Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 74

Thread: Dave's big solo gig !

  1. #1
    Veteran
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,482
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked 403 Times in 296 Posts


    Rep Power
    21

    Dave's big solo gig !

    Where's all the excitement ?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  2. #2
    Veteran
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,482
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked 403 Times in 296 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    5 years ago this gig would have been the topic of the week/month. What a drag it is getting old.....

  3. #3
    Sgt. Swindle
    Groupie
    speedtruckermf's Avatar
    Member No
    2814
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Last Online
    04-13-2018 @ 07:30 PM
    Location
    Galveston (2 miles south of Texas)
    Posts
    58
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts


    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Where's all the excitement ?
    $1500 a ticket/ $15000 for a table.
    Anybody want to split a table
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  4. Thanked speedtruckermf for this KICKASS post:

    Jérôme Frenchise (04-14-2018)


  5. #4
    FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Jérôme Frenchise's Avatar
    Member No
    9783
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:09 PM
    Location
    Frogland
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,769
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 367 Times in 275 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtruckermf View Post
    $1500 a ticket/ $15000 for a table.
    Anybody want to split a table
    Karate style?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  6. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

    78/84 guy (04-14-2018)


  7. #5
    Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    ZahZoo's Avatar
    Member No
    61
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    07-13-2018 @ 07:15 AM
    Location
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Posts
    7,334
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,623
    Thanked 2,548 Times in 1,612 Posts


    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    48
    What big solo gig..?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  8. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-14-2018)


  9. #6
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    https://www.houstongrandopera.org/sc...nts/opera-ball

    Opera Ball 2018
    An Evening in Old Hollywood


    Saturday, April 14, 2018│7 p.m.
    The Post Oak at Uptown Houston

    Chairmen: Doctors Liz Grimm and Jack Roth
    Attire: White Tie
    Tickets from $1,500, Tables from $15,000

    Always a premier occasion on Houston’s gala calendar, Opera Ball brings together the city’s most notable movers, shakers, and tastemakers for an epic evening in support of HGO. 2018 will pay tribute to the Golden Age of Hollywood as we walk the red carpet to a swanky supper club on Sunset, where stars were born and glitz set the stage. Palm trees and the Polo Lounge…cocktail shakers and deal-makers. Fred and Ginger, Garbo, Grant, and Garland...dancing cheek to cheek under the glamorous glow of the Hollywood Hills.


    Announcing: Special celebrity guest entertainment by David Lee Roth

    In a fitting nod to the bright lights and big stars of southern California, this spectacular night will also feature a rare, private performance by Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, David Lee Roth, sharing hits from his Gold and Platinum solo career and days as lead singer of Van Halen.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  10. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    katina (04-15-2018),Terry (04-14-2018)


  11. #7
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    California Girls and Jump to a backing tape maybe?

  12. #8
    Veteran
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,482
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked 403 Times in 296 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    California Girls and Jump to a backing tape maybe?
    Probably use the same band he had at that last benefit he played ? Then again it doesn't seem like anyone cares though. LOL ! If he comes out singing out of register on half the songs I can see why. Should start rethinking the name of this website. Looks like the Roth Army is almost gone. About all I see on here anymore is people bitching about politics ( get the fuck over it NOTHING is going to change, go enjoy your life ) and that cunt Krusty running her jaw like the cunt she is. Perhaps the Rock Army ? Then again not much going on in the house of music forum either. I guess I see why bitching about politics is the main topic around here......Good luck tonight Dave. I think you might need it.

  13. #9
    Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    DavidLeeNatra's Avatar
    Member No
    41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    07-08-2018 @ 10:25 AM
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Age
    50
    Posts
    10,612
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 859 Times in 541 Posts


    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    5 years ago this gig would have been the topic of the week/month. What a drag it is getting old.....
    I was listening to the Dave interview in the Mohr podcast these days. One of the really enjoyable talks. Mohr keeps up with Dave's motormouth and even if Dave uses a lot of his standard lines it's interesting.

    But yeah...most of the bastards here enjoy themselves bashing our hero these days.

    Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  14. #10
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I was listening to the Dave interview in the Mohr podcast these days. One of the really enjoyable talks. Mohr keeps up with Dave's motormouth and even if Dave uses a lot of his standard lines it's interesting.

    But yeah...most of the bastards here enjoy themselves bashing our hero these days.

    Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    I wouldn't say I really enjoy bashing Roth these days...

    He just strikes me as a really odd, self-absorbed person to the utmost degree.

    Odd in how he still tries to come across like the stud frontman version of himself circa 1986. Almost as if he's not comfortable aging, or comfortable inside his own skin. And the older he gets, the sillier it comes across.

    And, strictly for myself, what Roth brings to the stage now isn't worth seeing. Certainly not worth more than $25 a ticket. It's been that way for me since (and including) the ADKOT/2012 tour.

    I mean, one of my personal favorite top rock frontmen of all time. Always will be. But he just got weird as he got old. And his quippy interview one-liners lost their luster after being repeated over a period of thirty years. I think Roth is just one of those types of entertainers where his act was never going to grow old gracefully, or age well, or however you want to put it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  15. #11
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    Dave shows all the signs of being a grandiose Narcissist. I think David Lee Roth suffers from mental illness and no I'm not joking. He was treated for hyperactivity as a child and started behaving as a narcissist as he got older. I had the misfortune of having a college roommate who was a narcissist. They can be brilliant and hard working but they are hell to be around. My roommate was popular with people who didn't have the misfortune of having to actually live with him. He was a good looking guy who kept himself in shape and was always concerned with how he looked. He was able to get hot looking chicks all the time but he couldn't stay in a relationship. He was the best bullshitter I have ever seen. From the outside such people seem great but if you have to live with them it's pure hell. I think Dave is one of these people. He's probably hell to be around. Probably explains why the guy is a loner with a dog. Only the dog can tolerate him.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  16. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

    DavidLeeNatra (04-15-2018),Nigel (05-01-2018)


  17. #12
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    I dunno. All of that may well be true. I don't know the man, but I do know the type you've described.

    For me, Roth just got less funny and more weird as he got older. Or maybe it was because I got older and he basically stayed the same. The first time I thought the guy was a bit off was the whole Bar-B-Que video and that early 2000's period. In terms of the point of it. Maybe it was just little more than Roth enjoying hanging out with midgets and models, cavorting around his back yard. It was just this odd sort of tribute to himself...like, you can tell Roth really enjoys his own company, and thinks his every utterance is brilliantly comical and insightful. Then he started wearing that goofy looking platinum blonde hair weave and Krusty The Klown spandex for the Sam and Dave tour a year later, and he began moving into a mildly pathetic realm of an aging rockstar past his prime who can't let go of the past. Then, with the Diamond Dave CD, he apparently was no longer able to come up with enough decent musical ideas to sustain a full-length CD of new material.

    He pulled his shit together for the 2007-2008 Van Halen tour. I'll give him that. Really tempered his act, made an effort with the vocals, singing all the lyrics, keeping the onstage rapping to a minimum. Ever since that first Van Halen reunion tour, Roth has basically coasted. Caught an interview of his with Joe Rogan several years back, and there he was, laughing at everything he said, speed rapping a mile a minute about nothing in particular.

    I guess the one thing I could say about his post-1996 to 2006 career, uneven as it was in terms of results for me, is that Roth was still doing stuff. I guess with the money he made off the last 3 Van Halen tours, he doesn't have to do stuff anymore.

    Whatever. He is entitled to do whatever he wants, or nothing if he wants. He's...what...65? 64? 63? Somewhere in there.

    I'd be interested in Van Halen with Roth releasing new material. I don't even really care if they tour anymore. Or if Dave did some new solo stuff and didn't half ass it like the Diamond Dave cd. I'd frankly be more interested in either a new Van Halen album of new material or a new Roth album of new material than another Van Halen Greatest Hits tour. I just don't have that much interest in Roth fronting some random band of nobodys singing Jump in some small venue anymore: I can barely be bothered to watch a youtube clip of that stuff, much less drag my ass out of my house to see it live.

