X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grit
    Roadie
    • Oct 2011

Sammy Still Begging . . . .

At every chance Sammy Hagar can . . . . he tells every interviewer that he lusts for a Van Halen Reunion with Dave and him trading songs. Is it possible that such an event (which I hope never happens) could create a real battle between Dave Fans and Sammy Fans? I can see a Hagar fan booing Dave or vise versa and a huge fight happening. Of course Dave Fans would kick the shit out of Sammy fans but does anyone else think that might happen if they actually toured? . . . Curious.
  • silverfish
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2007

To paraphrase The Simpsons, Hagar is "rock music's answer to the question nobody asked."
    Originally posted by sadaist
    I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Grit
      At every chance Sammy Hagar can . . . . he tells every interviewer that he lusts for a Van Halen Reunion with Dave and him trading songs. Is it possible that such an event (which I hope never happens) could create a real battle between Dave Fans and Sammy Fans? I can see a Hagar fan booing Dave or vise versa and a huge fight happening. Of course Dave Fans would kick the shit out of Sammy fans but does anyone else think that might happen if they actually toured? . . . Curious.
      I think it all depends on what the exact breakdown of such an audience for that hypothetical show would be.

I mean, I could easily envision a scenario where 50% or better of the audience are casual fans of the band, really only know the hits/most played radio tunes and honestly have no real bone to pick with who is fronting the band. In point of fact, for those people, it might be a draw to see both Hagar and Roth fronting Van Halen at the same show.

For the remainder of the audience, well...you have to figure the average age of a diehard Van Halen fan - regardless of singer/era - attending a show these days is...what? 45 to 50 years old? In all probability predominately white, suburban, middle-aged. With a few more pounds around the middle than back in the 80s or 90s. I don't see much in the way of an actual physical rumble between fan bases taking place at said hypothetical shows. People are too busy filming the shows on their smartphones to actually make the effort to punch the person standing next to them in the face because they are singing along with Why Can't This Be Love?
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Bloomington
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Oct 2009

The most Sammy could ever hope for is Eddie throws him a bone like Mick Jones did to Lou Gramm on their 40th anniversary tour and let him sing a couple songs during the encore

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Bloomington
          The most Sammy could ever hope for is Eddie throws him a bone like Mick Jones did to Lou Gramm on their 40th anniversary tour and let him sing a couple songs during the encore
          Not even... Dave wouldn't tolerate that.

Beggars can't be choosers, anyway.
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hagar is just taking out a page from Dave's playbook to getting back into Ed's head... Just keep mentioning that a reunion is bound to happen enough times to any press that will listen... for enough years... who knows..?

It worked for Dave.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Hagar is just taking out a page from Dave's playbook to getting back into Ed's head... Just keep mentioning that a reunion is bound to happen enough times to any press that will listen... for enough years... who knows..?

It worked for Dave.
              I doubt it. Ed had his kid whispering that Classic Van Halen was so much better, because Ed is a savant easily confused by the scent of his own scat....

Dave is back because of Wolfgang and the fact that Ed seems deficient in taste and needs someone to be his editor. A role Dave once filled...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

That's a good point, Nick... you occassionally get one right.

The path to getting back into Ed's head must pass through Wolfgang's creative filter. But I think the repititious method of keeping the hair-brained idea floating in the public realm is the key to suckcess...

The only missing component right now is Sam and Mike need to be shamelessly touring on a predominently Van Hagar setlist filled with those timeless classics that didn't stand the test of time...
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

You guys still buy the whole Magical Mystery Earbud story?

Same story, same music, same outcome. Both completely make believe.
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    I doubt it. Ed had his kid whispering that Classic Van Halen was so much better, because Ed is a savant easily confused by the scent of his own scat....

Dave is back because of Wolfgang and the fact that Ed seems deficient in taste and needs someone to be his editor. A role Dave once filled...
                    It certainly seems that without Wolfgang joining the band in 2006, none of what has happened the last ten years - whatever that was worth - would have taken place.

1996 to 2006 is what happened when Ed was left to his own devices and 100% in control of the band.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      That's a good point, Nick... you occassionally get one right.
                      "Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while"...

The path to getting back into Ed's head must pass through Wolfgang's creative filter. But I think the repititious method of keeping the hair-brained idea floating in the public realm is the key to suckcess...

The only missing component right now is Sam and Mike need to be shamelessly touring on a predominently Van Hagar setlist filled with those timeless classics that didn't stand the test of time...
                      y o
                      On that note, of the bone, I suspect that Sammy will someday find his and probably will appear onstage with Van Halen. But I seriously doubt it will be "every other song" or some ridiculous shit that would destroy any concert by preventing any flow and impeding any the momentum that creates a memorable performance. I guess it would just be as awkward as fuck, like a jerked off version of American Idol, which is being redundant since it's all jerked off. In any case, no one wants to see that.

I do think that Sammy will get some form of acknowledgement that he was part of the legacy but in no way THE legacy of the band. Someone hit it on the head here, he'll get a couple of songs at some moment aka - the Mick Jones/Lou Gramm-Fucked-off Foreigner moment - and not much more...

