Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    There were several issues with Van Hagar. The cheesy lyrics and Clichegar sounding pretty much the same on all the songs are a couple. But I think the biggest issue is, the songs just came too easy. I don't think they put in the work on the songs with Clichegar, that they did with Dave. Also, there really wasn't any conflict or aggression in most of those songs. I don't think it is a coincidence that the consensus among most is, Humans Being is probably one of the best songs of the Van Hagar era. Before the horrific few songs they did in 2004, Humans Being was the last song they wrote together. There was massive tension at that time, as it was the end of the road for Van Hagar. I think it makes a big difference when everything isn't always fun and games, and you're not all on the same page, even though you all have the same goal.

Not to mention my age old theory on what every great band needs, and that is chemistry. Van Hagar had okay chemistry, but Van Halen had knockdown drag out chemistry. Chemistry that was developed over many years of hard work, and playing anything and everything. It's the reason Dave era Van Halen can cover virtually any song ever written and Van Halenize it making it their own. Not many bands can cover any song, and make it as great or greater than it was originally. Dave era Van Halen could do that. I attribute that to Dave more than the Van Halens, but they also played a lot of different styles of stuff in their youth, and it helped them immensely. I do not believe Dave had great chemistry with the EEAS band, as I don't believe Van Hagar had great chemistry. For all the yapping by the ched heads about how great Clichegar's range is, and how much better of a singer than Dave he is, he cannot cover just anything. Clichegar can only cover stuff that is in his type of singing. Dave can cover ANYHING, and if it's not great, it's still pretty fucking good. I mean look at all the stuff Dave has covered over the years. Solo and with VH. He fucking nails everything.

Ray once told me when he was in the DLR Band, they'd go sit out in Dave's backyard and Dave would bring out a ghetto blaster with all different genres of music. They would sit out there and work on, and jam those songs for hours and hours, learning every single thing about them. He said Dave was adamant about being both versatile, and diverse. Dave also demanded that of Van Halen. Whether or not the VH brothers would admit that was a big part of their success, I don't know. But as Greg wrote about in his book, those guys worked their asses off honing their craft. Playing everywhere and anywhere. They never did, or had to do that, with Clichegar. They were already established, and so was he. The effort just wasn't there.
    I think so...I think so...to all of what you said.

Van Hagar really only had two types of songs. Hard rock tunes (which sometimes used a combo of keyboards and guitar, but were usually guitar-oriented) and synth or piano-driven ballads with a guitar solo thrown in. I mean, I suppose one could call Finish What You Started sort of country-esque, Can't Stop Loving You was a guitar-based pop ditty and Best Of Both Worlds was a guitar-based pop rock tune. Those three were pretty much it in terms of diversity from the main two Van Hagar song types.

And as you said, it all sounded like it came way too easy. Little to no tension in any of it. Virtually none of it sounded like at any time Hagar said to Eddie "hey, that tune might need some work"...Ed plays something, Hagar says "sounds great!" and puts whatever lyrics and vocals he wants over it, end of tune.

Also as you said, Hagar has a pretty small wheelhouse in terms of his stylistic comfort zone. For whatever technical vocal shortcomings Roth may have had vs. Hagar, Hagar had a limited vocal range he was comfortable with. Hagar had no bottom end to his voice.

I mean, you look at probably the most-lamented CVH album Diver Down and look at the degree of stylistic variation on it, then try and find one Van Hagar album that is comparable in that aspect: you can't. Van Hagar albums went hard rock tune, synth ballad, couple of hard rock tunes, piano ballad, another hard rock tune, rinse, lather and repeat.

That's what made Humans Being stand out the way it did in 1996: you could hear the band trying again, and you could hear the tension in the music. By that point in Sam Halen's career, they were no longer smiling and publicly high fiving each other every 5 seconds when they were working together. Sam and Eddie weren't getting along at that point, and out of that came something by Van Hagar standards that was fairly compelling.

Maybe if Ed and Sam didn't start that instant bromance from the moment they hooked up in 1985, where every musical utterance was met with uncritical Happy Happy Joy Joy glee, Van Hagar would have produced more tunes that had that compelling tension. That lineup got too satisfied too quickly with what they were doing, and that bred the complacence that set in just as quickly.

Clearly, Eddie wasn't at his best when he was his happiest. He said he wanted to quit in 1981 during the making of Fair Warning. Listen to how that album turned out. Ed claimed he was happy during the making of Van Halen III ("Gary's a brother" blah blah blah), where he took total creative control of the band. Listen to how THAT album turned out. No, really, YOU listen (please don't make me listen again).
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-01-2017),DLR Bridge (06-25-2017),Von Halen (06-02-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    The Van Halens are so fucking clueless..ya see the instagram clip of Ed playing that same old elephant and horse sounds? Why not a clip of a killer new riff that hasnt been heard?...fuckin clueless..

Not to mention basically the same solo since, what, the Diver Down tour?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hell, he was noodling Mean street/spanish fly/cathedral while doing eruption in '81...

5. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Appears F A T S P A M M Y has his drummer for the tour

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    She's "hard core" Van Halen, too unlike you cretins, in a non-homoerotic kind of way

Check out the Different Kind of a Turd t-shirt and she plays way better than F A T Alex.
    Last edited by Kristy; 06-20-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

She's also a fan of your favorite band!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...eunion-w489226

Just like I predicted, look at what Bette said....

I'd say, "Dave, you go out and play two songs, then walk off the stage. I walk out, I'll do two songs. I'll walk off, you do two songs." Can you imagine the competition of that? Dave goes out and does "Jump," and "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love." I go out there and blow out something like "Good Enough." You gotta hit it hard, and you better be good. I would give my money to food banks if they would do the same. I would love to give the fans the greatest Van Halen show they could possibly have today. And then say, "OK, I still don't like you guys."

He doesn't care about the money, he wants to rub it in Roth's face. While Hagar's voice has weakened as well at age 70, it's not to the point of the yelping that Dave has done the last two tours....

10. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-25-2017),Terry (06-25-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If this is going to happen at all, I would say the following ground rules must be set:

1) Dave doesn't sing "Jump" or "I'll Wait".

2) Spam doesn't sing any of his cheese ballads. (In fact, Eddie can just leave the synthesizer at home)

3) Neither of them sings "Panama". It's been performed on every tour since 1984. Wouldn't hurt to skip it.

4) Mike Sobolewski plays the bass. Wolfie's clearly got other musical involvements, so no loss for him, really.

5) Do something really bizarre for an encore like a cover of The Band's "The Weight" and have Dave, Spam, Mikey, and Ed each take the lead vocal on a verse (which is pretty much how The Band did it, and also The Grateful Dead when they covered it live)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    He doesn't care about the money, he wants to rub it in Roth's face. While Hagar's voice has weakened as well at age 70, it's not to the point of the yelping that Dave has done the last two tours....
    Oh, PLU-EEEZE.

Van Halen were a poor man's Montrose cover band. So it would be fitting for them to do strictly Montrose songs, fleece their fans, and fuck off into the night.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...eunion-w489226

Just like I predicted, look at what Bette said....

I'd say, "Dave, you go out and play two songs, then walk off the stage. I walk out, I'll do two songs. I'll walk off, you do two songs." Can you imagine the competition of that? Dave goes out and does "Jump," and "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love." I go out there and blow out something like "Good Enough." You gotta hit it hard, and you better be good. I would give my money to food banks if they would do the same. I would love to give the fans the greatest Van Halen show they could possibly have today. And then say, "OK, I still don't like you guys."

The greatest possible show Van Halen fans could have today would be CVH reuniting.

Truth be told, even that show now wouldn't be nearly what it could have been 20 years ago when it should have happened in the first place.

But all that the band needs to do to bring about a semi-honorable ending to the group is to take it back to where it began.

Because THAT is what fans want to see.

Fans don't want to see David Lee Roth's participation in Van Halen dictated by whatever Sammy Hagar thinks appropriate. "Uh, Dave does two songs, then he walks off, then I do two songs..."

Hey, fuck you, Hagar. Van Halen didn't become a world-class rock act in the first place on the basis of your dictates: you were writing songs for Rick-fucking-Springfield (you know, songs that WEREN'T 'Jessie's Girl') while Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony were conquering America.

Were it not for what Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony built, you wouldn't have had a diamond selling act to step into: your first album with Van Halen didn't move 6 million albums on the back end of the I Can't Drive 55 'hysteria'.

In conclusion, show (for once) a little fucking respect for the institution that was built prior to your arrival...the institution you had no part in building.

You wanna do Van Halen fans a favor? Persuade Mike Anthony and the Van Halens to do a tour with Roth.

Fuckin' asshole.

14. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-24-2017),DLR Bridge (06-25-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I truly dont want to see anything by Van Halen..unless its NEW..dont need to see a tired, same old song and dance.Touring is useless, with or without MA, if they are gonna stick to the script of playing the same songs nightly. Put out a new lp, mix up the setlist, and maybe I'm interested.

16. 2 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (06-25-2017),Terry (06-25-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Nope, Von Pussy's massive ego is at stake! We all have to look like Kool Aid swelling idiots because someone jerked off Von's microcock with their chubby thumb and forefinger...
    Pathetic & embarrassing really. I can see why I don't log on here much anymore. Boring, & run by morons.

18. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-26-2017)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The greatest possible show Van Halen fans could have today would be CVH reuniting.

Truth be told, even that show now wouldn't be nearly what it could have been 20 years ago when it should have happened in the first place.

But all that the band needs to do to bring about a semi-honorable ending to the group is to take it back to where it began.

Because THAT is what fans want to see.

Fans don't want to see David Lee Roth's participation in Van Halen dictated by whatever Sammy Hagar thinks appropriate. "Uh, Dave does two songs, then he walks off, then I do two songs..."

