Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries

40 Year Debut Anniversary

We're quickly approaching 90 days out from the 40th Anniversary of Van Halen's iconic debut album and the world would soon add Diamond David Lee Roth as a household name in the global conscientiousness...

I wasted about 30 minutes searching the interwebs... as typical with these jackasses... there were no signs of intelligent life. Not even a weed sprouting in the rock-n-roll garden despite an abundance of fertilizer!!

You'd figure with this significant date approaching it's got to be worth recognizing in a loud manner... Why do I feel like the only applicable sentiment would be a classic Survivor™ quote from Jeff Probst... Head on back to camp, I got nothin for ya...

Thoughts..?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

I’ve never heard of Jeff Probst, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least, if this anniversary comes and goes without a word from these idiots.

I’d love to see them continue their streak of being the dumbest, most dysfunctional fucking rock band on the planet.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    We're quickly approaching 90 days out from the 40th Anniversary of Van Halen's iconic debut album and the world would soon add Diamond David Lee Roth as a household name in the global conscientiousness...

I wasted about 30 minutes searching the interwebs... as typical with these jackasses... there were no signs of intelligent life. Not even a weed sprouting in the rock-n-roll garden despite an abundance of fertilizer!!

You'd figure with this significant date approaching it's got to be worth recognizing in a loud manner... Why do I feel like the only applicable sentiment would be a classic Survivor™ quote from Jeff Probst... Head on back to camp, I got nothin for ya...

Thoughts..?
    Jeff Probst is an ass clown whose name doesn't even deserve to be muttered in the same breath as that of Van Halen circa 1974-1984.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Beyond that, the type of recognition for that anniversary that would mean anything to me would be in the form of putting out previously unofficially released, newly restored CVH audio and video.

It's of no consequence to me if the band members have any present comments on the anniversary of the release of the first album four decades ago, as I have no real interest in hearing from Van Halen in an interview context. I've read plenty of interviews already.

I could sort of understand the rationale the Van Halens had of not looking backward or not emphasizing the past twenty years ago, in terms of them wanting to move the music forward. For the last 14 years, though, the band have been undertaking what were by and large nostalgia tours, with a minimum of semi-obligatory new material produced and performed.

My own feeling of that is, if you're gonna be a nostalgia act, don't half-ass it. If you're going to reform, don't go 3/4s of the way there. If you're going to embrace the past, do so fully. With Van Halen, they've sadly been content to half ass it and get at best 3/4s of the way to an acceptable result. That mentality, mindset and approach aren't components that turned me onto the band all those years ago, but are a seemingly irrevocable feature of the band such as it has existed for the last 14 years.

It's not a thrilling turn of events, but it's where they are now.

I'll always raise a glass to what they once were. It's not even worth a tip of the hat or a nod in terms of what they are today, though, which is contentedly stuck in Mundaneville.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Jeff Probst is an ass clown whose name doesn't even deserve to be muttered in the same breath as that of Van Halen circa 1974-1984.
    Well yeah... just a game show host. He ain't no Bob Barker or Monty Hall...

I figure this 40th anniversary thing is a worthy thing to celebrate. Few rock bands left alive to celebrate that many years... Not like they got something better to do...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Well yeah... just a game show host. He ain't no Bob Barker or Monty Hall...

I figure this 40th anniversary thing is a worthy thing to celebrate. Few rock bands left alive to celebrate that many years... Not like they got something better to do...
    The CVH lineup first got together in...what 1974? 1975?

Thereabouts.

I think their first ten years together, 1974 to 1984, certainly were something worth celebrating. And the cool thing about that is I don't have to wait until 2018 to do it: I still listen to the WB records, and old live boots from the club days, and the Simmons demos. It all still resonates with me like a motherfucker.

I have little to no use for what the band did from 1985 to 1995. Thought the 2 new Roth tracks in 1996 showed promise.

The last twenty years of the band have barely been worth remembering. Some decent to good work on ADKOT. A lot of uneven live work since Roth rejoined.

When CVH were active, for me the band was right up there with The Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc.

The band have been limping along for the last twenty years, more out of inertia and a lack of creative energy than anything else.

At least Van Halen III and the tour was an attempt to move forward. Post-Cherone, the band has been good for little other than retreads. Roth was great on the 2007/2008 dates. Ed has performed well for the last two tours. ADKOT was a good effort with mixed results. But even ADKOT was released nearly 6 years ago now.

I'll continue to celebrate the first ten years of the band, and basically discard the last thirty years.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Hold on, you mean the band doesn't interact with their fans?

