in lame performances just makes me wish they would stop.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Roth has had it, and while I have no interest in seeing Van Halen without Roth in it I have less interest in seeing Van Halen with an underperforming Roth in it.

I can't speak for anyone else Terry, but I sure hope you don't think that merely because I'm throwing out possible justifications on why Bette may indeed be returning would actually mean I would go see that clusterfuck.....

I wouldn't go watch 2 hours of Dig It Ya'll ballads if you gave me a free ticket.....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I can't speak for anyone else Terry, but I sure hope you don't think that merely because I'm throwing out possible justifications on why Bette may indeed be returning would actually mean I would go see that clusterfuck.....

I wouldn't go watch 2 hours of Dig It Ya'll ballads if you gave me a free ticket.....
    Put it to you this way:

I could see from Ed's perspective that if Roth isn't up to snuff anymore, Hagar is really the only other choice he has to front the band if he wants to keep performing.

I'll add that even if Roth were singing noticeably better AND Mike rejoined the band for a CVH Farewell Tour, at this point I'd only have a marginal (at best) interest in seeing THAT lineup: these guys just got old, you know?

It's not even a case of my hating Hagar (he's far too average to be anything other than merely forgettable), rather that I just don't have any use for Van Hagar's music: I had no interest in seeing them in 1986 or 1988 when I easily could have, and when THAT lineup was at their best, so naturally it follows that I have no interest in seeing them in 2016.

I love Eddie Van Halen's playing on those CVH records. I always have. I still enjoy listening to it. It's just not worth spending nickel one and a minute of my time to actually go and hear Eddie play live anymore if Roth is going to turn in shitty lead vocals. I have no use for the music Ed wrote after Roth left the band, so naturally I have no interest in going to see Eddie play Van Hagar music.

However, I can understand why someone might want to go see Eddie play, even if he's playing songs from an era of Van Halen they don't like: Ed's getting up there in age. He has gone through a cancer scare, several other ailments and fought to finally get sober. He played very well on the 2012 and 2016 tours. If he remains healthy and sober, he will probably play well on a Van Hagar reunion tour, and these days each tour could be the last chance one has to hear one of the few living rock guitar legends left live in the flesh.

I've seen Ed in 1984, 2008 and 2012. If I never hear him live again, I won't have any regrets about it. Far less regrets than seeing him fucked up and unable to play well like I did in 2008, or playing well yet being offset by terrible lead vocals like I did in 2012.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I didnt see the last tour. I had zero interest in it..other than night one. After that its just the same damn show played the same damn way. No thanks.. I got to see cvh in 81..82 and 84..2 reunion tours..Let it die Ed..

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Put it to you this way:

I could see from Ed's perspective that if Roth isn't up to snuff anymore, Hagar is really the only other choice he has to front the band if he wants to keep performing.

I'll add that even if Roth were singing noticeably better AND Mike rejoined the band for a CVH Farewell Tour, at this point I'd only have a marginal (at best) interest in seeing THAT lineup: these guys just got old, you know?

It's not even a case of my hating Hagar (he's far too average to be anything other than merely forgettable), rather that I just don't have any use for Van Hagar's music: I had no interest in seeing them in 1986 or 1988 when I easily could have, and when THAT lineup was at their best, so naturally it follows that I have no interest in seeing them in 2016.

I love Eddie Van Halen's playing on those CVH records. I always have. I still enjoy listening to it. It's just not worth spending nickel one and a minute of my time to actually go and hear Eddie play live anymore if Roth is going to turn in shitty lead vocals. I have no use for the music Ed wrote after Roth left the band, so naturally I have no interest in going to see Eddie play Van Hagar music.

However, I can understand why someone might want to go see Eddie play, even if he's playing songs from an era of Van Halen they don't like: Ed's getting up there in age. He has gone through a cancer scare, several other ailments and fought to finally get sober. He played very well on the 2012 and 2016 tours. If he remains healthy and sober, he will probably play well on a Van Hagar reunion tour, and these days each tour could be the last chance one has to hear one of the few living rock guitar legends left live in the flesh.

I've seen Ed in 1984, 2008 and 2012. If I never hear him live again, I won't have any regrets about it. Far less regrets than seeing him fucked up and unable to play well like I did in 2008, or playing well yet being offset by terrible lead vocals like I did in 2012.

Yup, completely see what you mean....

