Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Red Schlocker says he has a special announcement Monday morning...maybe he's gonna tell us he has terminal cancer and only weeks to live.
    He's coming out with a new line of liquor. Mezcal with a shot of cum in the bottle. Sammy said he got the idea sucking Mike's dick and then had a shot afterwards and decided they both went together well and why not sell it?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    This is the reality. If you were a classmate of Wolfgang growing up and you went over to his house and he started playing the drums and maybe playing a little guitar you would go cool! Damn. Wolfy is pretty good at that stuff. That's about it. Talent? Sure. In a at home kind of jamming way. He has some musical talent. I'm not denying that but what's there to sell. What's there to WOW! an audience? Nothing. Wolfie is local talent show level and his dad was one of a kind. I hope Valerie and Eddie realize their son is not going to make a living as a music performer. Hopefully they have a decent trust set up for him. Wolfgang has the benefit of being an only child and doesn't have anyone to fight with except maybe his parent's current spouses. Get a good lawyer as insurance Wolf. You dad has lived hard. Chances of him living to an old age aren't very good. I'm amazed he's still alive.
    Back in the early 1980s, me and three of my classmates all took up guitar at about the same time. Within a couple of years, all four of us had progressed pretty quickly to the point where our other classmates who couldn't play thought we were great. We weren't great, but just average to good in a garage band type of situation, and probably seemed better than we were because comparatively few of our other classmates had taken up the instrument. Like, if you could play the tapping parts of Eruption for your junior high friends in 1982 - which I could - everybody thought you were bitchin'!!

And I thought the lot of us were the shit until I got a little older, went up to The Big City, started going into clubs and seeing kids our age onstage in these clubs just blazing with ability. This was, like, 1987, 1988 and 1989. Some of these club bands were so fucking good, writing great original material, and I was still young enough and gullible enough to think that talent was all it took to "make it, man!" There was this one Big City band...man, I can't remember the name now, but I have clear memories of their lead singer...like, he could out-Tate the real Geoff Tate in terms of his range. Their guitar player came up with great riffs and these flawless solos. Good rhythm section. Memorable original tunes. If you heard them play and saw them play, you'd think there was no way they weren't going to "like, make it BIG, man!" Like every other great Big City Band I saw back then, this band went on to do...nothing.

Wolfgang's level of ability is basically commensurate somewhere between that of my and my buds at the peak of our garage band days and those Big City bands. As you say, he can obviously play the instrument. He has zero stage presence. It's not even an insult to say that he's there because of who his father is: everybody knows it. Ed has said it. He enjoys playing with his kid.

Should Wolfgang form a band of his own and put out his own music (has he already done this? not being sarcastic, just seriously have no idea if there's anything he has done not Van Halen related outside of the Tremonti stuff which wasn't exactly overwhelming), I suppose I'll be interested enough to give it a listen. That type of post-grunge/contemporary hard rock metal style Wolfgang seems to gravitate toward doesn't have much appeal to me even coming from bands who are already doing it, so the idea that Wolfgang will come up with tunes in that mold and be massively successful as a result...are any of the bands that have been doing that stuff for the last several years experiencing massive success?

I mean, even just in terms of his bass playing, nothing I've seen him do would even wow a limited demographic such as other musicians a la a G3 type tour. The kid isn't pushing any boundaries of technical ability on the instrument the way that Billy Sheehan did.

To be fair, there aren't exactly a deluge of new bands formed in the last ten years where one could term them massively successful in commercial terms that I'm aware of, so Wolfgang has an uphill battle in that respect from the get-go considering the genre. In general terms, nobody gives much of a shit about what new rock bands have been doing. Sure, some of these newer rock bands have sizable fanbases, but none of them have broken through to wider audiences the way a Led Zeppelin or Van Halen did. Wolfgang can afford to diddle with side projects like Tremonti or release a solo album that doesn't sell precisely because he has Van Halen money and the Van Halen name: he has a safety net. If his name was Wally Von Hiney and he was forming a new rock band, he'd be starving right alongside the rest of them given the amount of talent and ability he has.

Seems like a nice enough kid considering his upbringing, and people accepted him being added to the lineup at least enough to the point where it doesn't inhibit Van Halen from selling tickets. None of that should be confused with an overabundance of musical talent, though.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-23-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

So this is love (06-25-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    He's coming out with a new line of liquor. Mezcal with a shot of cum in the bottle. Sammy said he got the idea sucking Mike's dick and then had a shot afterwards and decided they both went together well and why not sell it?
    I can't wait to swill this new blend at Sammy's Fabulous Red Rocker Cabo Birthday Wabo Bash.

