ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Dance The Night Away Isolated Vocals

Next time someone says Roth was a crap singer remember how quickly this album was recorded. This would have been done in a handful of takes, no computers and few drop ins.

Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-16-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-17-2019),Sarge (01-29-2019)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

I agree with the gist of your comment. But Monk mentioned that even in the 70's, it was possible to alter tape and use effects to aid vocalists IIRC. But this is clearly solid rock vocal musings...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course this has been posted here before, but I think Dave uses is voice here brilliantly almost scat singing and using his voice as an instrument to complement the music overall:

5. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (01-17-2019),Terry (04-23-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't recall which album or song recording session it was, but Dave had apparently been living clean and getting is shape for the following tour and his vocals seemed a bit not Dave, so Monk ordered him to drink alcohol, smoke, and eat a cheeseburger to deliver his raspy signature yelps, IIRC...

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Wow, I thought that sounded great! And it was probably a 2-Marlboro and shot of Jack take. Perfect.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree with the gist of your comment. But Monk mentioned that even in the 70's, it was possible to alter tape and use effects to aid vocalists IIRC. But this is clearly solid rock vocal musings...
    Yeah they could add in some subtle echo and do a few things. If you listen to Dave live he's singing through some effects. Subtle but they are there. Also the use of background singing would help Dave out too. It worked. It's rock and roll and is supposed to be a little rough around the edges. I always viewed Roth as a frontman entertainer more than a singer. When you were a teenager in the late 70's and early 80's the dude was cool. We ate it up.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 06:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This is so good.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

There would be basic effects and you could drop in fixes but it was time consuming and back then you would redo a line at a time. By the time of ADKOT vocals were being recorded virtually a word at a time and you can adjust the pitch and position of them with a few mouse clicks.

Live becomes mimed and so any C list celebrity can release a 'passable' vocal performance.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ghey. Another homoerotic post by slave SESH upon which 4 minutes of my life were stolen.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    I don't recall which album or song recording session it was, but Dave had apparently been living clean and getting is shape for the following tour and his vocals seemed a bit not Dave, so Monk ordered him to drink alcohol, smoke, and eat a cheeseburger to deliver his raspy signature yelps, IIRC...
    I think it was Jamie's Crying

13. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (04-23-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but when you check out bootlegs of, say, the tour supporting the Van Halen II album...the band are doing Outta Love Again and Roth is just flawlessly reproducing and nailing all of the screams in every section of the song (verses and choruses).

Granted, the lead vocal tracks on the CVH albums doubtless could have been spliced in from multiple takes (the vocal track for One Foot Out The Door comes to mind, where you can hear verse lines and edits when Roth completes singing one line and the next sung line immediately starts - and sometimes just very so slightly nearly overlaps the preceding one), but back in the CVH days Roth could replicate the stuff live. Like, in the club days just before the first album was released, he was singing On Fire just as well if not slightly better than the recorded version.

So at least early on, during the CVH era, Roth was able to recreate his performances from the records when the band played live least as far as the bootlegs demonstrate.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-23-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Yeah they could add in some subtle echo and do a few things. If you listen to Dave live he's singing through some effects. Subtle but they are there. Also the use of background singing would help Dave out too. It worked. It's rock and roll and is supposed to be a little rough around the edges. I always viewed Roth as a frontman entertainer more than a singer. When you were a teenager in the late 70's and early 80's the dude was cool. We ate it up.
    When Roth was in his prime, he had the physicality of his performance (with all the karate kicks, jumping splits off the drum riser) to add to what he was doing onstage. Along with his ability to reproduce the screams he laid down on the records. So back in the day if Roth failed to sing a verse here and there, or went off key here and there it didn't matter as much.

As he became less mobile and unable to produce those one of a kind Roth screams live, I think that's when I started concentrating more on the actual singing he was doing live: when THAT began to shit the bed, it's like, what is Roth still able to DO other than tell weird stories and make corny jokes?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    When Roth was in his prime, he had the physicality of his performance (with all the karate kicks, jumping splits off the drum riser) to add to what he was doing onstage. Along with his ability to reproduce the screams he laid down on the records. So back in the day if Roth failed to sing a verse here and there, or went off key here and there it didn't matter as much.