Hey, fuck you, Hagar. Van Halen didn't become a world-class rock act in the first place on the basis of your dictates: you were writing songs for Rick-fucking-Springfield (you know, songs that WEREN'T 'Jessie's Girl') while Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony were conquering America.

Were it not for what Roth, the Van Halens and Anthony built, you wouldn't have had a diamond selling act to step into: your first album with Van Halen didn't move 6 million albums on the back end of the I Can't Drive 55 'hysteria'.

In conclusion, show (for once) a little fucking respect for the institution that was built prior to your arrival...the institution you had no part in building.

You wanna do Van Halen fans a favor? Persuade Mike Anthony and the Van Halens to do a tour with Roth.

Fuckin' asshole.
    There's no reason for Dave to agree to any sort of co-headlining tour, so what's his motivation here? He's just dying to wait in the wings waiting his turn while watching Hagar strut around in Capris while licking his fingers to Poundcake? I think not. I don't know what Sam's motivation is, but to me it reeks of a backdoor way to be back in VH (such as it would be) because it seems like Ed has zero interest in getting Sam's version back together, so something is better than nothing.

I see VH as being a mansion built by Al, Dave, Ed and Mike. They were the guys out there sawing, pouring cement and pounding nails. Hagar is the dude who shows up, grabs a beer and pats himself on the back for how fucking awesome the place is when his contribution amounted to being the guy who kept the lawns mowed and the leaves out of the pool.

20. 2 users say thank you to chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (06-25-2017),Terry (06-25-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    I truly dont want to see anything by Van Halen..unless its NEW..dont need to see a tired, same old song and dance.Touring is useless, with or without MA, if they are gonna stick to the script of playing the same songs nightly. Put out a new lp, mix up the setlist, and maybe I'm interested.
    Which is fair enough, really: if you look at the output from the last ten years of Dave's participation, pretty slim pickings.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    There's no reason for Dave to agree to any sort of co-headlining tour, so what's his motivation here? He's just dying to wait in the wings waiting his turn while watching Hagar strut around in Capris while licking his fingers to Poundcake? I think not. I don't know what Sam's motivation is, but to me it reeks of a backdoor way to be back in VH (such as it would be) because it seems like Ed has zero interest in getting Sam's version back together, so something is better than nothing.

I see VH as being a mansion built by Al, Dave, Ed and Mike. They were the guys out there sawing, pouring cement and pounding nails. Hagar is the dude who shows up, grabs a beer and pats himself on the back for how fucking awesome the place is when his contribution amounted to being the guy who kept the lawns mowed and the leaves out of the pool.
    I think Sam's motivation is the same it has always been with regard to Van Halen.

He honestly believes what he and Eddie created is right up there with what Lennon & McCartney, Jagger & Richards, Page & Plant and any other number of legendary, iconic rock acts created. He talks about having elevated CVH to a higher level, mostly based on the amount of #1 albums Van Hagar had and number of singles which charted as compared to CVH. Total album sales be damned (and even with those, Hagar tends to combine the total number of album sales the band had throughout its existence rather than differentiate between the albums he wasn't involved in).

It clearly sticks in his craw that his last tour with the band was unanimously regarded as a disaster, against which the subsequent tours - for all their flaws - appear to have been successful by comparison. The tracks he did for the BOBW album are largely forgotten, as opposed to the two tracks Roth did in 1996 (just the mere mention of them being recorded, mind you) sparking a massive amount of interest in CVH reuniting.

Hagar wants one more shot with Van Halen to prove his tenure with the band was something other than a lengthy afterthought which continues to pale against the memory of the original, definitive version of the band, and that the interest in Van Hagar wasn't something largely inherited from what CVH had already achieved prior to Hagar's arrival.

As if Hagar continuing to say that he was as important as Roth and Sam Halen's music was as important as Van Halen's will eventually change the conventional wisdom around toward his version of reality.

23. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (06-25-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    If Roth's sense of ego remains the same as it always has, he'll stay far away from any co-headlining Van Halen tour.

If for no other reason than that the reality now, as Va Beach VH Fan said, is that Roth's voice live is far less of what it used to be than Hagar regarding his own voice. Hagar's voice has, frankly, held up much better than Dave's.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think Sam's motivation is the same it has always been with regard to Van Halen.

He honestly believes what he and Eddie created is right up there with what Lennon & McCartney, Jagger & Richards, Page & Plant and any other number of legendary, iconic rock acts created. He talks about having elevated CVH to a higher level, mostly based on the amount of #1 albums Van Hagar had and number of singles which charted as compared to CVH. Total album sales be damned (and even with those, Hagar tends to combine the total number of album sales the band had throughout its existence rather than differentiate between the albums he wasn't involved in).

It clearly sticks in his craw that his last tour with the band was unanimously regarded as a disaster, against which the subsequent tours - for all their flaws - appear to have been successful by comparison. The tracks he did for the BOBW album are largely forgotten, as opposed to the two tracks Roth did in 1996 (just the mere mention of them being recorded, mind you) sparking a massive amount of interest in CVH reuniting.