If Dave's vocals were "normal" (whether those yelps are intentional or not), this wouldn't even be a topic IMO... Sure I would've loved to eventually see Mike re-replace Wolf and have the original band back together one last time.... But even if it were still Wolf, if Dave were to sing the songs like they're meant to be sung, that's still a no-brainer compared to Van Velveeta....

Yes, even though the deep cuts have been fantastic to hear live once again, I don't know how long they can (could?) run out the same batch of hits every few years without any new material.... Personally, yes I would still go assuming it's fairly close, there are worse things to do than listen to Van Halen....

Having said all that, I simply think that it's clear that Dave's voice is shot (no crime at age 62 - he's human), and while Bette's voice isn't exactly sounding like it's 1982 either, it's still serviceable....

So you combine that with what I'm absolutely sure is a package deal to also include Mike, they kiss and make up, and voila, you've got Van Hagar Part 3....

Will it sell well? Not especially, but they did have a run of commercial hits, albeit sappy ballads... I saw figures from PollstarPro that said that while I thought the 2015 VH tour had a pretty respectable showing at most of the venues that I saw pics/video, officially the average attendance was approximately 10,500 per show.... I don't see Sam's return beating that....

18. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-13-2017)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For me personally, I would have as much interest in a 2017 Sam Halen tour as I did in the 2004 tour- zero. That said, in some small, probably irrational way, it would bug me on a couple of levels if they reunited with Sam and toured. For starters, I consider the Sam version of VH to be lesser and inferior and VH just ain't VH without Dave as the front man. Secondly, if the Samburglar is back, Mike would most likely be back as well. If Ed can suck it up and have Mike back for Sam's sake, why the fuck couldn't he have made it work with any of these recent tours with Dave? Ed is the only reason we didn't see a proper VH reunion, so if he brings Mike back for a Sam tour, I might just have to send him a giant box of dicks for his next birthday (a box packed with pictures of himself would get the job done).

But in the grand scheme of things, whatever. I don't see any new material with Dave forthcoming and I'd fall on the "doubtful" side of another tour with Dave happening. If a Samburglar tour does go down, I hope Dave sees that as an opportunity- hook back up with the EEAS guys and go kick ass. Who cares if it's only 10 shows in 2000 seaters. Or better yet, release the John 5 album and do something with that.

Your move Dave.

20. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-02-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Am I the only person that prefers 2000 seaters to arenas?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Your move Dave.
    About the only thing Dave could do now is acoustic versions of his greatest hits but nobody seems interested in that.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    No but even here all the tickets for a 2000 seat performance by a popular act would end up in the hands of people with connections or people with deep pockets who bought them from the people with connections. Unless it was some one off show the act agreed to perform for past favors by a radio station or other business where the tickets were given away.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Nope.

The best sounding shows I've ever been to were in 2,000 seaters or less.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yup, completely see what you mean....

If Dave's vocals were "normal" (whether those yelps are intentional or not), this wouldn't even be a topic IMO... Sure I would've loved to eventually see Mike re-replace Wolf and have the original band back together one last time.... But even if it were still Wolf, if Dave were to sing the songs like they're meant to be sung, that's still a no-brainer compared to Van Velveeta....

Yes, even though the deep cuts have been fantastic to hear live once again, I don't know how long they can (could?) run out the same batch of hits every few years without any new material.... Personally, yes I would still go assuming it's fairly close, there are worse things to do than listen to Van Halen....

Having said all that, I simply think that it's clear that Dave's voice is shot (no crime at age 62 - he's human), and while Bette's voice isn't exactly sounding like it's 1982 either, it's still serviceable....

So you combine that with what I'm absolutely sure is a package deal to also include Mike, they kiss and make up, and voila, you've got Van Hagar Part 3....

Will it sell well? Not especially, but they did have a run of commercial hits, albeit sappy ballads... I saw figures from PollstarPro that said that while I thought the 2015 VH tour had a pretty respectable showing at most of the venues that I saw pics/video, officially the average attendance was approximately 10,500 per show.... I don't see Sam's return beating that....
    That was probably what I enjoyed best of the 2008 and 2012 shows I saw: the deep cuts. Particularly in 2012 when Ed was playing really well. I mean, shit, they were tearing into Girl Gone Bad and for a moment all that magic came flooding back. Seriously, I had fucking goosebumps listening to them playing that tune: Ed fucking KILLED. Instrumentally, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up The Sky, Feel Your Love Tonight and Dirty Movies sounded great on the last tour from the youtube stuff I saw.

