ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    If they're smart (no, really) they'd better not wait too much longer... Rush is pretty much shut down now due to Alex and Neil's arthritis and tendonitis, respectively....
    Funny that I should read this right when "Closer to the Heart" is playing on the radio. Maybe Geddy Lee can join Yes? He did a pretty good job on "Roundabout" at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-06-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I will say - and I've said this a bunch of times, so apologies for repeating myself - in 2008 in Tampa I thought Roth was just spot-on. He had really upped his game from where it had been for the last several years of his solo appearances. He sang virtually every verse, made an effort with his vocals, didn't muck around with endless stage patter between tunes. He approached the gig like he had something to prove again, and prove it he did. Eddie started out sort of wobbly at the beginning of that show, and went downhill.

2012 Tampa, Ed was totally on point and knocking it out of the park. All three Van Halens at that show - even Wolf - stepped up and got the job done. Sadly, Roth started taking lazy live vocal shortcuts again, decided to yell his way through tunes in a strained yelp and it just plain didn't sound good.

The 2015 stuff I saw on youtube was more of the same: the Van Halens got the job done, while Roth really wasn't up to the task any longer. I could give him one subpar tour a la 2012. 2 tours in a row demonstrates a pattern, and what he is bringing to the stage now is neither acceptable to me nor is it something I want to see or hear. I no longer pay premiums to see iconic living rock legends if they can't deliver the goods, and Dave hasn't demonstrated an ability to deliver. I take no pleasure in saying that. It didn't make me feel good to pay $125 a pop to see them in 2008 and see Eddie put on a drunken, shitty performance, nor pay the same price 4 years later and hear Roth sound goddamned awful.

I'd still get a kick out of seeing a Van Halen show - Anthony or no - if the entire band is sounding good. Bad enough I've had to see only 3/4's of the CVH lineup twice, but when only 3/4's of THAT lineup are playing well...nope. Not for me.
    That about covers it. I'm not sure if you seen them before or after the Eddie break in that tour ? I saw them early on in 07. He played great. Than around the middle of the tour he feel apart. I remember a clip of him using a drum stick on his guitar solo. In Vegas maybe ? That's when my antenna when up that something was wrong with him. I don't know..... I really thought that Baltimore show was great energy and playing by all. With Dave singing well. They are ripping into Crossroads and doing loose endings jamming on Deep Purple. Dave doing motor sounds matching Ed's guitar. Just great stuff. Better than that Tokyo album. But like I said I will go see them if they do tour for their 40th. I think that will be it. At least with Dave. Anything else is a fraud with the Van Halen name attached to it. Even if he puts the same shitty effort of the last 2 tours in. I won't like it, but I'll be there.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-28-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    That about covers it. I'm not sure if you seen them before or after the Eddie break in that tour ? I saw them early on in 07. He played great. Than around the middle of the tour he feel apart. I remember a clip of him using a drum stick on his guitar solo. In Vegas maybe ? That's when my antenna when up that something was wrong with him. I don't know..... I really thought that Baltimore show was great energy and playing by all. With Dave singing well. They are ripping into Crossroads and doing loose endings jamming on Deep Purple. Dave doing motor sounds matching Ed's guitar. Just great stuff. Better than that Tokyo album. But like I said I will go see them if they do tour for their 40th. I think that will be it. At least with Dave. Anything else is a fraud with the Van Halen name attached to it. Even if he puts the same shitty effort of the last 2 tours in. I won't like it, but I'll be there.
    It's hard for me to remember, so I may have this wrong, but I think there may have been 3 legs to that 2007-2008 tour, where they did a few months worth of gigs then took a few weeks off. Tampa was in...March of 2008? Or February? Maybe even late January?

But I saw all of the 2007 rehearsal footage, and actually got some dvd boots of the earlier 2007 gigs - like, the first 6 or so shows of the tour - and Eddie was playing decent enough. Decent enough to the point where I figured by the time the band got to Tampa Ed would be firing on all points. Especially since they basically played the same set list night after night. So I bought tickets for Tampa. Definitely not one of the better shows I've been to.

If they announce a 40th/Farewell tour next year with the CVH lineup, THAT is something I would show an interest in seeing.

Short of that, I've already seen Van Halen MK 4 twice now. If it's going to be another one of those shows, even if it is announced as the "absolutely last time ever"...I'm gonna pass. I mean, I love what that fuckin' band was and what it meant to me then, and I love how the music made back then still kicks ass. I haven't felt anything along those lines even since Roth rejoined, shy of the period in 1996 when it was announced Roth was recording with the band. Van Halen 2007 to Present just wasn't able to get all the pistons firing simultaneously.

6. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (06-28-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It's hard for me to remember, so I may have this wrong, but I think there may have been 3 legs to that 2007-2008 tour, where they did a few months worth of gigs then took a few weeks off. Tampa was in...March of 2008? Or February? Maybe even late January?

But I saw all of the 2007 rehearsal footage, and actually got some dvd boots of the earlier 2007 gigs - like, the first 6 or so shows of the tour - and Eddie was playing decent enough. Decent enough to the point where I figured by the time the band got to Tampa Ed would be firing on all points. Especially since they basically played the same set list night after night. So I bought tickets for Tampa. Definitely not one of the better shows I've been to.

If they announce a 40th/Farewell tour next year with the CVH lineup, THAT is something I would show an interest in seeing.

Short of that, I've already seen Van Halen MK 4 twice now. If it's going to be another one of those shows, even if it is announced as the "absolutely last time ever"...I'm gonna pass. I mean, I love what that fuckin' band was and what it meant to me then, and I love how the music made back then still kicks ass. I haven't felt anything along those lines even since Roth rejoined, shy of the period in 1996 when it was announced Roth was recording with the band. Van Halen 2007 to Present just wasn't able to get all the pistons firing simultaneously.
    I don't know what month that Baltimore 08 show was ? I just thought it was musically as good as ANY Diver Down or 84 shows. The band is just hot. But yeah, far and few Between.....I just wish I had that as a REAL release over the beyond mediocre Tokyo c.d. Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ? I don't get it ? Dave lived there ? Who cares ? Pick a better show. Gee how about 1981 ? I guess that would have made sense.... Especially to the fans.

8. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-29-2017)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know what month that Baltimore 08 show was ? I just thought it was musically as good as ANY Diver Down or 84 shows. The band is just hot. But yeah, far and few Between.....I just wish I had that as a REAL release over the beyond mediocre Tokyo c.d. Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ? I don't get it ? Dave lived there ? Who cares ? Pick a better show. Gee how about 1981 ? I guess that would have made sense.... Especially to the fans.
    I believe the Baltimore show was in May of 2008. I thought that show was excellent. The Van Halens played well and Dave was on point and kept his "raps" to reasonable lengths. They should've released that show if they recorded it. The quality level of that show is what gives me a sliver of hope for the future. Unfortunately, that was nine years ago and Dave seems to have it in cruise control these days.

10. 2 users say thank you to chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-29-2017),Terry (07-01-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    I believe the Baltimore show was in May of 2008. I thought that show was excellent. The Van Halens played well and Dave was on point and kept his "raps" to reasonable lengths. They should've released that show if they recorded it. The quality level of that show is what gives me a sliver of hope for the future. Unfortunately, that was nine years ago and Dave seems to have it in cruise control these days.

May 15th specifically, it was part of the rescheduled shows... I took my son to the May 2nd show at UVA in Charlottesville and grabbed 6th row tickets that had freed up....

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

May 15th specifically, it was part of the rescheduled shows... I took my son to the May 2nd show at UVA in Charlottesville and grabbed 6th row tickets that had freed up....
    How was your show? Was it the quality of the Baltimore show (assuming you've seen all or part of that show)?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Ed said they recorded all the shows since Dave returned in 07 and we got that ?
    Pretty sure every show on that tour was bootlegged. All but the private show in Toronto.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How was your show? Was it the quality of the Baltimore show (assuming you've seen all or part of that show)?
    Well, being that close, it was fantastic.... Especially having my youngest son there, who was about 14 at the time....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Yeah it was mid May 2008 and after the 'wobble' Ed had in 2007 he came back playing well. I was at the show and it was great although being hyper critical, Ed was sober but not quite 100% at his best and was playing better in 2012. I thought Dave was particularly good that night which is maybe why people are saying they liked the boot. Slightly annoying that he didn't go around the 'vanity' circle apart from maybe once from memory on I'll Wait or I'd be in that video a lot more, I think I only spotted us once.

16. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-06-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I know these people usually know less than posters here do but ATCWR was introduced on a Classic Rock station I had on today with the line, 'Sammy Hagar says a new reunion tour is 'in discussion' or similar.

I used a sexual swear word.

Incidentally reading this thread noticed some stuff about morons running the site which we probably are but not for the reasons implied.

