" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Future of rock music

I dont listen to new shit at all anymore..havent heard anything that gets my ear..anybody know of any good, new solid rock bands?..these guys have posted here with some VH covers...pretty damn impressive.check out the Sultans of Swing cover also..damn good..and with a stage presence.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    Based solely on the WLL clip, if I saw these guys in a bar, I'd think that the lead singer has a good/solid (though not exceptional) voice, his guitar playing is also solid though non-exceptional and that the rest of the band was similarly competent. After I left the bar, I doubt if I'd even remember any of it come the next morning.

I haven't heard anything new in terms of new bands that has really turned me on in probably 2 decades. And, frankly, the more time that elapses, the less harder I've looked.

One thing I have noticed is that 30 years ago, say circa 1986 to 1993, when I used to go see local bands playing...it was usually a case of bands not having an impressive array of professional/expensive gear onstage from top-to-bottom. However, these bands were writing their own material, some of which was quite good. They were maximizing what they could do with their musical ability considering the limitations of their equipment, and a lot of times I'd walk away thinking "if only this band could afford some better gear, because they've got some really good, original tunes."

Over time, this has shifted. Now, I see bands who have all the gear - including the wardrobe, down to all the tattoos and piercings - even their lighting rigs look professional. They've got all the amps...clearly an expensive PA system for a club/semi-pro band. They've got everything a band would need in terms of the accessories. They've got technical ability. They just don't have the songs. Nothing I've heard that has made me want to check them out beyond the immediate experience of having been there when they happened to be playing.

Sort of along the lines of those 10 billion youtube videos of somebody playing Eruption note-for-note perfect: come back and post something original that is going to knock me on my ass the way Eruption did nearly 40 years ago when I first heard it. Sort of a suitable analogy for the whole thing: I'm not hearing bands that are making me think they're going to go on to become as enduring as Led Zeppelin, Van Halen or whoever in terms of their own material. I'm seeing and hearing new bands who are approaching playing rock music as a job, and they're dressing the part and purchasing the right machinery for the job, and all of it has all of the allure of watching a factory worker make widgets all day long in terms of the creativity and passion they're putting into it.

I'm sure there must be some new rock bands out there who AREN'T approaching the music form this way: where the fuck ARE they? Because, honestly, I'd really enjoy hearing them. I'd really enjoy hearing a new rock band putting out something original that turns me on. Because NONE of them are gonna blow me away with a rehash of something that has already been done before in terms of cover tunes.
    Last edited by Terry; 09-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Fairwrning (09-04-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe these kids will continue to play real music..

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Based solely on the WLL clip, if I saw these guys in a bar, I'd think that the lead singer has a good/solid (though not exceptional) voice, his guitar playing is also solid though non-exceptional and that the rest of the band was similarly competent. After I left the bar, I doubt if I'd even remember any of it come the next morning.

I haven't heard anything new in terms of new bands that has really turned me on in probably 2 decades. And, frankly, the more time that elapses, the less harder I've looked.

One thing I have noticed is that 30 years ago, say circa 1986 to 1993, when I used to go see local bands playing...it was usually a case of bands not having an impressive array of professional/expensive gear onstage from top-to-bottom. However, these bands were writing their own material, some of which was quite good. They were maximizing what they could do with their musical ability considering the limitations of their equipment, and a lot of times I'd walk away thinking "if only this band could afford some better gear, because they've got some really good, original tunes."

Over time, this has shifted. Now, I see bands who have all the gear - including the wardrobe, down to all the tattoos and piercings - even their lighting rigs look professional. They've got all the amps...clearly an expensive PA system for a club/semi-pro band. They've got everything a band would need in terms of the accessories. They've got technical ability. They just don't have the songs. Nothing I've heard that has made me want to check them out beyond the immediate experience of having been there when they happened to be playing.

Sort of along the lines of those 10 billion youtube videos of somebody playing Eruption note-for-note perfect: come back and post something original that is going to knock me on my ass the way Eruption did nearly 40 years ago when I first heard it. Sort of a suitable analogy for the whole thing: I'm not hearing bands that are making me think they're going to go on to become as enduring as Led Zeppelin, Van Halen or whoever in terms of their own material. I'm seeing and hearing new bands who are approaching playing rock music as a job, and they're dressing the part and purchasing the right machinery for the job, and all of it has all of the allure of watching a factory worker make widgets all day long in terms of the creativity and passion they're putting into it.

I'm sure there must be some new rock bands out there who AREN'T approaching the music form this way: where the fuck ARE they? Because, honestly, I'd really enjoy hearing them. I'd really enjoy hearing a new rock band putting out something original that turns me on. Because NONE of them are gonna blow me away with a rehash of something that has already been done before in terms of cover tunes.
    What's a widget ?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    I dont listen to new shit at all anymore..havent heard anything that gets my ear..anybody know of any good, new solid rock bands?..these guys have posted here with some VH covers...pretty damn impressive.check out the Sultans of Swing cover also..damn good..and with a stage presence.
    I like/love Black Stone Cherry. Their music doesn't sound overly contrived. Black Star Riders has 3 really good albums. Basically the new Thin Lizzy. Scott Gorham is in the band with a Phil sound alike singer. But it's decent stuff. After that it gets thin for me...Gary Clark is a decent blues guy........hmmmm.....I'm thinking ?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's about it for me. I guess Slash has put out a few strong albums on his own with Myles singing. World On Fire is full of great guitar playing. As was the first full album with Myles.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Other than that for me it's almost over........like Van Halen is.....

Thread Information