Today @ 11:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Make it so! Captain Jean-Luc Picard returns

Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard
    Andy Welch
    theguardian.com

Patrick Stewart is to reprise his role as Jean-Luc Picard in a new series of Star Trek.

The character, who featured in Star Trek: The Next Generation and a handful of films, will return in the new CBS All Access series, which will reveal the next chapter of Picard’s life.

Announcing the news himself during a surprise appearance at the annual Star Trek convention in Las Vegas , Stewart said: “I will always be very proud to have been a part of the Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course. It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.

“During these past years, it has been humbling to hear stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership. I feel I’m ready to return to what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavour to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.”

Stewart played Picard in 178 episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which ran for seven series between 1987 and 1994. The character, widely held alongside William Shatner’s Captain James T Kirk as one of the franchise’s two best, also appeared in four feature films: Star Trek Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis.

Alex Kurtzman, showrunner on 2017’s well-received Star Trek: Discovery, will be an executive producer on the show. He said: “With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honour generations both new and old.”

CBS has yet to release any further information about the new series, including title or release date. Star Trek: Discovery, which stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp will return in January.

Since playing Picard for the final time, Stewart is best known for starring as Professor Charles Xavier in the X-Men franchise.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Stuart is like 80 now. Fucker can barely speak.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe he & Shatner could do a show together and call it "Grumpy Old Captains"??

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

He's one of the good guys, I hope the new show isn't quite as fucking earnest as TNG was though.

This outtake from Extras never fails to crack me up - I have a theory that the people that made Blunt Talk saw this and that's why they gave him a comedy show. I liked Blunt Talk but I don't think many people saw it. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4197508...nm_flmg_act_10

Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-05-2018 at 05:33 PM.

5. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (08-05-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So the "Short Trek" mini-episodes are starting to surface. If I remember correctly, there was going to be 4 of them in total. First two are already out there.

"Runaway" was the first one released. It features Tilly (the redhead chick) and some bratty teenage alien girl from the planet that produced dilithium crystals. I'm sure this character will probably be seen in a proper series episode somewhere down the line.

"Calypso" was the second. This featured a new character... some dude named "Craft" who is all alone on his ship with only a computer to talk to. So of course he develops "feelings" for the computer. Apart from taking place in space, it doesn't seem to have any connection with anyone or anything in Star Trek that we know of (yet). Not a bad little story, but it looked more like a "Black Mirror" episode to me.

Apparently the other two mini episodes will be out in December and then the official season in early 2019.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    So the "Short Trek" mini-episodes are starting to surface. If I remember correctly, there was going to be 4 of them in total. First two are already out there.

"Runaway" was the first one released. It features Tilly (the redhead chick) and some bratty teenage alien girl from the planet that produced dilithium crystals. I'm sure this character will probably be seen in a proper series episode somewhere down the line.

"Calypso" was the second. This featured a new character... some dude named "Craft" who is all alone on his ship with only a computer to talk to. So of course he develops "feelings" for the computer. Apart from taking place in space, it doesn't seem to have any connection with anyone or anything in Star Trek that we know of (yet). Not a bad little story, but it looked more like a "Black Mirror" episode to me.
    If they're like the Walking Dead shorts, they may explain some things that happen in later episodes. I.E. the "tricycle" Rick shot in the first season was a women who sacrificed herself to the walkers to save her children so they could get to a rescue chopper...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Actually, the bratty teenage alien girl returned in this week's Discovery to help with the whole "time crystal" vs out of control artificial intelligence dillemma. And Saru's home planet (the subject of one of the other shorts) already figured into another episode this season. Don't think this "Craft" guy has shown up again, but maybe he's related to somebody else on the ship?

Still haven't seen a single episode of the Walking Dead yet. Currently trying to knock out all the old seasons of "Game of Thrones", so "Walking Dead" back catalog might be next on the list after that.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Actually, the bratty teenage alien girl returned in this week's Discovery to help with the whole "time crystal" vs out of control artificial intelligence dillemma. And Saru's home planet (the subject of one of the other shorts) already figured into another episode this season. Don't think this "Craft" guy has shown up again, but maybe he's related to somebody else on the ship?

Still haven't seen a single episode of the Walking Dead yet. Currently trying to knock out all the old seasons of "Game of Thrones", so "Walking Dead" back catalog might be next on the list after that.
    I have to say I really like the new season. But the "bratty" chic shit is one of my peeves. They're trying real hard with the "girlpower/science" stuff and I'm generally fine with that until I'm being hit over the head with it every episode...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Season Three Premieres 10/15/20

JUMP INTO THE FUTURE WHEN SEASON THREE OF “STAR TREK: DISCOVERY” PREMIERES THURSDAY, OCT. 15 ON CBS ALL ACCESS

July 27, 2020 – CBS All Access, ViacomCBS’ subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, today announced that the third season of its hit original series STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will premiere on Thursday, Oct. 15. New episodes of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY’s 13-episode third season will be available on demand weekly on Thursdays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the United States.

After following Commander Burnham into the wormhole in the second season finale, season three of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY finds the U.S.S. Discovery crew landing into an unknown future far from the home they once knew. Now living in a time filled with uncertainty, the U.S.S. Discovery crew, along with the help of some new friends, must work together to restore hope to the Federation.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY season three cast members include Sonequa Martin-Green (Commander Michael Burnham), Doug Jones (Commander Saru), Anthony Rapp (Lt. Commander Paul Stamets), Mary Wiseman (Ensign Sylvia Tilly), Wilson Cruz (Dr. Hugh Culber), David Ajala (Cleveland “Book” Booker) and Michelle Yeoh (Philippa Georgiou).

Seasons one and two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY are available to stream now on CBS All Access, and the series is distributed concurrently by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel and OTT service Crave. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

In addition to STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, the “Star Trek” franchise on CBS All Access currently includes hit original series STAR TREK: PICARD; upcoming new animated comedy series STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS, which premieres on Thursday, August 6; the recently announced U.S.S. Enterprise set series STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS, featuring Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck; and the development of a Section 31-based series with Michelle Yeoh. A CG-animated series aimed at younger audiences is also in the works for Nickelodeon, titled STAR TREK: PRODIGY.

Thread Information