ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Vince Gill Checks Into The Hotel California

Not sure how this is going to work. Vince Gill is actually a great singer, in the country music sense, but he has a high voice which would be more suited to the Randy Meisner/Timothy Schmidt role, as opposed to singing Glenn Frey's parts.

What I'd really like to see - if they insist on keeping the band going - is the return of Don Felder on guitar... since Frey seemed to be the one who wanted him gone and now that's no longer an issue.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think Henley had an amount of animosity toward Felder that equaled Frey's. Henley just wasn't the unabashed asshole in his public comments toward Felder that Frey was.

I mean, I suppose for anyone who is still interested in the Eagles to the point where they actually care about lineup authenticity, the return of Felder might be meaningful. I think a lot of casual/greatest hits fans (basically, the bulk of any given concert-going audience for these creaky old rock acts still touring) honestly wouldn't care one way or the other if Felder is there or not: it won't be a deal-breaker in terms of them buying a ticket or not.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell, if they want to go down the country road with Vince Gill, they might as well bring Bernie Leadon back, since he seemed to be the original source of their country roots - comparing the early records he played on vs. the ones that followed when he left and Walsh & Felder came in.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I thought Frey's Son was replacing his Father in the band?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Deacon Frey will still be there, but maybe they realized that wasn't enough. You can do the sentimental sappy thing of having Junior fill his daddy's shoes, but if he's not really up to the challenge, in terms of musical ability, you probably need to have another card in play. So they bring in Vince Gill. Maybe his wife Amy Grant can join the band too?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    He'd be better off checking into the F A T clinic.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I was under the impression the kid has more than enough musical ability.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They haven't put out anything with him playing yet, that I know of. It's not like he put out an album sounding exactly like his old man, like Julian Lennon did back in 1982. George Harrison's son Dhani looked a lot like George when he participated in the tribute concert to his dad in 2003, but he mostly stayed in the background and played acoustic guitar (he was also seen in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance where Prince played that incredible solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". More recently, Dhani was inducting Jeff Lynne and ELO into the Hall of Fame, and now he looks more like John Oliver than he does George Harrison. If Dhani's made a record, I've never heard it. And I haven't heard an album from Julian since the 80s either. So maybe sons carrying on in their daddy's shoes isn't such a great idea after all. (even though Chaim Witz has already mentioned the possibility of turning the KISS franchise over to his kid one day)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I thought Frey's Son was replacing his Father in the band?
    I thought Henley said that the Eagles were done after Frey died.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    They haven't put out anything with him playing yet, that I know of. It's not like he put out an album sounding exactly like his old man, like Julian Lennon did back in 1982. George Harrison's son Dhani looked a lot like George when he participated in the tribute concert to his dad in 2003, but he mostly stayed in the background and played acoustic guitar (he was also seen in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performance where Prince played that incredible solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". More recently, Dhani was inducting Jeff Lynne and ELO into the Hall of Fame, and now he looks more like John Oliver than he does George Harrison. If Dhani's made a record, I've never heard it. And I haven't heard an album from Julian since the 80s either. So maybe sons carrying on in their daddy's shoes isn't such a great idea after all. (even though Chaim Witz has already mentioned the possibility of turning the KISS franchise over to his kid one day)
    Yeah, well, nepotism will only get you so far.

I mean, personally I think Sean Lennon's musical output overall is pretty dismal. Honestly, the type of amateurish twaddle that wouldn't even get a scintilla of the attention it HAS gotten (and even THAT hasn't been much) had his father not been John Lennon. I thought some of Julian's stuff was okay...but only just okay.

Really, one of the few "kid of a famous musician" that got me excited about something they were doing musically that I enjoyed on its own terms was Bob Dylan's kid, Jakob, and The Wallflower's second album. To be sure, Jakob had clearly been influenced by his father in terms of how he approached lyrics, but I thought that entire album just had great songs on them.

I mean, was I supposed to get excited about...say, Wilson Phillips? Excited beyond rubbing out one to Chynna?

I haven't really been enthralled by much of anything Jason Bonham has done/participated in/played on throughout his career that wasn't specifically Led Zeppelin Reunion oriented.

I have heard a lot of claims that Ziggy Marley's stuff is okay. I've never listened to any of it, but that does seem to be a widely-held consensus.

I will also say I have quite enjoyed what Zak Starkey brought to The Who.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I haven't really been enthralled by much of anything Jason Bonham has done/participated in/played on throughout his career that wasn't specifically Led Zeppelin Reunion oriented.
    Well, considering Jason's other gigs are a half assed tribute band calling itself "Foreigner" and Hagar's latest pathetic attempt at a "supergroup", Jason hasn't really put himself into a position to impress much, aside from his occasional gigs with his "uncles" Jimmy, John Paul, and Robert.

I think he's also still touring on occasion with his own Zep tribute band (as opposed to the group he had in the 80s which was a Zeppelin ripoff band. One of many during that era, but the only one with a blood relative of a band member)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I thought Henley said that the Eagles were done after Frey died.
    They should have been done in 1999....

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, considering Jason's other gigs are a half assed tribute band calling itself "Foreigner" and Hagar's latest pathetic attempt at a "supergroup", Jason hasn't really put himself into a position to impress much, aside from his occasional gigs with his "uncles" Jimmy, John Paul, and Robert.

I think he's also still touring on occasion with his own Zep tribute band (as opposed to the group he had in the 80s which was a Zeppelin ripoff band. One of many during that era, but the only one with a blood relative of a band member)
    I mean, I get that he loved his father, was taught drums by his father at an early age and by playing the Zep stuff I imagine that helps him feel the connection to his father. All of that is totally understandable.

The types of projects he has involved himself with, though, have the net effect of making him little more than "the son of John Bonham" rather than allowing him to really do much of anything decent in terms of his own individuality.

Contrast him with Zak Starkey: nobody's gonna say Zak went out there and basically copied his father's style and was content to let that be the limit of what he did with the instrument.

Thread Information