X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

How long is that now?

I prefer it to the Casey Jones look but both are kind of odd.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by daveroth
      Hey terry, to me it seems Dave just has to get his vocal chords in shape (i.e sing more). I saw them in Toronto on their 2015 tour, and being a young fan i could not have asked for a better show. Dave was great, easily rivaling his '07-'08 performances. And, at the point in the tour when I saw them, they had already done over half of the tour; so Dave's voice was nice and trained up. Here's Ain't talkin' 'bout love from that show.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5LG3wreGg The guy who uploaded it, also uploaded the entire gig. I suggest you check it out, Dave was just at the top of his game that night. It was an awesome night that i'll never forget!
      Suffice to say, I'm not hearing what you've been hearing as of late re: Dave's live vocals.

I mean, it's good that you enjoyed the show you saw in 2015. Honestly. I wouldn't want a paying audience member of any concert (even a band I have no use for) to experience a substandard show.

Maybe Dave did have a good night in Montreal in 2015 to your ears.

For me, Dave's vocal approach significantly lessened my enjoyment of the 2012 gig I saw: roughly 50% of the time he was singing, Roth sounded shitty. That approach was audibly evident all over the Tokyo Dome album, and was all over the several 2015 gigs I watched on youtube prior to tickets going on sale for my area. From what I heard of that recent clip, that strained yelp is still central to Roth's vocal strategy.

All Roth has to do is drop the yelp and simply sing the tunes in key. I'm not asking for much out of the guy. I have no expectations about him leaping around onstage anymore. I have no expectations that he's gonna start letting out his old trademark barefoot on hot coals shrieks. I do expect he's going to sing the tunes as close to in key as he possibly can and not yelp his way through tune after tune, ruining the lead vocals with his off key yelling. Which is to say, if the band wants any more of my money, that's the expectation Roth will have to meet.

It doesn't matter, because Van Halen with Roth at the helm in terms of the legend is such that the shows don't have to be particularly good anymore to remain lucrative: there's no shortage of people willing to pay to see what I no longer will. And that's fine. If people are enjoying what the band are doing - and are enjoying what Roth is doing vocally - go see the shows and have a good time. Long as things remain the way they are vocally, I'm out.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
        I agree on the lack of marketing ability, skills and knowledge... add to that I also believe Ed and Al, plus Dave to a certain degree lack the ability to get a damn thing done without a manager and the support of a record company type of team to push them to complete any credible body of work. Throughout their careers... someone else did all the work, while the band showed up, plugged in, performed and their bank accounts magically filled up.

Before someone shows up here gushing over what a business genius Diamond Dave was... I've always questioned Dave's taking credit for being the motivated business force behind Van Halen and even his solo career. Behind all that greatness was management teams busting their asses to make sure nothing got fucked up along the way. Just look at the disasters and miles long trail of wreckage Dave has left in shambles the last 15-20 years of managing his own catalog, media and legacy...

Without any viable management... look at what we, the fans, get...

There was a time I held hope that posthumously someone would step in and breathe life into the vast musical catalog of recorded live shows and unreleased studio material... but that pipe-dream has faded if you were to look at the web of defunct LLC's and contracts among so many various parties who'd have a legal interest in all of that material. None of the original band member's estates are worth enough to pay attorneys enough to untangle the legal mess tied to the music... and release any of it.
        Yeah, well, to hear Dave at times tell it, he was the genius behind all of that CVH marketing. You never do hear Dave mention the names Noel Monk or Pete Angelus with any type of frequency in terms of sharing the credit. Left to his own devices, essentially managing himself, we got YFLM, the Vegas stint, Strumming with Van Halen, Van Halen lullabyes for toddlers, etc.

As for Ed and Al, it doesn't take a sense of business genius to license the red/black/white EVH Franky Stripes and allow them to be slapped on everything under the sun...much the same as when Ed finally called all the shots in the wake of Hagar's 1996 departure, we got Van Halen III for our troubles.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Terry
          Suffice to say, I'm not hearing what you've been hearing as of late re: Dave's live vocals.

