Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I think denying Hagar closure and legacy may be more important to Dave than releasing what is going to be a pretty niche album.

Comment

• Von Halen
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      I think denying Hagar closure and legacy may be more important to Dave than releasing what is going to be a pretty niche album.
      Would you mind posting the definition of "niche" for Zah?

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't think he's going to get an arena tour from it.

It's all relative, The Who played The Colloseum in Vegas last week and said how it was great to being playing such a small intimate venue and they could do some deep cuts.

It holds 4300...
        Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

I don't think he's going to get an arena tour from it.

It's all relative, The Who played The Colloseum in Vegas last week and said how it was great to being playing such a small intimate venue and they could do some deep cuts.

It holds 4300...
          I'd be a bit surprised, even at this late date, even hypothetically without Mike Anthony there, that Hagar fronting Van Halen wouldn't be able to fill venues with capacities around 10,000.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a good chuckle about it should Van Hagar tour and it turns out I'm wrong and the venues end up being half full. I think the 2004 debacle of the band playing to half empty venues had as much to do with the word having gotten out about the dreadful shape that Eddie was in as it did the choice of lead singer.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Terry
            I'd be a bit surprised, even at this late date, even hypothetically without Mike Anthony there, that Hagar fronting Van Halen wouldn't be able to fill venues with capacities around 10,000.

This is where Hagar will benefit from the name once again. They'll get their 10,000 based off of the name, plus the band still sounds good....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              This is where Hagar will benefit from the name once again. They'll get their 10,000 based off of the name, plus the band still sounds good....
              Yeah, well, fuck it. Let Hagar benefit from the name yet again: if 10,000 people are willing to pay money to see Van Halen with Hagar fronting them...why not?

It'd be one thing if the band were actually creating new music with Dave, but that isn't the case.

At this point, what difference does it make who sings for another Van Halen nostalgia tour? I suppose there are still fans who want to hear Roth fronting the band. Myself, not so much: Dave sounds pretty awful these days. Awful to the point where I can't imagine paying dollar one to see him front the group anymore. Or even see him do a solo gig...his live vocals are THAT fucking bad these days.

To be sure, Hagar's entire career got an upgrade in commercial terms when he joined Van Halen. Oddly enough, I didn't dislike what the guy was doing before he joined the group. I wasn't a Sammy Hagar Red Rocker Superfan, but I didn't hate the material. At the end of the day, in terms of prestige, Hagar's career high point was when he joined Van Halen. Funny, because fronting Van Halen was Roth's career high point, too.

Maybe those two guys SHOULD co-headline a tour with Van Halen.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm not saying I wouldn't have a good chuckle about it should Van Hagar tour and it turns out I'm wrong and the venues end up being half full. I think the 2004 debacle of the band playing to half empty venues had as much to do with the word having gotten out about the dreadful shape that Eddie was in as it did the choice of lead singer.
                Flipside now applies though. Widespread YouTube and social media would have killed the 2004 tour even more.

I think most people must do what I do and check out recent video of bands I haven't seen for a while before buying tickets.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  They'll get their 10,000 based off of the name, plus the band still sounds good....
                  So instead of standing on the shoulders and riding the coat tails of the band Roth built, this time he would be doing it on the back of the band Roth REBUILT.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

As much as I would love to see Sammy relegated to the kiddie table, like Foreigner did with Lou or GNR did with Adler, I can't see his ego allowing it. I actually can see Dave letting it happen, just because it would mean he won. Sam, on the other hand, truly thinks he is Dave's equal in terms of the VH history; he's fucking delusional, but I do think he really believes it.
                    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Flipside now applies though. Widespread YouTube and social media would have killed the 2004 tour even more.

I think most people must do what I do and check out recent video of bands I haven't seen for a while before buying tickets.
                      Oh, absolutely.

I mean, I checked out the rehearsal footage and early 2007 tour dates well in advance of them playing Tampa in 2008.

I did the same again for the early 2012 dates, to make sure Ed wasn't shitfaced like he was the previous tour.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

So instead of standing on the shoulders and riding the coat tails of the band Roth built, this time he would be doing it on the back of the band Roth REBUILT.
                        Why not? That strategy worked well enough for Hagar the first time around in the 1980s.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by damngoodtimes
                          As much as I would love to see Sammy relegated to the kiddie table, like Foreigner did with Lou or GNR did with Adler, I can't see his ego allowing it. I actually can see Dave letting it happen, just because it would mean he won. Sam, on the other hand, truly thinks he is Dave's equal in terms of the VH history; he's fucking delusional, but I do think he really believes it.
                          Hagar not only thinks he's Roth's equal, he thinks he's better. Probably too many years of spouting bullshit sales and tour attendance claims in interviews have made Hagar actually believe the lies he has told.

I mean, at this late date, who gives a shit who was better? It was all pretty lame and ridiculous thirty years ago, now it's just ancient and pathetic.

I don't think it will be a case of Dave "letting it happen" in terms of Hagar touring with Van Halen again, because Roth's not really in a position to dictate anything to the Van Halens anymore. It's not the CVH era, where Roth is on equal footing with the Van Halens in terms of how the band is run. To be sure, it's Roth's choice to make about a co-lead singer tour. Outside of that, the Van Halens are gonna do what they're gonna do.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

I think denying Spambot closure and legacy IS more important to EVERYBODY than releasing what is going to be a pretty niche album.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                              I think denying Spambot closure and legacy IS more important to EVERYBODY than releasing what is going to be a pretty niche album.
                              I mean, is Hagar doing one more tour with Van Halen really the final step that needs to be taken to ensure Hagar's tenure with the band is considered as effective/important as that of the CVH lineup? Is one last Van Hagar tour really going to change anybody's mind about the two lineups one way or the other at this point? Is it really the case that whoever fronts the band on their last tour - Roth or Hagar - somehow 'wins' this 3 decades-long running debate?

"oooh, Sammy toured with the band last, then the band folded, so clearly Sammy 'won'! Yay!!!"

Honestly, fuck it. Give a tubby old tequila salesman a chance to show us all what dreams are made of one last time. Who gives a shit? Let Hagar stand up onstage with his bloated face, extended gut, ridiculous goatee, shit-eating grin and that stupid 5150 vagina hand sign while the Van Halens churn out mid-80s lame synth pop.

However, I DO think Roth should not associate himself with such a tour. If Hagar wants to hit the road with Van Halen, let him do it under the sole draw of the Van Hagar material. Don't enable Hagar to reap any benefit of the CVH stuff via Roth co-headlining the tour. I don't even want to hear the Sam Halen lineup play ANY CVH material. Not Panama. Not Jump. Nothing.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

If Hagar wants to hit the road with Van Halen, let him do it under the sole draw of the Van Hagar material. Don't enable Hagar to reap any benefit of the CVH stuff via Roth co-headlining the tour. I don't even want to hear the Sam Halen lineup play ANY CVH material. Not Panama. Not Jump. Nothing.
                                No CVH, and I wonder if Ed would stipulate that there would be no solo Hagar material played.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...