  18. 3 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

    DavidLeeNatra (04-15-2018),Diamondjimi (04-16-2018),ZahZoo (04-20-2018)


  19. #13
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    What we saw in pubic was a show. What's interesting is Sammy Hagar made an observation on that Sam and Dave tour that says a lot. Sammy thought Dave would be a fun party guy. Dave was just the opposite. He just stayed in his dressing room and only hung with a tight group. His security kept everyone away. With Dave everything is calculated and he's not really as free wheeling as he claims. He puts on a show but who is the real Dave? Not even people who were in bands with him can tell you an answer on that. Much like Ronald Reagan. People who worked with Ronald Reagan said the real Ron was someone you never really saw. What you saw was a well polished image. These types of people can put a great show on in front of a crowd but they become recluses in real life. They have their little circle of insiders which tends to be surprisingly small. They plot and plan and practice their image and presentation. In Dave's case he then says I'm just free wheeling through life when in actuality he has been busting his ass behind the scenes to be Diamond Dave.

  20. #14
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    But why Van Halen was so good is sure there was a certain amount of natural talent there but everyone in that band busted their ass. They didn't want people to see it. They hid that part from the public eye. Maybe that was Dave's idea who knows but on stage and in the studio they took no prisoners. You don't become that good without busting ass. In a way VH had a secret bunker where they hid in and practiced. Haha!

  21. #15
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    I have gotten the sense as the years have passed that the image Roth presents has less to do with the offstage reality, whereas it always felt back in the Van Halen and early solo days that the image was less of a construct.

    And the image is what earns him his bread, so I understand the construct. I think the irony is that on the whole the people who still buy tickets to Van Halen shows really don't care about that image anymore. Yet there he is with his Wacky Uncle Dave Funky Chicken dance routines onstage as he's pushing 60 years old. He goes with what he knows.

    Juxtapose that with Hagar, who by all accounts is who he is and is comfortable with who he is.

  22. #16
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Probably use the same band he had at that last benefit he played ? Then again it doesn't seem like anyone cares though. LOL ! If he comes out singing out of register on half the songs I can see why. Should start rethinking the name of this website. Looks like the Roth Army is almost gone. About all I see on here anymore is people bitching about politics ( get the fuck over it NOTHING is going to change, go enjoy your life ) and that cunt Krusty running her jaw like the cunt she is. Perhaps the Rock Army ? Then again not much going on in the house of music forum either. I guess I see why bitching about politics is the main topic around here......Good luck tonight Dave. I think you might need it.
    This forum is what people make of it. It's quiet enough at the moment you could steer it anywhere your imagine takes you just by posting some stuff. In fact that was the reason I was eventually forced to calm ELVIS down because one person posting 50 times a day here could turn it into some sort of anti semitic white supremacist looking thing quite quickly just by virtue of quantity of posts.

    I just checked and the official Van Halen website hasn't been updated since July 2015!

    That is fucked up.

    Name another band in the world that posts something that gets 54 million hits and then doesn't post anything for 3 years.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-14-2018 at 11:34 PM.

  23. #17
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    This forum is what people make of it. It's quiet enough at the moment you could steer it anywhere your imagine takes you just by posting some stuff. In fact that was the reason I was eventually forced to calm ELVIS down because one person posting 50 times a day here could turn it into some sort of anti semitic white supremacist looking thing quite quickly just by virtue of quantity of posts.

    I just checked and the official Van Halen website hasn't been updated since July 2015!

    That is fucked up.

    Name another band in the world that posts something that gets 54 million hits and then doesn't post anything for 3 years.
    When Van Halen has done something, the thread activity on this site has shifted emphasis and placed focus on whatever Van Halen was doing at that time. The site activity shifted not from any moderator manipulation, but because that was what the membership wanted to talk about.

    The problem has been that since Cherone left Van Halen, the band hasn't exactly been a hive of activity. For the years 2000, 2001, 2002, most of 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, and 2017 there has been fuck all to talk about because the band weren't doing anything. Once Roth rejoined the group, the years that the band haven't been working mirror Roth not doing anything publicly as well.