I keep coming back to this point, but I will say it again in that Dave really stepped up his game in 2007-2008. His vocals sounded energized, he was making an effort not always apparent on the last couple solo gigs I had seen prior to the VH reunion, he was singing all the lyrics...great, great stuff.

From 2012 up to the present, he has that strained yelp working overtime, and it just...plain...sounds...bad. I'm not 100% sure his voice is totally shot, but I can't imagine it is less straining for him to yell the lyrics than it would be to simply sing them. So why does he go the yelp route?

If his voice IS shot, of course it's no crime considering his age. Shit, it's coming up on 40 years since the first album was released. It was furious hard rock performed by young men, and it's not a surprise that these same men hitting their 60s are having trouble keeping up with what they did in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Roth is an old man. I don't expect him to jump around onstage anymore, nor do I expect him to unleash one of those barefoot on hot coals screams.

I do require that he sing the tunes reasonably in key, though. Anything short of that, I pass. I had a chance to see and listen to several shows online at the start of the 2015 tour before tix for the one in my area went on sale. My wife was somewhat shocked because I said I had no interest. The venue they were playing at was literally 6 miles from our house, and tickets weren't too expensive and pretty easy to get. So it wasn't going to be a hassle getting there or getting home after, and it wasn't going to cost much, either. And I couldn't be bothered. And it was Dave's vocals, which sounded worse than what I heard in 2012, that made the decision very easy.

I'd tend to think a Van Hagar tour would do well if only because Ed in the end did reunite with Dave and they did manage to do a few tours and an album together (I'm not even including that live album, which was a bad joke: I'd sooner listen to my old audience-sourced 1981 boots than that album). So there shouldn't be any resentment about a Hagar reunion at this point in terms of it standing in the way of Dave being in the band. I mean, fuck's sake, they've been together for nearly a decade, and all we got was one new album out of it (half of which were remakes of leftovers), so it's not like a Van Hagar reunion in 2017 is going to interrupt some hot creative streak Dave and Ed have going on. And it's not like a Van Hagar tour in 2017 is going to rob Dave of precious time in terms of his live vocal abilities - he's all done in that respect, and has been for the last two tours. Plus, while there's no accounting for tastes, there are more than a few people out there who liked Van Hagar. If Hagar and Anthony rejoin Ed and Al for a tour, I'd imagine they'd be able to do a summer run of 10,000 seater sheds with not too many empty seats in the house. You gotta figure Hagar is even older than Roth, and realistically how many more tours is he gonna be able to do? Doubtless there will be plenty of people who will figure it could be the last time to hear that lineup play those tunes.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-02-2016 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Your mother's cunt smells like carpet cleaner

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Well, at least we can now debate the question we've all been keen to ask:

Will they play 'A Apolitical Blues'?

27. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-03-2016)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If Hagar and Anthony rejoin Ed and Al for a tour, I'd imagine they'd be able to do a summer run of 10,000 seater sheds with not too many empty seats in the house. You gotta figure Hagar is even older than Roth, and realistically how many more tours is he gonna be able to do? Doubtless there will be plenty of people who will figure it could be the last time to hear that lineup play those tunes.

The report is that it will be a fall tour, so that means arenas vice ampitheaters....

And with a fall tour, Samuel Roy Hagar will turn 70 on October 13th....

29. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-13-2017)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The report is that it will be a fall tour, so that means arenas vice ampitheaters....

I wonder if Van Hagar is gonna play Sam's Birthday Bash. Maybe Mtv can do another Cabo Wabo Contest!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Well, okay...that's fine from where I sit.

I mean, for whatever dismissive comments I have about Chickenfoot's or Hagar's abilities to draw sizable crowds to their shows, the fact of the matter is that Dave as a solo act hasn't been able to draw sizable crowds on the strength of his name since...what, 1991? The biggest live venture he was involved with post-1996 was the Sam and Dave tour: prior to that tour, he was an opening act for such bands as Bad Company in 1999. Should Roth leave Van Halen now and go back to being a solo act, he'll be back to doing that same circuit of small capacity venues/Ribfests/State Fair circuits that he has in the years between 2002 and 2007.

He is in a similar situation that Hagar is, in which Hagar's biggest touring venture since leaving Van Halen in 1996 was the Sam and Dave tour. Chickenfoot isn't selling out arenas, and Sam has been playing the same type of similar size gigs that Roth has been as a solo act.

