Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

http://www.laweekly.com/music/former...e-band-8316250

What Was It Like to Spend Months on the Road With Van Halen?

In less than a year, Van Halen went from making $750 a show while touring as support for bands like Journey and Black Sabbath to a $75,000 payday co-headlining the California World Music Festival at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Former Van Halen manager Noel E. Monk writes about this steep ascension in his new book, Runnin’ with the Devil. Although Monk hadn’t heard a note of Van Halen’s music when he agreed to come on board in 1978, initially as a tour manager, it was soon apparent to him the band was special. And Monk had been around special before. He’d helped stage-manage Woodstock, was San Francisco concert impresario Bill Graham' right-hand man, befriended artists like Janis Joplin and Grateful Dead, worked with the Rolling Stones, and had most recently been tour manager for the Sex Pistols. He chronicled his time with the latter punk legends in his 1990 book, 12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America.

In Runnin’ with the Devil — which was co-written with Joe Layden and was published June 13 by Dey St. — Monk tells with a raconteur’s tone the kind of juicy stories (ketchup-fetish groupies, booze-and-coke fueled hotel-trashing, ridiculous rock star requests) that fans want to read. He also has plenty of more soulful memories about a young, hungry Van Halen seeing the world for the first time — and of singer/sexpot David Lee Roth, guitar genius Eddie Van Halen, bassist/nice guy Michael Anthony and drummer/hell-raiser Alex Van Halen beginning to realize their collective musical powers.

The son of a New York garment rep, Monk saw untapped vast earnings and led Van Halen to establish their own merchandising company, including manufacturing, which became a massive revenue source for the band. He’s also quick to credit former Van Halen production/art director Pete Angelus and Roth for their creativity on Van Halen music videos like “Panama,” “Hot for Teacher” and “Jump” that helped make the band early-MTV darlings.

Runnin’ with the Devil deals much more with the band's business and inner workings than their music. But with Van Halen, that's still page-turning stuff.

Monk was Van Halen's manager from 1978 to 1985, when he was dismissed by the band. On a recent afternoon, he called in for a phone interview from his Colorado Spring home. (I didn’t notice until later that the last four digits of his phone number are 5150, which happens to be the name of Eddie Van Halen’s recording studio, so I didn't get the chance to ask if this was a coincidence.) In the spirit of Van Halen, who embodied good times perhaps more than any other mega band, the interview got off to a freewheeling start; the first thing Monk said on the phone was, “Ah yeah, is this Pam’s Whorehouse?” He soon added, “So we should have a little fun with this.” And that’s what we did. Below are excerpts from our conversation.

In your book you write about the acrimony that developed between Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth. Was there ever a time early on when those two guys would hang out as friends away from the band, that you can remember?

How could they? We were on the road on that first tour, eight, nine months. We got three, four days off maybe. So basically we were with each other all the time. How were you getting away? You do a show, hang out at the bar until five in the morning, you get up and get on the bus you drive to the next show, you get laid. [Laughs] It’s difficult. And I tried to show how it evolved and how it degenerated and the why.

You write how after Van Halen’s 1978 self-titled debut LP, the next four albums were quickly recorded and often rushed, and when you finally got them more time, they made this amazing album, 1984. But all that time together in the studio helped drive the band apart, specifically Eddie and Dave.

You’re talking about the other side [of making music], and that’s egos, drugs and “I’m a superstar.” Time does not melt that away, it enhances it. You come off the road, you gotta do an album, you do it in three weeks, it’s not your best album. I tried to explain that. The first album is the best first album I’ve ever heard a band do and 1984 was equally as brilliant. But the ones in between didn’t live up to it but we had such a fan base and they were such a brilliant [live] band.

For a few years, there’s been a story going around [originated by Gene Simmons] about Eddie Van Halen asking to join Kiss in the early 80s. Are you aware of anything like that ever happening?

No. I don’t think it happened. The one thing about the fans is they live off any innuendo or hearsay.

So you don’t think the band came close to breaking up earlier, like in ’81 or anything like that?

No. That was all fan gossip and writer bullshit.

When Dave made his first solo EP, did he ever hint he decided to do that at least partly because he didn’t think Eddie was in condition to make another Van Halen album at that time?

No. I think he wanted his own career. I don’t know. I never spoke to them again after we broke up in '85, so I can’t talk to that. Who can say why he did it? David’s an anomaly. I think he made a mistake, a big mistake. But that’s me thinking and not me knowing.

If you had to be roommates with either [Sex Pistols singer] Johnny Rotten or David Lee Roth, who’d you pick?

Do you mean what hotel would I jump off the roof of? I loved rooming with Sid [Vicious, Sex Pistols bassist]. Sid and I got a long really well. He was to me the nicest guy in the band. But that question is a moot point. I would have slashed my wrists after a week.

