ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Interview with producer John Shanks about ADKOT

On the latest Dave and Dave Unchained podcast from around 43 minutes.

http://podbay.fm/show/popout.php?id=...9&e=1487438010

If that link doesn't work for you then try https://www.podbean.com/podcast-deta...+Halen+podcast

Last edited by Seshmeister; 02-24-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2017 @ 03:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

That was about an hour and 40 minutes of good content. He genuinely came across as a fan first and producer/musician/songwriter second. Cool perspective to get from another "fan".
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    From what I've read, the album was recorded at Henson and later mixed at 5150.

The content of the songs (basically 1/2 reworked 1970s demos and 1/2 new material) to one side, in audio terms ADKOT is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

For me, the two best sounding Van Halen records were WACF and Fair Warning. Not necessarily talking in terms of the tunes themselves, but the depth of the production tones: the bottom end had balls, the high end wasn't piercing and there was space in the sonics for the music to breathe, and all three of those components meshed in a way that wasn't always present on all the other CVH albums (and certainly wasn't often to be found once Roth left the band and Templeman stopped producing them).

By the time the 2000s hit, I began to notice that rock records being put out just plain didn't sound as good as they used to. To my ears, it's as if everything was being pushed to the front of the mix, the stringed instruments were being recorded directly into the board and the entire lot was blended into this mid-range noisy mush. And, sadly, that's what a lot of ADKOT sounded like to me. I don't know if this broad dissonance has to do with Pro-Tools/computer-assisted recording methods vs. recording musicians playing in a good sounding room through amps and using a combination of close and distance miking to capture the performances, or if there's just too much punching in and splicing of parts happening today vs. decades ago.

It's the difference between something that sounds organic vs. something that sounds electronically fabricated to a degree. And it's not just the rock genre that suffers from this: even pop top 40 stuff these days falls into these same trappings. Everything is overdubbed to the point of absurdity, autotuned into pitch perfection and pushed as far to the front of the mix as possible. Maybe that's why so many pop top 40 acts of today sound so shitty live and can't pull off concert performances without massive amounts of backing tapes. You notice it when someone like Adele comes along and doesn't need 20 backing dancers and backing tapes to project, because she can actually sing and can just stand there and sing live and crush it. Contrast that with, say, Taylor Swift or Katy Perry, neither of which can sing well...thus they both need a circus of distractions and shiny objects going on around them onstage to get through a show.

4. 4 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017),DavidLeeNatra (02-24-2017),Hardrock69 (02-24-2017),katina (03-04-2017)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

The link is dead.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    The link is dead.
    It's not but may not work if you have popups disabled. You can also go via

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-deta...+Halen+podcast

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-14-2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What I took from the interview was just how fragile the bands' creative relationships and strong-willed egos played into getting that record made or almost not made. I know everyone will find that shocking...SARCASM. I have been in the camp of "something has to be happening" because it's been too quiet lately, but he certainly came across as painting a doubtful picture of them creating again. Unless of course, it's all just a decoy!! wink wink

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He's tap dancing in a danger zone full of mines. Always in a kind of "will they give me shit if I say that"-mode. Nice interview but just nice...give me something I don't already know.

10. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-01-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    He's tap dancing in a danger zone full of mines. Always in a kind of "will they give me shit if I say that"-mode. Nice interview but just nice...give me something I don't already know.
    Sesh and I were talking about this. At one point he says "I hope I don't get in trouble for this". Seriously? This fucking guy has been involved with albums that have sold over 40 million copies. This guy has at least one Grammy. This guy has a resume longer than your arm. Yet, he's afraid of Van Halen. How the fuck can this be? It's been 5 fucking years since he produced ADKOT. Yet, he still fears the mighty Van Halen.

People wonder why the rumors are always unsubstantiated. Everybody that does business with these guys, is afraid of them. They are like the rock and roll mafia. It's amazing and insane at the same time. Especially in this day and age.

