PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My New EVH Wolfgang Standard

Got this baby Friday. I love how this guitar feels - neck feels like silk.
    I am not a shredder yet (actually more of a beginner / intermediate level player),
    but this thing has me inspired!

Had a couple of friends of mine put it through its paces this weekend and they loved it.

Was originally looking at the black burst color until I saw this very, very unique blue burst. Note the "monster" face in the maple quilt between the pick-ups.
    That sold me.

ICE1700895-front-xlarge.jpg
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to private parts for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (03-05-2018),VAiN (03-24-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

For whatever reason I haven't seen many posts on here saying this but EVH stuff is really fucking good and often super great value.

I'm told you can easily use the new 15W amp in a rehearsal room with a loud played acoustic drum kit which is surprising and amazing.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

I've been looking at the snow white Wolfgang Standards. Looks like it might have been discuntinued after only a year.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've thought about something like that. Maybe a Warmoth neck.

I am really enjoying that FRM though. Not ready to anoint it as The One, but damn it's good.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    For whatever reason I haven't seen many posts on here saying this but EVH stuff is really fucking good and often super great value.

I'm told you can easily use the new 15W amp in a rehearsal room with a loud played acoustic drum kit which is surprising and amazing.
    The WG standard is an incredible value. Many say it plays better than the more expensive Specials. $599.00! Most of the amps get fantastic reviews but they seem pricey to me. But probably worth the $

Check out some of the EVH GEAR vids on YT.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I've been looking at the snow white Wolfgang Standards. Looks like it might have been discuntinued after only a year.
    They have a lefty you can order at sweetwater......

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    They have a lefty you can order at sweetwater......
    I can barely play right handed, I'm not going to attempt it lefty

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can barely play right handed, I'm not going to attempt it lefty
    Yes, no sence making things any harder. Wonder if Sweetwater can track one down for you. Those guys are awesome in the customer service department. Just ask to speak to their top "sales engineer".

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yes, no sence making things any harder. Wonder if Sweetwater can track one down for you. Those guys are awesome in the customer service department. Just ask to speak to their top "sales engineer".
    Sweetwater is great. I ordered some parts and they emailed and called me to tell me they are on backorder and it probably would be a while before they came in. It took even longer than they had thought and they would shoot me emails informing me. It was a $50 order but they treated me like I had ordered a few thousand dollars worth of gear. Great music retailer hands down!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The WG standard is an incredible value. Many say it plays better than the more expensive Specials. $599.00! Most of the amps get fantastic reviews but they seem pricey to me. But probably worth the $

Check out some of the EVH GEAR vids on YT.
    I listened to James Brown on Tone Talk. He designed the 5150 series amps at Peavey. Someone asked him if he had tried the Fender built 5150 amps and he said he hadn't but he knew some of the people on the development team and they were good. James just said this. He said he got to know Eddie pretty well and he said the man doesn't sign off on anything unless he's sure it's good and he himself would be happy with it. I had one of the Korean made Peavey Wolfgangs and it was a great sounding and playing guitar. I even opened it up and the wiring and electronics were top notch. A lot of what you are saving on is the cost and labor of manufacture. It's a lot more expensive to make a guitar in California. Sure the US made models are fancier and are more expensive to make. You also are paying a premium to have a product made at Fender USA instead of Mexico or made by a ghost builder like Sammick in Korea. The bottom line really is the guitar a good playing guitar? For the most part I've been happy with the EVH line of gear. I ended up buying a EVH speaker cab because it was less money than a Marshall cab. My main amp right now is a Marshall Vintage Modern but I'm playing it through a EVH cab. Sounds great!

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sweetwater did my setup and it just feels really nice and the neck is so smooth. Body really comfortable.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I had one of the Korean made Peavey Wolfgangs and it was a great sounding and playing guitar. I even opened it up and the wiring and electronics were top notch. A lot of what you are saving on is the cost and labor of manufacture. It's a lot more expensive to make a guitar in California. Sure the US made models are fancier and are more expensive to make. You also are paying a premium to have a product made at Fender USA instead of Mexico or made by a ghost builder like Sammick in Korea. The bottom line really is the guitar a good playing guitar?
    Agreed I don't think there are any countries you can now dismiss as being universally shitty. I have a nice Korean made Schecter and this week picked up a really Yamaha APXIII on EBay and just noticed it is made in China which was my one remaining alarm bell country.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have a sales engineer. If I buy anything it's online, I've never talked to the guy. I bought my System 8 from Sweetwater a year ago, and some Duncans for my Ravelle a few weeks ago.

Agreed I don't think there are any countries you can now dismiss as being universally shitty. I have a nice Korean made Schecter and this week picked up a really Yamaha APXIII on EBay and just noticed it is made in China which was my one remaining alarm bell country.
    The OLP EVH/Axis knockoffs I have are Chinese. I spent under $200 for the first one, with the intent of striping it. Started playing it and it's not too bad for a sub $200 piece. Definitely not worried about scratching it up.

