Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Teamrock: How G N' R anti-establishment stance is now establishment

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-12-...t-those-prices

How Guns N' Roses' anti-establishment stance is now establishment: create demand and fleece the punter for as much as you can

The teaser G’n’F’n’R posters that sprouted up around London recently meant that it came as no surprise when Guns N’ Roses announced the UK leg of the ‘Not In This Lifetime’ tour quickly afterwards. The band will play the London Stadium on Friday June 16 and 17 next year, and the 160,000 available tickets will doubtless be snapped up by fans eager to either re-live their wasted youth or see what all the fuss over “the most dangerous band in the world” was really all about. Each and every one of these folk will be made to pay for the privilege, though. Ticket prices range from £84 to £138.50, and that’s without mentioned the inevitable booking fee on top.

You might reckon these kind of prices would make people think twice – maybe even three times – about going to see men in their 50s reliving the glory days of their 20s. As much as the reviews of Slash, Duff and Axl’s traveling roadshow have been positive, a quick look at the original Paradise City video from 1988 puts it all into perspective. The glory days were then, not now. To many people, though, this doesn’t seem to matter. Demand to witness what is perceived to be the last great rock'n' roll band still standing is ginormous, and the 51 dates so far pencilled in for 2017 will surely sell out.

Having already grossed £90 million from the US leg of the tour, Guns will surely now go on to smash box office records all across the globe. This is big, big business. But in amongst all this naked and unashamed corporatisation of rebellion (did you know you could access London pre-sale tickets if you were an American Express card member?) nobody seems remotely worried about the many genuine Guns fans who have been systematically priced out of the market.

Those eye-watering ticket prices are a perfect example of a greater modern malaise, a two-tier society where everything with market value is priced based entirely on maxing out on profit, on demanding what the market will sustain and nothing else. I don’t doubt that there are 160,000 Guns fans who will cough up the asking price to see the London shows. The question is whether every decision made in the corporate world – and let’s face it, nothing is more corporate in 2016 than the upper echelons of the music industry – should be predicated on maximising revenue.

The irony for me is that there is now no place for the kind of people who are like the members of Guns N’ Roses at a Guns N’ Roses show any more. This is a band that lived hand to mouth, relying on the kindness of strangers to keep body and soul together, believing in the rock and roll dream against all odds.

When Guns recorded Appetite For Destruction they didn’t have a pot to piss in. Its originality, its anger and its rage came from the very real sense that the band members were teetering on the brink of life’s abyss, they were inches away from falling through the cracks as human beings. These guys were outsiders, on a mission to make rebel music, fuelled by drink and by drugs. Its authenticity resonated across the world and caused a musical/sales phenomenon. But the people who feel that same sense of mission, in the subliminal power of guitars, today exist a million miles away from Guns N’ Roses at the London Stadium. Will they ever be able to afford a ticket to see their forbears? Not in this lifetime, they won’t!

Should Guns N’ Roses care? They’re surely not the same fucked-up people they were when the band first started. Maybe they don’t even recognise the guys staring back at them on the Live ?!*@ Like A Suicide sleeve. You can hardly blame them for having evolved and changed. It’s hard to keep it real when you’ve been such an ‘out of the box’ financial success and have grown so fat off the land.

I guess it’s fatuous to ask Slash, Axl and Duff to retain some sort of loyalty to rock’s original spirit. It’s business, man, and Americans tend to feel that financial success is the only measure by which you’re judged in any arena. Why should music be any different? The more you can charge for a gig ticket, the greater your band’s validity. Just ask Gene Simmons. You can’t expect Guns N’ Roses to care whether you can pay to see them or not when there are so many enough other people who evidently can.

So the question really is this. In a connected media age when we have instant access to endless footage of bands in their pomp, why do we need to spend so much to see older, chubbier, more lined versions of the original? Why not just accept the passage of time, watch the old clips and not worry about participating in such a highly costly event? Wouldn’t that be way more rock‘n’roll than standing at the back of the Enormodome, looking at a giant screen and convincing yourself that you’re having an authentic experience? Nowadays your choices aren’t as binary. You can’t expect Guns N’ Roses to care about you or your bank balance. What you can do, though, is refuse to play their game.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

I was never a very big GNR fan. But rock is so boring now I would go see this in a decent venue at a decent price. But they're charging $95-250 for a massive venue you will barely be able to see them at. Couple that with Axl's tardiness and the fact that the stadium once had a near riot at a Grateful Dead show in the 1990's and no thanks! New Era Stadium is located in a massive, relatively open area with lots of parking lots making it a tailgaters dream with is nice for Bills games on Sunday afternoons but not great for very late night concerts...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-08-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Don't forget the lousy acoustics in those stadiums.

5. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-08-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

7. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (05-10-2017),vandeleur (05-07-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

How dare you put Axl Rose next to the great Benny Hill!

9. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (05-10-2017)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

Hahaha

11. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-08-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Sesh, Nickd and twona hit all the main points for me, as to why I sat out the US dates last year and won't be bothered seeing them going forward in years to come.

I saw them opening for Aerosmith in the summer of 1988, when Appetite was really starting to take off in a huge way. They were okay live. Nothing spectacular. Truth be told, I thought they weren't really quite able to capture live the brilliance of the performances laid down on Appetite, in terms of the intensity and ferocity of what was on the album vs. the performance I saw. They seemed a bit tired, like they had been on the road a bit too long at that point. They didn't suck or anything, but I wouldn't rank it as one of the best shows I'd ever seen, either.

They WERE a breath of fresh air when they first hit the scene, though. Their sound was pretty raw, their lyrics weren't the typical hair band mush that had saturated the airwaves from 1984 to 1987, their look was pretty ragged. They were a great tonic to the mundane toxicity of sterile commercial hair metal, specifically Bon Jerkoff's Slippery When Wet, Whitesnake's 1987 album and Dik Likkard's Hysteria: after 18 months of that tripe being overplayed on MTV and rock radio from mid 1986 to early 1988, Guns And Roses WERE fuckin' dangerous in comparison. One look and listen to Appetite and you knew these 5 guys lived it like they played it. Appetite didn't come off sounding like some major label A & R reps overly-calculated wet dream, with strategized songwriting which sounded sort of heavy enough to convince a percentage of Beavis and Butthead's Stuart-type "metal heads" that it was authentic yet soft enough to entice 14 year old girls to buy it and top 40 stations to play it.

And like Nickd said, the rock scene has become so god-damed boring and predictable over the last 20 years that only in this context can an aged, incomplete G n R reunion appear to be somewhat bad assed and dangerous. Sadly, the only two elements of the G n R lineup that probably still ARE bad assed and dangerous - namely Izzy and Adler - aren't currently participating. You've got more members onstage with the band now who weren't part of the definitive/original lineup, and they outnumber the guys who were.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They have just announced a South American tour with The Who.

I'm glad any time South America gets to see big rock bands as it seems to happen less than it should (Korn just toured there I notice so maybe the finances now work better), but to me or my perception about what GNR were meant to be about makes this feel odd.

It's like The Ramones touring with Phil Collins but its all entirely corporate beyond belief at this point - GNR sold a million tickets on the first day their European Tour went onsale. At those prices that is some serious fucking money and it's only a 20 date tour.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm glad any time South America gets to see big rock bands as it seems to happen less than it should (Korn just toured there I notice so maybe the finances now work better), but to me or my perception about what GNR were meant to be about makes this feel odd.

It's like The Ramones touring with Phil Collins but its all entirely corporate beyond belief at this point - GNR sold a million tickets on the first day their European Tour went onsale. At those prices that is some serious fucking money and it's only a 20 date tour.
    Would they please tour North Korea then?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

Considering all four of the original Ramones are now dead, if they somehow managed to tour, I doubt they would need Phil Collins on the bill to sell tickets. Though if they brought back Moon & Entwistle with them, I suppose they could tour with The Who.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now you mention it yeah it's basically 2 half bands.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Look I have interesting things to say and would like to contribute but I can not take this seriously with that picture so either take it down or show me a live video of them playing the benny hill theme.
    That would be beyond awesome

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is the funny bit they had to put names on the pics lol

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I still like this one:

20. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (05-15-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I was never a very big GNR fan. But rock is so boring now I would go see this in a decent venue at a decent price. But they're charging $95-250 for a massive venue you will barely be able to see them at. Couple that with Axl's tardiness and the fact that the stadium once had a near riot at a Grateful Dead show in the 1990's and no thanks! New Era Stadium is located in a massive, relatively open area with lots of parking lots making it a tailgaters dream with is nice for Bills games on Sunday afternoons but not great for very late night concerts...
    Well LOL, Tix are still available in the $50-80 range....