They are old, and their thinking and way of doing things is archaic. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Those stupid motherfuckers probably think Kiss still doesn't allow themselves to be photographed without makeup.

12. 3 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (02-28-2017),moose (02-28-2017),Terry (03-01-2017)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's fucking showbiz for chrissake...they REALLY take that shit way too important.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G850F mit Tapatalk

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 07:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Sesh and I were talking about this. At one point he says "I hope I don't get in trouble for this". Seriously? This fucking guy has been involved with albums that have sold over 40 million copies. This guy has at least one Grammy. This guy has a resume longer than your arm. Yet, he's afraid of Van Halen. How the fuck can this be? It's been 5 fucking years since he produced ADKOT. Yet, he still fears the mighty Van Halen.

People wonder why the rumors are always unsubstantiated. Everybody that does business with these guys, is afraid of them. They are like the rock and roll mafia. It's amazing and insane at the same time. Especially in this day and age.

They are old, and their thinking and way of doing things is archaic. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Those stupid motherfuckers probably think Kiss still doesn't allow themselves to be photographed without makeup.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

As a commercial entity, Van Halen haven't been much of a draw in relative terms since the mid 1990s far as studio recordings go. I think ADKOT sold around a million worldwide. Shit, even Van Halen's last full-length studio album with Sammy Hagar sold about 3 million in just the US alone, and ADKOT was the first full-length studio album with Roth in DECADES.

To be sure, there are plenty of reasons for the ADKOT sales to have been fairly meager in comparison to what Van Halen used to sell in the late 1970s, 1980s and early to mid 1990s. Even so, a million units worldwide doesn't exactly re-establish the band as the 900 lb gorilla it was thirty-odd years ago.

As a concert ticket-selling entity, Van Halen are still pretty solid, although I doubt another go-around with the current lineup is going to sell out 15k + seaters the way the first two Roth reunion tours did.

The band just got old, you know? And are pretty much a bit too old to live up to the legend in a meaningful way live.

It's funny, because in 1996 EVH said he didn't want to do a nostalgia trip like KISS as a rationale for not touring with Roth. Now, Van Halen have settled into KISS reunion mode: the lineup doesn't have all the definitive members, the setlists on the last 3 tours have had far more similarities than differences in terms of song selection (although VH did throw in several deep cuts on each tour, and changed them from one tour to the next) so the band has a well-rehearsed majority core of standards they play year after year, tour after tour (just like KISS), and the interest from the ticket-buying public wanes slightly with each successive tour.

It's part of why I sat 2015 out: I'm what I would describe as a fairly hardcore fan of the band (certainly when Roth is in it), and even I didn't feel the need to see the band serve up mostly the same material as they had in 2008 and 2012.

16. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

moose (03-01-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    From what I've read, the album was recorded at Henson and later mixed at 5150.

The content of the songs (basically 1/2 reworked 1970s demos and 1/2 new material) to one side, in audio terms ADKOT is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

For me, the two best sounding Van Halen records were WACF and Fair Warning. Not necessarily talking in terms of the tunes themselves, but the depth of the production tones: the bottom end had balls, the high end wasn't piercing and there was space in the sonics for the music to breathe, and all three of those components meshed in a way that wasn't always present on all the other CVH albums (and certainly wasn't often to be found once Roth left the band and Templeman stopped producing them).

By the time the 2000s hit, I began to notice that rock records being put out just plain didn't sound as good as they used to. To my ears, it's as if everything was being pushed to the front of the mix, the stringed instruments were being recorded directly into the board and the entire lot was blended into this mid-range noisy mush. And, sadly, that's what a lot of ADKOT sounded like to me. I don't know if this broad dissonance has to do with Pro-Tools/computer-assisted recording methods vs. recording musicians playing in a good sounding room through amps and using a combination of close and distance miking to capture the performances, or if there's just too much punching in and splicing of parts happening today vs. decades ago.