In your book, you wonder if subliminally one of the reasons Eddie Van Halen married actress Valerie Bertinelli was to spite David Lee Roth, who you write about being more fame-driven than Eddie was. Did Dave ever date any famous people that you’re aware of?

David was the first one who said said, “I’m gonna marry a star.” But you’ve got to understand, I never saw him go out with anyone for more than a week or two.

You write about the rest of the band in 1984 moving to get Michael Anthony’s quarter split of the royalties taken away retroactive to the 1984 album, and him signing that addendum. Why do you think Michael agreed to that? Do you think he saw huge potential in future touring earnings or was worried about getting ousted from the band if he didn’t sign?

I don’t understand it, never will. I really liked Michael. He never gave me a problem, ever. I didn’t understand why they did it to him, what he allowed to be done to him. Basically, what I would have said [to him] was, “Leave tonight and say goodbye and keep your $20 million. And they can’t do a show tonight. What are they going to have? No bass player and no [backing] vocal?” I couldn’t believe what they did to him. Usually, David and Edward and Al would have come to me and said, “What should I do”? Michael never came to me and said, “What should I do?” Because I would have told him what to do.

I thought they were the most brilliant stage show. Period. Watching David and Edward and Michael was just extraordinary every night.

Did working on the book and looking back on your time with Van Halen change your opinion about that band in any way?

No, it never changed. I thought they were the most brilliant stage show. Period. Watching David and Edward and Michael was just extraordinary every night. Someone once asked me, “What is the best show you ever saw them do?” And I said, “No that’s not the question. The question is what is the worst show they ever did?” Because they never did a bad show except once …

The US Festival [in 1983].

Right. The US Festival. They never did a bad show. They could be fucked up out of their minds, and they were brilliant. So that to me was amazing. Remember, I saw hundreds of their shows. The first year I saw every one, and usually I saw 90 percent of them.

If Van Halen and David Lee Roth hadn’t split in 1985, what kind of music can you picture that version of the band making next?

My feeling was, in ’84, that I saw the next five or six years of them becoming the biggest band in the world. We didn’t make it. We could’ve been playing stadiums in ’85. We didn’t get to where we could’ve gotten.

Did any rock bands after Van Halen really impress you, like Guns N’ Roses?

I thought they were good. They weren’t Van Halen. I looked.

Did you retire after parting ways with Van Halen?

I took on a band called Prophet. They were good, but they weren’t brilliant. But right off the bat they wouldn’t listen. They screwed up their career. And at that point, after 25, 30 years in the business, I was disillusioned.

What was the most challenging thing about writing a book about a band that fired you all those years ago?

We couldn’t come to a contract. I had done seven years [on a 30-day contract], and they decided they could do better without me. When you read the book you’ll see their reason, which I don’t quite agree with. [Laughs] They lost their merchandising company. They really lost Van Halen. They lost a lot, and so did I. People say they fired me — yeah, they did, because I had a month-to-month contract. But by that time I wanted rid of them as bad as they wanted rid of me.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 7 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-15-2017),FORD (06-19-2017),Full Bug (06-14-2017),katina (07-25-2017),Nickdfresh (06-14-2017),Terry (06-15-2017),ZahZoo (06-17-2017)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,561 Times in 3,449 Posts

Here's another article with some tidbits:

Van Halen's former manager tells all in 'Runnin' with the Devil'

Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony and Eddie Van Halen lived the rock star lifestyle. (FIN COSTELLO/REDFERNS)
    Confidential
    CONFIDENTIAL
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Saturday, May 27, 2017, 6:00 PM
    Eddie Van Halen is one of the best guitarists of his generation, but he might have trouble passing a sixth grade health test. Former Van Halen manager Noel Monk recounts the time Eddie was hit with a paternity suit while engaged to Valerie Bertinelli.

The fretboard whiz tearfully acknowledged he'd had encounters with the woman — but they were limited to oral sex, mostly administered in his car. Do you think, he asked Monk, I could have gotten her pregnant?

Monk shares the tale in "Runnin' With the Devil," a forthcoming new book about his years with the band, from 1978 to 1985. You might figure there'd be some sex, drugs and trashed hotel rooms involved, and Monk doesn’t fail to deliver.

There are groupies aplenty — including the "Ketchup Queens," a pair of beauties with a condiment fetish, and another pair who serviced the entire road crew in order to get backstage.

Eddie was a prodigy at substance abuse as well as the guitar. Monk says that on the band's 1984 tour, Eddie had a personal dealer who flew around the world to supply him with drugs, mostly coke.

