Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Cheeto Holds Public Meeting On Immigration To Prove He's Stable

chicagotribune.com
    Trump tries to deal, prove mental stability at televised immigration meeting
    Ashley Parker and Philip Rucker

He acted the part, listening intently and guiding the conversation with the control of a firm but open-minded executive. He spoke the part, offering a mix of jesting bon mots and high-minded appeals for bipartisanship. And he looked the part, down to the embroidered "45" on his starched white shirt cuff.

In short, President Donald Trump on Tuesday tried to show that he could do his job.

With his afternoon immigration meeting with lawmakers - into which he invited the press corps to watch for nearly an hour - Trump sought to definitively answer the question that has been nagging at him for the past week: Is the 71-year-old mentally fit to be commander in chief?

And for the 55 minutes that the scene unfolded on television, the president demonstrated stability, although not necessarily capability. In trying to erase one set of queries (is he up for the job and a "very stable genius," as he claimed on Twitter?), he inadvertently opened another: What, exactly, is going to be in that immigration bill?

On that, Trump left a cliffhanger.

The former reality television star made the unilateral decision to allow journalists toting cameras and audio recorders into the West Wing's Cabinet Room to watch him talk with lawmakers about one of the most intractable and polarizing issues facing the government - what to do with the nearly 700,000 young undocumented immigrants known as "dreamers." Their work permits are set to expire March 5 because of Trump's decision to revoke President Barack Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program.

And while Trump offered captivating television drama, he also muddled through the policy by seeming to endorse divergent positions, including simply protecting the dreamers or a plan contingent upon funding for his long-promised wall at the nation's southern border.

"I think my positions are going to be what the people in this room come up with," Trump said. "I am very much reliant on the people in this room."

So pliant was Trump that when Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. asked if he would support "a clean DACA bill" that protects the dreamers with no other conditions, the president sounded amenable.

"Yeah, I would like to do it," Trump said.
    Donald Trump

Trump's apparent concession so alarmed House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., that he interjected himself, although he was careful only to gently contradict the president, who in the past has referred to him as "my Kevin."

"Mr. President, you need to be clear, though," McCarthy said, leaning over from his perch to Trump's left. "I think what Senator Feinstein is asking here - when we talk about just DACA, we don't want to be back here two years later. You have to have security."

Later, again attempting to nudge the president back on track to a more conservative plan, Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., made a similar pitch for precision. "We have to be very clear, though," Perdue urged.

McCarthy apparently was not the only one concerned by Trump's seeming agreement with Feinstein. When the White House released its official transcript Tuesday afternoon, the president's line - "Yeah, I would like to do it" - was missing.

Later, when Trump offered a clarification - "We do a Phase 1, which is DACA and security, and we do Phase 2, which is comprehensive immigration" - a relieved-looking McCarthy all but leaped from his seat, pointing at Trump like a teacher whose promising student, after several false starts, finally has alighted on the correct answer.

Yet the president's plans were so nebulous that as the confab wrapped up, Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, was still pressing for more specifics. "You want $18 billion for a wall, or else there will be no DACA. Is that still your position?" she asked. "And can you tell us how many miles of wall you're contemplating? Whether it's $17 million or $13 million or whatever is - can you tell us?"

Trump staged the meeting as a showcase of his desire to cut a deal with Democrats. He cast himself as a bipartisan statesman, saying he'd had a similar gathering the previous week with only Republican lawmakers and was eager to add Democrats to the mix.

Originally, there was no plan for a photo opportunity, let alone a 55-minute one, a White House official said. Trump's daily schedule listed the meeting as "closed press." The lawmakers also were not expecting any media coverage.

Trump sat at the table's center, between two Democratic leaders who have been outspoken advocates for the dreamers - Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer, D-Md., - and set the tone at the outset by calling for "a bill of love."

The president's bipartisan bonhomie sparked immediate backlash on the political right. On Breitbart News, a conservative website that positions itself as the mouthpiece of Trump's base, coverage of the meeting featured a photo of Trump reaching out to high-five Jeb Bush - the former Florida governor who has been pilloried by the party's grass roots, as well as by Trump, for his support of immigration reform - under a headline that blared "amnesty."

