Thread: Billy Sheehan: any question

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Billy Sheehan: any question

Yesterday I got a phone call from a friend who happens to be a producer, and he s bringing Billy to Montevideo for a bass clinic next April 27th.
    Knowing that I`m a VH DLR diehard fan he made an appointment for a personal conversation , a space where me and my family could chat and take some photos in the lobby before the clinic, at nineteen o clock. I wonder if you guys would like to recommend some questions about topics that any fan would be interested in at this point in time. So I `d tell Billy what the Roth Army page members wanted to know.
    Feel free to suggest, please...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

Two questions for Mr. Sheehan:

1) Has the EEAS band "reunion concert" been rescheduled yet?

2) Whatever happened to that "original master" tape of the SkyCrapper album (minus all the synthesizer Velveeta crap & overproduction) that Billy says he has and was threatening to release a few years back. Does he know how bittorrent works? Release that thing already. Hell, I'd even buy it if it was released officially, but if that's not happening, just leak it already!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (05-24-2017),Terry (04-13-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, what Ford said.

Basically, will the EEAS band reunite, and will there be footage of it available.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I always wondered if the Greg Howe record was as fun to record as it sounded. Red Handed is one of my favorite songs and Billy's sig is all over that track.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

How are your E-meter levels?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

lol

On a related topic: has he ever seen Jenna Elfman naked?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

On a scale of 1-tom cruise how weird is dave ?

9. 3 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-19-2017),Terry (04-24-2017),twonabomber (04-18-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Does Xenu's spaceship really look like an old DC-9 airplane?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah what the fuck did Dave mean when he told Billy that dance music was the new next big thing or whatever the fuck he was talking about in an older interview Billy gave ? Billy made it sound like that was a reason he left the band. He made it sound like Dave was going to stop making rock or something ? Makes no sense too me ? Rock was still huge in 1988. And Dave's next album rocked more than Skyscraper so......? I never got that explanation. At least that part of it.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Yeah what the fuck did Dave mean when he told Billy that dance music was the new next big thing or whatever the fuck he was talking about in an older interview Billy gave ? Billy made it sound like that was a reason he left the band. He made it sound like Dave was going to stop making rock or something ? Makes no sense too me ? Rock was still huge in 1988. And Dave's next album rocked more than Skyscraper so......? I never got that explanation. At least that part of it.
    Me neither. And if Billy was so alienated over the keyboards and softening of the production on Skyscraper, how does he explain his apparent change of heart with the wussy power-ballads of Mr. Big?

13. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (04-24-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So true. I always wondered if Dave just didn't want to pay these guys anymore. Really stupid more breaking up that band.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    On a scale of 1-tom cruise how weird is dave ?
    I think he's a bit out there. Probably more than a bit, these days.

Once he got booted off Warner Brothers in the mid-1990s, he slowly yet steadily morphed from cool to...strange.

Think I've said it before, but he really strikes me nowadays as a guy who probably is at his most comfortable when he's off in a secluded location essentially by himself when he's not working.

Honestly, seems like he'd be a moody loner in private, and not really someone I'd even want to meet or spend a substantial amount of time with.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So true. I always wondered if Dave just didn't want to pay these guys anymore. Really stupid more breaking up that band.
    Maybe there were some points of contention with the business end, in terms of production or songwriting credits, and all of that was coupled with the shift in musical direction between EEAS and Skyscraper.

Like, it didn't surprise me when Vai left the fold, because Vai really isn't a long term team player. He never was before hooking up with Roth, and he wasn't after. With Billy, it was a bit odd at the time to me, because he bailed even before the album was released. However, once I listened to it, the one thing that stood out to me (and still does) is how restrained the performances are. Billy's playing is restrained. I mean, even if you took out the keyboard parts, a lot of the backing tracks are a bit too smooth. Calculated. Certainly in comparison to EEAS.

For me, with Skyscraper, the songs really weren't quite there. I can find a riff in each (or most) of the songs that I can latch onto, but for whatever reason there are precious few tunes on the album that sustain my interest from beginning to end. The only song that really still grabs me today is the one that did back when the album was released, which is Damn Good (a song I always thought was sadly neglected when Roth began touring again as a solo act in 1999 through 2006: I think it would have worked great live at that stage of his career).

