Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I'd say between $50 and $100 per ticket - and closer to $50 than $100 - for decent seats for that double bill would be appropriate. Unless there has been some massive surge in the popularity of either of those bands in the last decade in terms of drawing power that I'm unaware of, $100 and up per ticket doesn't sound reasonable, even when taking into account inflation today vs. ten years ago. Like, I don't think either band individually could roll into Tampa and play Amalie Arena with some no-name opening act, charge $50 a ticket and sell the venue out: the strength IS the double bill.

$130 and up sounds like prime seating.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
      Def Leppard have never been, to my mind, a fantastic live band. Saw them on the Hysteria tour in the 1980s, and the stage was the most memorable thing about that. Ten years ago, it was readily obvious that Leppard were using backing tapes, which is why I had to laugh at Sesh's Love And Affection comment. In addition to the tapes, Joe Elliott was intentionally ducking all the high notes in the tunes, to the point where some of the tunes were rearranged to facilitate this (e.g. Photograph stopping at the point where he says "I wanna touch you" and lurching into another song, so as to avoid the high range elongated scream at the end).
      I'm actually ok with the ducking notes thing. I saw Blondie a few months back and Debbie Harry just didn't sing the stuff she couldn't sing any more. That's fine. Latterly Geddy Lee was doing the same thing with Rush. No problem at all.

What pisses me off is backing tapes filling it in. I just feel what's the point I could be at home listening to this? Backing vocals is bad enough but the minute it's anything else it's worse than American Idol and I have no interest in it.

Def Leppard albums particularly on Hysteria is built on lots of incredibly simple guitar parts overdubbed, combined with electronic drums and 100 backing vocal tracks.

I don't know where they draw the line exactly but the temptation once you cross the line is more is better and if you are using some tapes why not more and it all becomes pointless.

There has been massive criticism of Van Halen live in the last 10 years but you have to at least admire they have retained live performance integrity.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Kristy just because you were at college with them doesn't make you a millennial.

Tough shit but you are Generation X like the rest of us (apart of course from Zahzoo who is a baby boomer).
        Wrong again as usual, Tutankhamun.

Your generation is a generation of sell-outs, drug addicts, and white nationalists who never finished high school.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If Generation X were on this bill it might actually be an interesting show....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• vandeleur
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Sep 2009

Billy always had cool hair.
            fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

The only shit that is remotely "kwel" about your fucked-up, retarded sell-out generation is that Martha Quinn married a Fuzztone

So "suckaonmuhdick" you fucking Journey deadbeat cretins.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Oh, and Mojo Nixon (who coincidentally wrote a tune about Martha)

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
                  Hahaha , Like you have to pay to see u2
                  LOL If I had wanted too, I could have sat in a bar across the street and heard everything for the price of drinks....

Comment

• Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    I'm actually ok with the ducking notes thing. I saw Blondie a few months back and Debbie Harry just didn't sing the stuff she couldn't sing any more. That's fine. Latterly Geddy Lee was doing the same thing with Rush. No problem at all.

What pisses me off is backing tapes filling it in. I just feel what's the point I could be at home listening to this? Backing vocals is bad enough but the minute it's anything else it's worse than American Idol and I have no interest in it.

Def Leppard albums particularly on Hysteria is built on lots of incredibly simple guitar parts overdubbed, combined with electronic drums and 100 backing vocal tracks.

I don't know where they draw the line exactly but the temptation once you cross the line is more is better and if you are using some tapes why not more and it all becomes pointless.

There has been massive criticism of Van Halen live in the last 10 years but you have to at least admire they have retained live performance integrity.
                    Mmmm...

When it reaches the point where the tunes can't be sung properly...when the singer is just too old to do it...at that point, why not just get another singer in there who CAN do it?

Either that, or just pack it in.

I guess it depends on how many concessions one is willing to make in terms of allowances for age.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Blondie thing it was only maybe 5% if that of the show.