Trump also chose the role of potential martyr. Suggesting that the group tackle broad immigration reform, Trump told the lawmakers, "I'll take all the heat you want to give me, and I'll take the heat off both the Democrats and the Republicans."

"My whole life has been heat," he concluded.

In one of several revealing moments, Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, a staunch conservative, spoke of helping the "vulnerable" dreamers who had been brought to the United States through "no fault of their own."

Grassley's impassioned plea prompted Hoyer to say of himself and Durbin, "Mr. President, let me just say, I think Dick and I agree with what Charles E. Grassley just said."

Trump was ready with a rejoinder: "When was the last time that happened?" he asked, prompting laughter.

Lawmakers left the meeting encouraged if confounded.

"This was the most fascinating meeting I've been involved with in 20-plus years in politics," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said in a statement.

Before leaving the White House, Durbin told reporters he had enjoyed a "unique meeting" in a "positive sense."

"My head is spinning," the Democrat said.

During the meeting, Trump repeatedly broke the fourth wall to address the fourth estate, acknowledging his real audience beyond the members of Congress.
    Trump suggests 2-phase immigration deal for 'Dreamers'

"I like opening it up to the media because I think they're seeing, more than anything else, that we're all very much on a similar page," Trump said.

Typically, reporters are let in to such meetings for only a few minutes at the beginning. But the president sometimes has remarked afterward to aides that reporters missed the best parts, according to one top White House official.

As he excused the press corps, Trump said: "I hope we've given you enough material. That should cover you for about two weeks."

The president was onto something. The transcript ran more than 11,000 words and left reporters drained - literally.

Ken Thomas, who covers the White House for the Associated Press, said on Twitter that when he entered the meeting, his iPhone was almost fully charged. But by the time he left, after firing off dispatches, his phone was flashing red.

"My battery," he wrote, "was down to 9 percent."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Option A: El Salvador isn't a "shithole," so they don't need 17 years of Temporary Protected Status, and migrants from there should be sent home immediately.

Option B: El Salvador is, in fact, a "shithole."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

CNN has "shithole" in the headline on their site. This morning, NBC said "s-hole." I guess with broadcast standards they weren't going to say "shithole."

I love how pissed off everyone is.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Option A: El Salvador isn't a "shithole," so they don't need 17 years of Temporary Protected Status, and migrants from there should be sent home immediately.

El Salvador is a "shithole" in no small part because we essentially helped their corrupt top 1% of the country's money bags wipe out large sections of their population during our dirty war....
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

thehill.com
    Dem lawmaker: Why do we allow presidents from 'shithole companies' like Trump Org?
    Brett Samuels

Rep. Mark Pocan on Thursday fired back at a report that President Trump questioned why the U.S. accepts immigrants from “shithole” countries by asking “why we allow presidents from shithole companies like the Trump Organization."

The real question is why we allow presidents from shithole companies like the Trump Organization https://t.co/OHD7rLPHwK
    — Rep. Mark Pocan (@repmarkpocan) January 11, 2018
    The Washington Post reported that Trump made the remark during a meeting with other lawmakers to discuss protections for immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries.

Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) were reportedly present at the meeting and were surprised by the comments, according to the Post.

Trump reportedly suggested in the meeting that the U.S. should instead seek to bring in more immigrants from countries like Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday.

The White House defended Trump’s remarks in a statement and did not deny them.

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people,” White House spokesperson Raj Shah said in a statement.

“President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation,” the spokesman added.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

When I heard this story my first thought was 'Why would any Norwegian want to move to the US?'

Google shows some other people have already done the legwork.

Its per capita gross domestic product went from $1,441.80 in 1960 to $70,911.8 now, according to World Bank data. (The U.S. figure is $57,638.20.) Norway has higher life expectancy at birth than the U.S., lower rates of infant mortality, low unemployment, and access to the European Union’s labor market (though it’s not an EU member).