    And there are only going to be so many discussions about how great, say, the Fair Warning album was before you've exhausted all those topics, too.

    Couple all of that with active membership slowly declining over the last 15 years, to be sure this site isn't as active as it was in, say, 2004. I don't think that is necessarily reflective of a failure of the site managers evolving the site to attract membership as it is just an illustration of the general public sentiment of Roth and Van Halen these days. Roth and Van Halen are way past their commercial/career peaks. Neither Roth or Van Halen have regularly put out new material in 20 years. I don't know that changing the name of this site to the Rock Army or anything else is going to cause a spike in membership or posting/thread traffic.

  24. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    Jack68 (04-19-2018)


  25. #18
    Veteran
    78/84 guy's Avatar
    Member No
    12663
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Last Online
    07-06-2018 @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    MN.
    Posts
    2,482
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,301
    Thanked 403 Times in 296 Posts


    Rep Power
    21
    At this point I think it might help membership. I guess if Van Halen/ Roth was as big worldwide as say Zeppelin it probably would be fine to leave the name the same. But as they do less & less ( that's the trend ) calling it the Rock Army might bring in more people. That brings in more topics & discussions. Hey Van Haen & Roth are getting old. So are their fans. Finding other things to do. Dedicated a section to them because that's what started it all and move forward with other band/ topics. Hell I used to be on here 4 times a week. That's down to 4 times a year. At least it seems that way. Watching that cunt Krusty derail almost every thread got old fast also.

  26. #19
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    When Van Halen has done something, the thread activity on this site has shifted emphasis and placed focus on whatever Van Halen was doing at that time. The site activity shifted not from any moderator manipulation, but because that was what the membership wanted to talk about.

    The problem has been that since Cherone left Van Halen, the band hasn't exactly been a hive of activity. For the years 2000, 2001, 2002, most of 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, and 2017 there has been fuck all to talk about because the band weren't doing anything. Once Roth rejoined the group, the years that the band haven't been working mirror Roth not doing anything publicly as well.
    Roth joining Van Halen and then them not doing much was multiple problem for this (and other forums).

    People used to talk about CVH, Roth's ongoing solo career and just as importantly how much they hated (or didn't) whatever Van Cherone/Hagar were doing and when and if there would ever be a reunion.

    So we went from 4 main topics to a single inactive one.

  27. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    degüello (04-21-2018)


  28. #20
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,529
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,626
    Thanked 4,037 Times in 3,026 Posts


    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Dave shows all the signs of being a grandiose Narcissist. I think David Lee Roth suffers from mental illness and no I'm not joking. He was treated for hyperactivity as a child and started behaving as a narcissist as he got older. I had the misfortune of having a college roommate who was a narcissist. They can be brilliant and hard working but they are hell to be around. My roommate was popular with people who didn't have the misfortune of having to actually live with him. He was a good looking guy who kept himself in shape and was always concerned with how he looked. He was able to get hot looking chicks all the time but he couldn't stay in a relationship. He was the best bullshitter I have ever seen. From the outside such people seem great but if you have to live with them it's pure hell. I think Dave is one of these people. He's probably hell to be around. Probably explains why the guy is a loner with a dog. Only the dog can tolerate him.
    I think mental illness is a bit strong, but I agree that Dave is a massive narcissist to the point of being a borderline sociopath. At least according Noel Monk, Dave completely lacked empathy for anyone and was solely focused on what he wanted and how to get and came across as a petty and jealous a-hole when he was unhappy (i.e. the not getting-laid on tour with Black Sabbath in the UK due to the sausage-fest that was the Sabbath fanbase, and snapping at a roadie who did).

    But Dave was also apparently a guy that really didn't need to become a rockstar to get laid and he plowed through women both before and during Van Halen and was certainly enabled to an extent. I suppose his boundless self-confidence and success comes with a price of baggage and the apparent inability sustain both romantic relationships and enduring friendships...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  29. #21
    Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

    Nickdfresh's Avatar
    Member No
    8719
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Age
    48
    Posts
    45,529
    Status
    Online
    Thanks
    2,626
    Thanked 4,037 Times in 3,026 Posts


    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    ...

