Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Cheeto wants his own military parade.. just like Pooty and Lil Kim have

npr.org
    Trump Wants Pentagon To Stage Military Parade Down Pennsylvania Avenue
    The Two-Way : NPR
    Scott Neuman
    February 7, 20183:26 AM ET

President Trump, apparently inspired by the Bastille Day parade he witnessed last summer during a trip to Paris, has ordered the Pentagon to look into staging something similar — but naturally bigger and better — for Washington, D.C., the White House confirmed Tuesday.

A U.S. official has confirmed the request to NPR. On Tuesday evening, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders shared in a statement that "President Trump is incredibly supportive of America's great service members who risk their lives every day to keep our country safe." She added, "He has asked the Department of Defense to explore a celebration at which all Americans can show their appreciation."

U.S. presidents have long shied away from such displays of military prowess — which typically include tanks, missiles and, in some cases, goose-stepping soldiers — for fear of being compared to Washington's Cold War adversaries, where such displays have traditionally been potent symbols of state power. Those countries include Russia (and, formerly, the Soviet Union), China and North Korea.

"To have a military parade without the end of a war or an inaugural or some big reason in Washington, D.C., that is out of our tradition," presidential historian Michael Beschloss told NPR.

Beschloss points to the 1950s, when Dwight D. Eisenhower was president and Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev presided over large military parades showing off the latest in Soviet military might. Beschloss says some in the White House approached Eisenhower, himself a decorated military general, suggesting the U.S. do the same, to show off American might.

"Eisenhower said absolutely not, we are the preeminent power on Earth," Beschloss says, recalling Eisenhower's response. "For us to try to imitate what the Soviets are doing in Red Square would make us look weak."

While the U.S. puts on various annual July 4 and Veterans Day parades, as The Associated Press notes, those typically do not include such "gaudy displays of military hardware."

The president's wish, first expressed months ago, seems to have gone from a "seemingly abstract desire" to something closer to a presidential directive at a meeting between Trump and top generals last month, according to The Washington Post.

At the Jan. 18 meeting at the Pentagon that included Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., "The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France," a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity was quoted by the Post as saying. "This is being worked at the highest levels of the military."

Back in September at the start of a bilateral meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron, Trump praised the Bastille Day parade and said he was hoping "to do something like that on July 4th in Washington, down Pennsylvania Avenue."

Trump added, "we're going to have to try and top it," explaining that one of his earliest calls upon returning from France last July was to get the wheels turning on an American version, "having a really great parade to show our military strength."

"I'm speaking with Gen. Kelly and with all of the people involved, and we'll see if we can do it this year," Trump said.

Although Trump talked about July 4, a date for such a parade has reportedly not been determined, but the Pentagon prefers Veterans Day in November, according to the Post. The location also has yet to be decided, but the newspaper says the president wants it to proceed along Pennsylvania Avenue, a route that would send it past the White House, the Capitol and the Trump International Hotel.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Bitchin'

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Trump admires dictators, thus Trump is doubtless wondering "where is MY military parade?"

And as the article mentions, there are plenty of 4th Of July parades and Veteran's Day ceremonies already. If Trump wants to host a military parade in D.C. on the 4th of July...whatever. Or on Veteran's Day. I'm hardly a military fetishist, but I'd be fine with either of those.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Maybe something like this?

5. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-08-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

7. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-08-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

It's Trump's envy after seeing the Bastille Day parades of the mighty mighty French military. LOL

One writer said he thinks it's Trump going back to his childhood in the 50's and trying to "make America Eisenhower again". But without all of the annoying dignity and statecraft, and while ironically blowing the Russians...

9. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-08-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

He's also taking the wrong lesson from the Bastille Day parade. He and the other 1% assholes should be remembering what Bastille Day is all about.... and any further comment on that would probably get me a visit from the Men in Black.....