It's the difference between something that sounds organic vs. something that sounds electronically fabricated to a degree. And it's not just the rock genre that suffers from this: even pop top 40 stuff these days falls into these same trappings. Everything is overdubbed to the point of absurdity, autotuned into pitch perfection and pushed as far to the front of the mix as possible. Maybe that's why so many pop top 40 acts of today sound so shitty live and can't pull off concert performances without massive amounts of backing tapes. You notice it when someone like Adele comes along and doesn't need 20 backing dancers and backing tapes to project, because she can actually sing and can just stand there and sing live and crush it. Contrast that with, say, Taylor Swift or Katy Perry, neither of which can sing well...thus they both need a circus of distractions and shiny objects going on around them onstage to get through a show.
    It's too much compression plain and simple. That album sounds like it was recorded in a small garage live basically. I love it overall but this guy and whoever mastered it should get their ears checked !

18. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    It's too much compression plain and simple. That album sounds like it was recorded in a small garage live basically. I love it overall but this guy and whoever mastered it should get their ears checked !
    It could well be too much compression. Overall, the record sounded a lot like contemporary recordings of younger rock bands, and many of those recordings sound shitty to my ears as well. Everything simultaneously pushed forward in the mix, and the muddled sound only gets worse the higher the listening volume goes. Contrast that with Fair Warning, where you can crank that mofo and lose none of the clarity or depth: when you crank ADKOT, it becomes sonic mush.

A bit of a shame, because I have to listen to ADKOT at fairly low volume levels to semi-enjoy it, and Van Halen's music deserves to be cranked.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is that not the fashion, I think they all do that?

Talk about old farts, how much new music do some of us listen to?

I don't hear this compression thing so much on KXM or Steel Panther for example though and I'm sure those albums were far less expensive to make.

Are there any rock DJ's here? If you are listening to old albums and then new ones even on your fruit based device, you get these volume jumps whereby newer recordings are louder because of the compression. It seems like a bit of a pointless arms race?

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Way too much compression and packing the whole sonic range full of noise just really kills ADKOT... I have no idea why these dumbasses mixing/mastering rock music think this adds value to the recordings... As I've said before... cramming a size 12 woman into a pair of size 5 pants doesn't work!!

What's odd... there's some really well mixed/mastered pop music being produced. Unfortunately I don't care much for the music but the quality of the sound dynamics is top notch. Heard something from Bruno Mars recently that felt like it came straight out of 60's/70's from a sound quality mix... So I know there's industry people who aren't fucking deaf in the mixing room!

22. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Interview with producer John Shanks about ADKOT

I have a question for you mixologists. (Calm down Sesh, I'm talking music, not booze) What Exactly is the benefit of compressing the music? Why are they doing it at all, if it muddies up the sound?

I listen to a lot of new music. A lot of heavier stuff. Those guys seem to know how to mix. I don't know if it's because they aren't overthinking it, or what. I know Avatar is too heavy for most of you homo's, but that band seems to be mixed well, album after album. The first time I saw them live, I didn't expect the same sonic thunder I heard on the recorded music. Especially from the drums. But damned if they don't have it figured out.

I think with VH, it's like every other aspect of what they've become. They just over think everything. Probably a similar phenomenon to Ed's "tone chasing". The guy had one of the greatest most recognizable tones in the history of music, and he's done nothing but fuck it up. If he wants to chase tone, and sound different, he should do it on other projects. Let Van Halen sound like Van Halen.

I remember when the third Boston album came out, and a friend said "It sounds like Boston." Well yeah dumbass. It is Boston. That's their sound.

