X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • private parts
    Sniper
    • Jan 2007

My New EVH Wolfgang Standard

Got this baby Friday. I love how this guitar feels - neck feels like silk.
    I am not a shredder yet (actually more of a beginner / intermediate level player),
    but this thing has me inspired!

Had a couple of friends of mine put it through its paces this weekend and they loved it.

Was originally looking at the black burst color until I saw this very, very unique blue burst. Note the "monster" face in the maple quilt between the pick-ups.
    That sold me.

ICE1700895-front-xlarge.jpg
    sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

For whatever reason I haven't seen many posts on here saying this but EVH stuff is really fucking good and often super great value.

I'm told you can easily use the new 15W amp in a rehearsal room with a loud played acoustic drum kit which is surprising and amazing.

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've been looking at the snow white Wolfgang Standards. Looks like it might have been discuntinued after only a year.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

What about this?

Description: Fully Loaded Official EVH Wolfgang Standard Floyd Rose Body- Basswood w/ Maple Top- Rear Route- EVH Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo- Savage EVH Humbuckers (Bridge & Neck)- 1 Volume Knob, 1 Tone Knob- 3 Position Toggle Switch- 6 lbs, 4 oz Color: Snow White Condition...

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I've thought about something like that. Maybe a Warmoth neck.

I am really enjoying that FRM though. Not ready to anoint it as The One, but damn it's good.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• private parts
            Sniper
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            For whatever reason I haven't seen many posts on here saying this but EVH stuff is really fucking good and often super great value.

I'm told you can easily use the new 15W amp in a rehearsal room with a loud played acoustic drum kit which is surprising and amazing.
            The WG standard is an incredible value. Many say it plays better than the more expensive Specials. $599.00! Most of the amps get fantastic reviews but they seem pricey to me. But probably worth the $

Check out some of the EVH GEAR vids on YT.

Comment

• private parts
              Sniper
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by twonabomber
              I've been looking at the snow white Wolfgang Standards. Looks like it might have been discuntinued after only a year.
              They have a lefty you can order at sweetwater......

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by private parts
                They have a lefty you can order at sweetwater......
                I can barely play right handed, I'm not going to attempt it lefty

Comment

• private parts
                  Sniper
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by twonabomber
                  I can barely play right handed, I'm not going to attempt it lefty
                  Yes, no sence making things any harder. Wonder if Sweetwater can track one down for you. Those guys are awesome in the customer service department. Just ask to speak to their top "sales engineer".

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Yes, no sence making things any harder. Wonder if Sweetwater can track one down for you. Those guys are awesome in the customer service department. Just ask to speak to their top "sales engineer".
                    Sweetwater is great. I ordered some parts and they emailed and called me to tell me they are on backorder and it probably would be a while before they came in. It took even longer than they had thought and they would shoot me emails informing me. It was a $50 order but they treated me like I had ordered a few thousand dollars worth of gear. Great music retailer hands down!
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The WG standard is an incredible value. Many say it plays better than the more expensive Specials. $599.00! Most of the amps get fantastic reviews but they seem pricey to me. But probably worth the $

Check out some of the EVH GEAR vids on YT.
                      I listened to James Brown on Tone Talk. He designed the 5150 series amps at Peavey. Someone asked him if he had tried the Fender built 5150 amps and he said he hadn't but he knew some of the people on the development team and they were good. James just said this. He said he got to know Eddie pretty well and he said the man doesn't sign off on anything unless he's sure it's good and he himself would be happy with it. I had one of the Korean made Peavey Wolfgangs and it was a great sounding and playing guitar. I even opened it up and the wiring and electronics were top notch. A lot of what you are saving on is the cost and labor of manufacture. It's a lot more expensive to make a guitar in California. Sure the US made models are fancier and are more expensive to make. You also are paying a premium to have a product made at Fender USA instead of Mexico or made by a ghost builder like Sammick in Korea. The bottom line really is the guitar a good playing guitar? For the most part I've been happy with the EVH line of gear. I ended up buying a EVH speaker cab because it was less money than a Marshall cab. My main amp right now is a Marshall Vintage Modern but I'm playing it through a EVH cab. Sounds great!

Comment

• private parts
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2007

Sweetwater did my setup and it just feels really nice and the neck is so smooth. Body really comfortable.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          I had one of the Korean made Peavey Wolfgangs and it was a great sounding and playing guitar. I even opened it up and the wiring and electronics were top notch. A lot of what you are saving on is the cost and labor of manufacture. It's a lot more expensive to make a guitar in California. Sure the US made models are fancier and are more expensive to make. You also are paying a premium to have a product made at Fender USA instead of Mexico or made by a ghost builder like Sammick in Korea. The bottom line really is the guitar a good playing guitar?
                          Agreed I don't think there are any countries you can now dismiss as being universally shitty. I have a nice Korean made Schecter and this week picked up a really Yamaha APXIII on EBay and just noticed it is made in China which was my one remaining alarm bell country.

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I have a sales engineer. If I buy anything it's online, I've never talked to the guy. I bought my System 8 from Sweetwater a year ago, and some Duncans for my Ravelle a few weeks ago.

Agreed I don't think there are any countries you can now dismiss as being universally shitty. I have a nice Korean made Schecter and this week picked up a really Yamaha APXIII on EBay and just noticed it is made in China which was my one remaining alarm bell country.
                            The OLP EVH/Axis knockoffs I have are Chinese. I spent under $200 for the first one, with the intent of striping it. Started playing it and it's not too bad for a sub $200 piece. Definitely not worried about scratching it up.

My Ravelle is Chinese, I put the Duncans (JB bridge, Jazz neck) in it and I think I'm going to have a pro set it up. I got it off Amazon and I'm sure no one had set it up. The Fireman I just got is also Chinese, I don't know if Ibanez has their own plant there but it is damn near perfect.

And don't forget the Marshalls that are made in Vietnam...
                            Last edited by twonabomber; 03-08-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I bought a Chinese made Squire precision bass just to fool around with and it's actually a great sounding and playing instrument. It's all about making wood parts to tolerances that they fit together tight and then some people who can do some hand work. They have people in China who can do amazing wood and jade carvings and make nice furniture. Those kind of people can make a good guitar if someone who knows what they are doing shows them how. What China sells the world is slave labor. That's the sad truth of it. It's one big plantation. Slavery never went away. We just exported it. What the Chinese never have figured out is how to make good booze. The hard liquor over there tastes like you are drinking the formaldehyde out of a biology lab sample.
                              Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...