I mean, it's good that you enjoyed the show you saw in 2015. Honestly. I wouldn't want a paying audience member of any concert (even a band I have no use for) to experience a substandard show.

Maybe Dave did have a good night in Montreal in 2015 to your ears.

For me, Dave's vocal approach significantly lessened my enjoyment of the 2012 gig I saw: roughly 50% of the time he was singing, Roth sounded shitty. That approach was audibly evident all over the Tokyo Dome album, and was all over the several 2015 gigs I watched on youtube prior to tickets going on sale for my area. From what I heard of that recent clip, that strained yelp is still central to Roth's vocal strategy.

All Roth has to do is drop the yelp and simply sing the tunes in key. I'm not asking for much out of the guy. I have no expectations about him leaping around onstage anymore. I have no expectations that he's gonna start letting out his old trademark barefoot on hot coals shrieks. I do expect he's going to sing the tunes as close to in key as he possibly can and not yelp his way through tune after tune, ruining the lead vocals with his off key yelling. Which is to say, if the band wants any more of my money, that's the expectation Roth will have to meet.

It doesn't matter, because Van Halen with Roth at the helm in terms of the legend is such that the shows don't have to be particularly good anymore to remain lucrative: there's no shortage of people willing to pay to see what I no longer will. And that's fine. If people are enjoying what the band are doing - and are enjoying what Roth is doing vocally - go see the shows and have a good time. Long as things remain the way they are vocally, I'm out.
          Hi Terry,
          I think you are confusing him with me he attended the Toronto show in 2015 lol "Maybe Dave did have a good night in Montreal in 2015 to your ears." You did have to answer to the same kind of comment a few years ago that I made but to my defense I have never attended a VH "Event" as Dave puts it, sober...Anyways Dave getting old Ed getting old and we are all getting old. So memories is all we have now.
          Cheers!
          STIL
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• So this is love
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

"All Roth has to do is drop the yelp and simply sing the tunes in key. I'm not asking for much out of the guy. I have no expectations about him leaping around onstage anymore." I agree, this is all we are asking for.
            Last edited by So this is love; 04-22-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

"Long as things remain the way they are vocally, I'm out." Well maybe its time to have a get together with some of the good people at this site such as Vain, 78/84 and others if VH ever tour again and it FLA.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by So this is love
                Hi Terry,
                I think you are confusing him with me he attended the Toronto show in 2015 lol "Maybe Dave did have a good night in Montreal in 2015 to your ears." You did have to answer to the same kind of comment a few years ago that I made but to my defense I have never attended a VH "Event" as Dave puts it, sober...Anyways Dave getting old Ed getting old and we are all getting old. So memories is all we have now.
                Cheers!
                STIL
                I think daveroth, who I was replying to, said he had attended the Van Halen show in Toronto in 2015 when he was responding to me...I mean, I definitely knew I wasn't confusing you with him...I think (?) Cheers to you.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  How long is that now?

I prefer it to the Casey Jones look but both are kind of odd.
                  I think the black and gold along with a blue and gold ones showed up in 2007... they replaced the pin stripped suit from the radio days.

The Carhart bib-overalls showed up during the Strummin With the Devil era... he should have stuck with that look exclusively. That venture at least got Dave back to singing in key, with proper melodies and none of that ear-cringing yelp crap...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Might as well YELP!

Comment

• Sarge
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Bon Jovi at the RNR HOF was Terrible! Thanks to those that mentioned it. I googled it and was mortified.

Breasts,
                      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Nov 2004

Nice to see you around, Doctor!

Maybe they shouldn't have mentioned it, so you wouldn't have been mortified?
                        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                          Dave sings baldly these days.
                          Trying to revive this thread a little. Hair ones will often get so delirious.

posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Couple pages of discussion is pretty good for a 3 song Gala™ gig...
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              Couple pages of discussion is pretty good for a 3 song Gala™ gig...
                              I agree, Zah. It was mainly for the pun.

Comment

Working...