Should Hagar rejoin Van Halen, the band should be able to fill 10,000 seaters, at least for one tour: it's the strength and visibility of the Van Halen name that enables this to happen. Doubtless there are all sorts of subcategories within the Van Halen fan base these days:

Casual fans who don't make severe distinctions between various lineups in terms of it being a deal breaker for buying a ticket or not.

Diehard Eddie fans who will pay to see him play regardless of who is singing for the band.

'Dave or the Grave' fans of that particular lineup.

Van Hagar fans who actually prefer that era of the band above CVH, but would still see VH w/ Roth (and those who wouldn't).

I would tend to think Van Hagar 2017 might need a stronger opening act in terms of name recognition and drawing ability than the ones who have opened for the group over the last 3 tours, and probably a rock act (as opposed to Ziggy Marley or Kool & The Gang), so as to ensure the venues come close to selling out. Motley Crue did the same thing with Alice Cooper on their last tour, where Cooper's name was an inducement and made sense in terms of the Crue audience. And possibly a stronger opening act than whatever band Wolfgang Van Halen is playing with (assuming Mike Anthony is to be part of a hypothetical Van Hagar 2017 tour).

But, yeah, Sammy Hagar is getting up there in terms of age. Or, rather, he is already up there. And while his voice has held out a bit better than Roth's has in terms of durability, even Hagar's voice isn't quite what it once was, either.

So, if they're gonna do it, sooner would be better than later.

However, if such a plan IS in the works, they've managed to keep it pretty quiet: if they were actually already rehearsing and were actually already making approaches to promoters for specific dates and venues, it's hard to imagine all of that wouldn't have leaked in a substantive way.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, okay...that's fine from where I sit.

I mean, for whatever dismissive comments I have about Chickenfoot's or Hagar's abilities to draw sizable crowds to their shows, the fact of the matter is that Dave as a solo act hasn't been able to draw sizable crowds on the strength of his name since...what, 1991? The biggest live venture he was involved with post-1996 was the Sam and Dave tour: prior to that tour, he was an opening act for such bands as Bad Company in 1999. Should Roth leave Van Halen now and go back to being a solo act, he'll be back to doing that same circuit of small capacity venues/Ribfests/State Fair circuits that he has in the years between 2002 and 2007.

He is in a similar situation that Hagar is, in which Hagar's biggest touring venture since leaving Van Halen in 1996 was the Sam and Dave tour. Chickenfoot isn't selling out arenas, and Sam has been playing the same type of similar size gigs that Roth has been as a solo act.

Should Hagar rejoin Van Halen, the band should be able to fill 10,000 seaters, at least for one tour: it's the strength and visibility of the Van Halen name that enables this to happen. Doubtless there are all sorts of subcategories within the Van Halen fan base these days:

Casual fans who don't make severe distinctions between various lineups in terms of it being a deal breaker for buying a ticket or not.

Diehard Eddie fans who will pay to see him play regardless of who is singing for the band.

'Dave or the Grave' fans of that particular lineup.

Van Hagar fans who actually prefer that era of the band above CVH, but would still see VH w/ Roth (and those who wouldn't).

I would tend to think Van Hagar 2017 might need a stronger opening act in terms of name recognition and drawing ability than the ones who have opened for the group over the last 3 tours, and probably a rock act (as opposed to Ziggy Marley or Kool & The Gang), so as to ensure the venues come close to selling out. Motley Crue did the same thing with Alice Cooper on their last tour, where Cooper's name was an inducement and made sense in terms of the Crue audience. And possibly a stronger opening act than whatever band Wolfgang Van Halen is playing with (assuming Mike Anthony is to be part of a hypothetical Van Hagar 2017 tour).

But, yeah, Sammy Hagar is getting up there in terms of age. Or, rather, he is already up there. And while his voice has held out a bit better than Roth's has in terms of durability, even Hagar's voice isn't quite what it once was, either.

So, if they're gonna do it, sooner would be better than later.

However, if such a plan IS in the works, they've managed to keep it pretty quiet: if they were actually already rehearsing and were actually already making approaches to promoters for specific dates and venues, it's hard to imagine all of that wouldn't have leaked in a substantive way.
    Did you read the post on the Main page?

