King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

So...if the kid pulled the fire alarm, waited for everyone to evacuate, and then mowed students down with his mother's minivan we'd be calling for automobile control. Right?

If there aren't any guns, the nutjobs that want to inflict that much damage at once will just have to plan better and use a different tool.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 02-19-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Looks like the NRA and Trump fucked with the wrong high school
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    The left is so cucked;

99% of ALL AK-47s and AR-15 that the American people own are NOT "Assault weapons" they are Semi-Auto rifles, 1 pull of the trigger and 1 round is fired. Fully Auto which are "Assault weapons" if you press and hold the trigger it will continue to fire until you release the trigger or you run out of ammo. Big difference. HUUUUGE diference....
    Oh I see. Children die slower with one pull of the trigger. Go fuck your F A T ass with and AIDS infected chainsaw and stream it live on Twitch you stupid fuck.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    So...if the kid pulled the fire alarm, waited for everyone to evacuate, and then mowed students down with his mother's minivan we'd be calling for automobile control. Right?
    You have to have a license and insurance to operate a vehicle. And you have to pass a test proving you can properly do so, before you can get the license. And if you kill people with your car - even if it's not intentional - odds are you'll lose both the license and the insurance.... or the insurance will be so expensive you won't be able to afford it.

A car CAN kill, but that's not it's designed purpose. If the above precautions are required for cars, why should they not be for guns, which ONLY exist for the purpose of killing?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    You have to have a license and insurance to operate a vehicle. And you have to pass a test proving you can properly do so, before you can get the license.
    Don't be stupid. I sold insurance for Progressive and talked to multiple people daily who had gotten tickets for being under suspension or not having a license at all. Many more who were driving without insurance. How many out there aren't getting caught?
    Last edited by twonabomber; 02-19-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Oh I see. Children die slower with one pull of the trigger. Go fuck your F A T ass with and AIDS infected chainsaw and stream it live on Twitch you stupid fuck.
    you don't really want my attention, do you pussy in boots?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

If there aren't any guns, the nutjobs that want to inflict that much damage at once will just have to plan better and use a different tool.

Why is it that people like yourself don't want to stop nutjobs having guns?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Don't be stupid. I sold insurance for Progressive and talked to multiple people daily who had gotten tickets for being under suspension or not having a license at all. Many more who were driving without insurance. How many out there aren't getting caught?
    If they're driving without getting caught, that probably means they are driving very carefully. Which ironically serves the same purpose (aside from robbing the state and the insurance company of money). I know people who have done that too. One of my friends actually had a number of DWI's and we took his keys away from him.... only to find out the dumbass could start his car with a fucking screwdriver. So we finally took his car!.

It happens, but again, that's the outlier, as opposed to the proper way the system functions. Eventually he did have to get one of those breathalyzer ignition lock things. He's dead now, but not from a car wreck or anything directly alcohol related.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Why is it that people like yourself don't want to stop nutjobs having guns?

I'm against nutjobs being out among the general public to begin with!

Today they're saying OMG he bought ten rifles in the last year. Obviously there is something wrong with the background check if mentally ill people are passing it. How do they get around HIPPA? Every proposal seems to target all buyers, which is never going to work. Pass all the laws you want, in five, ten years this will still be going on, and a hundred year old Nancy Pelosi will be sitting there trying to figure out why it's still happening. "But we passed LAWS!"

You're going to trust people to turn in their banned weapons? LOL. How many illegal guns are already floating around out there in major urban areas, in the hands of felons? Those guys don't even turn them in to police buybacks that give away cash or gift cards.

And I don't believe the "we took God out of schools" argument, either. Three years of Catholic school fucked me up more than the rest of my public school education did.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If they're driving without getting caught, that probably means they are driving very carefully. Which ironically serves the same purpose (aside from robbing the state and the insurance company of money). I know people who have done that too. One of my friends actually had a number of DWI's and we took his keys away from him.... only to find out the dumbass could start his car with a fucking screwdriver. So we finally took his car!.