Hagar wants one more shot with Van Halen to prove his tenure with the band was something other than a lengthy afterthought which continues to pale against the memory of the original, definitive version of the band, and that the interest in Van Hagar wasn't something largely inherited from what CVH had already achieved prior to Hagar's arrival.

As if Hagar continuing to say that he was as important as Roth and Sam Halen's music was as important as Van Halen's will eventually change the conventional wisdom around toward his version of reality.
    I definitely agree that the '04 shit show tour is a strong motivator for Sam and I understand why. Ed was in top form in '12 and '15 and was a drunken mess in '04, so I'm sure Sam feels cheated in that regard. But, as we've discussed around here before, '04 was as much on Sam as it was Ed because Sam knew the shape Ed was in and went forward anyway, although he's attempted to deflect that a bit with his "deep contracts" commentary about how punitive it would have been to him financially if he'd bailed on that tour.

Dave refused to share the stage with him in '02 when Dave was at a much lower point in his career, so why would he suddenly do it now? Does not compute for me. On a side note, it's too bad that Me Wise and Can't Get This Stuff have fallen in to an era that the band has basically erased from memory because I enjoy both those songs and would love to hear them live.

26. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I definitely agree that the '04 shit show tour is a strong motivator for Sam
    That and the opportunity to quit playing 3000 seat casinos..at least he " Sold Out"....

https://www.tulalipresortcasino.com/...ipAmphitheatre

28. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-25-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What? Spam's playing at the Tulalip casino on Thursday? Funny how I've heard NOTHING about this show on the radio. Even on the stations which occasionally play Van Hagar songs before my brain is caffeinated in the morning and put me in a shitty mood all day, as a result.

I've never been to that casino, but I'm assuming it's the same size venue as any of the other tribal casinos around the region, so I'm actually surprised he could sell tickets without publicity.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I definitely agree that the '04 shit show tour is a strong motivator for Sam and I understand why. Ed was in top form in '12 and '15 and was a drunken mess in '04, so I'm sure Sam feels cheated in that regard. But, as we've discussed around here before, '04 was as much on Sam as it was Ed because Sam knew the shape Ed was in and went forward anyway, although he's attempted to deflect that a bit with his "deep contracts" commentary about how punitive it would have been to him financially if he'd bailed on that tour.

Dave refused to share the stage with him in '02 when Dave was at a much lower point in his career, so why would he suddenly do it now? Does not compute for me. On a side note, it's too bad that Me Wise and Can't Get This Stuff have fallen in to an era that the band has basically erased from memory because I enjoy both those songs and would love to hear them live.
    Oh, were I in Hagar's shoes, I wouldn't want my last activity with Van Halen to be the BOBW tracks and the tour that followed, either. That is a totally understandable reaction on his part. And to piggyback on what you said, Hagar in book admitted when he first met up with Eddie in the late fall of 2003 or early 2004 (I can't remember offhand now exactly when it was), Hagar's first impression was that Eddie was fucked up. I don't know what the sequence of events was regarding the timing of when the tour was booked and when the contracts were signed and the particulars of the contracts in terms of Hagar being on the hook financially if he pulled out (was that from the get-go, did the band take an advance on the tour, was it after tickets went on sale, etc.). Hagar describes in detail how befuddled Eddie acted throughout the recording process for the BOBW stuff and how Eddie couldn't get through a full-set rehearsal because he couldn't remember the material well enough to play it. In the end, Hagar in essence says he put too much faith in his belief that Ed would get himself cleaned up so he could perform properly and be able to do the tour. I never heard Hagar say he would have been willing to refund anybody who saw those shows whatever he made off of them, which would have circumvented whatever liabilities or penalties Hagar would have garnered under breach of contract for bailing on the tour. Hagar did the tour, collected his money, didn't say shit while any of it was happening, then made some more money by turning around and using that stuff to sell a book a few years after the tour ended. So, the idea propagated by Hagar that HE was a class act through the 2004 debacle as opposed to Eddie...not so much.

Hagar and Anthony publicly bitched about how Dave refused to go onstage with them during the 2002 tour. I think Roth made a fairly obvious choice in that he knew teaming up with Hagar in 2002 would reignite media interest in Roth's solo career as a performing entity churning out the CVH hits in a way that probably nothing else Roth did in 2002 could have. Even with that being the case, I think Roth was still aware enough of the value of a Van Halen reunion that while it was one thing to hit the road fronting a bunch of unknowns playing the CVH stuff, getting up onstage with Hagar and Anthony in 2002 was relegating Roth to the second banana freak show status that Hagar and Anthony were so comfortable with...plus, doubtless Roth didn't want to be seen as needing a gimmick like having Mike Anthony appear with him onstage to pull off a good show.

