ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    What are they going to do with the Palace now that the Pistons are moving downtown?
    Razing it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    You have got to be one of those dogs that does nothing but chase its tail.
    And lick its balls
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

I've told this story many times, but in 1984 my buddy Barrie, who had been front row with me for the 4 previous tours, and I decided we were going to join the Navy. We go to the recruiting office, and we're talking to the recruiter. We get down to the nitty gritty and he tells us we'll need to go home and pack, as we'd be leaving in the morning. I'm like "In the morning as tomorrow morning?" He tells us yeah, that's the deal, we sign up and then leave in the morning. Now I don't know the real logic in that, other than they might want to move fast so you didn't have time to change your mind, back in those days, but that's the way he presented it. Anyway, I tell the guy "I can't leave tomorrow, Van Halen is in town next week". He tells me if I'm signing up, I'm leaving in the morning. Long story short, I never went in the Navy. Barrie did, and hated every second of it. I still have Barrie's full ticket from the show, that he never got to use.

Van Halen had the biggest stage show/production of any rock band touring in 1984, period. However, to me, the "stage show" and some of the production hurt the '84 tour. The flow of the show just wasn't as good with all the extracurricular crap. Dave had to change costumes every other song it seemed, do his sword routine, the long drum, bass and guitar solos. I don't know, the previous shows seemed more straight ahead in your face rock music shows, than productions. I never wanted VH to go stadiums, even though I would have loved to have been at the US Festival.

I still don't care for Stadium shows to this day. I saw several bands at the Pontiac Silverdome. Didn't care for that. I prefer a more intimate show.

That's strange, Von.... I signed up for the Navy in March 1983 but I didn't fly to San Diego for boot camp until November..... Maybe that recruiter had to fill his quotas faster, dunno....

I don't want to stress the stadium angle TOO much, but rather how VH would have been regarded had the original four members stayed together.....

But just for the fuck of it, I just looked at Zep's last US tour in '77.... There were a handful of stadiums, but the majority of the tour were arenas for multiple nights.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    That's strange, Von.... I signed up for the Navy in March 1983 but I didn't fly to San Diego for boot camp until November..... Maybe that recruiter had to fill his quotas faster, dunno....

I don't want to stress the stadium angle TOO much, but rather how VH would have been regarded had the original four members stayed together.....

But just for the fuck of it, I just looked at Zep's last US tour in '77.... There were a handful of stadiums, but the majority of the tour were arenas for multiple nights.....
    Yeah, maybe. All I know is Barrie left the next day, and I didn't! It may have been a quota thing. Wichita isn't exactly a big city.

I've always preferred smaller venues, but even more so these days.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I piss on car tires and growl at waiters or waitresses that try to take my plate before I'm done too.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My experience was a bit different as well. After I talked to the recruiter and did some tests in his office he took me to the AFEES station near downtown L A. After I finished a fairly long physical I was sent to an office full of squids and checked out a couple offers. I scored an 85 on my ASVAB so I had plenty of options. Since I was trying to enlist in one of the largest cities population wise in the U S most of the offers I got would put me on delayed enlistment for six months or more. Eventually I decided to join The Navy Reserve which got me in in three. When it was time to start boot I had to go back to the AFEES station and take another physical. I found out when I was in boot it's harder to join from a big city than a small town because all the Armed Forces branches have quotas. You could be a dumbass from some podunk little town and go right in but you could be a genius from L A or some other big city and wait 6 months to get in.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think you are cuntfusing him with FuckFish...

Where is that pussy..? Hagar news like this should have brought him out more excited than Mr Wanker with a new fucking Christmas Compilation!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    And lick its balls
    Nope. I don't sniff butts either.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I think you are cuntfusing him with FuckFish...

Where is that pussy..? Hagar news like this should have brought him out more excited than Mr Wanker with a new fucking Christmas Compilation!!
    He is busy with Mean Machine, rehearsing their Van Hagar setlist.

10. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (12-19-2016),ZahZoo (12-10-2016)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    True, I guess the point that I'm making is that post-1984 tour that's the trajectory that VH was on....

The vast majority of us saw VH on the 1984 tour... We saw firsthand what an event (not just a concert) Van Halen coming to town had become by that point....

I had the pleasure of seeing VH in southern California in San Diego that year... They were there for 2 nights over the weekend..... San Diego is a fairly large city, you couldn't go anywhere without people talking about VH.... Downtown, beaches, you name it.....