So what was maybe a high lead vocal line plus backing vocals became just backing vocals.

It just seemed sensible.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'd say between $50 and $100 per ticket - and closer to $50 than $100 - for decent seats for that double bill would be appropriate. Unless there has been some massive surge in the popularity of either of those bands in the last decade in terms of drawing power that I'm unaware of, $100 and up per ticket doesn't sound reasonable, even when taking into account inflation today vs. ten years ago. Like, I don't think either band individually could roll into Tampa and play Amalie Arena with some no-name opening act, charge $50 a ticket and sell the venue out: the strength IS the double bill.

$130 and up sounds like prime seating.
                        You tell me. Seems like they think everywhere is "prime seating": http://keybank.centerbuffalo.com/Tic...8&venueID=1929

Maybe prices drop as we get closer and tix don't sell...

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          You tell me. Seems like they think everywhere is "prime seating": http://keybank.centerbuffalo.com/Tic...8&venueID=1929

Maybe prices drop as we get closer and tix don't sell...
                          Jesus!

So the KeyBank seats around 25,000 + for concert events, where the floor isn't taken up by a basketball court or ice rink (those sporting events can seat around 19,000).

The BASELINE ticket pricing from that link for that Leppard/Journey show STARTS at just over $130 bucks.

While I'd imagine both bands get some sort of guarantee, I'm kinda baffled as to whoever is promoting this gig: does said promoter actually think these two bands are going to sell 20,000 tickets starting at $130 per ticket?

I mean, maybe so, but I'd agree with you that one would tend to think those prices will drop as the gig approaches.

I simply can't imagine this double bill filling a twenty thousand seat arena these days, particularly when they couldn't do it in my area ten years ago.

I suppose I could be wrong about that...it'll be of interest to see how many people actually end up getting tickets for the show and if prices do drop (and by how much) as May approaches.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

In the arena here they frequently book bands that will only half fill it and then put black sheets across the upper levels which kind of works but with this one it seems weird having all the disadvantages of a stadium gig without the big crowd.

BTW I'm assuming that Journey are on first since Def Leppard have sold more albums and (a bit) more recently, headlined the last time the 2 bands toured, and still have their singer?

Plus in the publicity pics Def Leppard are a lot taller.

Oh and as if they didn't have enough fighting within their band I see Johnathan Cain has married Trumps chief heretical televangelist...
                            Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Tickets here haven't gone on sale yet. $49.50, $69.50, $99.50, & $179.50.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Jesus!

So the KeyBank seats around 25,000 + for concert events, where the floor isn't taken up by a basketball court or ice rink (those sporting events can seat around 19,000).

The BASELINE ticket pricing from that link for that Leppard/Journey show STARTS at just over $130 bucks.

While I'd imagine both bands get some sort of guarantee, I'm kinda baffled as to whoever is promoting this gig: does said promoter actually think these two bands are going to sell 20,000 tickets starting at $130 per ticket?

I mean, maybe so, but I'd agree with you that one would tend to think those prices will drop as the gig approaches.

I simply can't imagine this double bill filling a twenty thousand seat arena these days, particularly when they couldn't do it in my area ten years ago.

I suppose I could be wrong about that...it'll be of interest to see how many people actually end up getting tickets for the show and if prices do drop (and by how much) as May approaches.
                                I'm not sure who organizes non-sporting events at the KBC, but my guess is Pegula Sports and Entertainment. They're not noted for their overall competence at organizing events and was (Bills and Sabres owner) Terry Pegula's attempt at tweaking Jeremy Jacobs (Boston Bruins owner) who owns Delaware North that is headquartered in Buffalo, a large concessions company that handles stadium and arena sales around the world...

I don't know if they have no fucking idea how to handle name concerts for older white people with disposable income or they just figure there is nothing else going on here, 'so come down to Canalside and get pissed at our shit sports-bar and watch a eve-of-summer concert in a pretty good location!'

Comment

Working...