My Ravelle is Chinese, I put the Duncans (JB bridge, Jazz neck) in it and I think I'm going to have a pro set it up. I got it off Amazon and I'm sure no one had set it up. The Fireman I just got is also Chinese, I don't know if Ibanez has their own plant there but it is damn near perfect.

And don't forget the Marshalls that are made in Vietnam...
    Last edited by twonabomber; 03-08-2018 at 08:01 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I bought a Chinese made Squire precision bass just to fool around with and it's actually a great sounding and playing instrument. It's all about making wood parts to tolerances that they fit together tight and then some people who can do some hand work. They have people in China who can do amazing wood and jade carvings and make nice furniture. Those kind of people can make a good guitar if someone who knows what they are doing shows them how. What China sells the world is slave labor. That's the sad truth of it. It's one big plantation. Slavery never went away. We just exported it. What the Chinese never have figured out is how to make good booze. The hard liquor over there tastes like you are drinking the formaldehyde out of a biology lab sample.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have a sales engineer. If I buy anything it's online, I've never talked to the guy. I bought my System 8 from Sweetwater a year ago, and some Duncans for my Ravelle a few weeks ago.

The OLP EVH/Axis knockoffs I have are Chinese. I spent under $200 for the first one, with the intent of striping it. Started playing it and it's not too bad for a sub $200 piece. Definitely not worried about scratching it up.

My Ravelle is Chinese, I put the Duncans (JB bridge, Jazz neck) in it and I think I'm going to have a pro set it up. I got it off Amazon and I'm sure no one had set it up. The Fireman I just got is also Chinese, I don't know if Ibanez has their own plant there but it is damn near perfect.

And don't forget the Marshalls that are made in Vietnam...
    Bought a Marshall DSL made in Vietnam. I have Marshalls made in the UK. I really can't tell the difference other than the Vietnam made amp has screws instead of rivets on the protective corners and the vinyl covering is a bit different. Inside the amp the parts and circuit boards look the same. They very well could be the same. Just those components were assembled in Vietnam other than the UK and a line worker is cheaper Vietnam.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Been doing some reading on China's economy and they really do need to transition from being an export economy to paying their people more and selling to their own domestic base. The problem is the government is still authoritarian and Xi Jinping wanting to be dictator for life just shows the mindset of who runs the place. Most the factories for export in China are owned by foreigners. What the Chinese government runs and owns is military stuff and consumer stuff nobody wants to buy. It's a weird mix of communism and capitalism but the old communist guard doesn't want to give up their old ways. You are going to see other countries start to replace China as the world's producer because China is going to have serious internal problems. We are going to see lots of civil unrest in China in the future.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who picked up a Jet City HDM 100 amp for $500. We hooked it up through my EVH cab and man that thing sounded great. I always liked the Soldano SLO 100 but they are expensive and the Jet City is a Chinese made amp designed by Mike Soldano. It sounded like a Soldano but gave you the option to go half power if you want. One channel is classic rock crunch and the other is high gain. I liked it. If you can score one cheap it's a good alternative to a 5150. In some ways I liked the Jet City better.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would buy a chinese made guitar. I just don't buy anything Chinese that goes in my body or is supposed to keep me safe.
    I've heard good things about the Jet City amps too.
    My biggest worry regarding the Chi-Coms is their 3000 year old manifesto to eventually rule the world. They are running a marathon, not a sprint. They certainly want to dominate Asia / Asia Pacific.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I have a friend who picked up a Jet City HDM 100 amp for $500. We hooked it up through my EVH cab and man that thing sounded great. I always liked the Soldano SLO 100 but they are expensive and the Jet City is a Chinese made amp designed by Mike Soldano. It sounded like a Soldano but gave you the option to go half power if you want. One channel is classic rock crunch and the other is high gain. I liked it. If you can score one cheap it's a good alternative to a 5150. In some ways I liked the Jet City better.
    AXE-FX II or better is the better alternative imo.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Peavey 6505MH is pretty loud, and with the USB out it'll hook right up to your DAW.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would buy a chinese made guitar. I just don't buy anything Chinese that goes in my body or is supposed to keep me safe.
    I've heard good things about the Jet City amps too.
    My biggest worry regarding the Chi-Coms is their 3000 year old manifesto to eventually rule the world. They are running a marathon, not a sprint. They certainly want to dominate Asia / Asia Pacific.
    Oh the Chinese have always felt the world revolved around them. We were told we were going to sell a billion Chinese our goods but what happened is the billion Chinese became slave labor to make goods for us while the Chinese stole our intellectual property. For whatever reason the Chinese were let into our government labs and given our technology. The consumers loved the cheap goods while the corporate heads loved the increased profits. Also we were told China had a history of being a non aggressor. Really? So what's all this buildup in the South China Sea? Looks pretty aggressive to me. Tell someone who fought in Korea the Chinese were not aggressive. Now Xi wants to be emperor for life of the place. That being said China is very corrupt and very polluted. They have a major water problem. Their one child policy is going to be a social disaster because they are going to have more horny men than available women. I can see them marching on someone to get some pussy. China has created the largest real estate bubble in world history to the point they have literally built whole cities with nobody living there. They don't build a bridge to nowhere they build a whole city for nobody. China probably will self-destruct. Of course when their real estate bubble pops it's probably going to crash the worldwide stock markets and cause a real depression. The bright side of this is a lot of rich fuckers will lose their fortunes and a lot of debt will deleverage. If we all manage not to kill each other, housing and tuition will become affordable again. Getting a loan will be tough. Kiss easy credit goodbye.

24. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

private parts (03-14-2018)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jack White playing a Wolfgang on SNL. Also has 2 or 3 in his music video for this song. Uses a St. Vincent signature guitar on second SNL song.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So got this amp yesterday. Boss Katana 100. Really cranks! Lots of features that I haven't had a chance to explore. Can download and tweak 50 Boss pedals with software. $350.00 plus great reviews. What's not to like!?
    The 50W version is only $220.00. A steal.

b08f55-Kata100_detail1.jpg
    Attachment 17082
    katana top2.jpg

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Do I look like I care? No one cares.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell- I don't even care.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Jack White playing a Wolfgang on SNL. Also has 2 or 3 in his music video for this song. Uses a St. Vincent signature guitar on second SNL song.

Pure shite. Looks like overgrown bowlcut is hoping for an invitation to Howdy doody Mountain...

He's played guitar for how long? Has zero chops to show...

30. Thanked Diamondjimi for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (04-24-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That Jack White video is fucking terrible. His guitar tone is so bad it sounds like there is something wrong with his equipment. The song is shit and the playing terrible.

EVH should consider paying him not to use his stuff.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

inbound...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So got this amp yesterday. Boss Katana 100. Really cranks! Lots of features that I haven't had a chance to explore. Can download and tweak 50 Boss pedals with software. $350.00 plus great reviews. What's not to like!?
    The 50W version is only $220.00. A steal.

b08f55-Kata100_detail1.jpg
    Attachment 17082
    katana top2.jpg
    I hear good things about those. As a Roland fanboi I approve.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I bought an Ovation made in Korea. It is perfectly built without any mistakes and sounds great! So does my Brian May Signature.

The Squier Tele I used to build my "Crackwhore" was made in China and sounded and played GREAT right out of the box! Point is...don't touch anything. The moment you open or unscrew something it falls apart. I replaced almost every piece of the hardware. Drilled holes for string through body etc. But for the price the original was worth every cent.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Build thread on the Tele?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That Telecaster is for a Paul Stanley pimp.

37. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-27-2018)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hear good things about those. As a Roland fanboi I approve.
    95% of the reviews have been very positive, to the point of the inevitable valve vs solid state arguments. One guy says it's the most awesome sounding amp ever - other guy says it sucks
    This software feature where you can download and edit Boss effects is killer. Probably overkill unless your into tweaking tones down to the atomic level.

Their Katana 100 Artist version has a Waza Craft speaker. Which is Roland correct?

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Build thread on the Tele?

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

inbound...
    Whoa! Nice

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Their Katana 100 Artist version has a Waza Craft speaker. Which is Roland correct?
    Looks like it. I had to Google it. They've got some all-analog Waza Craft pedals too.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Whoa! Nice
    Came a few hours ago but I was out in the garage getting the hard top off the Wrangler. Played it through the 6505MH a bit.

I bought a D-Tuna a couple weeks ago and put it on earlier

It's a little buzzy, needs tweaked. Got it off Amazon, shipped from Gear Tree in MI. I thought I had another strap but forgot I put it on the Fireman. Back to Amazon I go. Not sure if I'll put Dunlop straplocks on it like everything else (except the Fireman) has. And it came with three Allen wrenches, but not the one that fits the locking nut and string clamp bolts. Weird.

I haven't put it next to the Ravelle yet to see how close the whites are. Maybe over the weekend.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 04-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.

43. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-28-2018)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Congrats! That's awesome - beautiful. CRANK THAT BITCH!
    Funny thing, none of the Allen wrenches I got fit anything (maybe the intonation screws) - WTF?!
    The red looks good with the white for sure. The Standards should come equipped with D-Tunas. I mean they're only like $50.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Congrats! That's awesome - beautiful. CRANK THAT BITCH!
    Funny thing, none of the Allen wrenches I got fit anything (maybe the intonation screws) - WTF?!
    The red looks good with the white for sure. The Standards should come equipped with D-Tunas. I mean they're only like $50.
    The red D-Tuna was supposedly a limited edition. It was under $40 on eBay. My Korean Peavey Wolfgang Special came with a D-Tuna.

I might add a kill switch, it would be red also.

Both my Wolfgangs are about the same weight. Close to what my Hamer Steve Stevens weighs, and the Ravelle is a little lighter. The Fireman is heavier than all of those, but it's bigger and the body is mahogany.

Thread Information