Thread: Van Halen concert where Dave stops the show?

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    12-16-2016 @ 08:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen concert where Dave stops the show?

Hi everyone.

Many many years ago (over 10 by now) I had a CD I made with a bunch of live bootleg songs from the original Van Halen. There was one track where Dave stopped the show because someone was throwing fireworks on stage. He then did a classic Roth rant which had me cracking up. I could swear it was On Fire, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I've checked time and time again listening to the boots that I have and I can't find that incident. Does anyone know what year/show/bootleg that was and was it On Fire or some other song? If it helps any and it may not as I might be wrong, I think it was during the 1984 tour.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    John
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave would always stop the show and go "don't be throwing no shit upon stage" and then "I know who did, and don't worry pal, at the end of the show, I'll fuck your girlfriend". That was classic.

He does it during "On Fire" on this recording, but it's about a bottle of water, no fireworks. Anyway if there had been no stuff thrown on stage he would have found anything else to do it.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure he stopped the show but he did (jokingly)threaten to fuck some guys girlfriend for squirting water on him at the US Festival.
    I saw a video where he stopped the show to have some guy thrown out for fighting near the stage but I'm not sure if that was a VH show or solo Dave.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    12-16-2016 @ 08:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I remember the bottle incident as it is on one of the bootlegs I have and it is during On Fire. The US festival was the best for me because that was the first time I saw him (on video not at the show myself) use that "I'll F' your girlfriend pal!" routine. That and "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is the CLASH....BABY!!!!!!!!!" LOL

I'm pretty sure Dave was ranting about someone throwing fireworks up on stage, but as Jerome said, if no one threw anything Roth would just find something to rant about so he could drop those hysterical lines. That was part of the complete DLR experience. When I saw Maiden in 1987 at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ there was shit blowing up on stage then too. Some fans are F'in crazy, stupid, or both! I think it was a day later at MSG that Bruce went into the crowd supposedly and beat some guy's ass for throwing fireworks up on stage. Not sure what is worse... fireworks, bottles, or spit? Again f'in asshat fans.

Anyhow, I hope to find that firework rant, as I mentioned it may not have been during On Fire, I may be getting the bottle incident mixed up with the firework rant. I'll find it again someday I hope. The last time I heard it was on that live bootleg CD in my car on the way to NYC to see the Misfits in 2000 or so. We f'in got there and the show was canceled. Waste of time, but then again that was Jerry Only and the Misfits for ya!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-21-2023 @ 08:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    I remember the bottle incident as it is on one of the bootlegs I have and it is during On Fire. The US festival was the best for me because that was the first time I saw him (on video not at the show myself) use that "I'll F' your girlfriend pal!" routine. That and "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is the CLASH....BABY!!!!!!!!!" LOL
    I hung out just across the freeway from Glen Hellen the night before VH played at the US. There must have been at least 100 people hanging out in and around what looked like an abandoned house. It was missing doors and windows, no electricity but it did have running water. We could hear the music clearly enough to figure out who was playing. We heard whatever it was they said about Van Halen but It's been so long I can't remember what it was.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    12-14-2018 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I first saw Dave on the Skyscraper tour in Roanoke,VA. At some point during the show, someone DID throw a cigarette lighter and hit him in the head. My brother said later he did see something flying through the air. Anyway, Dave stopped the show and asked who threw it. I guess everyone pointed the guy out because Dave leaned down and said "F*** You a**hole!!!". He then asked security to remove the guy, which they did. While they were dragging the guy out, Dave said "You know Poison (the opener) has a song called "I won't forget you". I will forget you, but me and the crew won't forget how good your mama was last night M****F***" LOL!!!!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    Dave would always stop the show and go "don't be throwing no shit upon stage" and then "I know who did, and don't worry pal, at the end of the show, I'll fuck your girlfriend". That was classic.

He does it during "On Fire" on this recording, but it's about a bottle of water, no fireworks. Anyway if there had been no stuff thrown on stage he would have found anything else to do it.

Yeah, Dave did that stopping the show because somebody threw something at him bit quite a few times. I seem to recall him doing the "I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend, pal!" line at the 1984 show I saw. Naturally, the audience went nuts. Probably because back then most had no way of knowing - short of having seen the band live before - that it was a long-running routine.

Maybe each incident was preceded with somebody actually throwing something at him. Particularly back in the day, Van Halen audiences were pretty rowdy.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It was in San Francisco at the Cow Palace.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Dave started that early on....about the third tour. He did not do it when I saw them first and second tour. But then, I only saw individual shows, not entire tours (unfortunately).

first time I heard him say it he was saying someone was throwing change at him, and said to the audience "Bring him up here and I will kick his ass!".

Then yes, he started complaining later on other tours about other stuff, and how he was going to fuck the dude's girlfriend....

This is the first time I heard of "fireworks", but then, Van Halen concerts back then were about as rowdy as you could get in rock and roll without just resorting to outright violence.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Dave started that early on....about the third tour. He did not do it when I saw them first and second tour. But then, I only saw individual shows, not entire tours (unfortunately).

first time I heard him say it he was saying someone was throwing change at him, and said to the audience "Bring him up here and I will kick his ass!".

Then yes, he started complaining later on other tours about other stuff, and how he was going to fuck the dude's girlfriend....

This is the first time I heard of "fireworks", but then, Van Halen concerts back then were about as rowdy as you could get in rock and roll without just resorting to outright violence.
    It's kind of along the same path as Dave recycling the same throwaway comedic lines in interviews during certain periods of his career: all of it became part of Dave's onstage act.

The only reason Dave's "somebody threw something at me, I'm gonna stop the show, hey I see the guy in the audience, I'm pointing him out, now I'm gonna tell everybody how I'm gonna fuck his girlfriend" routine was memorable at the 1984 show I saw was because I had seen Dave do the same routine at the US Festival when Showtime broadcast the edited version of Heavy Metal Day late in the summer of 1983. So when Dave did the same bit at the 1984 show, you knew it was part of the act.

Either that, or Dave really did have things thrown at him at every show...AND he fucked a lot of other people's girlfriends...PAL!!!

All I know is if anyone suggests anything other than what I did happened, they better be wearin' a fuckin' cup.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Kinda amazes me that there are folks who don't realize to this day that 99.5% of a Van Halen show or virtually any musical act was a fully scripted show from beginning to end. But ain't that the magic of show biz..?

12. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (03-22-2017),Nickdfresh (03-22-2017)

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    08-03-2023 @ 07:22 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He did a modified riff of it in Camden on the last tour. Said someone threw a beer up on the stage, nobdy did. But he went off saying "in the past I woulda said Imma fuck your girlfriend, but by this point in my life, I probably have". Rimshot.

Thread Information