Charcoal Mellowed
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    It's Trump's envy after seeing the Bastille Day parades of the mighty mighty French military. LOL

One writer said he thinks it's Trump going back to his childhood in the 50's and trying to "make America Eisenhower again". But without all of the annoying dignity and statecraft, and while ironically blowing the Russians...
    Even Eisenhower wasn't nearly as much of a military fetishist as Trump is. Or W was. Or Reagan was.

I suppose it was because Eisenhower had actually been in the military for a long time - as opposed to, say, a few years worth of National Guard service...on paper, anyway - thus had a well-rounded view of what the military could (and couldn't) do well and what it should (and shouldn't) be used for.

Even before his Farewell Address, Eisenhower was a bit stingy when it came to the expenditures for national defense. Partly because the US could afford to be back in the 1950s. Also, though, because Eisenhower knew the Joint Chiefs would constantly be asking for more money than they needed to run their branches of service, because that was basically human nature. Eisenhower didn't see the need to spend "a penny more than necessary" for defense, and also knew that more of a deterrent when it comes to missiles doesn't make them more effective as a deterrent: once you have the capacity to blow civilization up, as a practical matter anything you build beyond that is a waste.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is after one year.

Is it treasonous to wonder what year 7 will be like?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping it won't go longer than a single term, thus a year 7 will be moot.

I'm not really seeing much by way of cohesion/inspiration within the Democratic Party to suggest that Trump will definitely lose a reelection campaign, though. When your 2020 hopefuls to beat Trump are Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Oprah Winfrey, methinks you're in trouble.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah..this is a stupid idea..

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even some Republicans think so......

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Even Eisenhower wasn't nearly as much of a military fetishist as Trump is. Or W was. Or Reagan was.

I suppose it was because Eisenhower had actually been in the military for a long time - as opposed to, say, a few years worth of National Guard service...on paper, anyway - thus had a well-rounded view of what the military could (and couldn't) do well and what it should (and shouldn't) be used for.

Even before his Farewell Address, Eisenhower was a bit stingy when it came to the expenditures for national defense. Partly because the US could afford to be back in the 1950s. Also, though, because Eisenhower knew the Joint Chiefs would constantly be asking for more money than they needed to run their branches of service, because that was basically human nature. Eisenhower didn't see the need to spend "a penny more than necessary" for defense, and also knew that more of a deterrent when it comes to missiles doesn't make them more effective as a deterrent: once you have the capacity to blow civilization up, as a practical matter anything you build beyond that is a waste.

Hence his warning about the "Military Industrial Complex". Impressive coming from a retired 5-Star General....

I was stationed in the Pentagon and took my family downtown in DC for the Gulf War parade in 1991. The estimate was 200,000 people attended, and estimated to cost $8 million. 27 years ago.

Trust me, 99% of the military thinks this is a stupid, wasteful idea....

20. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Terry (02-10-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Hence his warning about the "Military Industrial Complex". Impressive coming from a retired 5-Star General....

I was stationed in the Pentagon and took my family downtown in DC for the Gulf War parade in 1991. The estimate was 200,000 people attended, and estimated to cost $8 million. 27 years ago.

Trust me, 99% of the military thinks this is a stupid, wasteful idea....
    I found one comment (I can't remember offhand who made it) in response to this idea interesting, in that it's the countries who lack confidence in their military abilities or feel they have something to prove to the rest of the world, THOSE are the countries who have massive military parades not tied to celebrating a specific victory. That the countries who KNOW they have superior militaries relative to the rest of the world have no need for such public displays.

For all the campaign rhetoric (which has been perpetually going on since at least the late 1970s from my own personal memory) about how our military is underfunded or how we need to build it up again, one thing America still has is military superiority over virtually everyone else in the world. We know it, and so does everybody else.

And I've never hear ANYBODY actually serving in a military capacity saying that they feel they've been cheated by a lack of parades celebrating the military.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It gets the public used to seeing tanks in the streets...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

The ex-SEAL that shot Bin Laden is calling this all "third-world shit!" It's almost universally panned and shows what an out-of-touch idiot Trump is...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Funny..I have always thought the stealth of our military is a huge advantage..Bin-Laden anyone?

Thread Information