Additionally, Norway is the world’s happiest country (the U.S. ranks 14), the place with the most political freedom (the U.S. ranks 45), most press freedom (the U.S. ranks 43rd), and most prosperity (the U.S. ranks 18). Simply put, there’s little economic incentive for Norwegians to immigrate to the U.S.

That’s true not just of Norway, but of all Western European countries that have become more prosperous over the past several decades. European immigration to the U.S. has fallen dramatically, and the place of European immigrants have been taken by those from Asia, Latin America, and Africa.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...norway/550382/

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Tucker Carlson‏

@TuckerCarlson

Does characterizing El Salvador - or any other country, for that matter - a "shithole" really represent the best of what America has to offer these days?

Let's just say that, indeed, El Salvador has all the conditions which certainly would make it a hellish place to live. I doubt anybody would refute that.

How exactly does having our President refer to that place in that way...how exactly is that helpful in ANY way? Does it help our image abroad?

Honestly, I have a lot of views that would be considered liberal or progressive. Yet I'm for fortification of our southern border, controlling the flow of foreigners into this country, vetting those foreigners who want to come here carefully and thoroughly in terms of making sure we aren't allowing those with violent criminal backgrounds enter our country. I'd even be for applying a means test to those wanting to come here, in terms of asking specific questions about how said prospective immigrants plan to earn a living, where they plan to stay, how they will be able to pay their way outside of government assistance. If non-specific answers are given, I'm for denying them entry into the country.

All that to one side, the president's characterization of the country in question wasn't helpful, and to my mind it's not a useful attitude for a president to have, much less express. It comes off as an attitude a heartless bully would blurt out.

I dunno. Sadly, that President Trump expressed such a view really isn't surprising. What is disheartening to me are the amount of Americans in essence agreeing with him: "Yeah! Fuck El Salvador! It IS a shithole! USA!! USA!! USA!!"

So, as a country we via Trump called out El Salvador for the shithole it is. Wonderful. We really showed El Salvador who the boss is. Is this part of the greatness Trump promised us? If so, why is it I don't feel all that great about it?

America isn't perfect. However, surely we can do better than this.

Can't we?

9. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (01-13-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cheeto Eats Haitian Babies .... becuz Alex says so!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I only heard "Trump", "...shithole..." and "country" in the News and was sure they were talking about the United Shitholes of America...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,078 Times in 1,996 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Can't we?
    You summed it up perfectly...

YES! We can do better and the comment POTUS made was not helpful at all.

Trump is neither the first nor last leader to be caught saying something regrettable or cussing it up inappropriately. Much worse has been said from past leaders and it just demonstrates they are human and express themselves less eloquently than desired at times. Given the total volume of bullshit that any leaders these days, in any country have to deal with... I'm surprised how rarely they don't just cut loose with a hearty salty comment.

But it's wise to remember... it's just a comment in poor taste. Not a declaration of war...

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    El Salvador is a "shithole" in no small part because we essentially helped their corrupt top 1% of the country's money bags wipe out large sections of their population during our dirty war....
    El Salvador was a shithole in 1975 before your Reagan references. Next...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

El Salvador was a shithole in 1975 before your Reagan references. Next...
    So are parts of the US. Some in the nice red states. The Guardian did a series on Alabama and how parts of it are nothing short of third world poverty. Any country where the top 1% controls all the wealth will be a "shithole".

However, the specific references of El Salvador are driven by the notorious MS13 gang - a collection of scum that is a direct outgrowth of the instability and torn social fabric resulting from the civil war there...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

In other news...

16. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

FORD (01-13-2018)

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Does characterizing El Salvador - or any other country, for that matter - a "shithole" really represent the best of what America has to offer these days?

Let's just say that, indeed, El Salvador has all the conditions which certainly would make it a hellish place to live. I doubt anybody would refute that.

How exactly does having our President refer to that place in that way...how exactly is that helpful in ANY way? Does it help our image abroad?

