• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

REELZ Breaking the band:Van Halen

So who saw this shit last night?

Eddie 'the oaf' Trunk doing his Hagar fanboy crap as usual...?

From our FB page -

My goodness, that REELZ special was HORRIBLE.

The bias and blame towards DLR was incredibly unfair. Yes, we all know that EVH and DLR butted heads. Yes, we know that DLR's actual singing voice was not great.

But they make a point of emphasis about DLR being drunk at the '83 US Festival? THE WHOLE FUCKING BAND WAS HAMMERED, TRUNK!

They made DLR the fall guy from the start. You could tell that by the previews when they only interviewed Hagar and Mike. Then Trunk says he was interviewed, and that just made matters worse. Fortunately, Greg Renoff held his own and was actually objective.

Then, they start on the Hagar era, and they say an absolutely blatant LIE that 5150 was the best-selling VH album of all-time! As a refresher for those who don't recall, VH I and 1984 sold 10 million albums each, 5150 only sold 6 million.

The only good think from this terrible show was, at least for me, that I had never seen the Stockholm 1984 video clips. I had only heard audio.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-25-2018, 09:10 AM.
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Pure embarrassing garbage.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm thankful I don't get the Reelz channel... based on all accounts I missed wasting any time on this turd...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

The missus was actually channel surfing on the night it premiered and told me it was going to be on in a couple of hours. I had actually forgotten about it airing prior to first reading about the program in a thread here and her telling me it was going to be on. I got distracted by something else, forgot to watch it, then forgot that I forgot to watch it prior to reading this thread. Judging from what you guys have said, it wasn't worth the bother.

Particularly if Eddie Trunk was being interviewed: why would I care to listen to him - again - say how he liked the band so much better after Sammy joined? That's his (or anybody else's) personal taste, fine, whatever. For me, the only era of the band REALLY worth remembering in terms of the music ended in 1985. From 1985 onward, the soap opera is far more interesting to me than the musical output.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          Pure embarrassing garbage.
          The Reelz Special or Van Halen?
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Sounds like a bad remake of VH1's Behind the Music. Sorry but the fascination of watching rock stars self-destruct is old. Peaking into the dirty underwear has gotten old.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

....and then Dave took a whole bottle of Vietnamese fish sauce and dumped it all on ten groupie's asses and threw a bucket of shrimp on them and proceeded to eat everything. Alex was rolling in a pile of Smarties candy and cocaine and licking it off an underage girl's tits. Eddie stared at the wall while Mike ate a bucket of chicken and washed the greasy mess down with swigs of Jack Daniel's. After years of this the band started to fray at the seams.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is Gary Cherone the guy playing Sammy Hagar? LOL

Comment

• silverfish
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                  I'm thankful I don't get the Reelz channel... based on all accounts I missed wasting any time on this turd...
                  I woulda watched if I had REELZ.
                  I still click around looking for on-line source or torrent.
                  Glutton for punishment I guess, but still...
                  Originally posted by sadaist
                  I don't mind that one Nickelback song. I just hate the fact that they put it on every album 10 times.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                    Sniper
                    • Feb 2007

Man, I've watched it about 5 times already. It's now clear that my all-time favorite band (Van Halen) will never get back together. With Michael talking about Ed/Alex parents being alcoholics, that just kills any hope for me. And also mentioning that Alex had to have a bucket right behind him so he doesn't pee on himself, like heavy alcoholics do. The latter isn't so bad, but you don't bring family into the drama. I'm so bummed. But since I still live and breath The Mighty Van Halen, it's still a good watch because of what appears to be upgraded US Festival footage and the Monsters of Rock footage, as well. And we all know Diamond Dave forgetting the lyrics to "Romeo Delight" was staged. No doubt he was hammered, but they all were. Hell Ed even messed up on "Cathedral." Mike is my all-time favorite bass player and was a huge influence on my playing, plus he is the nicest one in person out of the original "Big 4" but he shouldn't had did that interview.

Speaking of the US Festival. Is there anything better than at the 2:55 mark of this video? A kick followed by the best scream in rock. "It was heaven, right here on earth."

Drunk or not, Diamond Dave is the greatest front-man of all time!!
                    https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Personally, I loved it. Whereas can an out of work/failed actor get a gig other than playing a character actor of one of the worst bands of all time? My fav scene was when the F A T actor who played Eddie called the other F A T actor who played Spammy wanting to give him an apology blow job. The F A T actor who played Spammy was "no thanks..." Yeah, right.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                        Sniper
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kristy
                        one of the worst bands of all time?
                        Yeah the actors they got were terrible. Alex is not the best looking guy but they got a good looking guy to play him? Lol

Wait.. One of the worst bands of all-time? I hope you're talking about Van Hagar!

Comment

• Kristy
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Nope, Van Halen.

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                            Sniper
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kristy
                            Nope, Van Halen.
                            You're crazy, woman! Obviously you've never seen them in their prime. You're probably just basing your opinion of them on their shitty performance at the US Festival and other horrible quality videos. So if you don't mind me asking... Who is your favorite band?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by silverfish
                              I woulda watched if I had REELZ.
                              I still click around looking for on-line source or torrent.
                              Glutton for punishment I guess, but still...
                              It's on Youtube...

Comment

Working...