I enjoy going to it every year, furiously jacking myself off raw as I gaze into Sammy's eyes while he sings Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy.

I do so because I know that Sammy is singing that song just for me.

5. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Nitro Express (06-24-2018),VAiN (07-25-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I can't wait to swill this new blend at Sammy's Fabulous Red Rocker Cabo Birthday Wabo Bash.

I enjoy going to it every year, furiously jacking myself off raw as I gaze into Sammy's eyes while he sings Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy.

I do so because I know that Sammy is singing that song just for me.
    Get a grip on yourself man. Don't get too excited about riding Sammy's hairy ass.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think it was also mixed at 5150 if memory serves...I could be wrong, but for some reason I'm remembering when the album came out reading that it was created using both 5150 and an outside studio. That, yes, as you said, much of the actual recording was done at the outside studio (Hensen), but the mixing and finishing touches were done at 5150...or some such shit. Hard to recall now.

Wasn't overly thrilled with how the record sounded strictly from a sonic perspective. When you crank it up (be it on headphones or in a car/home stereo) even after fiddling with the eq levels it all tends to bleed into a mid range slush with little high or low end depth. I was probably a little less impressed with how it was engineered and mixed than the tunes themselves in terms of cranking the thing up. I think Wolfgang was fairly involved in the recording of it as well as choosing which old demos to rework, as well. While I still tend to think that without the kid joining the band Van Halen probably wouldn't have done any of what they did end up doing with Dave, overall the results were average to good at best.
    I agree with not enjoying the record from a sonic perspective... the only mix I enjoy is the vinyl version. It's only helped by the limitations of the vinyl itself. But my ears prefer those limitations because the sonic range breathes much more.

Here's a good article on the mixing of ADKOT... the 3rd to last entry details the technical aspects of what they aimed for in the final mix targeting CD's, MP3's and fucking ear buds. SMH... fucking ear buds!! Translating it down to those mediums fucked up the end result immensely... This is where the great Van Halen sound went to die in my professional assessment...

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/07/15/ross-...kind-of-truth/

8. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-25-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

This is the reality. If you were a classmate of Wolfgang growing up and you went over to his house and he started playing the drums and maybe playing a little guitar you would go cool! Damn. Wolfy is pretty good at that stuff. That's about it. Talent? Sure. In a at home kind of jamming way. He has some musical talent. I'm not denying that but what's there to sell. What's there to WOW! an audience? Nothing. Wolfie is local talent show level and his dad was one of a kind. I hope Valerie and Eddie realize their son is not going to make a living as a music performer. Hopefully they have a decent trust set up for him. Wolfgang has the benefit of being an only child and doesn't have anyone to fight with except maybe his parent's current spouses. Get a good lawyer as insurance Wolf. You dad has lived hard. Chances of him living to an old age aren't very good. I'm amazed he's still alive.
    Without inheriting anything I think Wolf could retire on the money he made from the two tours already. Not private jet retire but comfortable enough.

10. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Without inheriting anything I think Wolf could retire on the money he made from the two tours already. Not private jet retire but comfortable enough.
    You never know until you look at the books. Johnny Depp blew a $800 million wad. People assume he's rich. He still has a line of credit because he still has leaches working for him.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    If Wolf could get any priceless mentoring from the original Bass Player™ it would be investment advice from Michael Anthony...

Wouldn't hurt either if he learned a bit about MA's clean sound and timing synchronization with Uncle Al too...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

You never know until you look at the books. Johnny Depp blew a $800 million wad. People assume he's rich. He still has a line of credit because he still has leaches working for him.
    Really?

Boris Becker’s spending has been pretty spectacular too.

Wolfgang really doesn’t strike me as being that interesting though...

14. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Really?

Boris Becker’s spending has been pretty spectacular too.

Wolfgang really doesn’t strike me as being that interesting though...
    Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck regardless of what income level they are at. Most Americans have little savings. So if mom and dad are spending the money, that leaves little for the children in a trust. There's not the transferable wealth people think there is but people look rich because they have wasted all their money on the stuff that makes them look good. I used to work in the finance industry and saw lot's of examples of it. There is little owner's equity and most the assets are liabilities.

Wolfang is about as interesting as the people who pick up your trash. In fact. Those people might be even more interesting.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    If Wolf could get any priceless mentoring from the original Bass Player™ it would be investment advice from Michael Anthony...

Wouldn't hurt either if he learned a bit about MA's clean sound and timing synchronization with Uncle Al too...
    Haha! Mike is fuck em all. He downsized to a smaller home closer to the beach. Still has enough fast cars to have lot's of fun until he kicks the bucket. He's slowed down on his Jack Daniel's consumption to last a few more years.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Get a grip on yourself man. Don't get too excited about riding Sammy's hairy ass.
    Ohboy ohboy ohboy!!!