Honestly, I have a lot of views that would be considered liberal or progressive. Yet I'm for fortification of our southern border, controlling the flow of foreigners into this country, vetting those foreigners who want to come here carefully and thoroughly in terms of making sure we aren't allowing those with violent criminal backgrounds enter our country. I'd even be for applying a means test to those wanting to come here, in terms of asking specific questions about how said prospective immigrants plan to earn a living, where they plan to stay, how they will be able to pay their way outside of government assistance. If non-specific answers are given, I'm for denying them entry into the country.

All that to one side, the president's characterization of the country in question wasn't helpful, and to my mind it's not a useful attitude for a president to have, much less express. It comes off as an attitude a heartless bully would blurt out.

I dunno. Sadly, that President Trump expressed such a view really isn't surprising. What is disheartening to me are the amount of Americans in essence agreeing with him: "Yeah! Fuck El Salvador! It IS a shithole! USA!! USA!! USA!!"

So, as a country we via Trump called out El Salvador for the shithole it is. Wonderful. We really showed El Salvador who the boss is. Is this part of the greatness Trump promised us? If so, why is it I don't feel all that great about it?

Can't we?

What you missed is I don't want anymore PC decorum. Trump cut to the core of the debate. We're supposed to be running a nation not the greenroom of the next Harpo sob story episode.

Other countries focus more on trying to attract the best and brightest. When China took over Hong Kong from Britain in 1997, a lot of wealthy Chinese wanted to leave and come to the US. Due to our bs policies they instead went to Canada. Canada gives wealth and education strong preferential treatment. These immigrants from Hong Kong brought an estimated $4.2 billion in wealth with them. Missed that one, didn't hear anyone bitching.

Apparently, most want poorly-educated, unskilled people coming in. There's nothing wrong with wanting well-educated, skilled, and high-income earners coming in either.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So are parts of the US. Some in the nice red states. The Guardian did a series on Alabama and how parts of it are nothing short of third world poverty. Any country where the top 1% controls all the wealth will be a "shithole".

However, the specific references of El Salvador are driven by the notorious MS13 gang - a collection of scum that is a direct outgrowth of the instability and torn social fabric resulting from the civil war there...
    Nice deflection but it doesn't work on me. El Salvador has about 56% unemployment and a crime rate that is off the charts. And it's not just the gangs. The typical socialist police are hitmen, they traffic weapons, they extort the gangs for bribes, and rapes in broad daylight.

You and the rest of the commie libs leftist should find it quite nice there. El Salvador: A shithole where a real socialist can fit in.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Nice deflection but it doesn't work on me. El Salvador has about 56% unemployment and a crime rate that is off the charts. And it's not just the gangs. The typical socialist police are hitmen, they traffic weapons, they extort the gangs for bribes, and rapes in broad daylight.
    Not deflecting anything you mongoloid. The unemployment rate is 6.9% dummy, not sure what site you get your shit from. Also, about 30% of El Salvadorans are below the poverty line. I think that's maybe double us, but not the dystopia you paint.

Yes, the police are often hitmen, welcome to the Third World!

You and the rest of the commie libs leftist should find it quite nice there. El Salvador: A shithole where a real socialist can fit in.
    Socialists? The right wing won the civil war more or less, idiot!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What you missed is I don't want anymore PC decorum. Trump cut to the core of the debate. We're supposed to be running a nation not the greenroom of the next Harpo sob story episode.....
    Remember that as U.S. military personnel are deployed to Africa and Trump's "un-PC" bullshit may get them killed...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not deflecting anything you mongoloid. The unemployment rate is 6.9% dummy, not sure what site you get your shit from. Also, about 30% of El Salvadorans are below the poverty line. I think that's maybe double us, but not the dystopia you paint.

Yes, the police are often hitmen, welcome to the Third World!

Socialists? The right wing won the civil war more or less, idiot!
    Not sure where you get your facts from. Mongoloid refers to the 3 anthropologic skeletal types. But with all the interbreeding going on, we're all the same and no one can trace their genetic heritage. I think that's the PC version of that bullshit. Back on topic.

Last I checked, governments of the leftist Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front have inserted the state’s role in the economy.
    Then enhanced their alliance with the socialist, Venezuela-led Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA).

