Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Star Trek Discovery

Anyone else watching this?

I'm not a Trekkie but have dipped my toes in it over the years and just caught up with this one, it's pretty good I think although not faultless.

It's a pity Hitch1969 isn't around to see his beloved Trek becoming so female centric I would liked to have seen his reaction.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Am not a Trekkie but I have enjoyed the 3 I watched , I like Brian fuller stuff so that was the initial draw.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I only heard about it after reading Jason Isaacs saying "those people who hate on the show because we have a person of color and woman as the lead, they can go fuck themselves."

I've always liked Jason Isaacs...
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 10-10-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Isaacs is great as the "fucked up" Starfleet Captain...

Overall pretty good, but some of the tech and the war are a bit confusing in the Star Trek cannon/timeline...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They also seem to be taking the same approach to distance and travel times as Game of Thrones does these days.

How did all those Klingons get there so fast?

Also who and how did someone get the telescope to her?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Return of the Jedi was a bit far fetched

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well it's a plot point.

MINOR SPOILER COMING---------------------

The main plot idea is to develop a super slug guided ship that can take you instantly anywhere so Jeremy can beat the Klingons.

If the previous week the Klingons have set off a beacon that allows all 24 of their tribes from all over the galaxy to turn up at the same time an hour? or so later without having super slug guided ships then it kind of fucks things up in the story a bit surely?

Also there is a major plot about albino Klingon salvaging the ship 6 months later to get the valuable dilithium crystal thing then it seems a bit fucking odd that we have to assume that the Federation have already been there to collect a fucking telescope but left the crystal.

Being scifi is not an excuse for shitty plotting.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow I watched that episode and my only minor concern is why Klingons don’t look like they will in ten years in the oringnal Star Trek. But hey it’s fiction and sometimes I think they just make this shit up.

Maybe they could do a rogue one movie just to fix the plot holes

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Plus they don’t have the super slug drive in the other series’s so dun dun dur .... it doesn’t end well

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Return of the Jedi was a bit far fetched
    Post of the day..

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Return of the Jedi was a children's movie so you have to cut it a bit more slack.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Return of the Jedi was a children's movie so you have to cut it a bit more slack.
    LOL I just watched the Ewok uprising part the other day as it was on TV. I was like saying aloud like WTF?! I mean I get the Ewoks are primitives, but for fuck sake can't have Spielberg given them a hidden cache of rocket launchers and blaster small arms like they were Viet Cong or Mujaheddin or something? so beating a force of Storm Troopers armed with Imperial Walkers and laser weaponry using log booby-traps and stone-head arrows doesn't look so fucking ridiculous...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So you are saying if the teddy bears had guns that could have made it better?

I think the key problem here was having teddy bears.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So you are saying if the teddy bears had guns that could have made it better?
    No. Just not so fucking ridiculously retarded...

I think the key problem here was having teddy bears.
    Well that's George Lucas and his propensity to try to dumb down the Star Wars franchise to a seven year olds' level so he can sell more fucking toys. He got away with it in the 80's because Empire was dark and critically praised, and people would overlook the Ewoks with the final battle between Luke and the Emperor for the soul of Darth to play out. Then he had to go back to his instincts of Sharking that led us to the shit-storm known as The Phantom Menace. The Ewoks were just a prelude to Jar Jar Binks and masturbatory CGI that was Menace...

The Ewoks are sort of troubling on many levels aside from the cute little fucking ankle-biter teddy bears thing. It's a bit of a colonial-racist element with the "noble-savage" myth playing out that is a bit nauseating...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.

15. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (10-11-2017)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

The Last Jedi has these little bird things in it, and the first thing I thought was "that is this year's Furby."

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    but for fuck sake can't have Spielberg given them a hidden cache of rocket launchers and blaster small arms like they were Viet Cong or Mujaheddin or something?
    If Spielberg had given them rocket launchers in the original, he would have replaced them with walkie-talkies in the remastered special editions...

17. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (10-11-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No. Just not so fucking ridiculously retarded...

Well that's George Lucas and his propensity to try to dumb down the Star Wars franchise to a seven year olds' level so he can sell more fucking toys. He got away with it in the 80's because Empire was dark and critically praised, and people would overlook the Ewoks with the final battle between Luke and the Emperor for the soul of Darth to play out. Then he had to go back to his instincts of Sharking that led us to the shit-storm known as The Phantom Menace. The Ewoks were just a prelude to Jar Jar Binks and masturbatory CGI that was Menace...
    I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To give context to my comment .... I crack the same gag and then explain it every couple of months lol
    I work with a guy who comes out with classic crazy comments he doesn’t mean to say .

Whilst discussing star wars he said he never got the whole thing and that while empire was ok Jedi was too far fetched . We were like wtf it’s all far fetched.

I laugh when I think about it. I think I aim it at sesh on a irregular basis and chuckle.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Wow I watched that episode and my only minor concern is why Klingons don’t look like they will in ten years in the oringnal Star Trek.
    Criminal from the original show Harry Mudd appears in the next episode - I wonder if he looks the same...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I never really quite got the anger at the prequels thing, probably because I never actually sat through a whole one.
    I guess that he came up with shit movies, that did get a bit better by the end. I mean, it was like Boston's Third Stage album, pretentious guys taking forever to churn out something that really wasn't all that great...

Not to be a dick but I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, it was a kid movie. When the prequels came out I never went to see them because I wasn't a kid any more. It's the same way I feel about Dr Who and Superhero movies.