I just think, if done right (which is a big IF, of course, in hindsight), they could have been hitting that elite level of bands.... IMO their combination of fantastic music and stage shows gave it at least a possibility....
    Yeah, I'd tend to think many of us here only got the chance to see CVH on the 1984 tour. That was the only tour I got to see them on, and I had only just started going to concerts when they came to town. In fact, I had to get up very early and hustle over to the local mall record store in order to get in line and get tickets when the record store ticket box office opened.

Like Von said, the 1984 tour in terms of production was SPECTACULAR. Still to this day one of the biggest I've ever seen in an arena, and definitely the biggest in terms of production that year. But it was also exactly like Von said in that because of all the costume changes, various solos and whatnot the band weren't able to do more than a few tunes in a row before somebody took a solo, or Dave told some jokes.

For me, Van Halen did hit that level of elite bands by the time 1984 rolled around. When they came to Rhode Island that year, it was all anybody was talking about in the weeks leading up to the show, keeping in mind that the show was in mid-March and only Jump had been released as a single off the 1984 album at that point.

The thing of it is, "that elite level of bands" seemingly goes hand in hand with massive stadium shows. I mean, The Stones 1989 Steel Wheels show was THE biggest stage show I've ever seen anywhere...ever. I wouldn't say it was the best show on a musical level, though.

I'm sure Van Halen could have went on to do shows on that scale. They had no problems headlining the US Festival in terms of confidence and command of the stage and the performance (keeping in mind they were all half bombed at that gig). It's just as well they didn't.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One of these guys thinks the report was leaked to the Army from SAM's people....

Oy vey.....

https://twitter.com/ddunchained/stat...74832948367362
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 12-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One of these guys thinks the report was leaked to the Army from SAM's people....

Oy vey.....

https://twitter.com/ddunchained/stat...74832948367362
    Did I say Dave was reuniting with the EEAS band?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I listen to a lot of podcasts but they need to improve the sound quality if they want a lot of people to go over 2 hours with that.

On their point, I don't think it's a good idea for us to respond to theories about who the sources are since people will just try and narrow it down.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I listen to a lot of podcasts but they need to improve the sound quality if they want a lot of people to go over 2 hours with that.

On their point, I don't think it's a good idea for us to respond to theories about who the sources are since people will just try and narrow it down.
    Their sound sucks ass.

I was going to tweet them that they're fucking idiots that obviously don't know how to read, but are very good at contradicting themselves. Fucking idiots.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How long do they talk about Clichegar? I'm 20 minutes in, and they are still talking about him. I really can't take much more of this.

17. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-11-2016)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Not really direct competition, but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are touring April through August.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Their sound sucks ass.
    It's the audio version of Hardknockz' blurry-ass videos that he'd steal from us!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Claiming Sam got the '04 VH tour because of the '02 Sam and Dave tour? These guys are idiots.

21. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-11-2016)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Claiming Sam got the '04 VH tour because of the '02 Sam and Dave tour? These guys are idiots.
    Slappy got the call for the 2004 tour because Al needed to pimp his brother for cash and they needed a singer.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Did I say Dave was reuniting with the EEAS band?
    You intimated it....

"We have no idea if they'll be able to pull it off, or to what extent, but we're told Diamond Dave is trying to get the EEAS band back together, and this time it won't be for a one off gig, like the one that got shut down by the fire marshals in Los Angeles."

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

True, I guess the point that I'm making is that post-1984 tour that's the trajectory that VH was on....

The vast majority of us saw VH on the 1984 tour... We saw firsthand what an event (not just a concert) Van Halen coming to town had become by that point....

I had the pleasure of seeing VH in southern California in San Diego that year... They were there for 2 nights over the weekend..... San Diego is a fairly large city, you couldn't go anywhere without people talking about VH.... Downtown, beaches, you name it.....

I just think, if done right (which is a big IF, of course, in hindsight), they could have been hitting that elite level of bands.... IMO their combination of fantastic music and stage shows gave it at least a possibility....
    Absolutely...they could have easily reached that level mid tour in 84...they could have played twice as many shows in each city time permitting...which it wasn't. Proper management could have taken advantage and moved to larger venues quite easily...let alone the follow up year(s)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    How long do they talk about Clichegar? I'm 20 minutes in, and they are still talking about him. I really can't take much more of this.
    I gotta tell you, even the last interview of Roth I listened to on (I think it was) the Joe Rogan radio show several years back was a bit of an endurance test to get through, much less a couple of podcasters talking about Hagar.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Absolutely...they could have easily reached that level mid tour in 84...they could have played twice as many shows in each city time permitting...which it wasn't. Proper management could have taken advantage and moved to larger venues quite easily...let alone the follow up year(s)
    Oh, of course I'd agree with that, too.