Tempting, but I never really liked them and thought they were massively overrated assholes even in high school...

But I'll probably pony up and get massively wasted in the parking lots, then set a sheriff's car on fire!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I still like this one:
    I'd rather see Rip Taylor front G n R than Axl.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Considering all four of the original Ramones are now dead, if they somehow managed to tour, I doubt they would need Phil Collins on the bill to sell tickets. Though if they brought back Moon & Entwistle with them, I suppose they could tour with The Who.
    Shit, if ANY band besides Genesis needs Phil Collins on the bill to sell tickets, said band is fu-uh-UHCKED!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well LOL, Tix are still available in the $50-80 range....

Tempting, but I never really liked them and thought they were massively overrated assholes even in high school...

But I'll probably pony up and get massively wasted in the parking lots, then set a sheriff's car on fire!
    Yeah, but that's just it: there's no danger left in seeing a G n R show now.

No late starts or cancellations, no riots, no Axl jumping into the crowd to beat up bootleggers: none of the things that made the Illusions tour an event even beyond just the band and the music.

And G n R, to me, were never one of the all-time great live bands strictly on a musical/performance level. Not even close.

Now, they're just yet another in a long line of aging hard rock acts scraping together what they can of their best lineup and fleecing the punters with a semi-reunion tour...in this case because a Slashless G n R ain't gonna be selling out 70,000 seaters.

What was once dangerous and a bit crazed has now become tame and bland. Only jettisoning the rest of the band aside from Axl, Slash and Duff, bringing back Izzy and Adler and trying to revive that Appetite magic full-force would semi-peak my interest.

Ain't gonna happen, though: this current incarnation is plenty lucrative without Adler or Izzy's participation...or my money.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm thinkin' Axl has to show up somewhat on time for stadium shows, New Era is smack dab in what is largely a suburb, with some parking lots and bars around, and the people there do not react well to concerts going into the wee hours...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Basically where I'm at:

"Only jettisoning the rest of the band aside from Axl, Slash and Duff, bringing back Izzy and Adler and trying to revive that Appetite magic full-force would semi-peak my interest."

And we know this ain't happening because Stradlin' has no interest and Adler might not be physically capable. I'd have mediocre interest in seeing them as is in my local sports arena let alone a fucking stadium somewhere.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Now Axhole is out singing fucking AC/DC songs by himself? What a fucking douchebag.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Basically where I'm at:

"Only jettisoning the rest of the band aside from Axl, Slash and Duff, bringing back Izzy and Adler and trying to revive that Appetite magic full-force would semi-peak my interest."

And we know this ain't happening because Stradlin' has no interest and Adler might not be physically capable. I'd have mediocre interest in seeing them as is in my local sports arena let alone a fucking stadium somewhere.
    Adler definitely isn't capable...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm thinkin' Axl has to show up somewhat on time for stadium shows, New Era is smack dab in what is largely a suburb, with some parking lots and bars around, and the people there do not react well to concerts going into the wee hours...
    Plus, I'd have to imagine any promoter or venue owner with an ounce of sense and memory is going to make sure the contract stipulates the show starts on time and ends at a designated hour, with failure to do so and perform resulting in reductions of the guarantee to be paid for by the band/touring organization - with those stipulations designed specifically in mind of Axl's past reputation of pulling all those multi-hour appearance delays: why should a venue owner pay overtime for venue staff and security (along with after-hours noise level fines depending on the local municipal codes) because Axl decides that night he wants to go on at 11PM instead of 9PM?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Adler definitely isn't capable...

Really?

I know the guy half-fried his noggin with too much blow, but I recall seeing him doing Night Train in a club a couple years ago on a youtube clip and I thought he sounded good.

Maybe he isn't capable of doing a full set...

Ah, well.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Basically where I'm at:

I'm just anti-stadium/massive outdoor festival shows in general. I've seen enough of them, and in addition to the shitty sound I have no desire to pay $100 + a ticket to drag myself to some remote venue with 50,000 + other people ( + hotel fees, parking, airline tickets, car rental, $10 + for a 16oz. bottle of water at the venue) to piss in a Port-A-Potty and be 1/2 mile away from the band necessitating watching the event on a Jumbotron.

NO fucking artist/act/band on the planet is worth that hassle for me anymore. Even if it the "This Is The Final Tour And This Time We Might Actually Mean it" event of the season.

I'm too old for that nonsense.

Thread Information