It happens, but again, that's the outlier, as opposed to the proper way the system functions. Eventually he did have to get one of those breathalyzer ignition lock things. He's dead now, but not from a car wreck or anything directly alcohol related.
    These shooters are the outliers. Until there is a way to flush them out, this is going to happen. That's the problem that needs to be solved. Punishing law abiding gun owners isn't going to work.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 02-19-2018 at 09:14 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm against nutjobs being out among the general public to begin with!

Today they're saying OMG he bought ten rifles in the last year. Obviously there is something wrong with the background check if mentally ill people are passing it. How do they get around HIPPA? Every proposal seems to target all buyers, which is never going to work. Pass all the laws you want, in five, ten years this will still be going on, and a hundred year old Nancy Pelosi will be sitting there trying to figure out why it's still happening. "But we passed LAWS!"

You're going to trust people to turn in their banned weapons? LOL. How many illegal guns are already floating around out there in major urban areas, in the hands of felons? Those guys don't even turn them in to police buybacks that give away cash or gift cards.

And I don't believe the "we took God out of schools" argument, either. Three years of Catholic school fucked me up more than the rest of my public school education did.
    I agree usually reactive legislation can be a bad thing whereby you make a law because of a single incident, I agree in the US it will take a lot longer to improve things than in the UK and Australia because there are so many out there and you won't get an argument from me about the church somehow helping.

Saying though that guns don't kill people or that they would use another method isn't a great argument. The counter would be why not legalize portable nukes?

People are stupid and lazy. Nutjobs often stupid too as are fortunately most criminals and terrorists. The US homicide and suicide rates are incredibly high and everything points to being largely related to having killing machines readily available. All this shit about fire rates and whatever is moot. It's people starting from a fixed position and then trying to argue it as best you can. When you have a bunch of dead children then that kind of aces any of that.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

"One wonders indeed, if the rising crime rate, isn’t due as much as anything to the criminal’s instinctive knowledge that the average victim no longer has means of self-protection.

It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

btw, see sig line...
    Another jerkoff blanket dismissal. The fact that a mentally ill 18-year old can buy an AR-15 in your shithole state with absolutely no questions asked is completely fucking befuddling.

13. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (02-21-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The left is so cucked;

99% of ALL AK-47s and AR-15 that the American people own are NOT "Assault weapons" they are Semi-Auto rifles, 1 pull of the trigger and 1 round is fired. Fully Auto which are "Assault weapons" if you press and hold the trigger it will continue to fire until you release the trigger or you run out of ammo. Big difference. HUUUUGE diference....

Then WTF are they? Whiz bang fun guns? I was trained in the Army NOT to use full auto and they went to three-round-burst on the M-16A2 (shitty idea but I digress) because semi is more accurate and doesn't melt your fucking barrel as fast. They are weapons capable of putting out accurate mass fire. who gives a fuck whether it's cyclic or semi?

NRA semantics on not being "assault weapons" and not "laundering money" from Russian "tyrants"...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here’s what I can answer off the top of my head.

San Bernardino, California, first- and second-generation Pakistani immigrants Tashfeen Malik and Syed Farook -- 14 dead

Fort Hood, Texas, Palestinian second-generation immigrant Nidal Hasan -- 13 dead

Binghamton, New York, Vietnamese immigrant Jiverly Wong -- 13 dead;

Virginia Tech, South Korean immigrant Seung-Hui Cho -- 32 dead.

Orlando, Florida, second-generation Afghan immigrant Omar Mateen -- 49 dead

Not to forget: Oregon Community College, a mixed-race, half-black immigrant, Chris Harper-Mercer. -- 9 dead

Sunny Santa Barbara, CA mixed-race immigrant, Elliot Rodger, mass murder at a college campus – 7 dead

Carson City, NV, Illegal Mexicn Eduardo Sencion, IHOP killer used F&F weapon --11 dead

Miami, FL Kesler Dufrene, Haitian immigrant, freed after the B Hole Ubama Administration halted deportations -- 3 dead

Chicago, ILL Salvador Tapia, Mexican immigrant - 6 dead

So maybe some sort of immigration law that can be applied by the president right at this moment????

