X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Craft beers didn't exist back then... it was all about alcohol content and getting drunk. The fashion elements are just marketing crap targeting men. Schlitz had the "Bull" and Colt had the "Gun"...

Based on US Alcohol regulations anything labeled "Malt Liquor" generally contained over 12% alcohol content and also had corn, sugar, or rice added to it to kick the fermentable sugars up to increase alcohol content. Beer generally fell below 5% alcohol and was mostly brewed from barley without the additives.
    I think it's safe to say Van Halen drank anything that was there for free although I suspect Schlitz was paying for some marketing here and I wouldn't be surprised if it came back to Monk and I wouldn't necessarily trust Van Halen Rising as the final word on anyting. Yes, there were a shortage of breweries as several thousand became less than 100 by the late 1970's. But I doubt the entire band had much preference either way. Drink a shitty beer or "malt liquor" with a high ABV or do a shot with a less shitty beer like Bud, PBR or Schlitz; I suspect that the beers were a way to keep a steady buzz on while still being somewhat hydrated and not getting too drunk. Aside from Alex, and later on Ed, I doubt the band drank 24/7 in the early years and gleaning Monk's anecdotes, they probably ate regularly and didn't drink until evenings most of the time...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The presumption here was that American beer was really weak until fairly recently but that was maybe because US Budweiser was.

Funny thing to compare is that in Russia until 2012 anything under 10% so basically almost all beer, wasn’t classed as alcohol at all. It was just a foodstuff so no restrictions on it at all age or otherwise. 🙂

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Had to laugh at this thread derailing into political bullshit... the subtle correlation of a bullshit docu-drama full of misinformation, lies and outright crap does align appropriately...

It did spark a nostalgic memory of the golden days of message board administration, where the moderators primary role was to keep topics on subject rather than be the constant source of derailing thread topics. But I'm keenly aware of tradition... this is the Roth Army...

Yeah, you tell 'em, grandpa.

Old, white men. Every one of them is a fucking fucktard embarrassment

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hey... If you're gonna run a fan site at least keep your main forum on-topic. It's a simple, easy administrative concept.

BTW... I don't have half as much grey as that old fuck. Sweaters are for pussies...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Okay, here a "on topic" discussion for you. Why are so many neighborhoods in America gone from this:

to this:

Only reason can be bands like Van Halen.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              I drank Schlitz Malt Liquor when I was a teenager. Can't believe anybody with money wouldn't opt for a better beer.
              When you are a teen you drink any alcohol you can get.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                The presumption here was that American beer was really weak until fairly recently but that was maybe because US Budweiser was.
                Malt liquor has ebbed and flowed in popularity. Currently, it's popular with the poor folk in the 'hood because of the alcohol content and they way it's sold in 24oz or 40oz containers and is cheap. Bud became ascendant over Schlitz and Pabst and the rest because of marketing and the taste for lighter, thirst quenching beers over flavor - a trend that seems to have begun after Prohibition was repealed and was accelerated by WWII and the use of adjuncts (like rice and corn) in place of wheat and malt. Here's a video about malt liquor!

And also the revolution in transport brought about by the rail and trunking industries made regional brewers collapse. The trend was reversed starting in the late 60's with the San Francisco brewery Anchor Steam, or with the rise of home-brewing and a few "microbreweries" making better quality beers starting in the late 1970's. In 1980 there were something like 100 breweries (without checking), today there are over 4000, and even the "microbrews" have been renamed craftbrews because they tend to make and awful lot of beer, though Bud continues to be a best seller...

Funny thing to compare is that in Russia until 2012 anything under 10% so basically almost all beer, wasn’t classed as alcohol at all. It was just a foodstuff so no restrictions on it at all age or otherwise. ��
                LOL Russian beer ain't bad, but it tastes like most Euro pilsners/lagers with a bit of the overcooked veggie finish...

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                  Sniper
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kristy

Only reason can be bands like Van Halen.
                  Didn’t Led Zeppelin sleep with 14 year old kids around LA? You seem to be a little uptight. May I suggest The Magic Wand? They don’t call “Magic” for nothing. It can even make Medusa orgasm.

1394A95A-1EDC-4938-9133-5B454070E76F.jpeg
                  https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Hey... If you're gonna run a fan site at least keep your main forum on-topic. It's a simple, easy administrative concept.
                    Knock yourself out...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Pretty easy to stay on topic when talking to yourself...

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

If only "Breaking the Band" mentioned Vanny Halen's white trash America that episode would have been worth the watch. But it was deffo dumbed down so all you dumb fucks could understand it on your 3rd grade reading level skills.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Whatever they drank it was donkey piss, as there are absolutely no fluids in the US that deserve to be called "beer" at all. No wonder they changed to imports.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            Pretty easy to stay on topic when talking to yourself...
                            Not really... my brain rambles around whether the external sound is on or off... LOL
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                              Whatever they drank it was donkey piss, as there are absolutely no fluids in the US that deserve to be called "beer" at all. No wonder they changed to imports.
                              Em, maybe back then. We now have craft brews that destroy any Euro cooked-veggie-swill...

Comment

Working...