Put it this way: Skyscraper was no EEAS II. Too much by way of production technique in comparison and virtually none of the flat-out rawness EEAS had. That's my take on it, anyway. Some people LOVE, say, The Bottom Line...or Two Fools A Minute. I was a bit underwhelmed hearing it when it first came out, and it hasn't really grown on me the way ALAE or YFLM did later with repeated listens. I have it in my collection, but it's probably been 15 years since I've taken it out and spun it from start to finish.

Hey, at least [Skyscraper] wasn't nearly the turd that the 2003 Diamond Dave album was: THAT was scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Finally my 10 years old daughter and I met Billy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. 4 users say thank you to diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (05-07-2017),Dan (05-05-2017),Nickdfresh (05-02-2017),Seshmeister (05-01-2017)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Thanked diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (05-07-2017)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

22. Thanked diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (05-07-2017)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, Billy is such a nice guy. We chated for 30 minutes. He signed my Sonrisa Salvaje album and gave Agustina, my daughter a signed picture . He invited us to the Mr Big show he ll be soon bringing to Uruguay, and he gaves us his e mail to give us backstage passes. He told us he liked our country and we invited him to get to know our hometown, named Tacuarembo, which is 4oo km away from Montevideo. He said he`d come back in september and would visit us during his days off. He talked a lot about techiques and explained us that s no the most important. Paul Mc Carthney did no waste time studing these technics and has writen amazing songs. He recommended us to play covers like EVH used to, because that will give tools to extract your ideas. There are two albums you must learn to play: Beatles Sargent Pepper and AC DC Back in Black, they condense all musical rock knowledge. After that you may follow his steps.
    He has been playing during 50 yeras and the key word is relentless- he even has this word tatooed on his arm-.
    There is no impossible in bass nor in life.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

hIS TYPICAL DAY BEGINS AT 4 AM WHEN HIS CAT sPOOKIE WAKES HIM UP so he`d feed it.
    After that he spend 4 hours at I tunes, hes got two terabites of music, he fix albums,study their cover art, and try to catch interesting things to play.
    After that he goes to the room where he plays, always plugged, from nine to thirteen.
    The he have lunch and take a lil nap. The rest of the day he s busy on some musical project, like designing bass props for Yamaha, or playing with his actual band. He sleeps at eleven til the cat strikes again...

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He `s got the skyscraper master, the eat and smile takes, and some crazy from the heat rough stuff. He also got two a show from the eat em and smile era professional filmed. But Dave has the rights, so he is not allowed to release them, neither torrent them. It s not Dave , but the company is terrible about this.
    About playing with Dave, he told me that it won t happen this year nor the next. Dave is working with the brothers right now and that means Dave will be busy until 2019. He hopes Dave would call him and do a dozen shows or so. But he thinks that will happen in a couple of years, after the Van Halen act closes.That all folks, as Bugs Bunny says!!!

26. 7 users say thank you to diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (05-10-2017),big fatty (05-07-2017),Dan (05-05-2017),FORD (05-02-2017),Full Bug (05-04-2017),moose (05-02-2017),Seshmeister (05-01-2017)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

P.S: One more thing: About the 1988 split. Dave expected to return to Van Halen in 1988. Everybody was thinking that way, Hagar included. But at the very last moment the reunion collapsed, and Dave wanted to get a new young band , because Steve and Billy were way expensive to keep full time members, and the temporal deal had expired. Skyscraper was supposed to be the last solo album Dave d release. But things changed, and David wanted to start a long term band, so he could release his solo stuff for a decade or so.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondclaudio View Post
    P.S: One more thing: About the 1988 split. Dave expected to return to Van Halen in 1988. Everybody was thinking that way, Hagar included. But at the very last moment the reunion collapsed, and Dave wanted to get a new young band , because Steve and Billy were way expensive to keep full time members, and the temporal deal had expired. Skyscraper was supposed to be the last solo album Dave d release. But things changed, and David wanted to start a long term band, so he could release his solo stuff for a decade or so.
    About Roth getting back together with Van Halen in 1988, now there's one I'd never heard before.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    About Roth getting back together with Van Halen in 1988, now there's one I'd never heard before.
    Never heard of that either, but it wouldn't surprise me. Eddie had to be embarrassed by some of the crap on Othisblowsgoats2. Maybe he heard "Damn Good" on the radio and felt a little nostalgic.....

(one of the few reasons I bother to keep that SkyCrapper CD)

30. 3 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017),Dan (05-05-2017),Terry (05-04-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hadn't heard it either. But I recall Dave has said more than once that he felt his departure from Van Halen was a break not dissimilar to Aerosmith carrying on after Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left, and that he had expected them to reunite in relative short order with some sort of reunion similar to Aerosmith's Done With Mirrors/Pump era....