That front page was based on 2 different people from the Van Halen (not Hagar not Roth) camp telling us the same story a few weeks apart. Some of you will have seen/heard the interview with John Shanks a producer who has made many million selling albums for lots of people yet was super cautious saying anything remotely critical about Van Halen so you can imagine how cagey people who rely on Van Halen for their ongoing livelyhood might be?

The story on the front page hasn't happened yet and may never but part or all of it was/is on the table at the time it was posted.

18. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (07-01-2017),Terry (07-01-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Circle (Jerk) now has dates listed through the end of September. Then Hagarelli solo on some cruise in February.

If this is truly happening this year you'd think there would be an announcement soon.

20. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-01-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    The Circle (Jerk) now has dates listed through the end of September. Then Hagarelli solo on some cruise in February.

If this is truly happening this year you'd think there would be an announcement soon.

I think it's fairly obvious now that if it's gonna happen it will be in the conjunction with the 40th anniversary of VH I.....

22. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-01-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I can't see any Van Halen touring activity of any kind happening this year, simply based on the logistics of booking venues, promoting the shows, selling tickets, etc.

I mean, it's already July. If the band plans on playing shows in sizable venues this fall, wouldn't one think the dates for such an undertaking would have been announced by now?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think it's fairly obvious now that if it's gonna happen it will be in the conjunction with the 40th anniversary of VH I.....

Certainly my greatest hope as a fan of CVH: that the re-re-reintroduction of Sammy Hagar into the group would be able to coincide with the 40th anniversary year of Van Halen's first album with David Lee Roth being released. Seemingly, it's something Sammy Hagar is ambitious to see happen.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

uh-oh

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-04-2017 @ 04:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

uh-oh

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    uh-oh

This is very disturbing indeed. . . as a guitarist of his stature, how can you stop playing guitar "forever".

I hope Wolf makes him change his mind, even if for some solo albums with Big Al and different vocalists, or none at all.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I think I may detect a little sarcasm in Wolf's tweet.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

I think Wolf meant "antiquing"...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Nickdfresh, love your avatar. Just reading Alec Baldwin's book "Nevertheless"

Great read and a very interesting guy. Not a "total disaster". . . .

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Scrapbooks is the title of the box set of early stuff and outakes from the vaults .... you heard it first on hahamaybenever.cum

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Yeah it was mid May 2008 and after the 'wobble' Ed had in 2007 he came back playing well. I was at the show and it was great although being hyper critical, Ed was sober but not quite 100% at his best and was playing better in 2012. I thought Dave was particularly good that night which is maybe why people are saying they liked the boot. Slightly annoying that he didn't go around the 'vanity' circle apart from maybe once from memory on I'll Wait or I'd be in that video a lot more, I think I only spotted us once.

Just watched the show. Roth was in solid form. Ed was in much better form there than he was in Tampa, although agreed that Ed overall played much better in 2012.

The set list for that 2007/2008 tour was pretty amazing, if I think about it. Just in terms of the amount of songs played, from each of the albums (save for Diver Down).

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I think I may detect a little sarcasm in Wolf's tweet.
    More like a lot. He's a bright kid with a great sense of humor.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He goofs on those idiots on Twitter every now and then.....

I remember about 6 months ago someone was talking some shit about the band and WVH said something along the lines of "yeah, you should listen to my father play guitar, he's pretty good".....

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For fucks sake, give it up already..arent you a successful solo act??!!
    http://www.vhnd.com/2017/08/03/sammy-hagar-maxim/

36. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-04-2017)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Fuck bitter ex's ..... get over it

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    For fucks sake, give it up already..arent you a successful solo act??!!
    http://www.vhnd.com/2017/08/03/sammy-hagar-maxim/
    Hagar keeps pushing this Hagar/Roth co-headlining idea in the media...

I mean, this has to be upwards of a dozen times in a dozen different interviews in the last 6 months I've read a quote from Hagar about this idea.

And he always says that he hasn't yet been approached by the Van Halens about such an undertaking yet.

Well, okay, so you're constantly giving an answer to a question that nobody outside of maybe an interviewer asked you?

Does Hagar think there's some massive public clamoring for a Roth/Hagar co-headlining Van Halen tour?

I don't even really get the sense of a groundswell for a CVH reunion tour anymore. I think most people have resigned themselves to the fact that it might never happen, and are fine with it not happening. In large part, I'd imagine, because the band are too old and waited too long to get their act together.