As far as the third world, that's where you and your kind think we equate. Chants of USA and MAGA are nationalist.

You can't tell a socialist who a socialist is anymore...

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Remember that as U.S. military personnel are deployed to Africa and Trump's "un-PC" bullshit may get them killed...

True. Very true. Nothing funny about that.

The exception to the rule is our guys can shoot first now. I really hope you're OK with that.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

True. Very true. Nothing funny about that.

The exception to the rule is our guys can shoot first now. I really hope you're OK with that.
    Or alternatively, they can just come home since they have no valid reason to be in most of those places to begin with.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    You summed it up perfectly...

YES! We can do better and the comment POTUS made was not helpful at all.

Trump is neither the first nor last leader to be caught saying something regrettable or cussing it up inappropriately. Much worse has been said from past leaders and it just demonstrates they are human and express themselves less eloquently than desired at times. Given the total volume of bullshit that any leaders these days, in any country have to deal with... I'm surprised how rarely they don't just cut loose with a hearty salty comment.

But it's wise to remember... it's just a comment in poor taste. Not a declaration of war...
    Surely not a declaration of war, but merely a comment in poor taste? Or, when coupled with the Norway remark, the Haitian remark and the African remarks, more of an indication of a pro-white/ anti-minority mindset?

Dismissing it as merely a comment in poor taste is, to me, trying to provide a harmless rationalization for a mindset that is as vulgar as it is nasty.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What you missed is I don't want anymore PC decorum. Trump cut to the core of the debate. We're supposed to be running a nation not the greenroom of the next Harpo sob story episode.

Other countries focus more on trying to attract the best and brightest. When China took over Hong Kong from Britain in 1997, a lot of wealthy Chinese wanted to leave and come to the US. Due to our bs policies they instead went to Canada. Canada gives wealth and education strong preferential treatment. These immigrants from Hong Kong brought an estimated $4.2 billion in wealth with them. Missed that one, didn't hear anyone bitching.

Apparently, most want poorly-educated, unskilled people coming in. There's nothing wrong with wanting well-educated, skilled, and high-income earners coming in either.
    What you missed was the substance of my stance on immigration, which is hardly what one would call an all-inclusive, politically correct solution with the Oprah stamp of approval, nor is it one that would by default enable poorly-educated, unskilled people coming in. Perhaps if you re-read the totality my comment, rather than (for whatever reason) reflexively getting defensive about it, you won't mischaracterize what I said. In addition, my comment was most assuredly not written to tailor to what you want in terms of decorum, just as it wasn't offered to piss you off.

Indeed, America, much like other countries, should focus on attracting the best and the brightest.

Trump's comments help none of what either you or I mentioned in the least, unless you really believe the best and the brightest of other countries are going to be attracted to America due to the manner in which Trump characterized less fortunate countries. That manner has less to do with boldly cutting to the core of the debate than it does merely exposing Trump's values for what they are.

Is it merely the wealthy whites we want coming here? Is that the highest priority? For some, doubtless that will be true. I tend to think wealthy white Norwegians would want about as much to do with you and me as they would with people from any of the countries Trump characterized as shitholes, but if an influx of such people makes you feel as good as standing behind the remarks of a president who characterizes poor, non-white countries as shitholes, I guess you'll find plenty in that idea to please you.

Maybe we can all work at Ikea.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What you missed was the substance of my stance on immigration, which is hardly what one would call an all-inclusive, politically correct solution with the Oprah stamp of approval, nor is it one that would by default enable poorly-educated, unskilled people coming in. Perhaps if you re-read the totality my comment, rather than (for whatever reason) reflexively getting defensive about it, you won't mischaracterize what I said. In addition, my comment was most assuredly not written to tailor to what you want in terms of decorum, just as it wasn't offered to piss you off.

Indeed, America, much like other countries, should focus on attracting the best and the brightest.

Trump's comments help none of what either you or I mentioned in the least, unless you really believe the best and the brightest of other countries are going to be attracted to America due to the manner in which Trump characterized less fortunate countries. That manner has less to do with boldly cutting to the core of the debate than it does merely exposing Trump's values for what they are.