If he doesn't play Two Sides Of Love, I'll just...die!!!!

Just thinking about it makes me feel like Marcia in that Brady Bunch episode where she tries to get Davey Jones to sing at her school dance.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I agree with not enjoying the record from a sonic perspective... the only mix I enjoy is the vinyl version. It's only helped by the limitations of the vinyl itself. But my ears prefer those limitations because the sonic range breathes much more.

Here's a good article on the mixing of ADKOT... the 3rd to last entry details the technical aspects of what they aimed for in the final mix targeting CD's, MP3's and fucking ear buds. SMH... fucking ear buds!! Translating it down to those mediums fucked up the end result immensely... This is where the great Van Halen sound went to die in my professional assessment...

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/07/15/ross-...kind-of-truth/
    That article actually makes the way the product was mixed make more sense to me, as the only time I could really get it to sound halfway decent at a loud volume was to put the CD into my boom box and listen to it with headphones or put the cd into my hard drive and listen to it with headphones: my attempts at playing it loud without headphones always resulted in a mid-range mush just the louder I turned it up.

When the album first came out and I was listening to it frequently, I was always wondering why it was mixed the way it was...as in, why the hell was it mixed that way.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That article actually makes the way the product was mixed make more sense to me, as the only time I could really get it to sound halfway decent at a loud volume was to put the CD into my boom box and listen to it with headphones or put the cd into my hard drive and listen to it with headphones: my attempts at playing it loud without headphones always resulted in a mid-range mush just the louder I turned it up.

When the album first came out and I was listening to it frequently, I was always wondering why it was mixed the way it was...as in, why the hell was it mixed that way.
    Because fucking everything nowadays is mixed that way. If it's music or movies. If you watch "old" music on proTools it looks like mountains and a forrest. Now it looks like a fucking sausage. Normalized crap for iPhones and shitty headphones.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

20. 2 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-27-2018),ZahZoo (06-28-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    Because fucking everything nowadays is mixed that way. If it's music or movies. If you watch "old" music on proTools it looks like mountains and a forrest. Now it looks like a fucking sausage. Normalized crap for iPhones and shitty headphones.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
    Sadly, you are correct.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

A CVH tour with Wolf opening won't happen for the same reason nothing happens with these guys: it makes too much fucking sense. Vh rides off in to the sunset with the original lineup and Ed gets to hang out with his kid while touring. Works for me. New album with Mike? Yeah, the odds of that are even less than a tour with Mike, imo.

If the tour was to happen, I'd hope Dave would see it for what it is and step up his game like he did in 07-08. He coasted through the last couple of tours, with obvious results.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I agree with this and it takes me back to a thread I started here a long time ago and was reminded of when reading Monk's book. He basically stated what I thought, that Van Halen was burned out by the constant touring by the end of 1981 and needed a break and some vacations that might temper the constant drug and alcohol use indicative to a young band on the road in their era. But of course "(Oh) Pretty Woman" changed that and Warner pushed for more and yet more constant recording and unbroken touring took place until everything was untenable. Although, perhaps a breakup was inevitable in any case IDK. It does seem that Ed wanted to stand back a bit and slow down but lost any ability to collaborate in this period with the building of 5150 coinciding with Alex Van Halen consolidating his power as the (alcoholic) leader of the band and pushing Roth out...

The problem is process, as in there isn't any. The six pack featured creative input from nearly everyone and Roth was able to give Eddie much needed feedback on what was good and on what sucked. As Monk stated, despite all his problems with Roth being a "sociopath" narcissist, he "knew what the people wanted" whereas Ed was becoming entranced with less pop and a more artistic approach that brought Fairwarning, perhaps their best (but least commercially successful) album, one that required payola to reach platinum sales. Ed basically turned his back on a winning formula and gradually became the king of his hermit kingdom at 5150. That's why AKOT sort of sucks in my opinion, it was done by phone-in. That's now how real bands work...
    It's ironic to me that band "breaks" were flash points in the departure of both Roth and Hagar. After reading Monk's account (among others) of Roth's departure and Sam interviews about his split, it sure seems like the VH brothers had a different interpretation of what a break was- either literally doing nothing, or something they approved of. In Roth's case, that became him being an asshole who ditched VH at their peak to become a movie star. In Sam's case, he was an asshole who wasn't a team player because he didn't want to leave his pregnant wife to work on the Twister soundtrack, then got manipulated in to doing exactly that.

Thread Information