When I keep reading these Hagar quotes about that hypothetical tour scenario, it comes across like Hagar is desperate to do something with the band sooner than later. Yet Hagar is the only band member of such a scenario out there talking about it. It comes across as a bit pathetic. Hagar should have his management contact Van Halens and offer the proposition up. If Van Halen wants to go that way, whatever. If Hagar doesn't hear anything back, Hagar should shut up about it and get on with his life.

Does Hagar think if he keeps mentioning it in interviews he is going to prod enough people into hassling the Van Halens into doing the tour? Or some other lame thing along those lines?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Knowing the joke of a publicity machine that is Van Halen, they'll do just as they did in '07, '12, and '15.... And that is wait until the last fucking minute to announce anything, which is of course against the grain of common sense, but whatthefuckever....

Even the production wouldn't need much advanced planning, assuming they use something close to that horrible stage with the dot matrix screen last tour.....

Maybe they'll add that lame-ass pig pen onstage where Bette can drink some tequila and sign some autographs during the show.....

40. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-05-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, by this time next year, it will have been about 3 years since the band has done anything, so perhaps they will tour.

With Hagar. With Roth. Whatever. Maybe Anthony will play with them. Maybe not.

Who the fuck knows?

It'd be kinda neat if the band DID get the classic lineup together and did a one-off/one-shot tour.

Having said that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it ends up being a Van Hagar tour. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be a massive letdown re: Van Hagar tour vs. CVH tour. It WAS a bit of a letdown in 2004 in theory - "like, what the fuck? how long are they going to wait until they reunite with Roth?" - until I saw how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, after three tours with Dave, it's over. It was over for me before the last tour. It was an easy choice to give the 2015 tour a pass. Dave...he just isn't able to bring to the stage a level of performance I deem acceptable enough to warrant spending my time and my money to see.

I like the IDEA of CVH reuniting for a one-off tour. The reality is it will essentially sound like the last couple of tours. Anthony being there isn't gonna make Dave sound any better, and frankly Dave doesn't sound good enough to be playing with Van Halen anymore: what he does vocally actually detracts from what the Van Halens are doing on an instrumental level. It sounded bad in 2012 and got worse in 2015.

Dave went back to half-assing it after the 2007/2008 tour.

So, fuck it. Tour with Hagar. Or don't. Do something. Or don't.

I dunno...maybe put out a CVH-oriented dvd for the rest of us? Or don't? Paint Franky stripes on a dildo and sell it on the official van halen website? Or don't?

42. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

private parts (08-14-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Nickdfresh, love your avatar. Just reading Alec Baldwin's book "Nevertheless"

Great read and a very interesting guy. Not a "total disaster". . . .
    Covfefe!!!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, by this time next year, it will have been about 3 years since the band has done anything, so perhaps they will tour.

With Hagar. With Roth. Whatever. Maybe Anthony will play with them. Maybe not.

Who the fuck knows?

It'd be kinda neat if the band DID get the classic lineup together and did a one-off/one-shot tour.

Having said that, it wouldn't shock me in the least if it ends up being a Van Hagar tour. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be a massive letdown re: Van Hagar tour vs. CVH tour. It WAS a bit of a letdown in 2004 in theory - "like, what the fuck? how long are they going to wait until they reunite with Roth?" - until I saw how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, after three tours with Dave, it's over. It was over for me before the last tour. It was an easy choice to give the 2015 tour a pass. Dave...he just isn't able to bring to the stage a level of performance I deem acceptable enough to warrant spending my time and my money to see.

I like the IDEA of CVH reuniting for a one-off tour. The reality is it will essentially sound like the last couple of tours. Anthony being there isn't gonna make Dave sound any better, and frankly Dave doesn't sound good enough to be playing with Van Halen anymore: what he does vocally actually detracts from what the Van Halens are doing on an instrumental level. It sounded bad in 2012 and got worse in 2015.

Dave went back to half-assing it after the 2007/2008 tour.

So, fuck it. Tour with Hagar. Or don't. Do something. Or don't.

I dunno...maybe put out a CVH-oriented dvd for the rest of us? Or don't? Paint Franky stripes on a dildo and sell it on the official van halen website? Or don't?

It wouldn't shock me if they never did anything with anyone ever again....

45. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (08-05-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    It wouldn't shock me if they never did anything with anyone ever again....
    Really, the last twenty years have been so pitiful for this band, when you consider the CVH era. Even with the Sam Halen era, whatever one thought of it at least they were releasing new music, touring regularly, etc.

