Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

rollingstone.com
    Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
    By Andy Greene
    4-09-18

Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band's upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

News of Buckingham's departure initially broke when former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette shared an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in." Rolling Stone has confirmed Buckingham's departure, though no specific tour dates have been announced.

Fleetwood Mac issued a collective statement about the news, saying: "We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Mick Fleetwood added, "Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents ... We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it’s got the unmistakable Mac sound."

"Two weeks ago, I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band," Finn tells Rolling Stone in a statement. "A few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can’t wait to play."

Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974 along with Stevie Nicks. He wrote and sang many of their most memorable songs, including "Go Your Own Way," "Tusk" and "Second Hand News." He left in 1987 shortly before the Tango in the Night tour (where he was replaced by Billy Burnette) and rejoined in 1996 for The Dance reunion tour. He remained active on the road with them for the next two decades. They last played full sets at Classic East and Classics West in July of last year, through they did play a brief set in January at the pre-Grammy MusiCares concert in their honor. The set ended, fittingly enough, with "Go Your Own Way."

In August of last year, Mick Fleetwood spoke to Rolling Stone about the band's next tour. "I was in Italy recently and met Stevie out there," he said. "She said to me, 'Let's sit down and really listen to some stuff that sort of almost got forgotten.' So I know she's already thinking she wants to do some things we haven't done in years. I always think that Stevie and Lindsey should do a Buckingham Nicks song in the set. And have Christine do a blues song. I hope it certainly won't be the same show as we did before. We always played nearly three hours, and we cut it back a little bit for the wear and tear, but we do over two hours. And when you got three singers, which is, like, three bands, really, to get that perfect set, it's a trip."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had. Campbell is probably an appropriate replacement as far as guitar playing goes, but he's neither a singer nor a lyric writer (when he sang a few songs on later Heartbreakers albums, the vocals were like Ronnie Wood on a bad day, and the lyrics were almost Hagar level bad).

Neil Finn is obviously being drafted as a vocalist, but he doesn't seem like a good fit for that band. The last time Buckingham got fired, the band went directly to Hell in a handbasket. And that was BEFORE all the band members were past retirement age.

3. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Grit (04-10-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Frankly, I'm surprised the band has still been chugging along as long as they have.

I wonder if the disagreement was over money.

Whatever.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had. Campbell is probably an appropriate replacement as far as guitar playing goes, but he's neither a singer nor a lyric writer (when he sang a few songs on later Heartbreakers albums, the vocals were like Ronnie Wood on a bad day, and the lyrics were almost Hagar level bad).

Neil Finn is obviously being drafted as a vocalist, but he doesn't seem like a good fit for that band. The last time Buckingham got fired, the band went directly to Hell in a handbasket. And that was BEFORE all the band members were past retirement age.
    It doesn't have to work in a songwriting capacity, just a touring/performing capacity. Mostly because I don't see Fleetwood Mac having a prolific future far as songwriting goes: the interest people have in the band these days is seeing them play the hits. And even without Buckingham they have enough members of the Rumors lineup still in the band to make at least the upcoming tour viable.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With Mike Campbell playing guitar, I'm sure Stevie will probably want to sing "Stop Dragging My Heart Around". But it ain't going to sound the same if Neil Finn is singing Tom's parts. (not that it would sound right if Lindsey was singing that song either)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I think when Buckingham departed in 1987, there was a far greater stigma over the departure of a key band member than there is today: audiences have become much more used to fractions of lineups touring these days than they were 30 years ago.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Frankly, I'm surprised the band has still been chugging along as long as they have.

I wonder if the disagreement was over money.

Whatever.
    That band is way past it's sell date. Nothing like getting fired 35 years after the band was having hits. It's kind of like firing a legendary quarterback when he is in the nursing home. I guess they really can fire everyone except for Stevie Nicks. They have to have her voice or it ain't going to fly.

9. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (04-27-2018)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't see this working at all. Buckingham is the best songwriter that band ever had.

More sexism and misogyny from a bernie brat, everybody. Steve Nicks wrote the majority of their hits and then Christine McVie.

And you fuckers complain on why you lose so much.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Stevie Nicks was the shit. They could replace everyone but her. Anyways the whole thing was some hippie love in that managed to pop out out some catchy songs and amazingly managed to record them while being numbed to the gills with drugs and fighting over who is going to fuck who.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Stevie wrote the big hits, not Lindsey. These stupid fucking sexist bernie shits are so stupid

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"Go Your Own Way" wasn't a huge hit? "Don't Stop" wasn't a huge hit (before the Clintons ruined it) "The Chain" wasn't a huge hit??

14. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Grit (04-10-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Stevie wrote the big hits, not Lindsey. These stupid fucking sexist bernie shits are so stupid
    Lindsey played his guitar for Stevie. Got her high and fucked her. The best move he made was being her boyfriend because without her singing and lyrics he would be selling drugs and playing guitar at the dive bar.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I saw Fleetwood Mac in the early 2000's. Lindsey Buckingham was simply awesome with great guitar and vocals. To each is own but I would not see them without Stevie Nicks or without Lindsey Buckingham in the band.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Stevie Nicks was the shit. They could replace everyone but her. Anyways the whole thing was some hippie love in that managed to pop out out some catchy songs and amazingly managed to record them while being numbed to the gills with drugs and fighting over who is going to fuck who.
    She definitely has the highest iconic charisma factor of the band.

I think both of the McVie's could retire from the road and ticket sales wouldn't be impacted too much.

Long as you still had Mick Fleetwood, Nicks and Buckingham. Maybe you could even go on without Mick Fleetwood.