He was a prodigious drinker as well — which came into play at his wedding to Bertinelli, whose family were devout Catholics. The newlyweds disappeared after the ceremony, and Monk writes that he found them in a bathroom, Eddie throwing up in the toilet while Bertinelli, in her wedding gown with tears streaming down her cheeks, cradled his head.

Meanwhile, his drummer brother Alex was a serious alcoholic, according to Monk. And David Lee Roth could go off the rails: Monk writes that on a 1981 tour he got so drunk, nasty and out of control, tearing up a hotel room, that the crew had to put him in a straitjacket.

Roth was a complex figure, whose behavior reflected that he was "at heart an entitled rich kid," Monk writes. He once took a shine to a woman he'd had a few encounters with — he thought things could go further, but according to Monk, Roth had VD at the time and had likely given it to her. Feeling bad, the chivalrous front man asked Monk to call the woman and apologize on his behalf. (Monk says he refused, and told him to send flowers.)

Monk was ultimately fired by the band, as it was imploding from Roth’s ego and the brothers’ addictions. His book is out June 13.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3198999
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. 4 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

FORD (06-19-2017),Full Bug (06-14-2017),katina (07-25-2017),Terry (06-15-2017)

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I have the audible version and started listening and I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode where George relies on the audio book, but can't stand the voice...
    Did you buy it online? If so, from what site?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Amazon has an "audible" website:

http://www.audible.com/

7. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Full Bug (06-15-2017)

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I just finished it. DEA was an appropriate summation to the very end of VH...drugs, ego and alcohol. Enjoy, for those of you that aren't through it yet

9. 2 users say thank you to Carmine for this KICKASS post:

moose (06-15-2017),Terry (06-17-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Podcast with the Dave & Dave dudes....

https://www.spreaker.com/user/davean...=episode_title

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Have skimmed through most of it, while reading some parts with keen interest, as part of an initial glance before I read it all cover to cover.

Interesting stuff. Hadn't seen any of the pics before.

First impressions.

A fairly human portrayal of Van Halen. Doesn't blanche in terms of describing the warts-and-all behavior of the band members, but doesn't come across as a hatchet job or a puff piece.

Was interesting in how it certainly amplified my impressions of the personalities of the band members. Anthony comes across as just a nice guy. Eddie comes across as a bit clueless- almost an idiot savant - with just about anything that doesn't involve having a guitar in his hands. Roth comes across as someone with an ego that got more and more overblown as the band became more and more successful, with an entirely self-centered personality that loses whatever offstage charms that might have to offer rather quickly when one has to spend an appreciable amount of time with him.

The personality of most interest in the book is that of Alex, who has always been the toughest one (for me, anyway) to figure out: was he merely Eddie's rubber stamp and had his back, or did Alex in his rare moments of sobriety exert just as much control over the band as Roth and Eddie?

The one thing I stumbled across in my quick blast was the story of how Anthony's percentage was whittled down during the 1984 tour, and that was one thing both Roth and the Van Halens agreed to at a point in the band when those three seemingly could barely tolerate each other's presence. And Anthony willingly signed the agreement. Which, when I take that in conjunction with that off-the-record phone 1982 interview Ed gave where he basically said Anthony was lucky to be in the band and wasn't pulling his own weight, sort of explains the rationale of the ease by which Anthony was finally and permanently ejected for Eddie's kid in 2005: not only did Eddie not place any type of premium for what Anthony brought to the table as far back as the CVH days, but neither did Alex or Dave. Also explains why Dave didn't have any problems going forward without Anthony in 2007.

But, yeah, Anthony seems like a sweetheart of a man, Eddie seems like he could be childishly charming when he wasn't too drunked or coked out, Alex seems like a drunken goon (although I didn't quite agree with Monk's assertion that Alex was merely a competent rock drummer...while I never thought of AVH up there with the all-time great rocks drummers, I thought he was quite a good one) and Roth seems like a guy who would gladly stick his head between his legs to whiff his own asscrack, which doubtless smelled like roses to him. Definitely a guy totally, totally in love with the sound of his own voice and his every utterance.

Then again, I think we all have instinctually known that about Dave, right?

Looks like there's quite a bit of Rock and Roll Business 101 stuff in there regarding CVH's business dealings as well, which I look forward to reading about in greater detail.

Fairly readable in terms of grammar. Fairly well-written.

Decent stuff.

12. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-19-2017),Full Bug (06-17-2017)

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Podcast with the Dave & Dave dudes....

https://www.spreaker.com/user/davean...=episode_title
    I liked Monk's perspective because it seems void of any agenda concerning the members, like some old guy who was once in the mafia and no longer cares and just is telling you like it was. He is direct, his stories all coincide with each other and I think gives a very accurate portrayal of the band and what happened to them then and after. I do not feel a need or any fabrication of the truth on his behalf and he is careful not to make assumptions... put it this way, if he was in a cell being questioned by a cop, they would believe him lol

14. Thanked Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-18-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    I liked Monk's perspective because it seems void of any agenda concerning the members, like some old guy who was once in the mafia and no longer cares and just is telling you like it was. He is direct, his stories all coincide with each other and I think gives a very accurate portrayal of the band and what happened to them then and after. I do not feel a need or any fabrication of the truth on his behalf and he is careful not to make assumptions... put it this way, if he was in a cell being questioned by a cop, they would believe him lol

I haven't started on the book... LOL, took me a while to get going with Van Halen Rising as well....

But I've seen a comment or so on FB saying that he's coming across as bitter....

I guess I'll see after I read it, but I don't see how he can be called bitter by merely confirming for all of us in a first-person point of view about the massive egos in that band....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

He claims credit for quite a few things that Roth implied were his own ideas over the years.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and some of it is reminding me of Ian Faith, but then they both had very similar jobs...

For one thing that goes wrong... one... one single thing that goes wrong, a hundred things go right. Do you know what I spend my time doing? I sleep two or three hours a night. There's no sex and drugs for Ian, David. Do you know what I do? I find lost luggage. I locate mandolin strings in the middle of Austin!

17. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-18-2017)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I haven't started on the book... LOL, took me a while to get going with Van Halen Rising as well....

But I've seen a comment or so on FB saying that he's coming across as bitter....

I guess I'll see after I read it, but I don't see how he can be called bitter by merely confirming for all of us in a first-person point of view about the massive egos in that band....
    Reality isn't always so pretty and neat when viewed with no filters... Most folks have this comfortable image of their heroes built from sound bites and staged imagery. They blame the messenger when the celebrity is portrayed as the flawed human being they really are...

Once you recognize we're all just filthy animals in fancy clothes... the magic fades pretty quick!!

19. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-18-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Well, he doesn't speak to things he wasn't there for, like recording sessions and the like. The things he does speak to in terms of saying this event or that event factually happened are things he was physically present for. And none of it struck me as beyond belief in terms of hyperbole.

21. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (06-19-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Reality isn't always so pretty and neat when viewed with no filters... Most folks have this comfortable image of their heroes built from sound bites and staged imagery. They blame the messenger when the celebrity is portrayed as the flawed human being they really are...

Once you recognize we're all just filthy animals in fancy clothes... the magic fades pretty quick!!
    This book, much like Van Halen Rising, humanizes the band.

And that's not a bad thing: the truth is always more interesting than a concocted myth.

You really didn't hear much when CVH was operating about the behind-the-scenes stuff. It was only after the Roth split (the end game of that being something else Monk doesn't address in terms of the particulars, since he left the organization in January of 1985, thus wasn't there for it) and the barbs in the press were exchanged in the wake of that event, that we got a real sense of the insider stuff.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

[Monk] certainly conveys his sense of anger at - in essence - being let go in early 1985 as to how he felt at that time, when he pushed for a permanent management contract with the band rather than the existing month-to-month renewal that had been the modus operandi prior to that.

Beyond that, I think it's exactly like Jetstream said, in that Monk does approximate the tone of one of those old mafia guys who has been out of the organization for so long any excess of emotion he once felt has been replaced by a "whatever...you want to hear how it was in the old days, here it is" attitude.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The one thing I stumbled across in my quick blast was the story of how Anthony's percentage was whittled down during the 1984 tour, and that was one thing both Roth and the Van Halens agreed to at a point in the band when those three seemingly could barely tolerate each other's presence. And Anthony willingly signed the agreement. Which, when I take that in conjunction with that off-the-record phone 1982 interview Ed gave where he basically said Anthony was lucky to be in the band and wasn't pulling his own weight, sort of explains the rationale of the ease by which Anthony was finally and permanently ejected for Eddie's kid in 2005: not only did Eddie not place any type of premium for what Anthony brought to the table as far back as the CVH days, but neither did Alex or Dave. Also explains why Dave didn't have any problems going forward without Anthony in 2007.
    I guess Anthony had 2 options at the point, leave with his 1984 writing royalties or give them up and stay. Given the sales of 1984 it must have been a long time before that decision became the correct one financially offset by Van Hagar.

The thing that always struck me about that, which when you hear how it was done in this book only makes it worse is the massive hypocrisy of Alex Van Halen retaining his publishing.

I've just finished the book and I'm trying to work out who comes out of it worse Dave or Alex and who Monk disliked more at the end.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-18-2017 at 04:24 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another intervew about the book and Monk has Anthony's share as being $20 million.