I've been told Ed would like to consider doing it sooner than the Fall, but he has a lot going on with the EVH brand right now, and they would need to start booking the sheds very very soon, as a lot of these bands are now booking so far in advance, it will soon be too late to get a whole route/tour scheduled in these venues. I don't believe they are far enough along in this idea, to have started rehearsing.

I believe Van Hagar could absolutely sell 10,000 seaters for one tour. Especially in major cities. The last Van Halen tour while heavily papered in a lot of the cities, was still selling well in the most major markets. You have stated quite well in your posts, why the last tour didn't sell well in a lot of places. In fact, a lot of what you stated is exactly why I went to the show in London, Ontario (and to see Twonabomber and some crazy ass Canadians!) and skipped the show right here in my own back yard. I could have had 6th row on Ed's side, for face value the day of the show, and passed.

I'm over it. With the way they have treated us, for so long, I am fucking over it. If they could have all performed like Dave did in '07, and the rest of the band did in '15, I'd be more inclined to go to more than one show. But at this point, I don't think it is possible. As much as it pains me to say it, I truly believe it is time for Dave to move on. My vote is for him to release the John 5 album.

The only thing this band has left for me, is the release of at least one of the old shows. I'd much rather sit on my couch, and watch one of those shows at ear splitting volume, than go see what I saw in 2015, again. In fact, at this point, I'd choose to sit on the couch and watch my grainy, shitty sounding version of the US Festival, than I would go see what I saw in 2015, again.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Fucking vonzie is a mean ol grizzly bear .... he is like the Roth army equivalent of quint in jaws

34. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (12-03-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It fills my heart with Heavenly Joy to know that Ed knows him and his brother and his kid couldn't fill a Walmart without Dave or Sam up there. And then the ultimate insult - he's gotta kiss Mike's ass every damn nite by pretending to like him. When do the motherfucking tickets go on sale, Vonzie Claus?? I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Fucking vonzie is a mean ol grizzly bear .... he is like the Roth army equivalent of quint in jaws
    I was somewhat distracted when I first read this... I thought it said "Fucking vodka" and you were referring to Sesh...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They will sellout 10.000 seaters? Like they did in 2004 when they had to put black blankets on the empty seats?

Only if they do a Co - headlining tour...make it 5.000 seaters. That's what KISS is drawing these days. Van Hagar won't be doing better.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Frankly, this is the only reason why I went to the RHRN tour and the VH III tour....

I mainly spent the RHRN show in the lawn arguing with Hagaritas...

And the VH III tour laughing at Cherone....

39. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-13-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    They will sellout 10.000 seaters? Like they did in 2004 when they had to put black blankets on the empty seats?

Only if they do a Co - headlining tour...make it 5.000 seaters. That's what KISS is drawing these days. Van Hagar won't be doing better.

Yeah, they were tarping entire upper decks in some places....

I do think it'll be closer to 10,000 than 5,000, though, due to the commercial hits (lame as they are)....

Plus, as Terry said, there are many, many music fans that will go to a Van Halen show without even knowing or caring who's singing.... Frankly, as long as Ed is there, they can have a few expensive beers and have a good time with their friends....

That won't be me if Van Bette comes to fruition, but anyway....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Well if they want to play sheds there won't be any tarps on the lawn. I can't remember a show at Blossom that was pavilion only with no lawn seats sold. They'll either paper the shit out of it (like VH last year) or just let people on the lawn into the pavilion.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    The only thing this band has left for me, is the release of at least one of the old shows. I'd much rather sit on my couch, and watch one of those shows at ear splitting volume, than go see what I saw in 2015, again. In fact, at this point, I'd choose to sit on the couch and watch my grainy, shitty sounding version of the US Festival, than I would go see what I saw in 2015, again.
    That's one thing we've overlooked...if Ed makes peace with Mike, does that put us closer to a CVH video release? Or, with Dave being out, would Ed not consider it?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    It fills my heart with Heavenly Joy to know that Ed knows him and his brother and his kid couldn't fill a Walmart without Dave or Sam up there. .
    I disagree. If the Van Halens looked back and realized where they went wrong before Dave quit and put a little effort into finding someone like Steve Marriott to front the band they might be able to resuscitate rock and roll before it's dead and buried. If they had done that back in 85 there might not be a Roth Army now.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    That's one thing we've overlooked...if Ed makes peace with Mike, does that put us closer to a CVH video release? Or, with Dave being out, would Ed not consider it?
    Doubtful. I think the band's decision to release that turd of a live album they put out last year coupled with Ed's now infamous "Dave's not my friend" interview were all leading up to another tour and live album from Van Hagar. I don't think Ed ever really forgave Dave for quitting the band whether he was driven to it by Ed or not and then out rocking Van Hagar for at least one maybe two albums instead of morphing into the next KC of KC and the Sunshine band he so wanted to become.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post

Yes, but don't forget that it was well known via social media before the 2004 tour even started that Ed was in dreadful shape, just as it is well known now that Ed has been sober for quite a while now and is playing much better than he was back in 2004.