I mean, there are some straws that one could grasp at for some signs of life - DLR's new agents, EVH's new online store, and hey, Mikey's miniature bass is available now!

Like I said, straws....

In addition to that, one would "think" that if VH were going out on some 40th anniversary tour in 2018, some arena bookings would start to leak out... But as I mentioned on FB, back before the ADKOT tour, which started in February, we didn't hear a peep about tour dates until they released the dates in January....

It's also possible that a potential tour wouldn't be as long as fans would expect... Maybe it would only be 3-4 months, starting in June/July.... If that were the case, then it's more plausible why arena dates haven't leaked just yet.....

Who the fuck knows, I'm just throwing out possibilities....

8. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-05-2017),ZahZoo (11-10-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It wouldn't surprise me if the band toured next year.

They've basically been touring once every 3 to 4 years since 2007, and 2018 will be 3 years since the last tour.

It probably would, as you say, be only 4 or so months. The 2007/2008 tour was lengthy, but in a few stages with a month or so break in between if I remember correctly. The 2012 tour originally was pretty ambitious in terms of length, but the extensive US legs got shelved after Ed had his health problems and Dave had his troubles with...the 'blowers'...then they did some stuff abroad in 2013.

2015 was...what, 3 to 4 months, I think?

Which is really all the band needs, anyway. A Van Halen 'World Tour' basically consists just of the US, and how many different American venues does the band need to play these days to constitute a tour? 40? 50? And they don't need to do 5 nights a week anymore. Four months, 16 weeks, 3 gigs per week average, there's your 40 to 50 shows. Van Halen can tour whatever time of the year and put asses in seats: they don't have to just do summer months unless they're doing amphitheater-type venues.

OR...

The band can NOT tour in 2018, Ed and Al can continue to record jamming/'noodling' sessions at 5150 and never release them, Dave can wander around his farmland with his trusty sheepdogs at his side, and Van Halen could do fuck-all next year...with no explanations given.

I'll give 2:1 odds on the latter.

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (11-05-2017)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Really would like a summer tour from them, if they're going to tour at all. I need to see Van Halen at The Gorge, goddamn it. And that ain't happening in the winter.

12. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Romeo Delight (11-05-2017),Terry (11-05-2017)

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe I never reached the heights of success that these guys did, but at least I didn't spend the last 30 years fighting about the first ten...What a waste....

14. 2 users say thank you to Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-05-2017),ZahZoo (11-10-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don’t know why the fuck anybody would even want them to tour in 2018. Are you really that desperate to hear Roth butcher the songs even more than he already has?

16. 2 users say thank you to Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Fairwrning (11-06-2017),Terry (11-05-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I don’t know why the fuck anybody would even want them to tour in 2018. Are you really that desperate to hear Roth butcher the songs even more than he already has?
    Without a doubt.

In 2012, I thought maybe the night I saw them Roth was having an off-night. Closer examination from other nights of that tour via youtube demonstrated Roth was having a fairly typical night when I saw them in 2012.

Nothing I have seen subsequent to the 2012 show I saw had given the slightest indication that Roth is approaching the vocals any differently, or that he is sounding any better. On the contrary, he sounds like he's getting worse.

I checked out the early 2015 shows via youtube before tickets went on sale for my area, and Roth still sounded terrible. Roth sounding terrible has become the recent/new norm for the band. And that's fine for the band and the Van Halens if they accept it, and it's fine for the fans who are still willing to pay money to see it.

Roth was so off-key with his strained yelp in 2012 that it frankly put a damper on the show for me: it simply sounded goddamned awful. Even more depressing was that the Van Halens themselves were in solid form, displaying a well-rehearsed/practiced set of classic Van Halen music, and there was Roth onstage with them often making it unlistenable whenever he was singing. It was THAT bad at times.

I don't have any interest in spending nickel one of my money or a single moment of my time expending the energy to get tickets to see the band live as it is today sounding the way it does now. Fuck that.

I love what Van Halen did when Roth was in the group the first time around. The second time around has been largely a letdown, and not worth the investment. We all knew eventually the time was going to come for Van Halen with Dave where they couldn't pull it off anymore, and for me that time came four years ago. A bummer, to be sure. I always got a kick out of Roth's performances. Even as recently as 2005 and 2006. I thought he did a - for him - TREMENDOUS job on the 2007/2008 tour. One of my personal all-time favorite rock front men. But it is over. It...is...over.

18. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Von Halen (11-05-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Should anyone think he may have improved his approach, please go watch the screeching and yelping he did recently, at that corporate, or whatever the fuck it was, gig. Hell, even the band that wasn’t VH backing him, showed him up.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Psssssssst. Assholes.

High school is well over with. It's been over 40 years. Don't you think it's time you moved on with your miserable lives?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why would we do that?

22. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-06-2017)

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They have already reissued this lp...dont see much else you can do unless reissue the red vinyl the djs got..

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You know the more homoerotic admiration you cretins have for Roth the more I starting to believe that many of you never finished high school.

Am I right?

God damn right I'm right.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Im going for my GED soon. Im making room in my dads basement to hang the diploma..Wish me well.

27. 3 users say thank you to Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

Kristy (11-06-2017),Terry (11-06-2017),Von Halen (11-06-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They’re calling it the 40th Anniversary Van Halen featuring David Lee Liberothci tour.

29. Thanked Von Halen for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (11-11-2017)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Should anyone think he may have improved his approach, please go watch the screeching and yelping he did recently, at that corporate, or whatever the fuck it was, gig. Hell, even the band that wasn’t VH backing him, showed him up.
    True... Dave took it to a new level right before our naked steaming eyes... Sadly "up" wasn't the direction achieved.

I guess my interest in Van Halen is similar to NASCAR... I enjoy the wrecks and fights that break out as a result of poor sportsmanship...

31. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-10-2017)

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    You know the more homoerotic admiration you cretins have for Roth the more I starting to believe that many of you never finished high school.

Am I right?

God damn right I'm right.
    Only lesbians are this consistently unhappy.

33. Thanked Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (11-17-2017)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igosplut View Post
    Is it possible for a Transgender to be a lesbian?

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, they're too stubborn to change.......

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, they got things dialed in... they're just shoppin for the desired after-market parts and upgrades!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

"Hi, it's me again. You know, the 80's cheer that would never fuck you much less look at you in high school. Chances are high all of you all are F A T, bald, and living on some form of governmental assistance. All you have or think you have is this really weird, fucked-up homoerotic fantasy of a bald er..um, singer in a Montose cover band. I'd say move on with your pathetic lives but seeing how you all love being pathetic parasites in one form or another it's really not worth the effort. You'd all be better off if you just collectively killed yourselves."
    Last edited by Kristy; 11-19-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh you poor unhappy thing you.....

39. Thanked Igosplut for this KICKASS post:

Terry (11-19-2017)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh you poor unhappy thing you.....
    It's not even worth the bother, Igo.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Don't believe the tired old stereotype. I have a few lesbian friends who are great fun and seem to be very happy indeed.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Believe it. slave SESH's alleged lesbian "friends" all live in his porn bookmarked pages.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shame Dave cant sing anymore..last 8 seconds or so sound interesting..

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Shame Dave cant sing anymore..
    Not really.

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Don't believe the tired old stereotype. I have a few lesbian friends who are great fun and seem to be very happy indeed.
    You don't live where I do. Trust me, they're miserable......

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

You don't live where I do. Trust me, they're miserable......
    Do they drive Subarus?

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Do they drive Subarus?
    Strap-on's.....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think the band not honoring their 40th anniversary of the debut of "VH 1" would be highly disrespectful of their own legacy --- but they already showed they dont give a piss about their legacy by going AWOL at their RNR Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

I doubt a summer tour is being organized, but my dream list of 40th anniversary commemorations would be:

1) Release a DVD of unseen footage --- '81 Oakland would be the obvious choice since we know Ed has the entire show on film. I'd also like to see more backstage and studio footage from the Roth years since we know that stuff has to exist.

2) Anniversary gig at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go --- same as they did with Poodle-Dick in 1993 to honor their 15th anniversary --- pack that fucker to the rafters and film it all

3) Pure fantasy I know, but having Ed tell us that Netflix or Amazon studios is producing a 2-hour movie about the band, focusing mainly on the Roth years. This is something that's been on the wish list of every old school fan because we know it would be a very entertaining flick if done right.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 06:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

=VH= are gonna reunite with Mike. I'm pretty sure it will happen. Soon. Very soon.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vony View Post
    =VH= are gonna reunite with Mike. I'm pretty sure it will happen. Soon. Very soon.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vony View Post

At the very least, have one of those sit down interviews with Soboleski like they did for the release of ADKOT --- just imagine Little Prick Ed says something like:

"Hey Mikey, sorry for how we treated you like shit for 25 years. Here's a check for all the royalties we screwed you out of. Love you, brah. You're back in the band."

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 06:54 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Someone from Warners posted this on Facebook but quickly deleted it.

Thread Information