Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Finished the Guns N' Roses Bio "Watch you bleed" by Stephen Davis.

It's a long but interesting read. Gives a lot of details and background stories. And if you think VH is dysfunctional, fuck, try these guys...btw some DLR and VH mentioning in the book.

Davis' writing keeps you in the flow, not boring at all, but sometimes he's got very simple facts so obviously wrong that you wonder how reliable the book is. Calling Paul Stanley "the long time bass player for KISS" doesn't exactly help your credibility as a journalist. And that's just one example.

The book came out before the reunion so it ends in that time period.

Overall I can recommend it as a good view on the era we all followed musically in a way.

8 out of 10

Now Slash's autobiography...
      Roth Army Icon
      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

All right...

So "Slash" is a damn good read. Better than the above mentioned and sounds pretty genuine. It's his view of what happened but he points that out. LOTS of drugs involved and sometimes you wonder how many lifes one cat can have.

It finishes while Velvet Revolver was still functioning and Slash has to eat some of his written words now...but...that's the trouble with never!

A long but very interesting read.

9 out of 10

Now Springsteen...
        Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Von Halen
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Thanks for reviewing all thes Natra. I’m still amazed you can read! Seriously, this is good info, and will help me decide which ones I’m going to read.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Von prefers books with plenty of pictures!
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              Von prefers books with plenty of pictures!
              Stay away from Springsteen then...that guy is really trying hard to appear as intellectual as possible...and I am at page 120 of 1100...but from Slash to the Boss is quite a culture clash...to say at least.
              Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Von Halen
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

I hate Springsteen, so I’d never have any interest in reading his book.

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

I have to stop you there, Natra. It's one of the more brilliant books I've ever read; 2/3 of the way through looking forward to the end so I can start at page 1 again. I'm a lifelong iron maiden fan, that probably helps. He includes an afterword on page 367 which explains lots.

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                    Finished the Guns N' Roses Bio "Watch you bleed" by Stephen Davis.

It's a long but interesting read. Gives a lot of details and background stories. And if you think VH is dysfunctional, fuck, try these guys...btw some DLR and VH mentioning in the book.

Davis' writing keeps you in the flow, not boring at all, but sometimes he's got very simple facts so obviously wrong that you wonder how reliable the book is. Calling Paul Stanley "the long time bass player for KISS" doesn't exactly help your credibility as a journalist. And that's just one example.

The book came out before the reunion so it ends in that time period.

Overall I can recommend it as a good view on the era we all followed musically in a way.

8 out of 10

Now Slash's autobiography...
                    The Stephen Davis Aerosmith book, Walk This Way, was a pretty good read.

But, yeah, Davis is one of those rock bio authors you have to proofread as a reader (isn't that what an editor is for?!), as evidenced in your discovery of Davis claiming Stanley was the bassplayer for KISS: Davis writes interesting rock books, but far from flawless...and, in the case of the David-authored Led Zep Hammer Of The Gods bio, not above including speculative bullshit rumors/legends as fact, either.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                      Stay away from Springsteen then...that guy is really trying hard to appear as intellectual as possible...and I am at page 120 of 1100...but from Slash to the Boss is quite a culture clash...to say at least.
                      I like a lot of Springsteen's music, but he has always been a bit too calculated and full of affectation at times. NOBODY is compelling live for 3 + hours.

It's like, hey, 'Boss'...you never worked in a factory, or went to Vietnam, or REALLY had to struggle nearly as much as the characters in your songs have: quit with the speechifying before every tune you play live, and stop trying to portray yourself as some Working Class Hero.

Just play the music.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        I have to stop you there, Natra. It's one of the more brilliant books I've ever read; 2/3 of the way through looking forward to the end so I can start at page 1 again. I'm a lifelong iron maiden fan, that probably helps. He includes an afterword on page 367 which explains lots.
                        You mean the Bruce D. biographie?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                        Roth Army Icon

Comment

Working...