Have we ever tried that before? I can't remember? Impose a ban on entering the USA?

Why the fuck does that sound familiar?
    Yup, and the NRA cocks you beat off too fully support terrorists rights to buy a .50-caliber sniper rifle. But it's okay when mentally ill white men murder children but not muslims? Are you fucking insane?

16. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Etienne (02-24-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We actually have a lot of "automobile control". Far more so than guns in some states...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The leader of the free world, everybody:

"Bring me your children America, I'll be happy to murder them."

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    you don't really want my attention, do you pussy in boots?
    Maybe. If I can put my boot up your F A T asshole until it comes out of your esophagus.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hippy

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was long gone by the time Flo showed up.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Maybe. If I can put my boot up your F A T asshole until it comes out of your esophagus.
    It would be funny for a woman like you with all that hail damage all over your ass to try and lift your leg and put it in somebody's ass. You may want to practice that first. I live kinda far away from Colorado but I just bet there's an ass out there for you to stick your foot in repeatedly. If not, we'll put an ad on Craigslist for you. I'll get that started for you here shortly. What's your real address, Beavercreek?

Anyway, just to follow up: Why wasn't Helen Keller able to drive?
    She was a woman...

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Then WTF are they? Whiz bang fun guns? I was trained in the Army NOT to use full auto and they went to three-round-burst on the M-16A2 (shitty idea but I digress) because semi is more accurate and doesn't melt your fucking barrel as fast. They are weapons capable of putting out accurate mass fire. who gives a fuck whether it's cyclic or semi?

NRA semantics on not being "assault weapons" and not "laundering money" from Russian "tyrants"...
    Wow, a tried-and-true leftist trying to outgun me.

So Prof. do you buy your high-powered scopes at Kroger? You get any kind of teachers discount?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's how we beat the gun lobby

FORD -

Speaking is still physically difficult for me, but my feelings are clear: I am furious.

We have watched, time and time again, as people describe these mass shootings as unimaginable and unpreventable acts of evil.

But we all know that is not true.

We have seen them before, and we will see them again. And what angers me most is that Congress knows how to solve this problem.

Bernie Sanders has fought to reduce the epidemic levels of gun violence in this country. And at the end of the day, both of us know that the root of this issue lies in the outrageous amounts of money the corporate gun lobby spends buying candidates and elected officials.

So if we want to change the equation, that means Congress must realize they have more to fear from all of us standing together and acting than they do from the gun lobby's money.

That starts with all of us making our voices heard. So today I am asking you to do something important, Ford, I am asking you to take my pledge.

Sign my pledge: "I promise that I will Vote Courage in November and support candidates who will stand up to the gun lobby and take action to make our communities safer from gun violence."

For decades now, the gun lobby has used its power and influence to instill fear into the hearts of legislators in Congress and state capitals across our country.

But that fear is nothing like what those students fleeing Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School must have felt as they ran out of the building with their hands in the air as officers ran toward them with their guns drawn.

That fear is nothing like what the children and teachers must have felt at Sandy Hook Elementary School, or the club goers felt in Orlando, or the holiday party attendees felt in San Bernardino as shots rang out all around them.

What those legislators who vote to put the profits of manufacturers ahead of the safety of our communities really feel is cowardice.

They look at the most benign and practical solutions offered by moderates from each party and then they look over their shoulder at the powerful, shadowy gun lobby and choose to do nothing.

This November, we are going to vote them out. But it will only happen if we stand together. And that starts with making your voice heard.

Join me and Senator Bernie Sanders. Pledge to Vote Courage in 2018:

https://go.berniesanders.com/gabbys-pledge

We do not have to accept these horrific acts of violence as routine, and we must never stop demanding that our leaders not only acknowledge this devastating problem, but take long overdue action to keep our children safe.