Also, KISS has been churning out a much larger number of tours over the last 20 years than Van Halen has, and Van Hagar has only toured once in the last 20 years: if KISS can still sell out 5,000 seaters with 2 scabs and Paul's voice being fucked, Van Hagar shouldn't have any problems doing the same or better with a fully functional EVH playing well along with Mike Anthony rejoining.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Did you read the post on the Main page?

I've been told Ed would like to consider doing it sooner than the Fall, but he has a lot going on with the EVH brand right now, and they would need to start booking the sheds very very soon, as a lot of these bands are now booking so far in advance, it will soon be too late to get a whole route/tour scheduled in these venues. I don't believe they are far enough along in this idea, to have started rehearsing.

I believe Van Hagar could absolutely sell 10,000 seaters for one tour. Especially in major cities. The last Van Halen tour while heavily papered in a lot of the cities, was still selling well in the most major markets. You have stated quite well in your posts, why the last tour didn't sell well in a lot of places. In fact, a lot of what you stated is exactly why I went to the show in London, Ontario (and to see Twonabomber and some crazy ass Canadians!) and skipped the show right here in my own back yard. I could have had 6th row on Ed's side, for face value the day of the show, and passed.

I'm over it. With the way they have treated us, for so long, I am fucking over it. If they could have all performed like Dave did in '07, and the rest of the band did in '15, I'd be more inclined to go to more than one show. But at this point, I don't think it is possible. As much as it pains me to say it, I truly believe it is time for Dave to move on. My vote is for him to release the John 5 album.

Yeah, I did read it, although honestly I tend to answer by way of whatever is on my mind even if is at best tangential to the specified thread-starter post: just be thankful I tried to keep it within the general framework of the topic, since I could have as easily given a multi-paragraph dissertation as to why I prefer Fruity Pebbles to Lucky Charms.

Yeah, it would have been quite a good show to have attended, should the band have been able to match what they have done on an instrumental level in 2012-2015 to what Roth brought to the stage in 2007/2008: sadly, it looks more and more like that was Dave's Last Hurrah.

I think a Van Hagar reunion, particularly if it is a one-off tour, would sell enough tickets to make the rounds of 10,000 seater venues a viable business undertaking. A decent name opening act a la Alice Cooper on the last Crue tour would seal the deal.

I tend to think Dave would be better served moving on as well, although I'm really not anticipating any future solo endeavors from him, either: I don't think he has some kind of 'EEAS 2' release hidden up his sleeve in terms of quality. Probably closer to his last full-length solo album (which had one good track - Thug Pop), or Van Strumming or Wacky Uncle Dave's Lullabyes For Kiddies In The Style Of Van Halen than something good like The DLR Band CD.

Shit, all I would want - all I have wanted for a decade or more - is to have all those old CVH shows cleaned up and released...even though there isn't really much of a dvd market left to release them to anymore...THAT is an indication of how much time has been wasted, where the tangible formats for such a release have vanished in the amount of years Eddie has been content to put Franky Stripes on shoelaces and coffee mugs.

46. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (12-03-2016)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shit, all I would want - all I have wanted for a decade or more - is to have all those old CVH shows cleaned up and released...even though there isn't really much of a dvd market left to release them to anymore...THAT is an indication of how much time has been wasted, where the tangible formats for such a release have vanished in the amount of years Eddie has been content to put Franky Stripes on shoelaces and coffee mugs.
    What? Striped shoelaces? Where do I get them?

48. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-13-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tweet wouldn't embed.....

This is just a coincidence, I'm sure of it....

From Janie VH.....

Still so relevant to what is happening in our world "Right Now".
    #timeless #truth #factsoflife #problems

Then a link to the "Right Now" video.....

Yeah, just a coincidence.....
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-03-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information