I would guess it's possible he never made that back with his whole Van Hagar career?

I don’t understand it, never will. I really liked Michael. He never gave me a problem, ever. I didn’t understand why they did it to him, what he allowed to be done to him. Basically, what I would have said [to him] was, “Leave tonight and say goodbye and keep your $20 million. And they can’t do a show tonight. What are they going to have? No bass player and no [backing] vocal?” I couldn’t believe what they did to him. Usually, David and Edward and Al would have come to me and said, “What should I do”? Michael never came to me and said, “What should I do?” Because I would have told him what to do.
    Or maybe he misspoke, a quarter share on writing royalties sounds more like $2 million?
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-18-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I guess Anthony had 2 options at the point, leave with his 1984 writing royalties or give them up and stay. Given the sales of 1984 it must have been a long time before that decision became the correct one financially offset by Van Hagar.

The thing that always struck me about that, which when you hear how it was done in this book only makes it worse is the massive hypocrisy of Alex Van Halen retaining his publishing.

I've just finished the book and I'm trying to work out who comes out of it worse Dave or Alex and who Monk disliked more at the end.
    Well, I'd tend to guess Anthony - quite reasonably - thought he wouldn't be where he was BUT for having hooked up with the Van Halens and Roth. Anthony, by his own admission, didn't write anything. Plus, who knew in 1984 that Van Halen was going to go the way it went? I mean, I can see Van Halen still having made it big without either Anthony or Alex. Dave and Eddie were the creative nucleus. Granted, it wouldn't have been the same band by default, but even back in the day, you never heard people raving about the drumming or the bass playing (both aspects I quite enjoyed, but to say anything other than that Dave and Eddie were the primary focal points for me would be disingenuous).

In terms of Alex and his publishing royalty hypocrisy, one word: nepotism. Not even by way of particular criticism. It's just the way it was and is.

Monk generally paints a picture of Alex being a major, major alcoholic in the CVH days. It kinda comes off like Monk to a degree excuses or writes off a lot of the things Alex did as a result of the alcohol consumption, which by all accounts was out of control in his case. With Dave, Monk says that although Roth did like to indulge now and then, it was rarely to excess in proportion to Alex or Eddie: Roth's drug of choice as the band got more and more successful was ego.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This issue comes up again with Monk on the VH Unchained Podcast. He says again that if Anthony had come to him he could have fixed it and again says Mike was mad to let this happen.

I hadn't previously realized the role Roth had in all of this, I had thought it happened a bit later and was purely a Van Halen brothers move.

I wonder if the (weak) argument would be that since Ed recorded and played the music before presenting it to Dave that Alex had an influence on it. There is another slight argument that Alex did deserve more because he did at least help with the publicity.

On the podcast Monk also states that he is a hoarder and still has crates full of all the original documents, contacts, notes etc and so is sure of the accuracy of his story. Talk of writing a definitive history of the band using the band themselves maybe overestimates how much they would remember at this point given the amount of booze and everything else they were on a lot of the time.

28. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I had also assumed it had happened later as well, like, in the early 1990s or something. I thought it definitely hadn't happened until after Roth left, because I was aware that the songwriting credits on the first 6 albums were attributed to all four band members. I honestly couldn't tell you offhand how the songs were credited after Roth left, mostly because I never bothered to look. I think the impression I was under was that when the Van Halen management changed in the early 1990s, that THAT was when Anthony's end started to get whittled down. And, as you said, this was the result of the Van Halen brothers. As opposed to the reality which was, assuming what Monk said was true, that Roth had an equal hand in making that happen.

I suppose a weak case could be made for Alex retaining his credits if the creative process was such that the instrumental end of it often found a genesis in Ed and Al practicing/jamming together, and the result of that was what was usually presented to Dave.

All of it recalls something Roth said maybe 20 years ago, something along the lines of Anthony being firmly under the Van Halen brothers thumb because Roth refused to allow himself to ever be put in that position. And as shitty as the Van Halen brothers treated Anthony from my viewpoint (doubtless the Van Halen brothers - and Roth - frankly thought Anthony was the weakest link and was lucky to be there at all...and perhaps to a degree a case can be made for THAT viewpoint, too), I also think Anthony in the end got what he should have expected, if not deserved, for allowing himself to be treated that way.

The fact that Anthony went back and did that 2004 tour when it was made abundantly clear to him neither of the Van Halens wanted him there...I mean, I know a buck is a buck, but I don't know if I could have done it. Making music, to me, should be something that fills a musician with positive emotions. What strikes me is how so many of these professional musicians eventually end up doing these gigs, even when they are very successful, that have all the romance of factory assembly work: punching a clock to churn out the same thing over and over again, often alongside people they can barely stand to be around.