The greatest accomplishment the band have achieved since Cherone left was Eddie sobered up enough and relearned his old licks from 3 decades ago. It's like, "Oh, Eddie isn't drunk...and he's playing well!"

Great.

Should they pack it in, fine. They've been running on the fumes of nostalgia since 1999 anyway.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The greatest accomplishment the band have achieved since Cherone left was Eddie sobered up enough and relearned his old licks from 3 decades ago. It's like, "Oh, Eddie isn't drunk...and he's playing well!"
    Wolfgang made Ed watch the VHS tapes...

48. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (08-06-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Really, the last twenty years have been so pitiful for this band, when you consider the CVH era. Even with the Sam Halen era, whatever one thought of it at least they were releasing new music, touring regularly, etc.

Great.

Should they pack it in, fine. They've been running on the fumes of nostalgia since 1999 anyway.
    Nothing better than Ed's soulless, technicality proficient automaton solos devoid of all human feeling...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That, of course, is assuming that the primary reason for DLR's yelping is that he's simply physically unable to sing in the normal register anymore, which isn't a stretch considering he turns 63 in a couple months....

Having said that, if it's NOT a physical limitation (I think it is physical, IMHO) the thing I wonder about is whether SH's assumed inclusion into the lineup would kinda slap him in the face to sing the song normally. There's no doubt SH will try to humiliate DLR, hence his idea to keep switching off during the show....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That, of course, is assuming that the primary reason for DLR's yelping is that he's simply physically unable to sing in the normal register anymore, which isn't a stretch considering he turns 63 in a couple months....

Having said that, if it's NOT a physical limitation (I think it is physical, IMHO) the thing I wonder about is whether SH's assumed inclusion into the lineup would kinda slap him in the face to sing the song normally. There's no doubt SH will try to humiliate DLR, hence his idea to keep switching off during the show....
    I don't think it is a physical limitation re: singing normally is now too tough for Roth, that makes him do all that strained yelping he has been doing for the last two tours. Because he yelps and yells through things like the verses of Pretty Woman or Women In Love, which are in a low vocal keys and certainly requires less of a physical strain to merely be sung properly than yelping through them the way Roth now does would.

He did that same stuff on the Sam and Dave tour in 2002, as well, so that vocal strategy has been utilized long before Roth theoretically got too old to sing properly. It has all the affectation of a guy who is bored with singing those tunes and also has nobody telling him bad that approach sounds. Half-assing his vocals at a solo gig is one thing. Fronting Van Halen? Nope. Not for me.

Hagar doesn't need to go for a tune for tune live exchange with Roth to publicly demonstrate Roth's waning abilities or humiliate Dave: Dave has been doing that all on his own for two tours running.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wolfgang made Ed watch the VHS tapes...
    He probably did. And I suppose that was a good thing, inasmuch as it probably got Ed closer to playing up to CVH par - for whatever that is worth -than Ed would have done otherwise left to his own pinched-harmonic-trans-trem-harmonic-sustainer-elephant-fart-sounding devices would have. At least Ed was playing close to the peak of his normal CVH abilities in 2012 and 2015.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Nothing better than Ed's soulless, technicality proficient automaton solos devoid of all human feeling...
    Clearly, if Eddie had his way, he wouldn't have went back and re-learned all his old licks.

It all smacks of him reproducing that stuff for a paycheck. And I'm fine with that: it's what I paid twice to see in the last ten years, and obviously Ed isn't going to do anything else that will generate the revenues that nostalgia tours will.

The guy hasn't broken any new ground in 2 decades. At least with Sam Halen albums you'd still get a couple of tunes which would demonstrate some effort and creativity on Eddie's part, as opposed to the Van Halen By The Numbers style of the rest of the material.

Ed just plain peaked as a guitar player from 1978 to 1984. Several interesting tunes from 1986 to 1996. After that, the rest of what he has done is pretty disposable to my ears.

Ed, due to the groundbreaking nature of what he once did, can still pull paying punters into arenas and get 10 thousand-odd geezers to go 'WOW!' as he churns out Eruption for the millionth time. Good work if you can get it, and Ed still can. I suppose it would be churlish to fault him for that. A bit sad that Roth rejoining the band hasn't resulted in much of anything new worth hearing. C'est la vie.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've heard Hagar's voice is getting weak, too...

Thread Information