I realize I'm in the minority of our generation that feels that way and it may sound a bit dickish but on the whole that's the way I look at it. Maybe it would be different if I had a son to take to them.

I did go to the two latest Star Wars movies and thought they were ok and the same with a couple of Nolan Batmans but apart from that I avoid it which means skipping about 50% of Hollywood blockbusters these days. I'm not sure I will bother with the new Star Wars. If it involves anything to do with blowing up a 'Death Star' type thing then I will since that would take it to being the same plot as 4 out the 5 Star Wars movies I've seen which is just fucking ridiculous.
    Oh yeah, I know Star Wars can't always be Blade Runner. But what made them early ones (the first two) great were the conflicts and the darker aspects...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I seem to remember people not liking Kate Mulgrew as a starship captain and Star Trek lead.

One of the sites ran an article about the Klingon forehead thing but I can't find it now. Maybe it was Gizmodo.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh yeah... these new Klingons??

What the FUCK??

This series supposedly takes place BEFORE the original Star Trek. Yet the Klingons of the 1960s series were basically humans with funny haircuts and beards (see the Trouble with Tribbles episode) and by the time of the 80s movies & Lt Warf joining Picard's crew, they had "evolved" to having the lobster foreheads.

So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    At the risk of committing Trekkie "blasphemy" here, I'm going to say that right now I'm liking "The Orville" more than I am this latest "official" Star Trek reboot.

I'll stick with Discovery for a while and hope it gets better. Who would have thought the central character in a Star Trek series would be a mutineer who lost her rank and is basically a convicted felon? (and also happens to be Spock's adopted sister... whom Spock never mentioned at any time... just like he never mentioned the brother who turned up in "Star Trek V: The Search for God" or whatever it was called)
    Or on a more minor note to the Star Trek cannon, an instant warp drive-hopping system that doesn't exist in any prior timeline...

But overall I like it and think Isaacs makes up for a lot of weaknesses in the Series as Capt. Lorca...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    So where the fuck did these reptilian looking bastards come from? And why were there no goddamn subtitles on the first three episodes, so I could know what these alien fucks were talking about??
    Apparently it was all explained in Enterprise?

I'm not bothered enough to go there...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I could never get past the cheese ballad theme song long enough to watch a full episode of "Enterprise".

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Me neither, I believe it's reckoned to be the worst of all of the series.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It was fraught with bad acting and unlikable characters and stupid premises (i.e. riffing off the Deep Space Nine Continuum War thing) that really didn't need to exist to make a decent show showing the early, fetal Federation, IIRC...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 10-16-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess the instant hop thing is going to be scrapped because you have to kill a sentient being every couple of hops to make it work and so will be seen as too naughty for the Federation to use.
    Nope. Now happy gay Broadway actors can be used apparently...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But whether scrapped or not, it does seem rather out of place and weird since there is no mention of it in the original series being prequeled. I do recall something about Starfleet not being allowed to use cloaking technology because of a severe treaty over-site or something, but that doesn't explain the hop thing, I think it was on The Next Generation but it made no sense...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nope. Now happy gay Broadway actors can be used apparently...
    Happy gay actors have always been part of Star Trek....

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And he does Broadway now, too!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

But whether scrapped or not, it does seem rather out of place and weird since there is no mention of it in the original series being prequeled. I do recall something about Starfleet not being allowed to use cloaking technology because of a severe treaty over-site or something, but that doesn't explain the hop thing, I think it was on The Next Generation but it made no sense...
    What was that deal with the reflection in the mirror near the end though?

It's spawned theories among the Trekkies
    eg.
    http://screenrant.com/star-trek-disc...se-reflection/

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah people at work were talking about the mirror universe ?!?!??! I did not have a clue what they were talking about.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's being renewed for a second season...

38. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

vandeleur (10-23-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What was that deal with the reflection in the mirror near the end though?

It's spawned theories among the Trekkies
    eg.
    http://screenrant.com/star-trek-disc...se-reflection/
    It wasn't necessary a mirror image thing. Remember Stamets injected himself with the Ripper DNA, and since Ripper is a huge overgrown bacteria, which reproduces by splitting in two and cloning itself, maybe the DNA caused Stamets to clone himself.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think this new beardy guy Tyler is a Klingon spy.

Their escape last week was too easy, how did he survive so long 7 months as a prisoner and then the mention of the background check in episode 6 to put us at ease/hint.

In other news watch out for Michael's completely ridiculous running action. Who the fuck runs like that?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looking forward to seeing more of Mudd....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

According to IMDB he is in a few episodes although I'm not sure how reliable it is and probably best not to look at the cast list appearances on there as it could be spoilery.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Talking of which look away now for some fan theory.

I never realized that the captain of the ship that they escaped from last week was the same Klingon L'Rell who was hanging about with Voq the albino Klingon who lost his ship and so on in the week before.

i.e. these 2.

There is so much prosthesis on these new Klingons they all look the same to me.

So people are putting the Klingon spy theory together with Ash screwing her for months plus the fact on the ship later he is a messy eater for an Ash Tyler = Voq theory.

This is getting more convincing when you look up the actor playing Voq and he doesn't seem to exist outside the show.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm9333617/

If this is the case then I wish TV shows would be a little bit more thorough with their plot twists same thing happened with Westworld with the internet guessing the big reveals weeks ahead.

Thread Information