Is it merely the wealthy whites we want coming here? Is that the highest priority? For some, doubtless that will be true. I tend to think wealthy white Norwegians would want about as much to do with you and me as they would with people from any of the countries Trump characterized as shitholes, but if an influx of such people makes you feel as good as standing behind the remarks of a president who characterizes poor, non-white countries as shitholes, I guess you'll find plenty in that idea to please you.

Maybe we can all work at Ikea.
    Terry, I wasn't at all trying to mischaracterize your post. I would like for there to be room for centrist policies and attitudes. But all it has done is lead to some kind of amnesty.

El Salvador is a shithole. When your country has the worlds highest murder rate, you're on the pole for the Shithole 500.

So where should these immigrants come from? Somalia? A shithole that provides sanctuary for international pirates. How about Uganda? A shithole where Al-Shabaab terrorists can bomb kill soccer fans and find sanctuary. That muslim immigration is working well. Just ask the shoppers at the Minneapolis mall.

Believe it or not, there is an inferior culture we don't want and don't need here.

I agree with you entirely. They should not all be rich whites that don't want to integrate. The left doesn't want any part of fixing immigration and to reorient our immigration policy toward taking people who can successfully assimilate here. More of the same.

That's the story as I see it.

And the first chance the left got to poison the negotiations, they jumped.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yes, but does that mean every Somali is a pirate? Or every Ugandan sympathizes with Al-Shabaab terrorists? Or every Muslim is a radical who wants to harm America?

I do think we need vetting. I'd agree 100% that there are different cultures than ours, because that is self-evident. Inferior because they're different, or not as well off? I'll leave that one to the side.

I do also believe those who want to come here SHOULD be vetted. And those who want to come here should actually be tested in terms of being able to speak and understand English as a prerequisite to entry. I also think those who want to come here should be ready to assimilate into American society and culture (learning English prior to arrival being a part of that), and not come here to form separatist enclaves.

Perhaps when it comes to immigration, such views aren't defined as progressive. I just grow weary of the belief that we in America need to take in anybody and everybody who wants to come here and care for them while asking for little in return from them, to the point where they don't even feel the need to learn English. Or become naturalized citizens in some cases after living here for decades. Or enter the country on a travel visa, overstay their visa, not become legal citizens and live in the shadows: I can't imagine that is something that is useful for us as a nation OR those living here in those circumstances.

Yet, I'm also able to if not here and now make the case (it'd take too long and distract from the larger point I want to make) for why I feel the way I do at least say how I feel without using the language Trump did. That language wasn't helpful: the left wouldn't have been able to use that to poison the negotiations had Trump not said it the way he did. Trump's attitudes and means of expressing them do more damage to his stance and cause than help, because Trump isn't able to articulate his beliefs in a manner that doesn't give creedence to the fact that Trump's core beliefs are what any reasonable person would define as racist. Every time Trump approaches the subject of race, his language and attitudes betray his long held core beliefs again and again. Saying that Trump "just tells it like it is" is a pretty lame denial that Trump is a racist.

It's not only recognizing racism for what it is in terms of not trying to cloak it or deny it, but what one does AFTER they recognize racism for what it is. There are a lot of race cards in the deck, and not all of them are dealt from the top.

I can't sit here and tell you that I don't feel safer when I'm surrounded by people similar to myself in terms of color, creed and ethnicity. However, ultimately I think our commonalities as members of the same species should be placed before our religious, racial, national and economic differences. Am I living it like I preach it? Nope. When I look at El Salvador, I have far more sympathy toward them than disdain in terms of where that nation is at. I don't get the feeling with Trump, based on what he says and how he says it, that he has any degree of sympathy for any non-white, non-American people who are poor. I think he's fearful of them, and calling them residents of shitholes feeds into making him feel like he's superior to them. Typical of a guy who was born on 3rd base and hasn't had to struggle for anything, perhaps.

