Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Talk about an "all killers no fillers setlist"...and still having a set of "killers" in the can...

One Vision
    Tie your mother down
    Show must go on
    Seven Seas of Rhye
    Headlong
    Innuendo
    Save me
    Keep yourself alive
    Spread your wings
    The Miracle
    It's a kind of magic

And I would dig some deep cuts, too...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

After Rhapsody the screen showed some animations that looked like they came out of the It's A Kind Of Magic video. Would have liked to hear that one too.

Writer for the local "alternative" weekly paper got part of the Lambert rap:

After "Killer Queen," Lambert addressed the crowd and lauded original Queen members Taylor and May by name. "You're standing in front of rock 'n' roll legends, ladies and gentlemen," he said, and pausing so they could soak up applause. Calling it an "honor" and "so surreal" to be performing with Queen, he also referenced any skeptics who may say that he's not Mercury. "No shit!" he exclaimed in a no-duh voice. "There will only be one Freddie Mercury. He is a rock God." Lambert also added that he's a "fan, except I'm up here wearing the gayest suit you've ever seen." (Cue a full-body camera pan to his bright pink suit covered in sparkly appliques.)

All joking aside, Lambert zeroed in on why he and the band work so well together: He has enormous respect for Mercury, and isn't trying to replace or replicate him—but instead pay tribute to his flamboyance, charisma and inimitable vocal talent. However, he and the band have fantastic chemistry and, like Mercury, Lambert is up for anything, prop-wise. He sang "Killer Queen" while straddling a statue of the head of the robot from the News Of The World album cover, and gamely sang while riding a bicycle toting a gigantic basket of flowers during "Bicycle Race." (May too had fun onstage, and at one point used a "stereoscopic selfie stick" to pan around the crowd and film the cheering masses.)
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Sounds like Lambert is a humble homo.

My friends wife went to the show here, and she said it was great.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Just got a call from my friend, I took his wife and daughter (and another friend of mine) to the show. The kid told him all about the show, he said she talked about it all day Sunday. Said it was the best show she's ever seen, and she went to Warped Tour the other day and ranted to me about GWAR. My status as "coolest uncle ever" continues. I think that was her first arena show though, Warped is at Blossom and she went to that the last two years.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hats off to Dr May for actually saying he couldn't play this, it's so rare for any guitarist to admit that about anything.

Also to be fair having followed Mr Tenniscourt on the social media I don't think he's going to be getting a Phd in Astrophysics any time soon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

I never thought I would say this but I walked out after about 40 minutes. After spending northwards of 150 bucks or so. I had wanted to see them for decades. Never had seen them in any incarnation. So I was glad to be there.

Everything about the show was flawless. Performance spot on, Lambert sang everything to perfection, while doing a sort of "musical theater" schtick. Bassist dude was fine, Taylor and May played flawlessly...it was cool to hear Taylor singing about being in love with his car, lol. That song was always a favorite.

Lotsa kids there. At least 3/4 full at Bridgestone Arena. 18,000 capacity.

After half an hour, and knowing pretty much what the setlist was, the performance was laboratory sterile. No fire. No spirit. No balls. Die-hard Queen fans might beg to differ, but it was so lacking in the all-important element of delivering a good ass-kicking.

I decided it was not worth waiting around for the end. And when that thought entered my skull, that is when I decided to leave after the current song was over.

Hell, I care so little, I don't even remember what song it was.

Go see it if you are a fan of Half-Queen and want to toss away $150. Otherwise, stay home and find something interesting to do, like stare mindlessly at the floor, or think about inconsequential rubbish while staring at the bloody idiot box.

Or if you must, watch a concert video of when Freddie was still up front.

It would kick more ass than the performance I saw in person.

So much for my 1/3rd review of the concert.

Comment

Working...