I'd quite like to hear MWM and CGSTNM live, as well. I tend to doubt I will, but who knows? I will say that for the last three tours Van Halen has managed to insert a revolving selection of deep cuts into the sets, and vary them from tour to tour. So they've busted out over the last decade...what...The Full Bug, Little Guitars, Women In Love, Outta Love Again, Light Up The Sky, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad, Dirty Movies, Hang 'Em High, Little Dreamer, Atomic Punk...I wouldn't say either of the '96 tunes are totally outside the realm of possibility should the band undertake another tour.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    What? Spam's playing at the Tulalip casino on Thursday? Funny how I've heard NOTHING about this show on the radio. Even on the stations which occasionally play Van Hagar songs before my brain is caffeinated in the morning and put me in a shitty mood all day, as a result.

I've never been to that casino, but I'm assuming it's the same size venue as any of the other tribal casinos around the region, so I'm actually surprised he could sell tickets without publicity.
    Sammy's Circle Jerk is playing the Toledo Zoo Amphitheater (?) in September. Someone oughta bust him for animal cruelty!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Somebody think of the poor baby giraffe!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bassplayer was interviewed by the (worthless) local daily rag, promoting last night's Circle Jerk show at the Rocksino.

Q: Regarding the possibility of a Van Halen reunion, you recently commented the time was right. Why?

A: Well, I mean, partly because you obviously see all of these other bands doing it these days. And also for Van Halen’s fans. Maybe some kind of proper closure or something. I’m not sure. Everybody in the band is still relatively healthy and alive. So there’s one thing right there. And Sammy has brought it up quite a few times in interviews he’s done. He’d be open to doing a tour with him and Dave (Lee Roth) singing.

Q: More so, Hagar and Roth already toured together more than a decade ago.

A: Yeah, that tour started kind of harmoniously, but didn’t finish up that way. I went out and guested with Sammy on a handful of those shows and things got maybe a little strained. But at this point, I personally am through with all of the drama that comes with everything. I want to go out, play music and have a good time. I want to go to my grave a happy guy.

Full interview http://www.news-herald.com/arts-and-...und-the-circle

And a review of the Circle Jerk show https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...hard-rock-live

34. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Bassplayer was interviewed by the (worthless) local daily rag, promoting last night's Circle Jerk show at the Rocksino.

Q: Regarding the possibility of a Van Halen reunion, you recently commented the time was right. Why?

A: Well, I mean, partly because you obviously see all of these other bands doing it these days. And also for Van Halen’s fans. Maybe some kind of proper closure or something. I’m not sure. Everybody in the band is still relatively healthy and alive. So there’s one thing right there. And Sammy has brought it up quite a few times in interviews he’s done. He’d be open to doing a tour with him and Dave (Lee Roth) singing.

Q: More so, Hagar and Roth already toured together more than a decade ago.

A: Yeah, that tour started kind of harmoniously, but didn’t finish up that way. I went out and guested with Sammy on a handful of those shows and things got maybe a little strained. But at this point, I personally am through with all of the drama that comes with everything. I want to go out, play music and have a good time. I want to go to my grave a happy guy.

Full interview http://www.news-herald.com/arts-and-...und-the-circle

And a review of the Circle Jerk show https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...hard-rock-live
    I mean, I couldn't blame Anthony for just plain not wanting to get involved with the Van Halens or Roth at this point.

After decades of having his percentage in Van Halen whittled down, having Eddie reportedly playing most of the bass parts on the Van Halen III album and all of the parts on the BOBW stuff, only being allowed to play on the 2004 after Hagar insisted and apparently paying part of Anthony's end out of [Hagar's own], then having the indignity of Eddie as recently as 2 years ago publicly claiming he had to show Anthony what to play...could anyone really not understand why Anthony is no longer interested in being associated with all of that?

Like, how awkward would that feel for Anthony to take the stage with Roth and the Van Halens now for a tour? Touring with 3 guys who apparently never really valued what he brought to the group to begin with, and really haven't cared that he hasn't been around for some time now?

That Anthony would consider doing it for those of us who would still want to see it says something about him. He's a bigger guy than I am in that respect. For all the invectives that get tossed Anthony's way for being Hagar's butt sniffer or whatever because he has "taken Hagar's side" or "been disployal to the Van Halens" or whatever...hey, Hagar had Anthony's back in a way none of the Van Halens or Roth ever did when all is said and done. Loyalty is a two-way street.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

"Everybody in the band is still relatively healthy"...

Odd choice of words...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    "Everybody in the band is still relatively healthy"...

Odd choice of words...
    Well, they're all over 60 now. Eddie & Alex both apparently have bone issues (given the various spinal & hip issues) and there have been rumors about Dave having back issues for a while now. None of this all that unsual for people of that age who led the kind of lifestyles they did in previous decades.

For a band of geezers they're probably doing fairly well. How many bands of that age still have all the original members on this side of the cemetery grass?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

There was a clip somewhere (VHND maybe?) where Hagar says he'd do a VH reunion at 70, but not at 75. So it's either we've got four more years of listening to Spammy campaign to get back in VH, or this thread's original prediction comes true and we have something to complain about and goof on again.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Pathetic & embarrassing really. I can see why I don't log on here much anymore. Boring, & run by morons.
    Hagar hating is good for business. Make Roth Army great again!

40. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Hagar hating is good for business. Make Roth Army great again!

The Ched Rocker and the Cheeto.... a match made in HELL!

42. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, I couldn't blame Anthony for just plain not wanting to get involved with the Van Halens or Roth at this point.

After decades of having his percentage in Van Halen whittled down, having Eddie reportedly playing most of the bass parts on the Van Halen III album and all of the parts on the BOBW stuff, only being allowed to play on the 2004 after Hagar insisted and apparently paying part of Anthony's end out of [Hagar's own], then having the indignity of Eddie as recently as 2 years ago publicly claiming he had to show Anthony what to play...could anyone really not understand why Anthony is no longer interested in being associated with all of that?

Like, how awkward would that feel for Anthony to take the stage with Roth and the Van Halens now for a tour? Touring with 3 guys who apparently never really valued what he brought to the group to begin with, and really haven't cared that he hasn't been around for some time now?

That Anthony would consider doing it for those of us who would still want to see it says something about him. He's a bigger guy than I am in that respect. For all the invectives that get tossed Anthony's way for being Hagar's butt sniffer or whatever because he has "taken Hagar's side" or "been disployal to the Van Halens" or whatever...hey, Hagar had Anthony's back in a way none of the Van Halens or Roth ever did when all is said and done. Loyalty is a two-way street.
    I don't think I could blame anyone anyone at all ( name any band member & fans ) just plain not wanting to get involved with Van Halen at this point. It's about over really. I've always I enjoyed your takes Terry but...............I'd find a new band to follow.......Like someone else said a few pages back you seem more interested/involved taking more time to think about the legacy of this band past and present than well.....band members themselves ! Except Hag who won't shut his pie hole. 20, 10, or just 5 years ago there was reason for excitement thinking of what could be. Going back to 96. Or when Dave did get back in a decade ago. Sounding really great. New albums of strong material ? Lots of tours ? Fun interviews with Roth back in the spotlight. All kinds of stuff worth speculating about.......we basically got dick. One solid album and 3 fair tours. The thrill that could have been has passed. Way passed ! If only ? Would've, could've, should've. Or what we MN. sports fans always say. There's always next year right ? WRONG ! They blew it with Roth the second go round period. I guess a boatload of cash in their accounts will do that. They got to charge a lot more than $7.50 these last 3 outings. If they go out for their 40th. Great, I will go if Dave's there. That will be the only reason I will go. And of course Ed. Any sign of Hag with or without Roth no thanks. And I don't expect much from one of them at this point. Nostalgia will get me over the ticket price. Only because I think that might be it for them. Well Ed & Dave together. If it's not over now. Release the vaults at this point and I'm happy. The stuff from when Van Halen was really the real Van Halen.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 06-26-2017 at 05:14 PM.

44. 3 users say thank you to 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-26-2017),DLR Bridge (06-27-2017),Terry (06-26-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could blame anyone anyone at all ( name any band member & fans ) just plain not wanting to get involved with Van Halen at this point. It's about over really. I've always I enjoyed your takes Terry but...............I'd find a new band to follow.......Like someone else said a few pages back you seem more interested/involved taking more time to think about the legacy of this band past and present than well.....band members themselves ! Except Hag who won't shut his pie hole. 20, 10, or just 5 years ago there was reason for excitement thinking of what could be. Going back to 96. Or when Dave did get back in a decade ago. Sounding really great. New albums of strong material ? Lots of tours ? Fun interviews with Roth back in the spotlight. All kinds of stuff worth speculating about.......we basically got dick. One solid album and 3 fair tours. The thrill that could have been has passed. Way passed ! If only ? Would've, could've, should've. Or what we MN. sports fans always say. There's always next year right ? WRONG ! They blew it with Roth the second go round period. I guess a boatload of cash in their accounts will do that. They got to charge a lot more than $7.50 these last 3 outings. If they go out for their 40th. Great, I will go if Dave's there. That will be the only reason I will go. And of course Ed. Any sign of Hag with or without Roth no thanks. And I don't expect much from one of them at this point. Nostalgia will get me over the ticket price. Only because I think that might be it for them. Well Ed & Dave together. If it's not over now. Release the vaults at this point and I'm happy. The stuff from when Van Halen was really the real Van Halen.
    I think I was the one who a few pages back said I've put more thought into the band than they themselves have! And I honestly was only (at best) half kidding!!

I can't disagree with anything you said.

1996 was really the last time I actually got what I'd call 'excited' over the future prospects of the band. And Van Halen blew it in 1996.

By the time Roth re-rejoined in 2007, it was less a case of being excited than it was a feeling of 'about fucking time!' and Eddie's kid now being in the band wasn't exactly thrilling.

I thought ADKOT was a decent effort, perhaps more because it seemed half-miraculous we even got any Van Halen music at all than the intrinsic merits of the album itself. I mean, ADKOT was okay. Quite good in a few spots, forgettable in a few others.