If Congress won't act, the American voters must.

All my best,

Gabby Giffords

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yup, and the NRA cocks you beat off too fully support terrorists rights to buy a .50-caliber sniper rifle. But it's okay when mentally ill white men murder children but not muslims? Are you fucking insane?
    And the cucks can't help it.

In the last decade, about a half dozen white males committed mass murders in their own country. I give you line after line of true statistics and all you want to do is watch the NRA beat off. As for the white males, all these assholes never been let out of a straitjacket.

Let me really explain why you're an idiot. Really an idiot. It's not your fault entirely. It's just you're too stupid to find the truth and come to the right conclusion even though it doesn't go along with your leftst politically correct narrative and ideology.

Here's a fine example of real truth and how it was characterized to protect an "immigrant".

What you're missing about the white males is that their psychotic acts wouldn't even count as mass shootings if they had been committed by immigrants. Remember back in 2006 when the muslim Naveed Haq had his mass shooting at the Seattle Jewish Federation?

This mass shooting isn't included on lists of terrorist attacks due to the fact he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was on lithium. According to mom and dad.

While you and the rest of the posers pretend to care about children, mass shootings, and mental illness me and the NRA are headed to Dallas.
    Last edited by jacksmar; 02-20-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

All my best,

Gabby Giffords

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Only a true asshole would try to villainize a victim of Republican gun nut TERRORISM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh, and speaking of victims of RWNJ gun nut terrorists, here's your own JellyBean Messiah on the subject of assault weapons....

Perhaps actually being shot by a lunatic with a gun gave him a more logical perspective?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Even Pat fucking Robertson has finally had enough.....

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh, and speaking of victims of RWNJ gun nut terrorists, here's your own JellyBean Messiah on the subject of assault weapons....

Perhaps actually being shot by a lunatic with a gun gave him a more logical perspective?
    No, it gave him Jim Brady's perspective. You want a lesson on this too, TARD? This video was RR's reaction to the Stockton school shooting. Your memory is as short as your IQ.

The AK-47 used was a semi auto rifle. So not only was his terminology wrong, Reagan's premise was wrong. Ultimately, in later years, the buyers for the AK-47 were legal owners. The AK's coming across the southern border that were going to drug lords dried up due to the legal purchase demand.

This pissed off a guy named Noriega. But I'm sure you remember all about those Colombian drug lords. And you can give us your RNC and pappy Bush lines now. It sure is extra pleasant chatting with such knowledgeable commie lib folk.

Ah, knowing I participated in a Just Cause...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wow, a tried-and-true leftist trying to outgun me.

So Prof. do you buy your high-powered scopes at Kroger? You get any kind of teachers discount?
    I just get a discount from your mom...

BTW, outgun or out-drink you? Do you wield guns half in the bag? It seems consistent with your previous history...

And BTW, I know more about guns than you ever will you pussy!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-21-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And the cucks can't help it.

In the last decade, about a half dozen white males committed mass murders in their own country. I give you line after line of true statistics and all you want to do is watch the NRA beat off. As for the white males, all these assholes never been let out of a straitjacket.

Let me really explain why you're an idiot. Really an idiot. It's not your fault entirely. It's just you're too stupid to find the truth and come to the right conclusion even though it doesn't go along with your leftst politically correct narrative and ideology.

Here's a fine example of real truth and how it was characterized to protect an "immigrant".
    Okay, what "immigrants" have conducted mass shootings? Were the people less dead when white 'mericans murdered them?

What you're missing about the white males is that their psychotic acts wouldn't even count as mass shootings if they had been committed by immigrants. Remember back in 2006 when the muslim Naveed Haq had his mass shooting at the Seattle Jewish Federation?
    It's hard to keep up because there are so many mass shootings these days. But that sort of fucks your white male drunk who can't get laid and loves KIZZ narrative. doesn't it?