    Juxtapose that with Hagar, who by all accounts is who he is and is comfortable with who he is.
    Yes. Stupid people with big egos usually are comfortable...

  30. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-15-2018)


  31. #22
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I think mental illness is a bit strong, but I agree that Dave is a massive narcissist to the point of being a borderline sociopath. At least according Noel Monk, Dave completely lacked empathy for anyone and was solely focused on what he wanted and how to get and came across as a petty and jealous a-hole when he was unhappy (i.e. the not getting-laid on tour with Black Sabbath in the UK due to the sausage-fest that was the Sabbath fanbase, and snapping at a roadie who did).

    But Dave was also apparently a guy that really didn't need to become a rockstar to get laid and he plowed through women both before and during Van Halen and was certainly enabled to an extent. I suppose his boundless self-confidence and success comes with a price of baggage and the apparent inability sustain both romantic relationships and enduring friendships...
    He certainly had personality flaws and add in the booze and drugs and you have a mess. I'm not saying he was mentally ill to the point of having to be committed to an institution. But he was being treated for hyperactivity when he was young and he showed the signs of being a narcissist and even a sociopath in his adult years. How he is sober I have no idea. He's a recluse and a strange person but then so is Eddie.

  32. #23
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Roth joining Van Halen and then them not doing much was multiple problem for this (and other forums).

    People used to talk about CVH, Roth's ongoing solo career and just as importantly how much they hated (or didn't) whatever Van Cherone/Hagar were doing and when and if there would ever be a reunion.

    So we went from 4 main topics to a single inactive one.
    I think 78/84 guy has a point in terms of Van Halen's audience aging along with the band. You couple that with the band having settled into once every three years hitting the road in what is little more than a Greatest Hits touring mode, and it is understandably more difficult for longtime fans of the band - the majority of whom are in their 40s and 50s - to really care much anymore about what is happening with the band presently.

    I couldn't say what kind of membership traffic or level of participation is still happening at the Van Halen-centric sites, rather than whatever Roth-focused fan sites are still out there operating.

    I don't even know if this site has a particular mission currently in terms of bringing on more members, or new members, or members who actually participate regularly rather than merely joining up and going silent after a few initial posts. If that is the case, clearly leaving the site the way it is probably won't result in an influx of new members if the activity over the last several years is taken into account.

    I'm not being critical of the way the site is operated. I certainly don't even have the faintest idea(s) as to how to grow the site back to what it was ten plus years ago, if that is the goal.

  33. #24
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I think mental illness is a bit strong, but I agree that Dave is a massive narcissist to the point of being a borderline sociopath. At least according Noel Monk, Dave completely lacked empathy for anyone and was solely focused on what he wanted and how to get and came across as a petty and jealous a-hole when he was unhappy (i.e. the not getting-laid on tour with Black Sabbath in the UK due to the sausage-fest that was the Sabbath fanbase, and snapping at a roadie who did).

    But Dave was also apparently a guy that really didn't need to become a rockstar to get laid and he plowed through women both before and during Van Halen and was certainly enabled to an extent. I suppose his boundless self-confidence and success comes with a price of baggage and the apparent inability sustain both romantic relationships and enduring friendships...
    I remember a few years back someone saying how they would like to hang with Dave, and I remember thinking that while I would have liked to have hung around him when CVH was active, like, say, hang around backstage while the band was touring and party...that I really didn't have any interest hanging around Dave nowadays, or even meeting the guy. I'd imagine the encounter would be uncomfortable for him, because he clearly enjoys his privacy/solitude and his own company above that of any other person. At least that's the general vibe I get from him.

    Like, even if I had the opportunity to meet him in an off-the-record setting, there's plenty of questions I'd have about his career with Van Halen along with his solo stuff, and I'd be interested in hearing his perspectives about all of it. However, he'd probably go into his interview mode routine. I mean, maybe there really isn't even a genuine person underneath the image.