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

So...we learn that Dave is working with the brothers right now and look at all the excitement here! I've never seen that place going that nuts about =VH= news! Wow...

33. 2 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (05-07-2017),DLR Bridge (05-24-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Considering Dave's been back with the band a full decade now, and they have exactly one studio album, which turned out to be mostly a "Tattoo You" style plunder the vaults and overdub the vocals effort, maybe the shock value has worn off a little.

At this point, the only truly shocking things would be Mike Sobolewski back in the band or a completely new from scratch Van Halen album. Preferrably both, of course.

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    So...we learn that Dave is working with the brothers right now and look at all the excitement here! I've never seen that place going that nuts about =VH= news! Wow...
    I'm confused! The front page here says a Van Hagar tour this year! Which is it?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I hadn't heard it either. But I recall Dave has said more than once that he felt his departure from Van Halen was a break not dissimilar to Aerosmith carrying on after Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left, and that he had expected them to reunite in relative short order with some sort of reunion similar to Aerosmith's Done With Mirrors/Pump era....
    Well, Dave was always consistent in his interviews in the immediate wake of the 1985 split in terms of not putting down in any way what Van Halen had created on a musical level when Roth was in the band, unlike the rest of Van Halen (including Hagar) who - in print - belittled what Roth had contributed to the group ("Dave has a limited vocal range" "Sammy's just a better singer" "There are no limits to what we can do now that Sammy is in the band" blah blah blah).

I'm not saying Roth didn't tell Billy while Skyscraper was being made that [Roth] thought he would return to Van Halen in fairly short order. It's just odd that Dave would have actually thought that would be true in 1987/1988 in the wake of 5150's commercial success and OU812 having a pretty decent initial success when released: like, why would Dave have even been thinking Van Halen would have wanted him back at THAT point?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Considering Dave's been back with the band a full decade now, and they have exactly one studio album, which turned out to be mostly a "Tattoo You" style plunder the vaults and overdub the vocals effort, maybe the shock value has worn off a little.

At this point, the only truly shocking things would be Mike Sobolewski back in the band or a completely new from scratch Van Halen album. Preferrably both, of course.
    Good comparison to the Tattoo You-style revamping of old recordings re: ADKOT.

About the only thing left that Van Halen COULD do to really get me psyched would be Anthony returning to the fold and a proper, full-length CVH album of new material. It's really what the band SHOULD do at this point.

That being the case, naturally it won't happen. Much like with Roth back in the fold, what the band SHOULD have done was release a CVH live audio/video box set. What we got for our troubles was (shudder) Live At The Tokyo Dome...

It would have been so easy for the band to have gotten it right at any point in the last 21 years, because the solution was THAT simple:

CVH lineup, new album, tour

Van Halen being what it became post-1985, naturally the group took the long way around the barn, found itself short on definitive members, wasted more time futzing around and eventually came up with a 75% solution that couldn't deliver the goods:

It's 2007. Mike is gone, Wolf looks out of place, Ed's fucked up, Dave is on point

It's 2012. New album of reworked demos, Wolf is fitting in better, Ed's sober and playing well, Dave's off point.

It's 2015. Here's a live album nobody asked for, all three Van Halens are playing well, Dave is trending downhill.

It's like, can you guys just unfuck yourselves, get Mike back, record a new album and give us one final CVH tour? Sooner rather than later? Like, say, in 2018? A 40th Anniversary tour. Take the next 6 months, write and record a new record, then take the following 4 months and rehearse while the venues are being booked. Then do a 3 month summer tour. Then, call it a day. Bring it all back home and go out how you started.

38. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017),DLR Bridge (05-24-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's always possible that Eddie and/or Alex might have called Dave first to attempt to work things out with him. Van Hagar was certainly commercially successful at the time, but at what cost? Maybe they really hated writing cheese ballads after all. Or it might have been their manager Ed Leffler, who was Hagar's manager before he joined the band, came in with him, and no doubt took his side if there were any disputes within the band. From what I remember, Leffler managed to get the band a higher royalty rate from Warner Brothers in the late 80s. Maybe he did that to stay on the brothers' good side? He must have done something right because Van Hagar didn't really start falling apart until after he died in 1993.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Im Naked.

Hello Everyone.