This mass shooting isn't included on lists of terrorist attacks due to the fact he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was on lithium. According to mom and dad.
    Um, okay, so it's easy for immigrant "terrorists" and mentally ill white males to get guns. Is this really your "narrative"? Really?

While you and the rest of the posers pretend to care about children, mass shootings, and mental illness me and the NRA are headed to Dallas.
    To make sure that more mentally ill people and immigrant potential terrorists have access to firearms with no checks whatsoever...

And to launder money from Russia for any Repubican't politician that blows them and sucks like a $10 whore!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-21-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah, knowing I participated in a Just Cause...
    Good for you! I'm pretty sure you were hiding deep in the rear...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good for you! I'm pretty sure you were hiding deep in the rear...
    Nick dnile, you're so deep up the rear you don't know the shit you're saying. I'm really laughing at your commie Lib thinking Prof. If you had an ounce of intelligence or a fly spec of integrity you may have come to the conclusion that may have been part of the reason I might not have wanted to head over to Iraq.

But you're really not that smart. You really are the typical useful idiot cuckold too old to be antifa and too young to be an ex hippie.

Don't bother trying to outgun me. jerksmear way back in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOorjOVjBoU
    Last edited by jacksmar; 02-21-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FIXED: Congress act on gun control

All my best,

Gabby Giffords

Gabby, we need more gun control like a person would need another hole in their head.
    All the best,
    jerksmear

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,491 Posts

Blog Entries
    FIXED: Congress act on gun control

All my best,

Gabby Giffords

Gabby, we need more gun control like a person would need another hole in their head.
    All the best,
    jerksmear
    Jesus, dude...

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How Florida citizens protect each other

https://www.local10.com/news/florida...c-deputies-say

Tamarac homeowner kills man trying to break into his car, deputies say
    Walder Saintelus had been stealing from cars in neighborhood, officials say

TAMARAC, Fla. - A 22-year-old man trying to steal from cars in Tamarac was shot and killed early Saturday morning after a homeowner confronted him, authorities said.

Keyla Concepcion, a spokeswoman for the Broward County Sheriff's Office, said Frank Johnston, 64, was walking his dog around 5 a.m. when he saw Walder Saintelus breaking into his neighbors' cars in the 9500 block of Northwest 82nd Street.
    More Headlines

Concepcion said Johnston then went inside his home and called the police, but when Saintelus moved on to his car, Johnston confronted him.

Johnston and Saintelus got into a fight, which ended with Johnston fatally shooting Saintelus, Concepcion said.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Jesus, dude...
    Terry, I am actually more offended by the shooting at the plantation high school by the typical ineffective leftist mantra and ideology than anyone here would care to know.
    My tribute band played the same plantation stage where the students held their tribute.
    Prior to the show I took pictures with a bunch of families consisting of beautiful young children who only wanted a T-shirt and a guitar pick and a picture. I can only wonder if one of those kids was one of the kids was injured or killed.

Typical assumptions made here piss me off to the 10th power.

Tonight I'm not gonna be silent about it.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/deadly-par...opstories.html

After deadly Parkland shooting, deputies will now carry AR-15 rifles on school grounds, sheriff says

Broward County sheriff's deputies will now carry AR-15 rifles while on school campuses following the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, last week, Sheriff Scott Israel announced today.

The new policy was implemented Wednesday morning. In lieu of gun lockers, the only time deputies will not be "slinging a rifle" is when the firearm is locked in police vehicles, Israel said.

The rifles will not be fully automatic and will only be handled by deputies who are "trained and qualified" to operate them, Israel said.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm really surprised the Plain Dealer ran this column, they're about as anti-gun as it gets.

