ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Ozzy Osbourne Speak of the Devil 1982 Complete Concert

Brad Gillis has to be one of the most underrated guitarists of his generation.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 06-02-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    "This video contains content from Eagle Rock. It is not available in your country."

I got that dvd a couple of years ago when Eagle Rock put it out. I had a video boot of that show prior to that.

Sadly, both the recent official release and the boots I have heard were all taken from the soundtrack of the original broadcast on MTV in 1982, which virtually sounds and looks (at times it's as if someone fell asleep in the editing room, because Ozzy's vocal levels remain at the same volume even when he has visibly moved the mic away from his mouth!) like Ozzy literally re-recorded and double tracked all the live vocals post-performance. I mean, it's a bit laughable, because while Ozzy is a great performer I've never heard him give a live vocal performance that was flawless and sounded just as good as the studio albums from start-to-finish. Not far as his solo touring went.

The plus side is being able to see and hear Brad Gillis just fuckin' blazing through those songs! I think Gillis tore that shit up!! Even more amazing considering he had to learn the whole set in a couple of weeks, hadn't played a lot of that stuff before and didn't have a tab book or a bunch of youtube instructional vids to help him out. I read an interview with him where he said he had to figure most of that stuff out after he got the gig via listening to live tapes provided to him...like, he was practicing the stuff while Torme was still performing with Ozzy
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Eagle Rock is slitting their own throats by censoring YouTube. About 80% of the great live Stones videos that used to be online now fall under the same censorship. I can get around it easily with the built in VPN on the Opera browser, but that's beside the point. If they want to sell more DVDs or BluRays or whatever the format is this week, then why not let people watch some clips to advertise what a great product it is? And to be fair, Eagle Rock HAS done a great job of releasing some of these old concerts, previously only available as grainy bootlega with crap audio, or in some cases, not available at all (like the Stones 78 show, which only had the first three songs aired live on TV the night of the show in Fort Worth, and all the previous boots were only those three songs)

As far as Gillis goes, I think he did an admirable job in Ozzy's band filling in under the circumstances. Never was a big Night Ranger fan, so I wouldn't have minded if Brad had stuck around, and they tried to make some original music together. (as long as it wasn't Night Ranger style cheese ballads... don't want to hear Ozzy singing "Sister Christian" )

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Brad Gillis is a bad motherfucker. I'd rather hear the Speak Of The Devil versions of those songs, than any other versions, simply because of Brad Gillis.

I believe he's making quite a comfortable living now doing guitar work for tv, commercials, shows, ESPN and even a lot of the video games.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2021 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Rudy, Tommy and Brad gelled really well together.... It would be kind of cool to have Ozzy tour with THAT band, just for shits and giggles!

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Vocals are so canned it's sad.....Ozzy didn't have to do that.

Thread Information