    I've met several famous people, from politicians to actors to rock musicians, and the one characteristic all of them had for me is a sense of my being underwhelmed at the reality vs. the image construct I had formulated prior to meeting them. None of which should be surprising in the least, because all celebs are still just people.

  34. #25
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    I find it striking that if you look at the comments on YouTube about Roth or Van Halen they tend to be more positive these days than what you would find here in general and YouTube is famously negative about everything.

    I think they are a band like JFK, you'll like them more as people if you don't know too much about them.

  35. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-15-2018)


  36. #26
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I think mental illness is a bit strong, but I agree that Dave is a massive narcissist to the point of being a borderline sociopath. At least according Noel Monk, Dave completely lacked empathy for anyone and was solely focused on what he wanted and how to get and came across as a petty and jealous a-hole when he was unhappy (i.e. the not getting-laid on tour with Black Sabbath in the UK due to the sausage-fest that was the Sabbath fanbase, and snapping at a roadie who did).

    But Dave was also apparently a guy that really didn't need to become a rockstar to get laid and he plowed through women both before and during Van Halen and was certainly enabled to an extent. I suppose his boundless self-confidence and success comes with a price of baggage and the apparent inability sustain both romantic relationships and enduring friendships...
    Give it another 10 years and then elect him president.

  37. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (04-16-2018),Terry (04-15-2018)


  38. #27
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I remember a few years back someone saying how they would like to hang with Dave, and I remember thinking that while I would have liked to have hung around him when CVH was active, like, say, hang around backstage while the band was touring and party...that I really didn't have any interest hanging around Dave nowadays, or even meeting the guy. I'd imagine the encounter would be uncomfortable for him, because he clearly enjoys his privacy/solitude and his own company above that of any other person. At least that's the general vibe I get from him.

    Like, even if I had the opportunity to meet him in an off-the-record setting, there's plenty of questions I'd have about his career with Van Halen along with his solo stuff, and I'd be interested in hearing his perspectives about all of it. However, he'd probably go into his interview mode routine. I mean, maybe there really isn't even a genuine person underneath the image.

    I've met several famous people, from politicians to actors to rock musicians, and the one characteristic all of them had for me is a sense of my being underwhelmed at the reality vs. the image construct I had formulated prior to meeting them. None of which should be surprising in the least, because all celebs are still just people.
    I grew up in Sun Valley, Idaho and it's a resort town. One of the oldest ski resorts in the US. There were always celebrities running around there and some even had vacation homes there. Met a few of them. For the most part if you act like a fan a switch flips and they will treat you like a fan. If you just treat them like anyone else and have a normal conversation about something they are interested in they just are normal people having a discussion with you. That's if they have time and want to talk. One thing they don't like is if they are with friends or family at diner and you interrupt them.

  39. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-15-2018)


  40. #28
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Nitro Express's Avatar
    Member No
    7682
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    07-19-2018 @ 06:00 PM
    Location
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    Posts
    28,818
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,129
    Thanked 3,202 Times in 2,608 Posts


    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think 78/84 guy has a point in terms of Van Halen's audience aging along with the band. You couple that with the band having settled into once every three years hitting the road in what is little more than a Greatest Hits touring mode, and it is understandably more difficult for longtime fans of the band - the majority of whom are in their 40s and 50s - to really care much anymore about what is happening with the band presently.

    I couldn't say what kind of membership traffic or level of participation is still happening at the Van Halen-centric sites, rather than whatever Roth-focused fan sites are still out there operating.

    I don't even know if this site has a particular mission currently in terms of bringing on more members, or new members, or members who actually participate regularly rather than merely joining up and going silent after a few initial posts. If that is the case, clearly leaving the site the way it is probably won't result in an influx of new members if the activity over the last several years is taken into account.