Roth On.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    It's always possible that Eddie and/or Alex might have called Dave first to attempt to work things out with him. Van Hagar was certainly commercially successful at the time, but at what cost? Maybe they really hated writing cheese ballads after all. Or it might have been their manager Ed Leffler, who was Hagar's manager before he joined the band, came in with him, and no doubt took his side if there were any disputes within the band. From what I remember, Leffler managed to get the band a higher royalty rate from Warner Brothers in the late 80s. Maybe he did that to stay on the brothers' good side? He must have done something right because Van Hagar didn't really start falling apart until after he died in 1993.

Possible, Ed strikes me as a guy that always managed to be miserable about something in those days...

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    Yeah- You'd think that'd be something someone would comment about.

Diamond Claudio meets Billy Sheehan has a nice meeting pics with his lovely daughter. Takes the time to graciously share his encounter mentioning answers to questions asked......

But yeah- Jeez Skyscraper pops out as whats focused upon.

Bummer no Eat Em & Smile reunion anytime soon until 2019 at least since Dave's currently busy with VH.

Fuck that sucks. Shit.

If only Dave wasn't currently busy working with VH then maybe wouldn't have to wait until 2019 for a Billy Sheehan reunion.

Ah well.

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2023 @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks Claudio! Ya made my Sunday.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess that might really explain the Eat Em' band split. I mentioned it might be money that Vai & Billy split. Seems like there was some truth to that. But yeah never heard Dave expected to go back to V.H.around this period from anyone. It's a shame it didn't happen. Just like 96. I'm finding it kind of hard to believe honestly. Van Hagar was flying high with 2 number one albums at the time. I know Ed & Dave talked when the brothers pop's passed away in 88. I wonder if they had a conversation about getting back together ? Another missed reunion that should have happened. What was that Cher song ? If I Could Turn Back Time ? It is what it is....... Bring back Mike, record an album for release late this year and go out on a 40th anniversary tour. The thrill is almost gone..........

45. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good comparison to the Tattoo You-style revamping of old recordings re: ADKOT.

About the only thing left that Van Halen COULD do to really get me psyched would be Anthony returning to the fold and a proper, full-length CVH album of new material. It's really what the band SHOULD do at this point.

That being the case, naturally it won't happen. Much like with Roth back in the fold, what the band SHOULD have done was release a CVH live audio/video box set. What we got for our troubles was (shudder) Live At The Tokyo Dome...

It would have been so easy for the band to have gotten it right at any point in the last 21 years, because the solution was THAT simple:

CVH lineup, new album, tour

Van Halen being what it became post-1985, naturally the group took the long way around the barn, found itself short on definitive members, wasted more time futzing around and eventually came up with a 75% solution that couldn't deliver the goods:

It's 2007. Mike is gone, Wolf looks out of place, Ed's fucked up, Dave is on point

It's 2012. New album of reworked demos, Wolf is fitting in better, Ed's sober and playing well, Dave's off point.

It's 2015. Here's a live album nobody asked for, all three Van Halens are playing well, Dave is trending downhill.

It's like, can you guys just unfuck yourselves, get Mike back, record a new album and give us one final CVH tour? Sooner rather than later? Like, say, in 2018? A 40th Anniversary tour. Take the next 6 months, write and record a new record, then take the following 4 months and rehearse while the venues are being booked. Then do a 3 month summer tour. Then, call it a day. Bring it all back home and go out how you started.
    The book on the last few decades of Van Halen would be called Could Have, Should Have, Didn't.......Ed & Dave on stage just never were on the same page all three tours, other than around 08. Baltimore is a killer show, but yeah too far and few between. And no Mike has sucked in general.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The book on the last few decades of Van Halen would be called Could Have, Should Have, Didn't.......Ed & Dave on stage just never were on the same page all three tours, other than around 08. Baltimore is a killer show, but yeah too far and few between. And no Mike has sucked in general.
    Mike has sucked in general, or did you mean to say Wolf has sucked in general?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I guess that might really explain the Eat Em' band split. I mentioned it might be money that Vai & Billy split. Seems like there was some truth to that. But yeah never heard Dave expected to go back to V.H.around this period from anyone. It's a shame it didn't happen. Just like 96. I'm finding it kind of hard to believe honestly. Van Hagar was flying high with 2 number one albums at the time. I know Ed & Dave talked when the brothers pop's passed away in 88. I wonder if they had a conversation about getting back together ? Another missed reunion that should have happened. What was that Cher song ? If I Could Turn Back Time ? It is what it is....... Bring back Mike, record an album for release late this year and go out on a 40th anniversary tour. The thrill is almost gone..........
    I mean, maybe Roth told Billy in early 1988 that [Roth] would return to Van Halen in the next couple years, and maybe Roth actually believed in his own mind back in 1988 that would actually come to pass by the time 1990 rolled around. It wouldn't have surprised me to find out Dave and Ed had spoken shortly after Jan Van Halen's passing in late 1987. Who knows? Maybe Roth extrapolated something from that encounter that was far beyond anything Eddie Van Halen was thinking at the time.