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        "Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while"...

y o
                        On that note, of the bone, I suspect that Sammy will someday find his and probably will appear onstage with Van Halen. But I seriously doubt it will be "every other song" or some ridiculous shit that would destroy any concert by preventing any flow and impeding any the momentum that creates a memorable performance. I guess it would just be as awkward as fuck, like a jerked off version of American Idol, which is being redundant since it's all jerked off. In any case, no one wants to see that.

I do think that Sammy will get some form of acknowledgement that he was part of the legacy but in no way THE legacy of the band. Someone hit it on the head here, he'll get a couple of songs at some moment aka - the Mick Jones/Lou Gramm-Fucked-off Foreigner moment - and not much more...
                        I wouldn't be surprised if Sammy did a tour with Van Halen, either. I also tend to doubt it's going to be a co-lead singer "every other song" tour with Roth: I just don't see Dave agreeing to such a scenario. I don't even think Roth would want to do separate sets along the lines of the Sam and Dave 2002 tour. Not where Van Halen is concerned. While I'm not as certain that nobody would want to see that, I certainly wouldn't. It'd be too much of a freak show/publicity stunt type thing, and frankly the band doesn't need that angle to put asses in seats. I don't think even Van Hagar at this late date would need a novelty gimmick along those lines to sell tickets. And whatever has become of Roth's abilities as of late, I think the guy still has enough pride in what HE created with the band (and probably still has a low opinion of what the band did after he left) to not want to directly associate that with what transpired in Van Halen after Roth quit.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

They're gonna do something, just too many noteworthy things coming together around the same time....

First, clearly VH isn't a band that wants (or needs) to tour every single year.... I mean, look at bands like Cheap Trick, Skynyrd, KISS, and a few others.... They're touring the country EVERY year, and those bands are OLDER than VH.... Now obviously, VH probably gets a bigger cut per show, but it's clear that VH/DLR have no interest in touring other than the bare minimum to keep their bank accounts plentiful....

Second, the 40th anniversary of VH I, combined with three years since the last tour, will probably result in SOME kind of tour....

Third, I really don't see the VH brothers wanting to keep the band together past this upcoming tour, other than one-offs here and there... They're all in their 60's now, and financially secure.....

The only detail, as we all know, is how Hagar will be mixed into the set... And as I said before, I disagree on the Van Hagarita songs.... No, it won't result in sellout crowds at this stage... But there's a good percentage of the middle aged concert going crowd that just likes to sit in the lawn, drink overpriced beer, and have a good time with their buddies for a few hours....

Not that I WANT to see any of that, I just think it's inevitable....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

About the only time since 1999 when Cherone quit that I got a real sense Van Halen had some real ambition and were really making an effort was in 2012. They put a new album out, did a club gig and a couple promo videos to launch the record, the record and the tour were advertised on tv. While the US leg of the tour got cut short, eventually they did some gigs overseas in 2013...

By the time 2015 rolled around, they did a couple pre-tour tv appearances, but the tour itself - much like 2007/2008 -was just a standard oldies setlist.

While I suppose Van Halen still is a band in the technical sense of the term, I've really looked at what they've been doing with Roth over the last decade as largely a business arrangement. These guys get together every 3-4 years, do a US tour, churn out the oldies, then bugger off. Apparently, there largely hasn't been the formulation of a new friendship between Roth and Eddie as the result of the reformation. It certainly hasn't resulted in a creative resurgence. Hey, I'm not expecting an album and a tour every year from these guys anymore. Or even just a tour every year anymore. Frankly, for me other older bands like KISS, Cheap Trick and Lynyrd Skynyrd have toured themselves into the ground in terms of overkill: I have no desire to see these bands anymore because they've been playing so often for so long (with comparatively little new music) that what they're doing has no chance to be special these days.

There just doesn't seem to be much of a reason to me why Van Halen has even continued since Cherone left, other than the oldies circuit is clearly the biggest revenue stream/path of least resistance for them and...what else are they going to do? Obviously, Dave would prefer to play to respectable-sized crowds fronting Van Halen than go back to smaller theaters as a solo act. I mean, even if Eddie decided to release a proper solo album at this point, like something along the lines of what Satriani or Vai have done...THAT would feel like it was 20 (if not 30) years too late, regardless of content/"how good it is".

I dunno if I'm explaining it properly...there's just nothing new by way of creative ground being broken with the band anymore. So, if it's going to be flat-out nostalgia, fine. Do that. Don't half-ass it, though. Get Anthony back for a tour. Clean up your live audio/video archives and release them. Don't settle for having your kid play bass and putting your Franky logo on tennis shoes. Why not go big or go home? It's the half-assedness of the band for the last 17 years that is the most disappointing aspect of all of it to me. Half-assedness wasn't a feature of the group that turned me onto them in the first place.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Von Halen
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Personally, I think Dave should tell the band to go tour with Clichegar, and promptly release the John 5 album.

Comment

Working...