X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Terry
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    I had a friend who saw VH the last tour in Seattle. In fact he was the one who turned me onto VH. He gave me the first album for a birthday present. Anyways he's now a 50 something business man who wears nice suits and appreciates fine wines. Not really a rock and roller type anymore. He went to the VH show and was amused that there were still stoners who were middle aged. He's like I don't know where these people come from but they are fat and grey and still act like the stoners in high school. The audience is full of them. I just laughed.
    I had a similar experience at the 2008 and 2012 shows I went to, where there were loads of fat, gray, middle aged stoners there in their concert t-shirts and blue jeans.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by diamondclaudio
      His vocals sounded really goddamned awful on those California Girls clips. Still yelping in a strained range not suited for the tune, and it would have sounded much better had he just merely sang the tune the way it was recorded. I mean, California Girls isn't a difficult one to flat-out sing to, even for Dave at this late date. Same deal when Van Halen did Pretty Woman in 2012, where Roth was yelling the lyrics off-key: it must take more effort for him to do that than merely sing the tune, which like California Girls is pretty straightforward without any type of strain needed.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

When I googled "David Lee Roth Houston" earlier today I found that mash-up I posted in the other thread...
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          At this point I think it might help membership.
          Just noticed you are the newcomer member in this thread.

Happy 13th year sir!

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by twonabomber
            When I googled "David Lee Roth Houston" earlier today I found that mash-up I posted in the other thread...
            I had something similar happen earlier in the week, it's a reason not to change the domain name.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Terry
              His vocals sounded really goddamned awful on those California Girls clips. Still yelping in a strained range not suited for the tune, and it would have sounded much better had he just merely sang the tune the way it was recorded. I mean, California Girls isn't a difficult one to flat-out sing to, even for Dave at this late date. Same deal when Van Halen did Pretty Woman in 2012, where Roth was yelling the lyrics off-key: it must take more effort for him to do that than merely sing the tune, which like California Girls is pretty straightforward without any type of strain needed.
              Some slack can be cut because who knows if the onstage sound was good and all the vagaries of doing a few songs unrehearsed but yeah.

I would say that it wasn't any worse than the last outing and to be honest he was singing songs that I'm not interested in hearing at this point anyway.

Nitro was saying earlier about his pal finding it weird that Van Halen gigs were full of 50 year old people acting like they were still at high school. Personally I prefer that to an audience of elderly bankers - I know we are all getting older but that audience was like a scene from fucking Cocoon.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                Yeah... Houston? We - still - got a problem.
                posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  Some slack can be cut because who knows if the onstage sound was good and all the vagaries of doing a few songs unrehearsed but yeah.

I would say that it wasn't any worse than the last outing and to be honest he was singing songs that I'm not interested in hearing at this point anyway.

Nitro was saying earlier about his pal finding it weird that Van Halen gigs were full of 50 year old people acting like they were still at high school. Personally I prefer that to an audience of elderly bankers - I know we are all getting older but that audience was like a scene from fucking Cocoon.
                  I'd be able to concede that perhaps the onstage monitors weren't functioning properly (as to not being rehearsed, I'd say were that the case it would be more of a weak explanation than an excuse) if it weren't for the fact that when I saw Roth in 2005 and 2006 he was approaching California Girls - and quite a few other tunes in the sets - with that same yelping vocal style. He stopped doing that with the first Van Halen reunion tour, but in 2012 he was back to doing it again: I thought the Tampa 2012 gig might have been an anomaly in terms of Dave just having an off night (that'll happen to the best of 'em every now and then), but the other 2012 shows I saw online and the 2015 stuff I saw online were more of the same.

I'd agree he doesn't sound much worse than he did 3 years ago, but that's not really saying a lot.

Whatever. I'm just being a nitpicky cunt about it in terms of bitching about how bad Dave sounded in a few clips I watched for free, but the other side of that coin is I'm glad I wasn't paying to see it live.

I was less than thrilled that Ed was drunkenly half-assing the show I saw in 2008...a show which Dave (along with Al) fucking carried.

Ed got his shit together in 2012. Dave just...I dunno. I can't tell if he's singing the way he is to make it sound like he's trying hard, or if he's bored singing the tunes the way they were recorded...the net result just plain sounds bad. I suppose I wouldn't be so critical if I thought this was the best he was capable of now, but I think he can sound much better with much less effort.

Maybe get Wilford Brimley to sing uncredited offstage for him?
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

You think Dave sings badly these days. Try Bon Jovi at the RHOF...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

No one mentioned the bald spot on Dave's head yet? One hair thread comiiiiin' uuuuup!

Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

Didn't even bother watching the RnRHoF. Had seen a few clips of Bon Jovi live a few years ago: it was clear the band was tuned down at least a 1/2 step from the original recordings, and even with that advantage Bon Jovi was struggling.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

After the show Jon said it was Alec John Such's fault...

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

JBJ has been like that for a while. Reminds me of Frankie Valli in the early 80's, when everyone thought he was going deaf.

Almost went to the induction, but it was a 2 ticket limit when they went on sale to HOF members. There were five or six of us who wanted to go. I ended up going to see the Darkness instead.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well I guess at least it proves it was live...

It probably sounded a lot better if you were there and it was loud and not through a phone mike.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                Well I guess at least it proves it was live...

It probably sounded a lot better if you were there and it was loud and not through a phone mike.
                                Naaah....Jon's voice is shot. He sounds really awful. And he looks like he doesn't want to do it anymore.

Roth Army Icon

Comment

Working...