Anthony's level of passivity toward all the demeaning treatment he got...either it's zen-like beyond belief, or just spinelessness at a Jello-like level of consistency.

I mean, were I Anthony and the Van Halens contacted me about a 40th anniversary tour, I'd say I'll play with you if you want, but I get 25%. Otherwise, just like before you called, we've got nothing left to talk about. Go back on the road with your kid.

But Anthony continues to remain fairly silent about all of what happened. I assume he must have signed a non-disclosure agreement, too. I guess Roth and Hagar never did, because neither of them had/have any problems telling the brothers to go fuck themselves.

30. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Full Bug (06-19-2017)

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Love this quote!

ultimateclassicrock.com/noel-monk-van-halen-book-interview/

What were your thoughts when they brought Sammy Hagar into the band?

I didn’t give a s—. Van Halen was over. They brought Cherone in — What did I think? Nothing. This is not Van Halen; this is Van Cherone. This is Van Hagar. But without Edward and David, and I gotta press this point, there is no Van Halen. You cannot take the two seminal people who created that band and take one of them away. And right now, this guy Hagar [Laughs] is trying so hard to be Van Halen, he’ll even split it with David. It’s unbelievable! He will give up anything to have his legacy that he’s “a real Van Halen.” Give me a f—in’ break.

32. 3 users say thank you to Full Bug for this KICKASS post:

Jetstream (06-20-2017),moose (06-19-2017),Terry (06-19-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave just responded to the book, and yes, Dave being Dave:

(can't embed)

"In anticipation of inevitable inquiries & questions posed to David Lee Roth in regard to the publication of this “book”..."

"Mr. Roth’s responses are as follows:
    Answer No. 1: Yes
    Answer No. 2: Probably
    Answer No. 3: My lawyer says I can't remember."

"Final response: What a long great trip it's been, stay frosty."

34. 4 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Full Bug (06-20-2017),katina (07-25-2017),mh5150 (06-19-2017),Terry (06-19-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

His first tweet(s) in 9 months.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jeez Twitter No!

37. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Make...Roth...Great...Again...

Bigly yuge!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Bug View Post
    Love this quote!

ultimateclassicrock.com/noel-monk-van-halen-book-interview/

What were your thoughts when they brought Sammy Hagar into the band?

I didn’t give a s—. Van Halen was over. They brought Cherone in — What did I think? Nothing. This is not Van Halen; this is Van Cherone. This is Van Hagar. But without Edward and David, and I gotta press this point, there is no Van Halen. You cannot take the two seminal people who created that band and take one of them away. And right now, this guy Hagar [Laughs] is trying so hard to be Van Halen, he’ll even split it with David. It’s unbelievable! He will give up anything to have his legacy that he’s “a real Van Halen.” Give me a f—in’ break.
    That's really the essence of Hagar's whole "let's get me and Dave both touring with Van Halen on the same stage" nonsense as of late.

It's Hagar, despite his public bluster, knowing deep down that the majority consensus is he is merely "the guy who tried to replace David Lee Roth"...and that the Van Halen [Hagar] was in sold less than half the records the original Van Halen did.

So a Roth/Hagar co-headlining tour would somehow give a degree of legitimacy to Hagar's notion that he was somehow as important to the band as Roth was. Or that Van Hagar's musical output was on the same level of CVH's. The truth of the matter is that by the time Roth left in 1985, Van Halen were already successful to the point where any number of then-name rock singers could have stepped in and produced commercial results similar to what the band did with Hagar.

I mean, at this point a co-headlining tour probably would be more financially viable than another Van Halen Mach 4 tour or a Van Hagar tour, but that has more to do with the age of the band and the sense of things winding down at this point than anything else: every time these guys tour these days, it is potentially the last time you'll have to see them. Admittedly, there probably are more than a few people out there who liked Van Hagar and would like to hear those songs played again. However, Sammy has had a longtime habit of overstating what the version of Van Halen he was in did in simple, factual commercial terms: if the truth about that stuff had been good enough for him from the beginning, he wouldn't have had to have lied about all that stuff from day one.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Roth would be absolutely crazy to do it unless he is hurting for money which I don't believe he is.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Roth would be absolutely crazy to do it unless he is hurting for money which I don't believe he is.
    Roth wasn't above pairing up with Hagar 15 years ago to ignite some controversy and hype and help revitalize interest in Roth as a solo act. Even with that, though, Roth was careful not to take the stage with Hagar. When it came RnRHoF time, once the Van Halens decided not to attend, Roth also in the end decided not to show. As to if the Van Halens requested Roth not to go, or if it was the result of Roth being told by the RnRHoF organizers that Roth couldn't perform the song he wanted to (Jump) with Velvet Revolver and being treated like supplicant at his own induction (can you imagine, btw, the absurdity of that from Roth's perspective? Roth is being dictated to by Velvet Revolver in terms of song selections for a proposed performance to highlight an honor that is being given to Van Halen?!?), in the end Roth was better served by not having attended when one considers how pathetic Velvet Revolver's performance was and how lame Hagar and Anthony came across being the only ones who showed up, subsequently having to perform an under rehearsed tune with Paul Schaefer's house band. Would Roth really wanted to have been associated with any of THAT?