Without any of the Rumors lineup save for Nicks, at that point you just have Stevie Nicks giving a solo performance. And I'd add there would still be plenty who would go see Stevie Nicks as a solo act. That's not the same as just putting Stevie Nicks out onstage and calling THAT Fleetwood Mac: I don't quite think that would fly.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I always liked how Mick Fleetwood looked like a crazy man behind the drums. Well these people are old. They got to be around 70. Not everyone has the Rolling Stones genes. Most bands are shot by the time they hit 70. Sammy Hagar is still managing to do shows but that's because God hates us and wants to punish us.

19. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (04-11-2018),Terry (04-11-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Maybe they should call it "Fleetwood Mac Revisited"?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

..or "Crowded Fleetwood Split MacBreakers"?

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2018 @ 02:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

‚Go Your Own Way‘ written by Lindsey Buckingham.

Special in the above live version:

Stevie Nicks playing tambourine, singing backup vocals in the choruses and contributing some dance moves.
    Lindsey Buckingham singing lead, playing rhythm guitar and contributing an intensive guitar solo.

I’m asking myself how Fleetwood Mac are performing their biggest hit on upcoming tour events.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It seems like Lindsey got a little bit of the "Mick Taylor" treatment on the studio albums. There's some alternate takes on the "Deluxe" editions of "Fleetwood Mac" (1975), "Rumours", and "Tusk", which have a lot more guitar on them than the original "official releases" do.

Last edited by FORD; 04-11-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Stevie Nicks wrote the lyrics to 'The Chain' you misogynistic bernie brat.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I’m asking myself how Fleetwood Mac are performing their biggest hit on upcoming tour events.
    'Dreams' was probably their biggest hit next to 'Landslide' - both penned by Nicks.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bullshit.... on both counts.

And as far as the "sexist misogynist" shit goes, you really should talk to Mick Fleetwood & John McVie about that one. Because they initially made the job offer to Lindsey Buckingham ONLY. They didn't want Stevie because they already had Christine, and thought that one "chick" in the band was enough.

Lindsey, to his credit, insisted that he & Stevie were a package deal. You don't get one, unless you get both. And so they did.... and the rest is history.
    Last edited by FORD; 04-11-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I always liked how Mick Fleetwood looked like a crazy man behind the drums. Well these people are old. They got to be around 70. Not everyone has the Rolling Stones genes. Most bands are shot by the time they hit 70. Sammy Hagar is still managing to do shows but that's because God hates us and wants to punish us.

It's just...age, you know?

I mean, doubtless it'd be hard to imagine anyone other than Fleetwood on the drums for a Fleetwood Mac gig.

If he can still cut it live and wants to keep playing, God Bless, you know?

As you say, though, these bands are getting up there. Like, in the case of Mick Fleetwood, it's amazing he's still vertical, much less still able to play.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

https://vimeo.com/183227100

In better times...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

31. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Etienne (04-11-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Will Lindsey ever go back again?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It's just...age, you know?

I mean, doubtless it'd be hard to imagine anyone other than Fleetwood on the drums for a Fleetwood Mac gig.

If he can still cut it live and wants to keep playing, God Bless, you know?

As you say, though, these bands are getting up there. Like, in the case of Mick Fleetwood, it's amazing he's still vertical, much less still able to play.
    Well Kevin Dugan worked for Fleetwood Mac and said Van Halen were little kids compared to them. He said they did a lot of drugs. So we are talking hard living rock and roll years here. it's amazing they are still alive.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

If you click on that link Nick posted above, they do look pretty coked up in that show. 1982, I think??

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well Kevin Dugan worked for Fleetwood Mac and said Van Halen were little kids compared to them. He said they did a lot of drugs. So we are talking hard living rock and roll years here. it's amazing they are still alive.
    Mick Fleetwood, by his own recounting, had a major cocaine addiction. To the point where by the mid-1980s he basically went into bankruptcy. Nicks had her coke and pill problems as well.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Stevie Nicks wrote the lyrics to 'The Chain' you misogynistic bernie brat.
    Not really. She wrote the title. And the chorus was mostly hers, but the rest of her original lyrics went unused.

Of course it wasn't a sole Buckingham composition either. It was actually a mashup of three different songs, with Stevie's original demo, Lindsey's guitar part recycled from a song on the 1973 Buckingham/Nicks album, and the "iconic" bass line & ending cannibalized from a Christine McVie song "Keep Me There" which was recorded for Rumours, but didn't make it to the album. So end result is that all 5 band members got a writing credit for the song (though I'm not sure what Mick Fleetwood actually wrote for it).

But Lindsey is the one who assembled all the pieces like a jigsaw puzzle and made the song into the masterpiece it was, so I'll give him a little extra credit as "composer/arranger" on that song.

So for the record, here's all the pieces, starting with Stevie's demo....

Pretty much an entirely different song, and not a bad one either. But aside from the chorus, doesn't resemble the final product at all.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This guitar intro should sound familiar....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And finally, the "missing link" from the Rumours sessions....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not really.
    Yes, she did, you repugnant revisionist history pseudo-left bernie brat.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This guitar intro should sound familiar....

That's 'Never Going Back Again' monkey balls bernie brat. God damn it!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No it's not. Better change weed shops. Somebody's lacing your buds with PCP.

And the live version makes it even more obvious.

Last edited by FORD; 04-16-2018 at 06:40 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Funny, Buckingham and Christine McVie toured together toward the end of last year.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Funny, Buckingham and Christine McVie toured together toward the end of last year.
    I didn't really keep track of the tour, but I know the record they made was essentially a Fleetwood Mac album, minus Stevie Nicks. Mick Fleetwood & John McVie played on it as well.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

I didn't look that far into it. Saw the ad on the marquee at the Rocksino one day I was out there. Looks like the local indie rag didn't review the show.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's one of the singles from the album. Looks & sounds like Fleetwood Mac to me....

Thread Information