Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries

Motherfucking Jury Duty

The is the second time I've been called up in less than 3 years. Fuck civic duty. Every time I go I get chastised for being a "hostile juror" because as I say:

"I don't like your fucking police."

"Your private prison system is a disgrace."

"Your strike me an in incompetent lawyer."

"I'm mentally fucked up in the head royal."

These stupid fuckers. Jury duty is for losers and ass stains
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Other than a normal schedule disruption... I wonder why so many people find jury duty such a negative thing..?

Most people find justice elusive... an opportunity to serve some justice up should quite interesting and fascinating.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Everyone has the right to be tried by a group of their peers. Kind of hard to have without juries. Random jury selection is one step that helps keep the justice system more just. I would hate to give all the power to the judges.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Everyone has the right to be tried by a group of their peers. Kind of hard to have without juries. Random jury selection is one step that helps keep the justice system more just. I would hate to give all the power to the judges.
    I've always thought that but sometimes I worry that juries are made up of the kind of people that can't avoid pollsters in a mall or even welcome the attention.

I mean would you want your future decided by a jury made up of Kristys?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Well, the joke here in America is along the lines of would you want to be judged by 12 people who weren't even smart enough to get out of jury duty?

However, I tend to take the opposite view. While I would agree that very few actually WANT jury duty (and good lawyers during voir dire can spot a prospective juror who is actually too eager to be selected for jury duty), I wouldn't trade the system we have. Were I a defendant, I'd certainly want to go with a jury than be subject to a bench verdict by a judge.

I think showing up for jury duty when called is part of the responsibilities of being a citizen.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well, the joke here in America is along the lines of would you want to be judged by 12 people who weren't even smart enough to get out of jury duty?

However, I tend to take the opposite view. While I would agree that very few actually WANT jury duty (and good lawyers during voir dire can spot a prospective juror who is actually too eager to be selected for jury duty), I wouldn't trade the system we have. Were I a defendant, I'd certainly want to go with a jury than be subject to a bench verdict by a judge.

I think showing up for jury duty when called is part of the responsibilities of being a citizen.
    Living in the US still beats living in Southern Sudan.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I've always thought that but sometimes I worry that juries are made up of the kind of people that can't avoid pollsters in a mall or even welcome the attention.

I mean would you want your future decided by a jury made up of Kristys?
    Haha! Well you got to work with what you got. The concept is good but sometimes all you got to work with is a bunch of idiots. We all can be fucked by stupid. You can be sent to prison by a bunch of idiots or rear ended on your bicycle by some idiot distracted by their cell phone.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The US inherited this jury system thing from Britain, France does things entirely differently.

I think my problem with it now as opposed to when I was a young fresh faced law student is a combination of the internet and just meeting lots of people and realising just how many people out there are pretty dumb.

When I say dumb I mean they don't engage with the world their life experience is work, crappy TV and/or an obsessive knowledge of sports.

If that sounds elitist, whatever. It's not a money or class thing if you decide to spend all your waking time obsessing about a football team rather than wondering about other things in the universe.

Add on all the inbuilt biases about race and everything else then I'm not sure any more about the jury system because there seem to be a huge bunch of people out there that live their lives based on what they would like to believe rather than facts based on evidence and they are also the people who are more likely to vote and turn up for jury duty. Note I'm saying more likely like a percentage swing not most or all.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-10-2018 at 12:23 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Living in the US still beats living in Southern Sudan.
    This is like the US infant mortality rate or healthcare for poor people thing in that I'm just surprised you don't try and set the bar higher.

Aim to try and be better than say Germany and then work your way up to Scandinavia rather than being happy beating Southern Sudan...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    No, really?

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think my problem with it now as opposed to when I was a young fresh faced law student is a combination of the internet and just meeting lots of people and realising just how many people out there are pretty dumb.

Add on all the inbuilt biases about race and everything else then I'm not sure any more about the jury system because there seem to be a huge bunch of people out there that live their lives based on what they would like to believe rather than facts based on evidence and they are also the people who are more likely to vote and turn up for jury duty. Note I'm saying more likely like a percentage swing not most or all.
    Peons and such. Good points Counselor.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure which is more desirable in a legal system... informed bias or uninformed bias?

Thread Information