But much like 1996, ADKOT didn't really end up being a catalyst to ushering in a new creative era. Or is a new album for every ten years of on-and-off touring what is to be expected from Van Halen these days in terms of output?

And like yourself, it's the unreleased CVH era stuff I find myself far more interested in than anything the band can potentially do in the future. I sat the last tour out because there was nothing happening at those shows that was essential to me.

But, I gotta tell ya, I'm crowding 50 years old: there really aren't any new bands I want to bother following at this point. Granted, continuing to follow Van Halen these days is a sure-fire recipe for a constant letdown...maybe I'll become a Red Rocker Red Head Ched Head instead, and just resign myself up front to a fandom celebrating mediocrity.

46. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-26-2017),DavidLeeNatra (06-26-2017),DLR Bridge (06-27-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think I was the one who a few pages back said I've put more thought into the band than they themselves have! And I honestly was only (at best) half kidding!!

I can't disagree with anything you said.

1996 was really the last time I actually got what I'd call 'excited' over the future prospects of the band. And Van Halen blew it in 1996.

By the time Roth re-rejoined in 2007, it was less a case of being excited than it was a feeling of 'about fucking time!' and Eddie's kid now being in the band wasn't exactly thrilling.

I thought ADKOT was a decent effort, perhaps more because it seemed half-miraculous we even got any Van Halen music at all than the intrinsic merits of the album itself. I mean, ADKOT was okay. Quite good in a few spots, forgettable in a few others.

But much like 1996, ADKOT didn't really end up being a catalyst to ushering in a new creative era. Or is a new album for every ten years of on-and-off touring what is to be expected from Van Halen these days in terms of output?

And like yourself, it's the unreleased CVH era stuff I find myself far more interested in than anything the band can potentially do in the future. I sat the last tour out because there was nothing happening at those shows that was essential to me.

But, I gotta tell ya, I'm crowding 50 years old: there really aren't any new bands I want to bother following at this point. Granted, continuing to follow Van Halen these days is a sure-fire recipe for a constant letdown...maybe I'll become a Red Rocker Red Head Ched Head instead, and just resign myself up front to a fandom celebrating mediocrity.
    Well the history of what Van Halen was will always be worth celebrating......I guess that's what these Van Halen/Roth websites have mostly become. What Ed didn't want Van Halen to become. Nostalgia. I guess I'm at the point of how many times can we break down what Fair Warning was about, or meant to us ? I'm starting to find it boring. Not the music but the talk of what was, could have & should be. I check in from time to time. But.......it's almost like nothing has changed in a decade with these guys. A good album and the tours are almost a side note. Sure A.D.K.O.T. generated some worthwhile excitement at the time. Then Dave comes out sounding mediocre on the tour. The live Tokyo album was a waste of time. Other than an excuse to tour. And Dave again comes out sounding mediocre. It makes the what next (if there is one ) kind of.......oh hum. I'm hoping they go out with some kind of bang next year. A good album ( I won't hold my breath ) and Dave giving a shit on stage again. ( I won't hold my breath ) If not ? Oh hum......the classic music is still there I guess.

48. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well the history of what Van Halen was will always be worth celebrating......I guess that's what these Van Halen/Roth websites have mostly become. What Ed didn't want Van Halen to become. Nostalgia. I guess I'm at the point of how many times can we break down what Fair Warning was about, or meant to us ? I'm starting to find it boring. Not the music but the talk of what was, could have & should be. I check in from time to time. But.......it's almost like nothing has changed in a decade with these guys. A good album and the tours are almost a side note. Sure A.D.K.O.T. generated some worthwhile excitement at the time. Then Dave comes out sounding mediocre on the tour. The live Tokyo album was a waste of time. Other than an excuse to tour. And Dave again comes out sounding mediocre. It makes the what next (if there is one ) kind of.......oh hum. I'm hoping they go out with some kind of bang next year. A good album ( I won't hold my breath ) and Dave giving a shit on stage again. ( I won't hold my breath ) If not ? Oh hum......the classic music is still there I guess.
    Oh, yeah, for sure...I mean, I can still listen to any of those 6-pack albums, and the music still sounds just as vital to me as it did back then. That CVH stuff continues to resonate like a motherfucker all these years later to my ears.

Far as posting about that stuff, I'd agree there really isn't too much more left to say that is worth reading: in many ways, the music continues to speak for itself in a way that mere words don't really do justice to.

What the band has devolved into over the last 2 decades is just this aging soap opera, and it's understandable that people continue to talk about the soap opera, because virtually none of the musical output over the last 2 decades is even worth talking about.

And I'd agree on the whole that the long-awaited Roth reunion hasn't exactly produced stellar results. The band just waited too long to get their shit together. Dave was good on the first reunion tour. Ed wasn't. Dave was half-assing it the second reunion tour, Ed had regained his abilities. The Tokyo Dome album was a bit of an embarrassment, far as I am concerned: this is the one official live release representing what Roth did with the band? A bit pathetic. And Dave's abilities continued to wane on the last tour...

