"It goes to 11."
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Rock Station WLUP taken out after 41 years

I grew up listening to to this station and it really sucks to see it go. 41 years on the air playing only Rock and largely responsible for killing the Disco movement in Chicago during the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!! Christian Contemporary Format takes over this Saturday...

http://www.robertfeder.com/2018/03/0...r-buying-loop/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHFck0E8qg
    Last edited by Take 'Em; 03-06-2018 at 06:19 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Corporations are destroying radio. The classic rock station in Seattle (KZOK) got taken over by Willard Mittens Romney's Clear Channel right around the first of the year. So far there hasn't been an official format change, but definitely more cheesy ballads of the Journey/Foreigner type than actual classic rock, especially in the mornings. Thank God there hasn't been an onslaught of Van Hagar.... yet.

The other Clear Channel stations in the area all swapped formats, which sucks ass because the only one that would come in with any decent signal on my bedroom clock radio was an "80's alternative" station which has now flipped to "smooth jazz". How the fuck am I supposed to wake up to that shit??

Never been to Chicago, so I never actually listened to WLUP, but I do remember Steve Dahl, and some of his parody records from the late 70s, which got some airplay on the old pre-corporate radio KISW over here in Cascadia. And the whole Disco Demolition thing.. whether it was him or KISW's Steve Slaton who came up with it first, they both started the backlash to that shitty music. If they tried something like that now in corporatized radio, the suits would probably pull them off the air.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but even the stations that have been utilizing the classic rock format have been killing themselves off for decades by playing the same 4 songs from the same dozen groups over and over again.

Once playlists left the discretion of the disc jockeys and were generated by computers in the home office, it was only a matter of time.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Take 'Em View Post
    Christian Contemporary Format takes over this Saturday...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Corporations are destroying radio. The classic rock station in Seattle (KZOK) got taken over by Willard Mittens Romney's Clear Channel right around the first of the year. So far there hasn't been an official format change, but definitely more cheesy ballads of the Journey/Foreigner type than actual classic rock, especially in the mornings. Thank God there hasn't been an onslaught of Van Hagar.... yet.

The other Clear Channel stations in the area all swapped formats, which sucks ass because the only one that would come in with any decent signal on my bedroom clock radio was an "80's alternative" station which has now flipped to "smooth jazz". How the fuck am I supposed to wake up to that shit??

Never been to Chicago, so I never actually listened to WLUP, but I do remember Steve Dahl, and some of his parody records from the late 70s, which got some airplay on the old pre-corporate radio KISW over here in Cascadia. And the whole Disco Demolition thing.. whether it was him or KISW's Steve Slaton who came up with it first, they both started the backlash to that shitty music. If they tried something like that now in corporatized radio, the suits would probably pull them off the air.
    Another problem is there is no music industry anymore. The days of the Top 40 are gone. It's all old rehash and it all gets old. Yeah it was fun when the stations were owned by some local rich guy and each town had their popular DJ's and they were promoting the new songs and the bands coming to town to play. Radio now is about as fun as fucking in a hazmat suit.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Also the problem is if someone does have musical talent there is no way to market it now. Sure you can record songs on your computer and throw them on the internet but who's going to know about them? The record labels found the talent and the radio stations promoted them. Sure it was a corrupt system but everything is corrupt but that system gave us a lot of the stuff we loved. The problem is where is the incentive? Sure you can put a band together. Record your stuff on your computer and throw it out on the internet but who is going to find it without marketing? Where is the money going to come from to put you on tour? Where do you even play. Techno music and DJ's have replaced bands in clubs. If you want ass and money become a talented DJ and play the club circuit worldwide. That's the new game.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What killed classic rock was the internet. All you can hope for now is to be popular on YouTube and hope you don't get kicked off because you offended someone. It's become a boring world.

8. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (03-07-2018)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    GAWD, you whining pussies. No one with half a bran listens to terrestrial radio.

"It goes to 11."
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2018 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Loop signed off before midnight last night with one last song before K-Love Christian contemporary format started. Nice touch by choosing "Highway to Hell" for the finale.........

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    half a bran
    A bran what? Muffin?

Gimme head till I'm dead
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    01-03-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

WBCN in Boston was the major revenue driver behind the clear channel takeover. Then they killed the station.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Another problem is there is no music industry anymore. The days of the Top 40 are gone. It's all old rehash and it all gets old. Yeah it was fun when the stations were owned by some local rich guy and each town had their popular DJ's and they were promoting the new songs and the bands coming to town to play. Radio now is about as fun as fucking in a hazmat suit.
    I don't know about there's no music business anymore... You see the Grammy's and CMT awards shows and there's clearly people making music, selling music and earning a living out there.

I think the problem here is the Rock genre just isn't at the top of the market anymore... Rock had a great dominate run thru the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. It's pretty hard to top the quality and shear volume of great music from that period. I consider myself lucky to have experienced all that musical greatness and I feel a little sad for the crap today's kids have to choose from that's being marketed to them... But fuck em! We had it great!!

Thread Information