    I'm not being critical of the way the site is operated. I certainly don't even have the faintest idea(s) as to how to grow the site back to what it was ten plus years ago, if that is the goal.
    I had a friend who saw VH the last tour in Seattle. In fact he was the one who turned me onto VH. He gave me the first album for a birthday present. Anyways he's now a 50 something business man who wears nice suits and appreciates fine wines. Not really a rock and roller type anymore. He went to the VH show and was amused that there were still stoners who were middle aged. He's like I don't know where these people come from but they are fat and grey and still act like the stoners in high school. The audience is full of them. I just laughed.

  41. #29
    Roadie

    Member No
    419
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    07-12-2018 @ 01:05 PM
    Location
    Tacuarembo (Uruguay)
    Age
    46
    Posts
    172
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 78 Times in 37 Posts


    Rep Power
    15
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  42. Thanked diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

    ZahZoo (04-22-2018)


  43. #30
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    We had an inside exclusive here on the setlist!

  44. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    degüello (04-21-2018),Terry (04-15-2018)


  45. #31
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I had a friend who saw VH the last tour in Seattle. In fact he was the one who turned me onto VH. He gave me the first album for a birthday present. Anyways he's now a 50 something business man who wears nice suits and appreciates fine wines. Not really a rock and roller type anymore. He went to the VH show and was amused that there were still stoners who were middle aged. He's like I don't know where these people come from but they are fat and grey and still act like the stoners in high school. The audience is full of them. I just laughed.
    I had a similar experience at the 2008 and 2012 shows I went to, where there were loads of fat, gray, middle aged stoners there in their concert t-shirts and blue jeans.

  46. #32
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondclaudio View Post
    His vocals sounded really goddamned awful on those California Girls clips. Still yelping in a strained range not suited for the tune, and it would have sounded much better had he just merely sang the tune the way it was recorded. I mean, California Girls isn't a difficult one to flat-out sing to, even for Dave at this late date. Same deal when Van Halen did Pretty Woman in 2012, where Roth was yelling the lyrics off-key: it must take more effort for him to do that than merely sing the tune, which like California Girls is pretty straightforward without any type of strain needed.

  47. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

    Jérôme Frenchise (04-16-2018)


  48. #33
    King Of Smut
    SUPER MODERATOR

    twonabomber's Avatar
    Member No
    28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 AM
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,024
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,151 Posts


    Rep Power
    42
    When I googled "David Lee Roth Houston" earlier today I found that mash-up I posted in the other thread...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

  49. #34
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    At this point I think it might help membership.
    Just noticed you are the newcomer member in this thread.

    Happy 13th year sir!

  50. #35
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    When I googled "David Lee Roth Houston" earlier today I found that mash-up I posted in the other thread...
    I had something similar happen earlier in the week, it's a reason not to change the domain name.

  51. #36
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

    Seshmeister's Avatar
    Member No
    11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    98
    Posts
    30,957
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    2,279
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 5,132 Posts


    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    His vocals sounded really goddamned awful on those California Girls clips. Still yelping in a strained range not suited for the tune, and it would have sounded much better had he just merely sang the tune the way it was recorded. I mean, California Girls isn't a difficult one to flat-out sing to, even for Dave at this late date. Same deal when Van Halen did Pretty Woman in 2012, where Roth was yelling the lyrics off-key: it must take more effort for him to do that than merely sing the tune, which like California Girls is pretty straightforward without any type of strain needed.
    Some slack can be cut because who knows if the onstage sound was good and all the vagaries of doing a few songs unrehearsed but yeah.

    I would say that it wasn't any worse than the last outing and to be honest he was singing songs that I'm not interested in hearing at this point anyway.

    Nitro was saying earlier about his pal finding it weird that Van Halen gigs were full of 50 year old people acting like they were still at high school. Personally I prefer that to an audience of elderly bankers - I know we are all getting older but that audience was like a scene from fucking Cocoon.