I mean, in retrospect, the band really did end in 1985. Everything since then has been them basically picking at the carcass, and what is left now is some pretty thin, meatless gruel. Like, Van Halen now as a performing entity are really no more special than any other number of aging rock acts churning out the greatest hits, minus some definitive members, and not able to cut the mustard 100%. And that's just not good enough for me to spend time and money seeing anymore.

Yeah, it'd be neat if Anthony rejoined and CVH did a tour next year, gave it their best shot, then called it a day. It's really the only scenario I'd consider paying to see. Like you, I won't hold my breath, either: these guys have sadly proven amazingly adept at fucking up what should be a sure thing.

The classic music IS still there...forever. Still so good it manages to age better and better with each passing year, unlike the group themselves.

50. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-26-2017)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Maybe ADKOT should have been called Lazarus reflex.
    Think that's the jerky movements things make after they are dead

52. 3 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-26-2017),DavidLeeNatra (06-27-2017),Terry (06-26-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shame Gene Simmons didnt manage this band..we would be up to our ears in CVH videos and unheard tracks. Perhaps the Cap Center show in Largo would have been an official release. Probably the best recorded show Ive seen....at least the US festival would be officially released.As far as ADKOT, it was awesome imo other than sounding like it was recorded in a barrel...There is an alternate version of DTNA out there that sounds great...$immons would have recorded, and released, it all..

54. 2 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-26-2017),Terry (06-26-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Maybe ADKOT should have been called Lazarus reflex.
    Think that's the jerky movements things make after they are dead
    I don't think they were completely dead yet. But the blood was spilling out. Honestly the 3 Van Halen's have sounded decent on stage the last few tours. I miss Mike but Wolf can play great & sing decent enough. Ed had his issues in 07. But he ended that tour strong. I have a killer boot from Baltimore 08. It's on You tube. A great show. They sound just as good as they did if not better than the Diver Down & 1984 tours that got sloppy IMO. In all reality, sadly it's been Roth's issues holding them back from sounding worth the ticket prices the last few outings.

56. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-26-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ahh what happened to the drive..old age sucks

58. 2 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-26-2017),Terry (06-26-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    ADKOT was overall decent.

Blood and Fire, Chinatown & As Is are, five years later, the tracks that I still actively play...as in, every so often, I have a specific urge to hear those tunes. The rest of it is just okay. On the whole, in some ways much, much better than I would have thought the band were capable of coming up with when the news leaked out that they were making a new album.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't think they were completely dead yet. But the blood was spilling out. Honestly the 3 Van Halen's have sounded decent on stage the last few tours. I miss Mike but Wolf can play great & sing decent enough. Ed had his issues in 07. But he ended that tour strong. I have a killer boot from Baltimore 08. It's on You tube. A great show. They sound just as good as they did if not better than the Diver Down & 1984 tours that got sloppy IMO. In all reality, sadly it's been Roth's issues holding them back from sounding worth the ticket prices the last few outings.
    I will say - and I've said this a bunch of times, so apologies for repeating myself - in 2008 in Tampa I thought Roth was just spot-on. He had really upped his game from where it had been for the last several years of his solo appearances. He sang virtually every verse, made an effort with his vocals, didn't muck around with endless stage patter between tunes. He approached the gig like he had something to prove again, and prove it he did. Eddie started out sort of wobbly at the beginning of that show, and went downhill.

2012 Tampa, Ed was totally on point and knocking it out of the park. All three Van Halens at that show - even Wolf - stepped up and got the job done. Sadly, Roth started taking lazy live vocal shortcuts again, decided to yell his way through tunes in a strained yelp and it just plain didn't sound good.

The 2015 stuff I saw on youtube was more of the same: the Van Halens got the job done, while Roth really wasn't up to the task any longer. I could give him one subpar tour a la 2012. 2 tours in a row demonstrates a pattern, and what he is bringing to the stage now is neither acceptable to me nor is it something I want to see or hear. I no longer pay premiums to see iconic living rock legends if they can't deliver the goods, and Dave hasn't demonstrated an ability to deliver. I take no pleasure in saying that. It didn't make me feel good to pay $125 a pop to see them in 2008 and see Eddie put on a drunken, shitty performance, nor pay the same price 4 years later and hear Roth sound goddamned awful.

I'd still get a kick out of seeing a Van Halen show - Anthony or no - if the entire band is sounding good. Bad enough I've had to see only 3/4's of the CVH lineup twice, but when only 3/4's of THAT lineup are playing well...nope. Not for me.

61. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-28-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, they're all over 60 now. Eddie & Alex both apparently have bone issues (given the various spinal & hip issues) and there have been rumors about Dave having back issues for a while now. None of this all that unsual for people of that age who led the kind of lifestyles they did in previous decades.

For a band of geezers they're probably doing fairly well. How many bands of that age still have all the original members on this side of the cemetery grass?
    If they're smart (no, really) they'd better not wait too much longer... Rush is pretty much shut down now due to Alex and Neil's arthritis and tendonitis, respectively....

Thread Information