Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Van Halen Album Hunt

About a month ago, my vinyl collection and my Vintage Stereo system was stolen.

Without getting too much into it, I have only replaced VH1, VH2, Women and Children First, Fair Warning and Diver Down with original pressings.

They aren't Mint grade or anything, and the stories aren't there, but I have them. I haven't been willing to buy 1984 yet. Part of it is the shit prices for really bad grades of albums. I found an VG+ grade at a flea market yesterday, and the guy wanted to charge me $30. I got him down to 20, and thought, no way I'm buying this album for $20.

My 1984 album story is probably similar to a lot of you that are my age. The buzz in 1983 was incredible for that album, long before it came out. Remember, we're talking the days of big malls, and record stores. My local mall had three record stores, and there were a few other places to pick albums up at...but I used to spend hours flipping through records. Anyways, that 1984 album signage was everywhere in the Mall that December...that smoking baby was more popular than any runway model...and being a regular at the local National Record Mart, I knew the first customer copy was coming to me. Still had it...plastic...price sticker still there...opening day $6.99.

Now, I don't know much about the cost of albums these days. I buy new albums when they come out...but don't pay much attention to the vintage market. That said, if ANYONE happens to have two copies of an original press of 1984 that you don't use anymore...I'd rather have that story, then buying this thing on ebay. They have them on there, with plastic, for around $20.

That's how I bought the first five...but now I want my stories back...

MAN...every album...

Missed the Army...I'll be back more frequently...if there's anyone still here from the days of youth...

Oh, and fuck you Von...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked POJO_Risin for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (04-16-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,982 Posts

WTF? Somebody stole your shit? From your house? That's what you get for living in queErie!

When are we doing a Tigers/Indians home and home?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

How is an original pressing of 1984 identified if it's still wrapped? Is there a unique UPC code or something? I did a quick Google and found some info about the markings in the "dead wax" by the label.

Co-worker of mine just scored a pretty large collection of LP's, I'll see what he has. He's friends with a guy who has a small record store out in Ashtabula, maybe we'll check there too. There's always Record Den in Mentor, where I've shopped since the early 80's, and a couple shops in Coventry. I bought a membership to the Rock Hall and was planning on hitting Coventry on the way back home.

And welcome back Pojo!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nah...it was in redneck Raleigh. This year bitch. I'll be back in Erie in July...we can set it up then...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yo twona...thanks bro. I'm actually going to be in The Land in the next day or two. Let me know what you come up with. I'm going to hit a shop in Lakewood...My Mind's Eye...love the place. I've almost bought it about 20 times on eBay...but am now trying to nab EEAS and some of Ruth's stuff as well...so looking for a lot.

Like I said...let me know what you come up with. Yo...by the way...perhaps we oughta hook up for a beer...catch a game...let me know. As always, I have an in or two for tix...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    About a month ago, my vinyl collection and my Vintage Stereo system was stolen.

Without getting too much into it, I have only replaced VH1, VH2, Women and Children First, Fair Warning and Diver Down with original pressings.

They aren't Mint grade or anything, and the stories aren't there, but I have them. I haven't been willing to buy 1984 yet. Part of it is the shit prices for really bad grades of albums. I found an VG+ grade at a flea market yesterday, and the guy wanted to charge me $30. I got him down to 20, and thought, no way I'm buying this album for $20.

My 1984 album story is probably similar to a lot of you that are my age. The buzz in 1983 was incredible for that album, long before it came out. Remember, we're talking the days of big malls, and record stores. My local mall had three record stores, and there were a few other places to pick albums up at...but I used to spend hours flipping through records. Anyways, that 1984 album signage was everywhere in the Mall that December...that smoking baby was more popular than any runway model...and being a regular at the local National Record Mart, I knew the first customer copy was coming to me. Still had it...plastic...price sticker still there...opening day $6.99.

Now, I don't know much about the cost of albums these days. I buy new albums when they come out...but don't pay much attention to the vintage market. That said, if ANYONE happens to have two copies of an original press of 1984 that you don't use anymore...I'd rather have that story, then buying this thing on ebay. They have them on there, with plastic, for around $20.

That's how I bought the first five...but now I want my stories back...

MAN...every album...

Missed the Army...I'll be back more frequently...if there's anyone still here from the days of youth...

Oh, and fuck you Von...
    Well, well ,well, look who is back here it seems.

Totally random story about Albums. Not sure why this was the case but back in the day the cheapest records in all of North America was apparently right here in Vancouver.

Paid $4.99 for pretty much every one.

The store was A & B Sound. Remember the build-up of "The Day" when a new CVH album was to be released.

Can't imagine losing all of those great memories.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have an original pressing of The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman. Does that count?

Thread Information