Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

In that picture, Bill is clearly debating whether to use one of the quaalude pudding pops on Roseanne or not.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

The world is just batshit crazy these days...

Does no one ever consider maybe just shutting the fuck up?

"A spokeswoman for Sanofi, the pharmaceutical company that makes Ambien, said in response to Barr's tweets about taking the sedative: "While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ambien does do some crazy shit, but I never heard of it turning anybody into a racist before. Just usually causes people to drive in their sleep or stupid shit like that. Just ask Patrick Kennedy, who walked away from crashing his car into a concrete barrier on the highway while in an Ambien coma... and still can say with a straight face that cannabis is more of a "dangerous" drug than anything Big Pharma puts out.

Weed never turned Hope Brady into a psycho serial killer.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

I have to say I do believe her excuse that she didn't know the woman was black.

If anything the two of them could be related...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Rosanne was popular because when it first aired it was the opposite of the Cosby Show. Rosanne was more real with a family with problems and warts. People loved it and it wasn't a conservative show at all. The bottom line is the establishment has managed to divide the country along political lines to the extent to where if you are a Trump supporter in a liberal profession, it's career suicide. Also, blabbing dumb shit on social media doesn't help. Rosanne killed her show overestimating her importance to ABC. That's ok. Network television will be gone in ten years and ABC will no longer exist. Who knows, Rosanne might return on an online channel in the future. There seems to be a market for it still.
    Which struck me as kind of odd from the first episode of the Roseanne relaunch, when the whole Trump angle was prominently inserted into the scripts. Odd, in that from what I remembered of the original series it wasn't so specifically political with the references made, and when the reboot had Roseanne and Jackie going back and forth about the pros and cons of Trump vs. Hillary my reaction was a bit quizzical in terms of how effective this was as a part of the show.

I liked the relaunch. I wasn't a huge Roseanne fan the first time around in the early to mid 1990s, but at least with the relaunch I thought overall it was a good job bringing everybody back and retaining the spirit, style and humor of the original series. Certainly when thinking of the scope of movies and tv shows that have been rebooted and didn't really work the second time around, I thought the Roseanne reboot lived up to the original.

It isn't hard to imagine ABC took quick, decisive action as a way to get ahead of the ball rather than wait for sponsors to pull out. Had Roseanne not made that particular comment, she'd still have her show. She was working for Disney, thus doubtless there was a morals clause in her contract which included terms that covered social media interaction. I mean, is it so much her being a Trump supporter, or the obvious nastiness of the comment itself? Were she not a Trump supporter, the comment still wouldn't have been appropriate. I think your observation of her overestimation of her importance with the success of the reboot was probably closer to the truth: Roseanne forgot that it isn't 1993 anymore. She hasn't been relevant for the last 20 years, and times - for better, worse or whatever - have changed. Apparently Roseanne forgot to change with them.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The fact that she actually IS a Trump supporter is still hard for me to believe. In 2012, she was too left wing for the GREEN Party. Actually ran in their Presidential primary and lost to Jill Stein. There's a documentary about all of that on Netflix somewhere. Forget the title but it's probably "Roseanne for President" or something close to that.

How do you go from Left of Jill Stein to racist Trumpsucker in 4 years?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    The fact that she actually IS a Trump supporter is still hard for me to believe. In 2012, she was too left wing for the GREEN Party. Actually ran in their Presidential primary and lost to Jill Stein. There's a documentary about all of that on Netflix somewhere. Forget the title but it's probably "Roseanne for President" or something close to that.

How do you go from Left of Jill Stein to racist Trumpsucker in 4 years?
    Comes across to me as somebody who has a hodge-podge of vague ideas and was trying to fit those into established political molds, hence being erratic in the parties she tried to attach her name to.

For me, the surprise comes when thinking about Roseanne's unabashed embrace of gay characters on her show in the 1990s. And not just a brief embrace a la a single "Very Special Episode of Roseanne" appearance, but recurring characters. Thinking back to the 1990s, I can't really recall another show of Roseanne's stature in the ratings that was doing this. Prior to that, you'd get the odd instance like Billy Crystal's character in Soap, but usually these characters were treated as pretty much freaks or novelties.

How does Roseanne go from being socially inclusive on an issue twenty years ago to where she is at today?

It seems to me Obama being elected brought out a lot of racial feelings in a lot of people that they had disciplined themselves to keep just below the surface. I mean, the run up to the 2008 election was nearly as nasty as the bile that surfaced during Trump's candidacy, as watching youtube videos of supporters outside McCain rallies amply demonstrated: once it became apparent that a black man could actually get elected, these feelings could no longer be submerged by these people. They were losing "their" country to a black man...who was a "liberal" to boot!

Even after Obama was elected and in office for a few years and governing as what he turned out to be all along - a middle of the road corporate centrist - you'd still hear how he was a Kenyan Muslim bent on socializing America and turning the nation over to Islamic Fundamentalists. People grasped at anything to confirm that worldview, even when the facts were in direct opposition to it. The notion of "their" country slipping away, and clearly Obama had to be the one who was to blame, even though that die was cast decades before with the encouragement of both major political parties legislating tax cuts for the wealthy, tax subsidies for corporations even while they relocated their companies (and divested their profits) offshore and on and on.

Clearly all of that was Obama's fault. And he wasn't even born in this country!!!! We know that because Donald Trump said so, and Trump has investigators down in Hawaii and is going to come up with the documents to prove it!!! Oh, wait. Obama released his birth certificate...hey, it doesn't have a raised official seal!!!! Trump was right all along!!!!

Cut to 2016: bad enough we had to stomach 8 years of a black man, now we have to stomach a woman?! And THAT woman, to boot?!!? All of this really IS a hexagonal conspiracy, just like Alex Jones said!

A lot of working class folks HAVE been passed by. Technology and globalization doubtless played a role, but wealth stratification is right up there. Politicians of both parties have ensured that those who bankrolled them got the spoils. Same as it has always been. So, in desperation, they voted for a con man. The rationale being that a snowball's chance in hell would be better than no chance at all.

Thread Information