  52. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

    Nickdfresh (04-16-2018),Terry (04-16-2018)


  53. #37
    FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Jérôme Frenchise's Avatar
    Member No
    9783
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:09 PM
    Location
    Frogland
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,769
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    636
    Thanked 367 Times in 275 Posts


    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    His vocals sounded really goddamned awful on those California Girls clips. Still yelping in a strained range not suited for the tune, and it would have sounded much better had he just merely sang the tune the way it was recorded. I mean, California Girls isn't a difficult one to flat-out sing to, even for Dave at this late date. Same deal when Van Halen did Pretty Woman in 2012, where Roth was yelling the lyrics off-key: it must take more effort for him to do that than merely sing the tune, which like California Girls is pretty straightforward without any type of strain needed.
    Yeah... Houston? We - still - got a problem.

  54. 2 users say thank you to Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-16-2018),ZahZoo (04-20-2018)


  55. #38
    Helen Mirren's crudder
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Terry's Avatar
    Member No
    181
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    9,888
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    3,018
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,065 Posts


    Rep Power
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Some slack can be cut because who knows if the onstage sound was good and all the vagaries of doing a few songs unrehearsed but yeah.

    I would say that it wasn't any worse than the last outing and to be honest he was singing songs that I'm not interested in hearing at this point anyway.

    Nitro was saying earlier about his pal finding it weird that Van Halen gigs were full of 50 year old people acting like they were still at high school. Personally I prefer that to an audience of elderly bankers - I know we are all getting older but that audience was like a scene from fucking Cocoon.
    I'd be able to concede that perhaps the onstage monitors weren't functioning properly (as to not being rehearsed, I'd say were that the case it would be more of a weak explanation than an excuse) if it weren't for the fact that when I saw Roth in 2005 and 2006 he was approaching California Girls - and quite a few other tunes in the sets - with that same yelping vocal style. He stopped doing that with the first Van Halen reunion tour, but in 2012 he was back to doing it again: I thought the Tampa 2012 gig might have been an anomaly in terms of Dave just having an off night (that'll happen to the best of 'em every now and then), but the other 2012 shows I saw online and the 2015 stuff I saw online were more of the same.

    I'd agree he doesn't sound much worse than he did 3 years ago, but that's not really saying a lot.

    Whatever. I'm just being a nitpicky cunt about it in terms of bitching about how bad Dave sounded in a few clips I watched for free, but the other side of that coin is I'm glad I wasn't paying to see it live.

    I was less than thrilled that Ed was drunkenly half-assing the show I saw in 2008...a show which Dave (along with Al) fucking carried.

    Ed got his shit together in 2012. Dave just...I dunno. I can't tell if he's singing the way he is to make it sound like he's trying hard, or if he's bored singing the tunes the way they were recorded...the net result just plain sounds bad. I suppose I wouldn't be so critical if I thought this was the best he was capable of now, but I think he can sound much better with much less effort.

    Maybe get Wilford Brimley to sing uncredited offstage for him?

  56. #39
    Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    DavidLeeNatra's Avatar
    Member No
    41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    07-08-2018 @ 10:25 AM
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Age
    50
    Posts
    10,612
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 859 Times in 541 Posts


    Rep Power
    33
    You think Dave sings badly these days. Try Bon Jovi at the RHOF...

    Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

  57. #40
    Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    DavidLeeNatra's Avatar
    Member No
    41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Last Online
    07-08-2018 @ 10:25 AM
    Location
    Berlin - Germany
    Age
    50
    Posts
    10,612
    Status
    Offline
    Thanks
    1,364
    Thanked 859 Times in 541 Posts


    Rep Power
    33
    No one mentioned the bald spot on Dave's head yet? One hair thread comiiiiin' uuuuup!

    Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

  58. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

    Terry (04-16-2018)


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. dave's solo albums...
    By DavidLeeNatra in forum VH/DLR Songs And Albums
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-25-2006, 07:19 PM
  2. Dave solo sales VS. Hagar solo sales?
    By tsqaure in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 02:32 AM
  3. Dave solo
    By canadiandlrgirl in forum VH/DLR Songs And Albums
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 07:29 PM
  4. Solo Dave vs Van Hagar
    By hard rock in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 11:15 AM
  5. Name 20 Dave Solo / VH Songs..
    By ALMOSTsaved in forum Main VH/DLR Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •