• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cadaverdog
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    But I am an individual.

The older and wiser I get the less I believe in countries and patriotism never mind nationalism.

When you say 'you' what does that mean?
    Gee I don't know. Maybe it's "the citizens of the United Kingdom" like it says in the next sentence of the post you quoted. Unlike you I still believe in my country and patriotism. We have our problems but I still think this is the greatest country on the planet. Obviously you don't think much of Scotland or the UK but that's your prerogative.
    Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
      Gee I don't know. Maybe it's "the citizens of the United Kingdom" like it says in the next sentence of the post you quoted. Unlike you I still believe in my country and patriotism. We have our problems but I still think this is the greatest country on the planet. Obviously you don't think much of Scotland or the UK but that's your prerogative.
      It's funny because you seem to think almost the opposite of Donald Trump, with his profound pessimism and negativity...

Comment

• cadaverdog
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        It's funny because you seem to think almost the opposite of Donald Trump, with his profound pessimism and negativity...
        I don't get your drift. I know what Donald Trump is and to be honest I never really thought much of him. I made my reasons for supporting him quite clear. He's not Hillary Clinton.
        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"This is a terrible survey one month in," Malloy added.

'Sinking like a rock': Trump's approval rating keeps plummeting
          Jeremy Berke,Business Insider 4 hours ago

President Donald Trump received his lowest approval rating since he took office, according to a poll released on Wednesday.

Thirty-eight percent of voters in the latest Quinnipiac University poll said they approve of the job Trump is doing, down from a 42% approval rating in Quinnipiac's last poll on February 7

The Quinnipiac poll shows a severe partisan split — 83% of Republicans said they approve of Trump's job performance, while 91% of Democrats disapprove.

"President Donald Trump's popularity is sinking like a rock," Tim Malloy, the assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll, said in a release. "He gets slammed on honesty, empathy, level-headedness and the ability to unite. And two of his strong points, leadership and intelligence, are sinking to new lows.

Among the other results:

39% of voters surveyed said their opinion of Trump is favorable, while 55% said their opinion of him is unfavorable.
          55% of voters surveyed said they think he does not have good leadership skills, while 42% said they think he does.
          55% said they think he is not honest, while 40% said they think he is.
          63% said they think he is not level-headed, while 33% said they think he is.
          58% said they think he is doing "more to divide the nation."
          38% said they could trust Trump to do what is right "almost all of the time."
          However, a Politico/Morning Consult poll published Wednesday tells a different story.

Forty-one percent of voters in that poll said they think the country is heading in the right direction, up from 29% immediately after the election in November. Further, the Politico poll showed Trump's approval rating increasing over the past week to 49%.

Business Insider

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            'Sinking like a rock': Trump's approval rating keeps plummeting
            Jeremy Berke,Business Insider 4 hours ago

President Donald Trump received his lowest approval rating since he took office, according to a poll released on Wednesday.

Thirty-eight percent of voters in the latest Quinnipiac University poll said they approve of the job Trump is doing, down from a 42% approval rating in Quinnipiac's last poll on February 7

The Quinnipiac poll shows a severe partisan split — 83% of Republicans said they approve of Trump's job performance, while 91% of Democrats disapprove.

"President Donald Trump's popularity is sinking like a rock," Tim Malloy, the assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll, said in a release. "He gets slammed on honesty, empathy, level-headedness and the ability to unite. And two of his strong points, leadership and intelligence, are sinking to new lows.

Among the other results:

39% of voters surveyed said their opinion of Trump is favorable, while 55% said their opinion of him is unfavorable.
            55% of voters surveyed said they think he does not have good leadership skills, while 42% said they think he does.
            55% said they think he is not honest, while 40% said they think he is.
            63% said they think he is not level-headed, while 33% said they think he is.
            58% said they think he is doing "more to divide the nation."
            38% said they could trust Trump to do what is right "almost all of the time."
            However, a Politico/Morning Consult poll published Wednesday tells a different story.

Forty-one percent of voters in that poll said they think the country is heading in the right direction, up from 29% immediately after the election in November. Further, the Politico poll showed Trump's approval rating increasing over the past week to 49%.

Business Insider
            Absent a terror attack on the continental US or another recession, I wouldn't rule out Trump winning a second term.

I mean, it's not as if Sessions is going to be itching to nominate a Special Prosecutor for Congress to consider appointing regarding all the odd threads of Russian interference and potentially compromised Trump Administration officials. Outside of that, nothing Trump has done so far will be enough to mobilize an impeachment movement.

If the economy limps along at 1.5 - 2%, unemployment doesn't start spiking, gas prices remain stable and Trump gets his tax cuts through and makes some tangible progress on the border wall, right now I'd put him at 50-50 for winning a 2nd term.

Trump and his counsel are pitching their actions toward the voters who got him elected. They're not worried about trying to bring those who didn't around. The mindset is that eventually the anti-Trump demonstrations will burn out and the Democratic Party won't be able to find a worthy opponent who can turn out votes in the states where it will matter most in a manner that Hillary failed to do last fall.

Maybe if the tax returns eventually turn up, or if there is some clear-cut, vividly illustrated evidence of Trump and his family profiting from the office...there MIGHT be some bombshells in there. I mean, Kellyanne Conway hawking Ivanka's clothes on tv isn't going to be enough to hang much on. Or, if the bureaucracies of the various Cabinet Departments along with various intelligence agencies surrounding Trump keep leaking to the press, maybe there might eventually be something substantive in those leaks that will snowball enough to warrant removal.

Most of Trump's survey numbers leading up to the election in nearly every category underperformed Clinton's. What was any of that worth in the end?
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
              Absent a terror attack on the continental US or another recession, I wouldn't rule out Trump winning a second term.
              A terror attack on the continental US could guarantee his second term - look at GW's approval ratings.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

A terror attack on the continental US could guarantee his second term - look at GW's approval ratings.

Most presidents win a second term because it's hard to beat an incumbent. The way you lose a second term is to fail to deliver on your key campaign promises if the Democrat candidate isn't a radical lefty. The next person the Democrats run is going to be a real left wing radical. Even if Trump turns out to be a dud the base will still vote against the Democrat.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I think a lot of that had to do with a vast majority of Americans in the aftermath of 9/11 WANTING a President who would lead them, and to his credit GW rose to the moment in the months after 9/11 in terms of presenting a strong, serious image and a strong, serious image as to what the nation's response would be.

2004 wasn't exactly a blowout for W. All it would have taken was Ohio or Florida to have went for Kerry and [Kerry] would have won. Considering Kerry was effectively portrayed as a stereotypical Massachusetts quiche-eating, windsurfing tax-and-spend liberal by the Bush campaign (to which Kerry supplied plenty of ammunition), Kerry got pretty close. Then again, in terms of a whole host of policies, there really wasn't much daylight between W and Kerry in the end.

So, I'm not really sure a terror attack in this administration would prove as analogous for Trump in 2020 as it did for W in 2004. Number one, in 2004 the notion of a terror attack within the continental US on the scale of 9/11 was still fresh territory in the minds of many. Uncharted waters, if you will. In 2016, Trump repeatedly went out and claimed that Hillary Clinton - who had been fighting ISIS "her entire adult life(?!)" - would prove incompetent in defending America from a terrorist attack, whereas Trump was going to wipe ISIS and radical Islamic terrorism off of the face of the Earth. It was a centerpiece of his campaign, blatantly stated with no equivocation.

Another terror attack on the scale of 9/11, particularly if it came close to the 2020 election, isn't something that would necessarily prove to be the catalyst for sparking a boost in Trump's approval ratings: the closer it happened to 2020 the less Trump would be able to lay the blame at Obama's feet, it will have rendered Trump's Muslim Ban as utterly inept, it will call into question what we got as a nation from Trump's increased military spending and if Trump's Administration 3 years from now is still making unforced errors at the rate they are today another terror attack could well put the nail in the coffin for people wanting to re-up with The Donald for another go-around.

All hypothetical and speculative, but there you go.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...