In point of fact, I think the Providence show I saw in 1984 was (If memory serves correctly) one of at least two shows they did in Providence, and they did multiple back to back sold out dates in probably half the venues they played on that tour. They were shit hot in terms of demand on that tour.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Buffalo is only a couple hours away but I don't think I'd go even if the show was here.
    I did take a look...lower bowl, middle...$95-$250

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Too much.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

Buffalo is only a couple hours away but I don't think I'd go even if the show was here.
    I sure am not!

They're going to be at the now New Era Field or "The Cap" (formerly Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium). I can only imagine the shitfit Orchard Park will throw if Axl pulls his start-the-show-late antics. And I was never a big fan anyways...

It might be a decent tailgate venue but I'm certain beer sales will be off long before they take the stage...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-13-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    I did take a look...lower bowl, middle...$95-$250
    Buhuhawhaw!! I might go if you paid me $250 and threw in free food and booze. But that chunk to see those knuckleheads? No thanks!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

AAAAAAAUUUGGGGH!!

God damn KZOK is playing "Right Now" at fucking 7:00 AM

That is too goddamned early for a Van Hagar assault on the ears.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    AAAAAAAUUUGGGGH!!

God damn KZOK is playing "Right Now" at fucking 7:00 AM

That is too goddamned early for a Van Hagar assault on the ears.
    And you will sing it all day in your head! That's why I stopped waking up to a radio alarm!

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I gotta tell you, even the last interview of Roth I listened to on (I think it was) the Joe Rogan radio show several years back was a bit of an endurance test to get through, much less a couple of podcasters talking about Hagar.
    What if Von and I were guests would you listen then?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Only if you promise to ask Joe how Flappo's doing.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

wrong podcast

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah...yeah, I would, actually.

I'd sooner want to listen to you and Von on a podcast talking about Van Halen than another David Lee Roth interview. Mostly because I always enjoy reading what you and Von have to say about Van Halen. I mean, clearly Von is a Nazi Klansman, but he knows his Van Halen! Partly because I don't think Roth has much left of interest to say about Van Halen anymore: he always seems to be hedging in the few interviews he has done over the last 8 years when the subject of Van Halen comes up, I imagine because Dave wants to keep the peace within the band.

Like, the only things of interest I'd want to hear from Dave about Van Halen anymore would be specific questions about the financial/contract circumstances surrounding his return, and how he felt touring with a fucked up Eddie in 2007/2008...and a lot of targeted, micro-inquiries that I'd enjoy hearing real responses to. As opposed to his "David Lee Roth: Rock Star" persona he adopts when giving interviews. You know, with all the unfunny one-liners he cracks himself up by saying and all that jazz.

Some of the best interviews Roth gave were in 1997 in the form of several long sit downs in the wake of the 1996 fallout, where Roth just let his thoughts and feelings rip in an honest way.

39. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (12-17-2016)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    When are the Von & Sesh Show™ podcasts going up..?

Finally some exciting news around here... with new cuntent!!

41. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (12-18-2016)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Some of the best interviews Roth gave were in 1997 in the form of several long sit downs in the wake of the 1996 fallout, where Roth just let his thoughts and feelings rip in an honest way.
    Did he have anything to say about the comments Ed and Alex (mainly Ed) made about his appearance on that awards show about what a goofball he (Roth) had morphed into? As far as you know has he ever spoken about the interview Ed gave right before the last tour where he said they weren't friends?
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 12-18-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Come on vonzie give us the inside news seeing a couple of tweets saying news from the vh camp imminent.
    Involving dlr ????
    Your thoughts ?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Come on vonzie give us the inside news seeing a couple of tweets saying news from the vh camp imminent.
    Involving dlr ????
    Your thoughts ?
    I stand by my original post. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow. But obviously, I don't think I will be.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Involving dlr ????
    Your thoughts ?
    Post em up so we can ridicule I mean discuss them

46. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (12-22-2016)

Thread Information