I mean, I just can't imagine by the time early 1988 rolled around that Eddie Van Halen, after wanting to quit the band from the period when they were making Fair Warning through the 1984 tour, and having hooked up with Hagar who he was getting along great with, and having put out the first Van Halen - 5150 - to reach #1 on the album charts, and having a highly successful tour with Hagar, and having went through 2 years of trading insults with Roth in the press starting in 1985...that in late 1987/early 1988 Eddie would suddenly want to have Roth rejoin the band. The time frame of that, considering all the other stuff I mentioned, is nonsensical.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mike has sucked in general, or did you mean to say Wolf has sucked in general?
    I don't dislike Wolf. He plays fine. But I meant Mike's not being in the band, that sucks, he should be there. Well when they do something. Might be too late at this point .......Ed seems more interested in golf than a guitar.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 05-14-2017 at 02:14 PM.

50. Thanked 78/84 guy for this KICKASS post:

bru87tr (05-14-2017)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I mean, maybe Roth told Billy in early 1988 that [Roth] would return to Van Halen in the next couple years, and maybe Roth actually believed in his own mind back in 1988 that would actually come to pass by the time 1990 rolled around. It wouldn't have surprised me to find out Dave and Ed had spoken shortly after Jan Van Halen's passing in late 1987. Who knows? Maybe Roth extrapolated something from that encounter that was far beyond anything Eddie Van Halen was thinking at the time.

I mean, I just can't imagine by the time early 1988 rolled around that Eddie Van Halen, after wanting to quit the band from the period when they were making Fair Warning through the 1984 tour, and having hooked up with Hagar who he was getting along great with, and having put out the first Van Halen - 5150 - to reach #1 on the album charts, and having a highly successful tour with Hagar, and having went through 2 years of trading insults with Roth in the press starting in 1985...that in late 1987/early 1988 Eddie would suddenly want to have Roth rejoin the band. The time frame of that, considering all the other stuff I mentioned, is nonsensical.
    I agree. But I don't think Dave was just throwing darts if he indeed told Billy that. He must have has some reason for saying it. I don't think he thought he was gonna dial up Ed and just say hey I'M BACK ! You never know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Ed & Al listened to Hags lyrics finally.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't dislike Wolf. He plays fine. But I meant Mike's not being in the band, that sucks, he should be there. Well when they do something. Might be too late at this point .......Ed seems more interested in golf than a guitar.
    Got it. I just wasn't clear what you meant.

I mean, the whole Mike Anthony thing is just a case of what CVH fans want apparently doesn't line up with how Eddie has valued Mike's contribution to the band going back a long way. Even as far back as 1982 in an off-the-record interview where Eddie said that at least Roth pulls his own weight within the band, unlike Anthony. It took decades for the audio of that interview to be released, but when it finally was it made a lot of sense when put into context of Ed's more recent public comments regarding Mike's bass playing (where Eddie claims he had to literally show Mike what to play - a bullshit claim which nobody outside of Eddie actually believes) and Mike's background vocals (where Eddie claims that in fact Eddie's background voice was more responsible for the signature CVH background vocal sound than Mike's had been - another bullshit claim which nobody with a pair of functioning ears actually believes). Combine that with Eddie making sure Mike's royalty percentage on the publishing was adjusted downward over the years (in conjunction with the claim that Mike didn't provide much in the way of actually writing any of the Van Halen music, which I'd tend to think is more than a bit plausible) down the line to not even wanting Anthony on the 2004 tour, nor wanting Anthony to play on the Van Halen III album or the BOBW tracks...and all sorts of rumors of Eddie playing bass on various Van Halen albums going back as far as Fair Warning...the upshot of all of it being that Eddie Van Halen doesn't think much of Mike Anthony. Not even close to as much as the fans who want to see Anthony back in the band do.

