X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    God. Alex Jones and the Young Turks. They deserve each other. I don't know why people bother with either of them. Both are as about as stable as a brahma bull at a rodeo with a vibrator shoved up it's ass.
    I used to sort of enjoy TYT ten, twelve years back. Back when youtube was really beginning to pop in a big way, before everybody else and their brother had a youtube channel commenting on politics, or movies or whatever. I will say TYT was willing to flat-out say what a weak candidate Clinton was in 2016 and that Trump had a much better chance of winning long before any of the traditional, non-internet pundits could even concede such a thing was reality. If nothing else, at least TYT took an ideological stand as opposed to the ridiculous 'objectivity' stance the old Big Three took via the Sunday political roundtable shows.

About a half year into Trump's term, frankly the constant freak out on the part of TYT, the Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times just wore me out. The last I saw a few years ago, Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur were calling Jimmy Dore a misogynist. Then I looked at their subscribers vs. the amount of views their clips were getting, and it struck me as sad but typical of every progressive movement in that the numbers start to dwindle and in the end the core group always ends up turning against one another.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Jimmy Dore completely lost his mind. First he was a hardcore anti-vaxxer. Then he started bringing Boogaloo Nazis on his show and treating their sick ideas as completely valid. Since then he's turned into a full-blown Putin cheerleader. Dunno whether the guy had a legitimate mental breakdown, or if he just found out a way to cash in on this, and he's just playing a character like Stephen Colbert did on his old Comedy Central show. If that's what he's going for, he's failing miserably.

As far as the misogyny goes, my understanding is most of that had to do with things that happened off camera at TYT, when Dore used to work there. Sexual harassment of Ana & other female employees, apparently. I wasn't in the room for any of that, obviously, so I can't swear to one side or the other being true.... but given how far Jimmy has fallen on his own, I know which version of the story is more likely.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Alex Jones must pay $4.1 million to Sandy Hook parents, jury finds

A jury in Texas on Thursday found that the Infowars founder is liable for more than $4 million in compensatory damages for falsely claiming the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., was a hoax.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Jury is reportedly weighing punitive damages as of this moment.

Jones reportedly got an 8mil bitcoin gift from a mega-donor over the past week.

Nobody seems to have a handle on what Jones or Infowars is actually currently worth in real dollars, which is something the jury is apparently trying to determine re: the punitive amount awarded the plaintiffs, should there be one.

The jury is free to award the plaintiffs what they feel is proper. If said amount is enough to put Jones/Infowars out of business may not necessarily be the primary factor motivating the jury.

From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't appear based on what Jones has said outside of the courtroom while the trial has taken place that he is contrite in the least or sees himself as anything other than the ultimate victim of the suits. I'd be willing to wager he (finally) said what he said on the stand regarding Sandy Hook being an actual event that happened solely because even he (finally) saw that he couldn't use the courtroom as a surrogate for his Infowars show (neither the judge nor the plaintiff's attorney would allow it) where [Jones] gets to say whatever he wants to say whenever it pops into his head and go unchallenged.

Out of other options, Jones had a choice. To testify that he still thought Sandy Hook was a government conspiracy production full of false actors, or to testify that Sandy Hook was a mass shooting perpetrated by a disturbed young man. Outside of the courtroom, Jones claimed he was being railroaded by a kangaroo court and visually equated the presiding judge to that of a satanic force. Inside the courtroom, on the stand, he was respectful to the judge and the Sandy Hook families. In other words, confronted with a probable financial loss to whatever degree, Jones chose that of cowardice.

A meager financial penalty against Jones will be little more than a speedbump for him. Nobody believes he or Infowars are currently on the verge of (or even close to) bankruptcy.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Jimmy Dore completely lost his mind. First he was a hardcore anti-vaxxer. Then he started bringing Boogaloo Nazis on his show and treating their sick ideas as completely valid. Since then he's turned into a full-blown Putin cheerleader. Dunno whether the guy had a legitimate mental breakdown, or if he just found out a way to cash in on this, and he's just playing a character like Stephen Colbert did on his old Comedy Central show. If that's what he's going for, he's failing miserably.

As far as the misogyny goes, my understanding is most of that had to do with things that happened off camera at TYT, when Dore used to work there. Sexual harassment of Ana & other female employees, apparently. I wasn't in the room for any of that, obviously, so I can't swear to one side or the other being true.... but given how far Jimmy has fallen on his own, I know which version of the story is more likely.
            Was never a particular fan of Dore's. He seemed to function best as a secondary roundtable commentator circa 2016 or so. His personality to my eyes and ears is more obnoxious and overbearing over extended periods of time than it is humorous or insightful. I liked his periodic chiming in in a roundtable setting. Tried his...what the fuck was it...the 'Aggressive Progressive' or 'The Jimmy Dore Report' - where it was just him onscreen talking - once, made it about five minutes in and had the same sensation that I did when I saw National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure. The sensation being that much like Cousin Eddie, Jimmy Dore is a guy who worked best for me within small amounts of screentime. Nothing but Jimmy Dore full-on ten minutes or more is like those SNL movies based on repeated characters that worked okay for 5 minutes on tv: trying to stretch them out to a 90-minute feature film length rarely worked out at all, much less worked out well.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Over $45 million...

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Yep.

The NYT online published an article online yesterday while the jury were still deliberating the punitive damages. The article had some rounded dollar amounts of assets vs. debts for Alex Jones, Infowars and the parent company, Free Speech Systems, LLC. The info was culled from what the forensic accountant for the plaintiffs was able to deduce via financial records. Lot of hide-the-shell/robbing Peter to pay Paul sloshing around of payments and debts between the three components, none of which is uncommon in business.