I think ultimately it is as Roth has always said, in that he believes Sammy Hagar is at best an average talent. When the rest of Van Halen tapped Hagar to be their new lead singer, that was their problem, not Dave's. It was one thing for Roth to hit the road with Hagar in 2002 as a combined solo acts tour, but quite another to share a stage with Hagar fronting Van Halen. History tends to remember best what one does last. Van Halen can safely be said to have entered their sunset years: better to depart the arena with some sense of dignity and respect for what CVH accomplished intact than to make your Swan Song stacking up CVH tunes alongside Sam Halen swill. Some things are worth more than money, like self-respect.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Some things are worth more than money, like self-respect.
    Not sure any one involved with van halen can ever lay claim to thinking that

43. Thanked vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-22-2017)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What I really don't get at all is that anyone with a clear mind would expect a Hagar reunion with MA on bass or whohaveyou to be a success. We HAD that tour in 2004! It was a debacle overall.

I can't think of a promoter wanting to get in touch with that with a ten feet pole. That's why the three twin sisters sucked it up biiiiiig time and went with Dave.

45. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

You have to wonder if it was Hagar himself, or the embarrassing cheese ballads which made Eddie into a complete trainwreck on that 2004 tour. Van HALEN is timeless rock n roll. Van Hagar was corporate trendy synth pop crap, commercially well designed for the time it was released, but sounds as bad on the radio today as any Poison or Culture Club record does. And Eddie has to know that as well as we do. I honestly don't think he ever wants to play those songs again. And who could blame him. There's a reason the Stones don't play much from "Their Satanic Majesties Request" or that mid-80s period where they were close to killing each other. Probably embarrassed by it......

47. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    What I really don't get at all is that anyone with a clear mind would expect a Hagar reunion with MA on bass or whohaveyou to be a success. We HAD that tour in 2004! It was a debacle overall.

I can't think of a promoter wanting to get in touch with that with a ten feet pole. That's why the three twin sisters sucked it up biiiiiig time and went with Dave.

I disagree, somewhat....

No, I don't think any variation of DLR/SH/MA/WVH will be regularly selling out barns/ampitheaters nowadays.... I think the novelty has worn off.... They will still make money off that tour, but it won't be a rousing success.....

But where I disagree is the Van Hagar aspect of retouring.... Nowadays, there's a certain segment of the concert-going public that would most definitely go, even if it's just to sit back in the lawn and have a few beers..... I'm referring to the 40'ish men and women who want to hear those cheesy ballads that FORD referenced....

So again, not going a big seller in any variation, but this is most likely Van Hagar's nostalgia opportunity....

The more I think of it, I'm hoping DLR doesn't sign up....

49. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I disagree, somewhat....

No, I don't think any variation of DLR/SH/MA/WVH will be regularly selling out barns/ampitheaters nowadays.... I think the novelty has worn off.... They will still make money off that tour, but it won't be a rousing success.....

But where I disagree is the Van Hagar aspect of retouring.... Nowadays, there's a certain segment of the concert-going public that would most definitely go, even if it's just to sit back in the lawn and have a few beers..... I'm referring to the 40'ish men and women who want to hear those cheesy ballads that FORD referenced....

So again, not going a big seller in any variation, but this is most likely Van Hagar's nostalgia opportunity....

The more I think of it, I'm hoping DLR doesn't sign up....
    I was referring to a strict Van Hagar Linup. An "all-star"-Line up would be a huge success!

51. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I was referring to a strict Van Hagar Linup. An "all-star"-Line up would be a huge success!
    They would make a profit with a Van Hagar lineup, but nothing close to sellouts except in select locations.....

I honestly don't think the All-Star lineup would be that much more successful.... A bit more, that's it......

53. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They would make a profit with a Van Hagar lineup, but nothing close to sellouts except in select locations.....

I honestly don't think the All-Star lineup would be that much more successful.... A bit more, that's it......
    The all-star line up brings back the old Nescar Rothism...people would show up half for the race...the other half to see the crash! It would be huge...a huge circus.

55. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I'm enjoying the book. Feeling confident the majority of it is rooted in truth with mild embellishments here and there. Just finished reading about the "No Problems" tour of South America '83. Proclamations like, "the guys did not speak a word of Spanish" ring odd after knowing how Dave held his own quite well with all of his in between song banter we've heard on recordings. I'm sure more pressing issues will be debated by the band members, should they be called out on anything from the book in an interview.

57. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-14-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    One thing I certainly had no idea about was Monk's contention that initially Fair Warning was looked upon as unlikely to go platinum, so payola was employed to get the targeted/requisite radio stations to give it airplay.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think a straight-up Van Hagar lineup reunion tour would do okay, sales-wise.

The thing that is easy to forget is probably most of the middle-aged, concert-ticket buying audience aren't necessarily mega hardcore fans: I'd be willing to bet it's along the lines of what Va Beach VH Fan said, in that people want to go to a concert strictly for a good time, and for a certain aging segment of rock fans, Van Hagar represents...what? Journey-type, pop-rock music. And there's still a profitable market for that stuff.

I wouldn't dream of disagreeing that Van Hagar were far more timely than timeless, nor that Van Hagar would be able to fill (much less instantly sell out) 15,000 seat venues these days as a headline act without some difficulty. I would also tend to think promoters would recognize that the 2004 tour bombed in direct proportion to how bombed Eddie was. So while there may be more clauses in the contract this time around as opposed to 2004, I'd bet promoters would still be willing to take a cautious shot at booking a Van Hagar tour on cautiously optimistic terms. Eddie has been sober and demonstrated a consistent ability to play well for the last two Van Halen tours. Plus, for the casual rock fans, you have to imagine the mindset that people are realizing that every time Eddie Van Halen steps on a stage is potentially the last time, if only because Van Halen have more tours behind them than they do ahead of them.

Eddie is a living legend, and can still produce the goods. Even with a testicle barnacle like Hagar clinging onto Eddie's nutsack, I'd wager there are still plenty who think Eddie alone is still worth the price of admission.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I'm enjoying the book. Feeling confident the majority of it is rooted in truth with mild embellishments here and there. Just finished reading about the "No Problems" tour of South America '83. Proclamations like, "the guys did not speak a word of Spanish" ring odd after knowing how Dave held his own quite well with all of his in between song banter we've heard on recordings. I'm sure more pressing issues will be debated by the band members, should they be called out on anything from the book in an interview.
    Mmmmmmmmmm...I think Roth on the '83 tour demonstrated an ability to stammer through inbetween song patter utilizing what I'd deem as very basic, elementary Spanish.

Which isn't to downplay the fact that Roth was able to go down there in 1983 and speak to audiences in any type of Spanish at all: doubtless the audiences were pleased even when he semi-mangled the language strictly because Roth was making the attempt.

But, yeah, I won't necessarily take everything Monk says as gospel. I mean, you're talking about a guy who hasn't been in contact with the band for...what...30+ years? Time and memory play tricks on us all.

Still, it's a pretty good/interesting read. My expectations were fairly close to the ground for the book, so thus far I'm safe to say Monk has been hurtling the lowered bar with ease (if one wants to take that as a compliment). I mean, I don't feel like the book was a total rip-off job a la the Everybody Wants Some book. I got my money's worth.

61. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (06-22-2017)

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Alex and the band was justified in firing Noel?

His handling of the sponsorship situation was odd.

You know your band is dysfunctional and yet when you have the news, you don't call a meeting, but instead lob a phone call?

Even after the odd conversation, if for no other reason than to cover yourself, have a face to face meeting.

This couldn't have been the only time things were handled pretty amateurishly.

I was waitign for him to say how he managed to get a payday for the use of the exterminator logo for the tour...I know I could have. Kind of weak.

63. Thanked Romeo Delight for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-22-2017)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that Alex and the band was justified in firing Noel?

His handling of the sponsorship situation was odd.

You know your band is dysfunctional and yet when you have the news, you don't call a meeting, but instead lob a phone call?

Even after the odd conversation, if for no other reason than to cover yourself, have a face to face meeting.

This couldn't have been the only time things were handled pretty amateurishly.

I was waitign for him to say how he managed to get a payday for the use of the exterminator logo for the tour...I know I could have. Kind of weak.
    There were definitely times, such as this one, where he sounds as though his side of the story can not be contested. I, too, found it odd that he cemented a deal without an all around agreement with his client first. I also think he misinterpreted, then misrepresented Dave's "Marlboro/Levi's" remark. Regardless, he does show more accountability for situations regarding the band than Bette did in his book, which was virtually never.

65. 2 users say thank you to DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-23-2017),Terry (06-22-2017)

Thread Information