I think it's also safe to surmise that had Wolfgang not joined the band in 2006, it's just as likely than not that what the band has managed to do with Roth in the last ten years may well not have happened. I mean, Ed was a fucking wreck for a good chunk of the early and mid 2000s. He looked like he had given up any semblance of cleaning up, getting sober and getting his act together. Even as recently as late 2006, his NAMM appearance displayed him in a semi-coherent condition, not really able to play up to par. From appearances, he got a buff-and-shine rehab detox treatment in early 2007 (which I tend to think was conditional on the part of promoters before they agreed to even book another Van Halen tour - Roth or not - after what happened in 2004: even the word of Azoff alone wasn't going to be enough to convince moneyed promoters Ed would be in a condition to play: Eddie had to SHOW the public he was sober before any guarantees for live appearances would be given). The 2007 leg of the Roth reunion tour started off strong. Lest we forget, Eddie relapsed on that tour after a few months. The explanations of "diverticulitis" and "arthritis" were provided for his condition. Perhaps both of these were true. However, when I saw them in Tampa in 2008, I could practically smell the booze and see it sweating off of his pores on the Jumbotron. He passably held it together for the first 6 tunes. Slowly but steadily, Eddie unraveled at that gig. The two most telling moments for me were the ending of Little Guitars, where Eddie is performing his fingerpicked outro: Roth was standing next to him onstage, and Eddie meekly fumbles through the outro, then rests his head on Roth's shoulder while Roth looks at the audience with an expression that was as much an admission of Eddie's condition as it was an apology for the audience who had paid not unsubstantial ticket prices to see it. The other was Ed's solo spot near the end of the show, where you could literally see in 30 foot tall digital clarity that Ed couldn't coordinate his picking and his fretting and the whole spot dissolved into this whammy bar feedback wanking that literally left the audience silently asking themselves: what is going on with Eddie Van Halen? Keeping in mind that by the time the Tampa 2008 show took place the band had been on the road for 6 months (so this wasn't a case of early tour jitters) and this wasn't an isolated incident.

Eventually, Eddie got his act together. And I think one of the prime motivating reasons for it was the love he has for playing music with his son. I honestly get the feeling that Eddie is fairly indifferent to performing with Mike Anthony because there's no respect or love there on Eddie's part. Eddie has treated Anthony like a worthless employee who brought virtually nothing to the band, piggybacked to fame and fortune on the coattails of what Eddie did, then stabbed Eddie in the back for preserving a friendship with Sammy Hagar and not attending Eddie's mother's funeral. Anthony's touring percentage was whittled down, his image at one point was erased from an online representation of Van Halen's first album...I mean, Anthony publicly has taken the high road about all of this. All I can figure is that by the time the 2004 was over, Anthony finally reached the point where he had enough of dealing with Eddie Van Halen, and going forward from that Anthony sees no upside in trashing Eddie publicly: Anthony is financially solvent, he plays with people who appreciate him being onstage with them, and Anthony isn't looking to go back to a diminished percentage role with the Van Halens and be treated like a parasitic subordinate by Eddie Van Halen.

And, really, why the fuck SHOULD Anthony go back to Van Halen at this point? Beyond the mere reason that fans would like to see it? I mean, nobody in Van Halen has Mike Anthony's back. Not Roth, not Alex and definitely not Eddie. Mike has had no relationship with Roth to speak of (and admittedly that relationship was never all that close even when they were both in Van Halen) for decades. Alex does what his brother wants, and his brother has no use for Mike. Were I Mike, if the Van Halens approached me for performing on a one-time reunion tour, I'd say "Okay. I get 25% of the split, non-negotiable": if you're going to be onstage with three other people who are at best apathetic to your presence and participation, but your participation is part and parcel of the value of whatever a CVH Reunion/Farewell tour would be at this point, you may as well get paid what you are worth.

For Anthony to agree to anything less than that makes him nothing more than the doormat the Van Halens have treated him like for decades now. I mean, if Anthony would want to agree to anything less than that and continue to be Eddie's bitch, I suppose it is hard to break free of relationship roles. I also think Anthony honestly would be willing to take a pay cut out of genuine concern "for the fans"...but I hope he doesn't. I hope if such a scenario comes to pass Anthony displays a set of balls...

I mean, it's all moot and academic anyway at this point. Even with Anthony aboard, Van Halen are too old to cut the mustard - or even lick the knife - regardless of who is singing with them or playing bass for them. The idea that if only somehow the planets harmonically converge, all the fruit in the slot machine lines up and we actually GET the CVH reunion we have wanted and that will somehow make the band sound substantially better than they have over the last ten years...nope.

53. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Full Bug (05-15-2017)

Thread Information