Jones clearly can pay the settlement in terms of being financially able to.

Then again, it's Alex Jones. He'll keep wiggling like a bloated worm on a hook. Appeals, transferring more money than he already has to shell companies, more bankruptcy claims, doubtless casting himself as not only the ultimate victim but (I would say incredibly enough, then again it is Alex Jones) the one person who did the most to HELP the Sandy Hook families.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Terry
                  Then again, it's Alex Jones. He'll keep wiggling like a bloated worm on a hook. Appeals, transferring more money than he already has to shell companies, more bankruptcy claims,...
                  Yeah, I'd hate to be the judge or jury that overturns that decision.
                  I hope the familes (& their lawyers) are able to hang in there until the payout.

...doubtless casting himself as not only the ultimate victim ...
                  Too late - we already have one of those:

Trump Calls Himself ‘The Most Persecuted Person in the History of Our Country’
                  Former President Donald Trump held a rally in Waukesha, Wisconsin on Friday night, where he deemed himself "the most persecuted person" in United States history.
                  Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Yep.

The NYT online published an article online yesterday while the jury were still deliberating the punitive damages. The article had some rounded dollar amounts of assets vs. debts for Alex Jones, Infowars and the parent company, Free Speech Systems, LLC. The info was culled from what the forensic accountant for the plaintiffs was able to deduce via financial records. Lot of hide-the-shell/robbing Peter to pay Paul sloshing around of payments and debts between the three components, none of which is uncommon in business.

Jones clearly can pay the settlement in terms of being financially able to.

Then again, it's Alex Jones. He'll keep wiggling like a bloated worm on a hook. Appeals, transferring more money than he already has to shell companies, more bankruptcy claims, doubtless casting himself as not only the ultimate victim but (I would say incredibly enough, then again it is Alex Jones) the one person who did the most to HELP the Sandy Hook families.
                    For being a guy who sells health supplements he looks like shit. He was on some show, I think it was Joe Rogan and Alex had that sound in his voice that people with congestive heart failure have. The dude is headed for a corinary. I think the biggest mistake the public make is giving the guy any attention. He’s a nobody. Alex Jones has as much of an effect on the world as a dog farting.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I used to sort of enjoy TYT ten, twelve years back. Back when youtube was really beginning to pop in a big way, before everybody else and their brother had a youtube channel commenting on politics, or movies or whatever. I will say TYT was willing to flat-out say what a weak candidate Clinton was in 2016 and that Trump had a much better chance of winning long before any of the traditional, non-internet pundits could even concede such a thing was reality. If nothing else, at least TYT took an ideological stand as opposed to the ridiculous 'objectivity' stance the old Big Three took via the Sunday political roundtable shows.

About a half year into Trump's term, frankly the constant freak out on the part of TYT, the Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times just wore me out. The last I saw a few years ago, Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur were calling Jimmy Dore a misogynist. Then I looked at their subscribers vs. the amount of views their clips were getting, and it struck me as sad but typical of every progressive movement in that the numbers start to dwindle and in the end the core group always ends up turning against one another.
                      All these shows are junk food. They claim they are the new news media. Yeah right, it’s all partisan babble. Real journalism is nuetral and sadly it no longer exists. It’s been replaced by pundits, propagandists and charlatans. They all sell fear. People who constantly listen to these schmuck’s end up having a shitty attitude and become the kind of people you want to avoid.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Alex Jones will just file bankruptcy and file court appeals and as long as he has cash flow his show goes on. I notice he’s selling penis enhancement pills now. Well Alex is a huge dick so if you want a dick as big as Alex buy his pills. Anyways it’s a ridiculous lawsuit against a ridiculous show but it just shows how much free speech is being attacked. Libel is one thing but getting sued for huge money because you have an opinion? Nobody is safe with that sort of trend.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

All these shows are junk food. They claim they are the new news media. Yeah right, it’s all partisan babble. Real journalism is nuetral and sadly it no longer exists. It’s been replaced by pundits, propagandists and charlatans. They all sell fear. People who constantly listen to these schmuck’s end up having a shitty attitude and become the kind of people you want to avoid.

Bone broth!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Alex Jones will just file bankruptcy and file court appeals and as long as he has cash flow his show goes on...
                            Okay, open up your books Jones! LOL it ain't that easy, he's not just getting out of this crying poverty!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

The court was ran like shit. Jones can afford very good lawyers and what might fly in an Austin court won’t fly at the state level in Texas. If Alex Jones slandered someone there might be a case but expressing an opinion is a different matter. Jones will milk this into cash flow as well. It’s called law fare where you use the courts to harass your enemy and either financially break them or wear them down to where they quit. A guy like Alex Jones thinks this shit is fun. He loves it. He’s a different duck. It hurts so good! He loves the attention.

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

For being a guy who sells health supplements he looks like shit. He was on some show, I think it was Joe Rogan and Alex had that sound in his voice that people with congestive heart failure have. The dude is headed for a corinary. I think the biggest mistake the public make is giving the guy any attention. He’s a nobody. Alex Jones has as much of an effect on the world as a dog farting.
                                Well, in terms of effect, apparently Jones's Sandy Hook comments had an effect on Jones's listeners who harassed the Sandy Hook families in the wake of the broadcasts.

I'd agree in world terms Jones probably is the equivalent of a dog farting, although far less cute.
                                Last edited by Terry; 08-07-2022, 01:33 PM.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...