Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Trump Appointees Take Turns Praising Him in Bizarre Cabinet Meeting

Trump Appointees Take Turns Praising Him in Bizarre Cabinet Meeting
    Tina Nguyen
    vanityfair.com

Donald Trump’s disapproval rating may be at an all-time high, but inside the White House, the president could not be more popular. On Monday, Trump convened his first full Cabinet meeting since taking office, gathering the heads of every major government agency for a press gaggle around the elliptical mahogany table that occupies a prominent place in the West Wing. Traditionally, the media is present only at the beginning of such meetings, during which the president makes a brief statement and a few photos are snapped before a review of the administration’s progress continues behind closed doors. Trump tried something a little different.

“Never has there been a president, with few exceptions . . . who has passed more legislation, done more things,” he began, hailing his purported accomplishments, even though Congress has yet to pass any major legislative bills. “We’ve achieved tremendous success. I think we’ve been about as active as you can possibly be and at a just about record-setting pace.”

The public portion of the Cabinet meeting would, in more ordinary times, have ended at that point. Instead, the event remained open as each member of the Cabinet attempted to outdo the president’s praise for himself, thanking him profusely and occasionally genuflecting before the press as they described what a humbling, life-changing privilege it was to be a part of Trump’s efforts to Make America Great Again. It was, New York Times reporter Glenn Thrush tweeted, “the most exquisitely awkward public event I’ve ever seen.”

“Start with Mike,” Trump said, referring to Vice President Mike Pence, after instructing each Cabinet member to say a few words about the good work his administration is doing. Pence set the tone for the bizarre 11-minute spectacle that followed, heaping praise on the president while he sat quietly nearby, smiling. “It is the greatest privilege of my life to serve as the vice president to a president who is keeping his word to the American people,” he said.

Next up was Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who recently offered to resign after clashing with Trump over his decision to recuse himself from the Russia probe. “It’s an honor to be able to serve you,” he said, describing the support he said Trump has from law enforcement across the country. “They have been very frustrated [and] they are so thrilled.”

Alex Acosta, the secretary of the Labor Department, called it a “privilege” to be in the White House. “I’m deeply honored and I want to thank you for keeping your commitment to the American workers,” he added.

“My hat’s off to you,” Energy Secretary Rick Perry said, hailing Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement.

Reince Priebus, the long-suffering chief of staff whom Trump has reportedly been talking about firing for months, and who had been in the news that very morning for reportedly receiving an ultimatum to get the White House under control by July 4 or lose his job, called it a “blessing” to work for the president. “On behalf of the entire senior staff around you, Mr. President, we thank you for the opportunity and the blessing you’ve given us to serve your agenda and the American people, and we’re continuing to work very hard every day to accomplish those goals.”

Here are the other highlights:

Nikki Haley, U.N. ambassador: “It’s a new day at the United Nations. We now have a very strong voice.”

Mick Mulvaney, director of the Office of Management and Budget: “At your direction, we were able to also focus on the forgotten men and women who are paying taxes, so I appreciate your support on pulling that budget together.”

Tom Price, secretary of health and human services: “What an incredible honor it is to lead the Department of Health and Human Services at this pivotal time under your leadership. I can’t thank you enough for the privilege that you’ve given me, and the leadership you’ve shown.”

Elaine Chao, secretary of transportation: “Thank you for coming over to the Department of Transportation. Hundreds and hundreds of people were so thrilled to hang out, watching the whole ceremony. I want to thank you for getting this country moving again, and also working again.”

Robert Lighthizer, U.S. trade representative: “I apologize for being late for work. For about four months, I got bogged down in that swamp you’ve been trying to drain.”

Sonny Perdue, secretary of agriculture: “I just got back from Mississippi. They love you there.”

Steven Mnuchin, secretary of the treasury: “It’s been a great honor traveling with you around the country for the past year, and an even greater honor to be serving you on your Cabinet . . .”

It sounds like a scene out of a Marx Brothers comedy. But five months into the Trump presidency, such tin-pot theatrics have become commonplace. What is shocking is not so much the deep insecurity of Donald Trump, but the speed with which his aides and enablers have contorted themselves to flatter his fragile ego. Within the Cabinet Room on Monday, there was an unspoken understanding among all the president’s men (and four women) that the nation’s intemperate chief executive is fundamentally unwell, and in need of constant assurance. The world outside may be unforgiving of his failures, but in the safe space that Trump has created inside the West Wing, he remains the all-knowing, omnicompetent billionaire that he played on TV.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, the whole thing sounds a lot like a scene from the fundagelical "Left Behind" book/movie, where the Antichrist character literally murders two people with a gun in front of his entire cabinet, immediately spins a false narrative about how one of the victims shot the other and then turned the gun on himself, and then the Antichrist goes around the table, asking each person to describe what they just witnessed, and every last one of them repeated the false narrative, completely convinced that the false narrative was what they saw.....

But nobody fools Kirk Cameron, damn it! He knew the real truth.... maybe he and his banana wielding friend Ray can bring down the Cheetochrist??

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Now, for the non pro-Jew media perspective
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

The scary thing is that it's possible that Trump has mental issues and if so under the 25th amendment these are the only people who could get rid of him.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...early-dementia

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thread Information