I mean, when you say there are inferior cultures and they're not wanted here, that's the same type of thing that was said about Italians and Irishmen in the 1920s. Is it your belief that attitude was correct back then as well?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well, well, well. Fuck me with a broom handle the just raped a HIV-infected Rhesus money. All Grumpy Trumpy did was say what most of white and black America thinks of "'dem countries" where, let's say, the population is than than ideal. Of course, a lot of this has to do with American imperialism and their support of corrupt governments. No question liberals are throwing hissy fits while what remains of the Rethuglicon party feigns concern over Trump while they can still use him to brutalize the poor. I have no doubts that syphilis-brain damaged orange F A T fuck is not equipped for Office but that's beside the point. America is full of racist and by full I mean every one of us. If bigots like slave FORD and misogynists like slave SESH can get away what they get away with you know they are not far from being racist. But they love to project on Asscracksmar or Von the fucking retard because they know they are racist n order to clear their warped conscience.

No one here is fooling me. You are all assholes. You support assholes and believe in their words because they do and say what you are too lazy to do and say yourselves. Is Haiti a "shithole?" Well, yes. Then again, so is much of the south, California and don't get me started on Cleveland and the scum that grows there.

This, this is what voted for Trump. America's own shithole of white trash so uneducated and clueless that Trump himself doesn't realize that a "shithole" is what got him elected. That's right, the Honey Boo-Boo of MAGA placed a dumbfuck in the highest power in the world and you cretins blame everyone but yourselves. I'm not surprised since not one of you ever finished high school and project your life failures upon a bald aging rock star who can't sing with bizarre homoerotic fantasies. No wonder America is fucked.

Every one of you needs to go to timeout and eat a bag of dicks.
    Last edited by Kristy; 01-14-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not sure where you get your facts from. Mongoloid refers to the 3 anthropologic skeletal types. But with all the interbreeding going on, we're all the same and no one can trace their genetic heritage. I think that's the PC version of that bullshit. Back on topic.
    Or someone that is an excessive mouthbreather....

Last I checked, governments of the leftist Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front have inserted the state’s role in the economy.
    Then enhanced their alliance with the socialist, Venezuela-led Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA).
    You mean when you Googled like three minutes after reading my post. The FMLN has been in power for a few years and El Salavador's problems far predate their electoral victory...

You can't tell a socialist who a socialist is anymore...
    It would help if you knew what the definition and some of the theoretical concepts behind socialism actually were. And then moved on from blaming long standing social problems on socialism when in fact they stem from the country essentially being run for decades of a plutocratic kleptocracy military dictatorship......

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, we should also point out that immigration from Somalia has been going on for decades, since the early 70's if not earlier. But the early 70's is when they finally collapsed into essentially anarchy after being used and a Cold War ping pong and switching sides often. But there are Somali communities in many parts of the country that are clean and very well run with a very strong family tradition. I am NOT saying "lets send a cruise ship and let everyone in!" I'm saying vet them closely, but take the best and brightest with great work ethics...

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yes, but does that mean every Somali is a pirate? Or every Ugandan sympathizes with Al-Shabaab terrorists? Or every Muslim is a radical who wants to harm America?

I do think we need vetting. I'd agree 100% that there are different cultures than ours, because that is self-evident. Inferior because they're different, or not as well off? I'll leave that one to the side.

I do also believe those who want to come here SHOULD be vetted. And those who want to come here should actually be tested in terms of being able to speak and understand English as a prerequisite to entry. I also think those who want to come here should be ready to assimilate into American society and culture (learning English prior to arrival being a part of that), and not come here to form separatist enclaves.

Perhaps when it comes to immigration, such views aren't defined as progressive. I just grow weary of the belief that we in America need to take in anybody and everybody who wants to come here and care for them while asking for little in return from them, to the point where they don't even feel the need to learn English. Or become naturalized citizens in some cases after living here for decades. Or enter the country on a travel visa, overstay their visa, not become legal citizens and live in the shadows: I can't imagine that is something that is useful for us as a nation OR those living here in those circumstances.