As he became less mobile and unable to produce those one of a kind Roth screams live, I think that's when I started concentrating more on the actual singing he was doing live: when THAT began to shit the bed, it's like, what is Roth still able to DO other than tell weird stories and make corny jokes?
    Diamond Dave was a young man's game. Yeah in a way all the antics, martial arts moves, and screams were so impressive we really weren't concentrating on his singing. With Ed burning up the electric guitar and Dave being Bruce Lee we were just floored. Hard to do when you are old and Dave is in great shape for his age. It's like going to war. You just don't perform like you did at 20 when you are 65. That's reality. Now in the case of Mick Jagger it still works for him. Mick is in good shape and has his choreographed moves. Voice is still good. Mick Jagger can still pull it off but he wasn't playing it at Dave's level. He wasn't jumping off huge drum risers.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Diamond Dave was a young man's game. Yeah in a way all the antics, martial arts moves, and screams were so impressive we really weren't concentrating on his singing. With Ed burning up the electric guitar and Dave being Bruce Lee we were just floored. Hard to do when you are old and Dave is in great shape for his age. It's like going to war. You just don't perform like you did at 20 when you are 65. That's reality. Now in the case of Mick Jagger it still works for him. Mick is in good shape and has his choreographed moves. Voice is still good. Mick Jagger can still pull it off but he wasn't playing it at Dave's level. He wasn't jumping off huge drum risers.
    Roth Army homoerotica 101, everybody.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And I don't even expect Dave to be able to do the physical routines that were part of his front man showmanship years ago. The last solo gig I saw of his back in 2006, he tried to do a kick. Not a high kick, but one where it looked like he was trying to get his foot up to shoulder height or so. He visibly lost his footing, and while he didn't fall he could just have easily face-planted himself onstage. Having seen a fair amount of his various solo jaunts post 1996 debacle up through 2006, you noticed how he was a little less mobile with each subsequent tour. And it's just a function of age.

But, yeah, that Diamond Dave persona just wasn't designed to age well, in terms of the comprehensive package. So as a fan I made allowances over the years for his age, because I had always enjoyed seeing him perform and have always enjoyed his music, both as a member of Van Halen and a solo artist. So he's gradually jumping less and less, screaming less and less...

Then one day it's 2012, and in addition to not jumping and screaming, he's not even fuckin' singing the tunes half the time anymore. But as a substitute I do get to see him do his Slip 'n Slide Disco Duck dance moves on his magic center stage dance floor mat. AND I get to see home movies of him wandering around what appears to be Wyoming dressed in his train conductor get up with a trusty sheepdog at his side...

I mean, fuck, man. I guess I just reached the point where I was no longer willing for the sake of nostalgia to keep setting the bar lower when Roth couldn't be bothered singing the tunes.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Ghey. Another homoerotic post by slave SESH upon which 4 minutes of my life were stolen.
    I'm sure you won't be able to tell the difference from the other 39,419,996 worthless minutes of your existence...

20. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

private parts (04-26-2018)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, maybe. But they are much better when your worthless existence isn't involved.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Kunt. Please find a fire and die in it....

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No one will ever be able to sing a line like Dave at 0:29...never ever! That's classic VH all put in the simple phrase "from across the room".

It's Dave's "signature move", his "phantom punch" or his "strike". Call it what you want, but it's untouchable.

Hagar the horrible couldn't bring that on the table if his life depended on it.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2022 @ 04:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Next time someone says Roth was a crap singer remember how quickly this album was recorded. This would have been done in a handful of takes, no computers and few drop ins.
    Absolutely fantastic vocal tracks. How in the world do you get hold of this?

I've always maintained El Roth was a great singer and absolutely master entertainer. I believe he can't sing very well anymore, and is struggling to reproduce the CVH material.

Thread Information