The formula that made these bands successful is the right formula! Stick the fuck with it! It's not like when I was young, and bands were putting out albums every 6 months or so. When you're putting out an album once a decade, it should be even easier to stick to the formula.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

The only thing Sesh mixes with vodka is ice and saliva...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

The way I understand it, all this "compression" bullshit in modern music production is done for the benefit of the MP3 crowd. Since lossy formats like MP3 are called "lossy" because they lose a lot of the frequencies on both the top & bottom ends of the sound. So when you want people to buy your music in a lossy format (via Itunes or whatever) then you take the lazy way out and mix it for that market, and then use the same mix for the CDs (or god forbid, vinyl... though I do remember somebody previously posting on this board that the vinyl version of ADKOT sounded different than the CD. Haven't heard it myself, so I'm not the authority on that)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The way I understand it, all this "compression" bullshit in modern music production is done for the benefit of the MP3 crowd. Since lossy formats like MP3 are called "lossy" because they lose a lot of the frequencies on both the top & bottom ends of the sound. So when you want people to buy your music in a lossy format (via Itunes or whatever) then you take the lazy way out and mix it for that market, and then use the same mix for the CDs (or god forbid, vinyl... though I do remember somebody previously posting on this board that the vinyl version of ADKOT sounded different than the CD. Haven't heard it myself, so I'm not the authority on that)
    That "someone" was good ole Gregory...

It's like the "committee" Dave used for the Skyscraper mix...a bunch of Ghetto blaster and walkmen because "that's what the kids will use to listen to the album". Adkot sounds nice in my car but not half as good on my studio monitors. Skyscraper sounds thin and shitty everywhere.

Compression is for radio and mp3 but terrible if you don't listen on headphones or on a cellphone.

They became fucking studio rats. And Shanks is a pop producer. Not a good mixture. If you want a back to the roots vintage album sound visit the Stones' "Blue and lonesome". They reduced to the max.

27. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Gregory probably sold his vinyl copy after Alex Jones told him the vinyl was some sort of Jewish Lizard Commie Conspiracy to turn him gay (or whatever)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have a question for you mixologists. (Calm down Sesh, I'm talking music, not booze) What Exactly is the benefit of compressing the music? Why are they doing it at all, if it muddies up the sound?
    Technically compression packs more noise into a small frequency range... in a simple math example... normal range is 1-10 compressed range is 3-7. Then while they pack it all in a smaller box they boost virtually every frequency. Like setting your bass, mids and treble tone settings to 11...

It's all meant to make it sound big coming out of tiny ear-buds or shit speakers on a phone or computer.

30. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Technically compression packs more noise into a small frequency range... in a simple math example... normal range is 1-10 compressed range is 3-7. Then while they pack it all in a smaller box they boost virtually every frequency. Like setting your bass, mids and treble tone settings to 11...

It's all meant to make it sound big coming out of tiny ear-buds or shit speakers on a phone or computer.

With ADKOT, I have primarily listened to it via cd through speakers on either a boom box or a car stereo. I've also listened to the tracks via headphones through my hard drive, and headphones from my boom box.

In every instance, when the volume is turned up loud, the clarity noticeably diminishes and the sound becomes blurred/muddy.

At lower levels, the sound is ok (in terms of clarity, at least).

32. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Gave ADKOT a listen last week... Another thing that muddies the mix is Wolfgang using way too much overdrive/distortion with his bass. Tone wise it's really similar to Ed's distortion tone and combined they are sharing too many of the same frequencies. The songs where the bass isn't over-driven sound much better... IMO.

The mix also has very little stereo separation... Sounds like everyone other Al's kit is upfront and centered rather than splitting things left/right. Overall it could be a much better album if it were mixed and mastered more like the traditional methods employed from 70's/80's...

34. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017),Terry (03-12-2017)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Gave ADKOT a listen last week... Another thing that muddies the mix is Wolfgang
    I couldn't agree more.

36. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (03-18-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He sounds so frightened of the band 5 years later, it's easy to imagine that he wouldn't have taken them on even if they were making decisions he didn't agree with.

I don't think this would have been the producer/band dynamic you saw with Metallica and Bob Rock.

So you have Ed who professes to never listening to any music at all for the last 30 years, Alex who is deaf with severe tinnitus and the inexperienced Wolfgang calling the shots for the music recording.

Welcome back, Dave!!!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2022 @ 08:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The vinyl sounds like shit too. Better shit, but still shit.

Really sucks too, cause it is a really good album.

Thread Information