Yet, I'm also able to if not here and now make the case (it'd take too long and distract from the larger point I want to make) for why I feel the way I do at least say how I feel without using the language Trump did. That language wasn't helpful: the left wouldn't have been able to use that to poison the negotiations had Trump not said it the way he did. Trump's attitudes and means of expressing them do more damage to his stance and cause than help, because Trump isn't able to articulate his beliefs in a manner that doesn't give creedence to the fact that Trump's core beliefs are what any reasonable person would define as racist. Every time Trump approaches the subject of race, his language and attitudes betray his long held core beliefs again and again. Saying that Trump "just tells it like it is" is a pretty lame denial that Trump is a racist.

It's not only recognizing racism for what it is in terms of not trying to cloak it or deny it, but what one does AFTER they recognize racism for what it is. There are a lot of race cards in the deck, and not all of them are dealt from the top.

I can't sit here and tell you that I don't feel safer when I'm surrounded by people similar to myself in terms of color, creed and ethnicity. However, ultimately I think our commonalities as members of the same species should be placed before our religious, racial, national and economic differences. Am I living it like I preach it? Nope. When I look at El Salvador, I have far more sympathy toward them than disdain in terms of where that nation is at. I don't get the feeling with Trump, based on what he says and how he says it, that he has any degree of sympathy for any non-white, non-American people who are poor. I think he's fearful of them, and calling them residents of shitholes feeds into making him feel like he's superior to them. Typical of a guy who was born on 3rd base and hasn't had to struggle for anything, perhaps.

I mean, when you say there are inferior cultures and they're not wanted here, that's the same type of thing that was said about Italians and Irishmen in the 1920s. Is it your belief that attitude was correct back then as well?
    No, we are bringing in people from backwards, primitive cultures and then expecting them to just miraculously turn into middle class Americans with hundreds of years of a cultural history behind it. Calling those places shitholes is accurate.

Haiti is a shithole. When HillBilly was in office he put in that idiot Jean-Bertrand Aristide in charge who ended up being as corrupt as the Papa Doc and Baby Doc. And the UN is upset at Trump.

But it comes down to facts: People coming from El Salvador are not the same as people coming from Norway.

America wouldn’t have an illegal alien problem if these countries weren’t shitholes.

Trump cut the bullshit and went to the core of the debate. That's all.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, we should also point out that immigration from Somalia has been going on for decades, since the early 70's if not earlier. But the early 70's is when they finally collapsed into essentially anarchy after being used and a Cold War ping pong and switching sides often. But there are Somali communities in many parts of the country that are clean and very well run with a very strong family tradition. I am NOT saying "lets send a cruise ship and let everyone in!" I'm saying vet them closely, but take the best and brightest with great work ethics...
    Let's not send rangers in either...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let's not send rangers in either...
    Not Rangers, but...: https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...buildup-247668

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    A Jewish bigot calling the "shithole" statement appalling. Oh, that is laughable.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You calling Bernie Sanders a "bigot" is about as laughable as the Trumpsuckers whining about Oprah's lack of political experience.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    You calling Bernie Sanders a "bigot" is about as laughable as the Trumpsuckers whining about Oprah's lack of political experience.
    Whatever, bigoted Bernie brat supporter.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

'Shithole' projected onto Trump hotel

By Jacqueline Thomsen - TheHill.com
    01/13/18
    09:51 PM EST

The word “shithole” was projected onto President Trump’s D.C. hotel Saturday.

Video shows the word, along with the poop emoji, being projected onto the property.

“Pay Trump bribes here,” “emoluments welcome” and “we are all responsible to stand up and end white supremacy” were also projected onto the building.

Trump has faced intense backlash for calling Haiti, El Salvador and African nations “shithole countries” during an Oval Office meeting on immigration this week.

“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?” Trump reportedly said, before suggesting that the U.S. bring in more immigrants from countries like Norway.

The White House initially did not deny that Trump made the remarks, but Trump later disputed the reports on Twitter.

Lawmakers, media figures and world leaders have all decried Trump’s comments. The African Union, representing all 55 African countries, demanded Saturday that Trump apologize for the remarks.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thread Information