X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
    Another little-known fact is that Alex came up with ALL of those zany one-liners (sometimes known as 'Rothisms') that Dave would say during interviews. Al would type out answers to hypothetical questions Roth could expect during interviews and have Roth memorize what Al had typed out.

Al was also the guy who taught those karate moves - the leaps, jumps, splits - to Dave. He also encouraged Dave to promote an image of being a cool, hip womanizer. Al even came up with Roth's stage name, 'David Lee Roth'. About the only aspect of Roth's celebrity Al DIDN'T contribute to was Roth's fashion sense and the clothes [Roth] wore.

And that was how Hymie Lipschitz - a barely closeted/same sex advocate, 98 pound weakling from Beverly Hills - eventually transformed into David Lee Roth. It also explains the ass less leather chaps, the obsession with spandex and the lack of women who came forward later with tell-all books.
    Ha! Ha! It was also Al who showed that fag Lipschitz how to drink real whiskey.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Well it was Sammy who turned Ed into a homo and that explains why Ed got another one (Gary Cherone) after his gay lover Sammy dumped him.

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        One of the reasons at least...
        The only technical reason that was plausible... lol
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Igosplut
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have yet to read Monks book, but I did read Greg Renoff's. Books from anybody (even band members) are just the one side of a multiple-sided story of a frame of time in a band. While it's nice to get some inside story's, most often the truth is in between the lines.
          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            Ha! Ha! It was also Al who showed that fag Lipschitz how to drink real whiskey.
            A little known fact: Hymie's Jack Daniel's bottle was always filled with Bartles & James non-alcoholic wine coolers. Lipschitz, light in the loafers as he was, tended to favor either Tab soda or Paul Lynde's Fabulous Fizzy Seltzer Water as his drink of choice.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
              I have yet to read Monks book, but I did read Greg Renoff's. Books from anybody (even band members) are just the one side of a multiple-sided story of a frame of time in a band. While it's nice to get some inside story's, most often the truth is in between the lines.
              Between the lines of coke and lines of groupies.

Comment

• silverfish
                Foot Soldier
                • Mar 2007

Kindle version of the Monk book now priced at $1.99

amazon.com/dp/B01HM27IEO

I woulda preferred a hard copy and even had it on
                my wishlist but for two bucks I couldn't pass it up.
                Originally posted by sadaist
                I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Reading it now. I like Monk's terse writing style and it seems to be a good overview. The guacamole incident made me piss myself!
                  Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-28-2017, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    Reading it now. I like Monk's terse writing style and it seems to be a good overview. The guacamole incident made me piss myself!
                    It was a good read. I like listening to interviews with Monk. His voice is great. He sounds like some old grandpa telling stories of when he was on the road with the Van Halen gang.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Noel is apparently a bit upset, posted on Facebook:

My agent Frank Weiman at Folio Literature will not pay me my royalties or give me the book sales or accounting on “Runnin’ with the Devil “ even with my Jan in ICU.

What a horrible fuck he is, like most book agents.

Matt at Harper Collins goes along with his actions.
                        He recommended Frank to me...

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

So....I am a little late to the party...I had some time off this week and finally read both RWTD and VH Rising. Although I enjoyed reading both books it is not like I really learned something unexpected or new...These guys were young and idiots, I agree and copy davidleenatra on this.....EVH is the only reason why WB signed VH in the first place and I must admit EVH is why I was attracted to this band anyway...DLR was the drive behind this band from the get go and in summary VH is really EVH and DLR, no contest about that...The best part of my readings is the following quote: "Hoping from a little beach time, both bands (VH & Y&T) got to the club early on Jan 17. Haze says Dave and I were sitting out on this brick wall that was by a cement walkway. There was sand on one side and you've got street on the other. We were smoking a joint, like Dave and I usually did. Eddie comes walking out. He's sitting there smoking with us. After the three got high, Edward pulled out a harmonica. Haze says He goes Man I just bought this thing. And he`s blowing like he's played that thing forever. Dave goes, Doesn't that just piss you off man? ....I will spare you the following saxophone and drum stories. EVH is a genious thats it. Damn, I wish I could be better to describe my readings (ala Terry) but that's all I can give you when I'm wasted, lol.
                          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Audiobook on YouTube. Eleven hours worth...

Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A bit ironic reading comments from people saying how they enjoyed the stories of fighting bootleggers...

More views than I would have thought, hope he made some money from the book before this went up.

Comment

• Funkmonkey
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                                I agree whole heartedly that the Sheehan idea would have been a terrible combo and I'm glad it never played out...

Here's a perfect example of where I think Mike and Al's contribution to song writing is overlooked... Take Runnin With the Devil as one of the prime examples. Give it a good listen and isolate the vocals and Ed's simple guitar rhythm rift out and focus your ears on Mike and Al's parts. They aren't playing in reaction to Ed's guitar... Ed's actually layered on top of the tight rhythm section.

Pay really close attention to the timing between Al's snare, Mike's bass note and Al's kick drum in that order... There's even a ghost note coming from Mike's picking hand that was captured in the original recording and the timing signature is pure Van Halen magic!! None of that magic comes from Ed or Dave. All of those key rhythmic elements and critical parts were "written", created and produced by each member.

You can even hear those same elements in live recordings with Mike. It really stood out to me when I heard the band with Wolfgang on bass... Wolf sounds like every other guy "trying" to cover what sounds like a the simplest bass riff known to man... and missing the magic.
                                Pearls of wisdom, ZZ.

Comment

Working...