Scream for gun control if you like, but it won't fix the problem
    By Ted Diadiun, cleveland.com

It is a sign of the times that in the wake of the devastating shooting in Parkland, Fla. last Wednesday, an essay in the New Yorker magazine approvingly quoted a high school sophomore who had posted the following tweet in response to President Donald Trump's expressions of sympathy:

"I don't want your condolences you f---ing piece of s---, my friends and teachers were shot," wrote the 16-year-old girl to the president of the United States. "Multiple of my fellow classmates are dead. Do something instead of sending prayers. Prayers won't fix this. But Gun control will prevent it from happening again."

Even considering the tragic circumstances that produced her comment, I found the words stunning, a stark example of our current profane and unrestrained era of instant communication. Not everyone saw it that way, of course: By the time the girl took the comment down the following day, it had drawn 346,000-some likes, and been retweeted more than 144,000 times.

Whew.

Now, there's little point in chastising a grieving kid, whatever we think of her attitude and vocabulary. She's young enough so that she likely took her cue from those whose approach to the problem she parrots. But her tweet - and the reaction it produced -- is a symptom of the divisive and combative society we have created for ourselves.

And, of our futile search for simple solutions to complicated problems.

People have every right to be angry in the wake of a school shooting. Anger is worse than useless, however, if it's directed only at targets that fit our political prejudices.

Consider: The attack on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was carried out by a 19-year-old who had long been identified by many who knew him as a danger to himself and others. The FBI had been alerted and the school administration had been warned.

But after the shooting, did the ire of the media and half the people in the country focus on Nikolas Cruz, the one who actually killed those 17 people? Was it directed toward the adult who saw him heading into the school that day and failed to stop him? Did it settle on the FBI agents who had been told of the multiple warning signs Cruz had exhibited and didn't follow up?

No. Instead, many people instinctively and profanely pointed accusing fingers at Congress and the president, demanding that the elected officials do what the high school sophomore had demanded in her tweet to the president:

Something.

OK. But what?

Gun control, she and others have said.

OK. But just how would that work, exactly?

Ban assault weapons, many have suggested.

OK. But an exhaustive Washington Post story a couple of years ago estimated that as of 2013, we had more than 357 million privately owned guns across 37 percent (45 million) of U.S. households. Of these, about 8 million are AR-15 type semi-automatic rifles - the so-called "assault weapon" used by Cruz in Florida.

According to FBI crime statistics, slightly more than 11,000 people were murdered by firearms in 2016. How many do you think were killed by rifles - including, but not limited to, semi-automatics?

The answer is 374. Most of the others were from handguns. Ask yourself: Would an assault weapon ban have saved even those 374 lives? Or would many of the victims have been shot by some other weapon if a rifle had not been available?

So, then, should we ban sales of all handguns also? If we did all that tomorrow, there would still be 300-plus million of them out there, in addition to the 8 million "assault weapons," plus shotguns and other assorted firearms. Banning gun sales would do nothing more than create a massive black market for weapons of all types.

Should we instead try to collect them all? All 357 million? How would we do that?

Certainly, Cruz acquired the weapon he used far too easily. A more rigorous background check might have prevented his purchase given his background of mental problems, as would a law raising the legal age for purchasing a rifle to 21, as it is with handguns. Does anyone believe that would have kept him from getting his hands on a firearm?

The fact is, no matter how many gun control measures our legislators enact, there is no way they are going to control the guns we already have.

What we need to control are the people who want to pull the trigger. With 357 million triggers out there, those demented few will find one to pull if we don't stop them. But of course, focusing our energy on that is a lot more complicated than shouting for gun control and cursing at people who believe it's not that simple.

So go ahead: March. Lie down. Chant. Carry signs. Donate money to anti-gun causes. Scream at our elected officials for not fixing the problem if you want. Vote against any legislator who has received money from the National Rifle Association if it makes you feel better.

But don't delude yourself into thinking any of that will solve the problem.

It will not.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Terry, I am actually more offended by the shooting at the plantation high school by the typical ineffective leftist mantra and ideology than anyone here would care to know.
    From now on try replacing the phrase 'ineffective leftist mantra' with 'every other developed country in the world'.

Thread Information