• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

doing my best to forget about Van Hagar

note the display at the Rock Hall has the CVH wings logo and not the rings logo
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      And I will agree that in terms of the "Red Rocker" self-named moniker, I've never, EVER heard anyone call Sammy that. Nobody outside of Sammy himself and mtv vjs or vh1 vjs who were interviewing him. And this is after, what, 35 years of him promoting himself as the Red Rocker?
      To be fair, I do occasionally hear cheeseball DJ's that liked Van Hagar mention that, "oh zinger! We got the Red Rocker comin' up with Montrose. Stay tuned for some Rad Motor Scooter rocking and rollin!!".

But yeah, it's just Sammy's marketing nonsense. Just like his "I can't Drive 55" nonsense. Hell. I actually don't mind the song. But it's representative of Sam being a dishonest huckster and fake. He barely drove any of those "bad ass, Ferrari" sports cars. In an interview on one of those 80's syndicated radio interviews they used to do, Sam admitted he didn't like the color red on any of his sports cars or anything. A VH1 Pop Up Video of the 55 song also stated that Sammy couldn't drive a standard transmission and broke the Ferrari's clutch during the filming of the video. I mean, he had to have been over 30+ at the time and couldn't drive a manual trans. FFS, maybe you might not want to write a song about what a fast moving badass you are until fucking mastering a five or six speed stick! At least Ed, Dave, Alex and probably Mike can say they knew their was around performances cars by that point. But hey, they became "a Porsche with Sam in the band". Too bad the fucknuts couldn't drive it!!

But I bet Sammy was the king of the Vespa! Hey man, I can't like drive 55, man! No, I meant this thing struggles to pull 40!
      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-16-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• BumBahDeeDah
        Head Fluffer
        • Mar 2004

You should post that EVERYWHERE!!

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Van Hager in 2019

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            To be fair, I do occasionally hear cheeseball DJ's that liked Van Hagar mention that, "oh zinger! We got the Red Rocker comin' up with Montrose. Stay tuned for some Rad Motor Scooter rocking and rollin!!".

But yeah, it's just Sammy's marketing nonsense. Just like his "I can't Drive 55" nonsense. Hell. I actually don't mind the song. But it's representative of Sam being a dishonest huckster and fake. He barely drove any of those "bad ass, Ferrari" sports cars. In an interview on one of those 80's syndicated radio interviews they used to do, Sam admitted he didn't like the color red on any of his sports cars or anything. A VH1 Pop Up Video of the 55 song also stated that Sammy couldn't drive a standard transmission and broke the Ferrari's clutch during the filming of the video. I mean, he had to have been over 30+ at the time and couldn't drive a manual trans. FFS, maybe you might not want to write a song about what a fast moving badass you are until fucking mastering a five or six speed stick! At least Ed, Dave, Alex and probably Mike can say they knew their was around performances cars by that point. But hey, they became "a Porsche with Sam in the band". Too bad the fucknuts couldn't drive it!!

But I bet Sammy was the king of the Vespa! Hey man, I can't like drive 55, man! No, I meant this thing struggles to pull 40!
            Which...yeah, outside of lame cheeseball djs or vjs or himself, I've never heard anybody refer to Hagar as "The Red Rocker"...and it's such a stupid nickname anyway...

"The Red Rocker"...what the fuck is that even supposed to MEAN, anyway?

Ugh.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Which...yeah, outside of lame cheeseball djs or vjs or himself, I've never heard anybody refer to Hagar as "The Red Rocker"...and it's such a stupid nickname anyway...

"The Red Rocker"...what the fuck is that even supposed to MEAN, anyway?

Ugh.
              Probably means he's a Communist. There used to be a site called "Newsmeat" which tracked the political contributions of celebrities. Hagar's entries usually showed him contributing to two candidates. One was Chimpy Bush. The other was Congressman Dana Rohrabacher from CA, who is accused of being tied to Putin & the Russians nearly as much as Cheeto is. Even other Republicans in the House have made comments on the record about Rohrabacher and his Kremlin-friendly positions.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Probably means he's a Communist. There used to be a site called "Newsmeat" which tracked the political contributions of celebrities. Hagar's entries usually showed him contributing to two candidates. One was Chimpy Bush. The other was Congressman Dana Rohrabacher from CA, who is accused of being tied to Putin & the Russians nearly as much as Cheeto is. Even other Republicans in the House have made comments on the record about Rohrabacher and his Kremlin-friendly positions.
                The red scare and McCarthyism is back. Haha!
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• vanhalendlrband
                  Groupie
                  • Jan 2004

I think Hagar has to make whatever sentiments he has about the Van Halens public because he probably no longer has direct access to either of them in terms of phone numbers or whatever. So, he has to say these things in interviews as that's the only chance either of the Van Halens will learn of them. While I think Wolfgang might be paying attention to that stuff, I tend to doubt Eddie either knows about these interview comments unless someone is telling him what Sammy said, much less cares what Sammy has to say about anything these days.

I mean, Sammy basically spent a decade with the band...maybe 12 years total if you count the reunion tour. His first stint with the band ended on a sour note, and his brief second stint seemed like a bummer. Ed shitcanned him in 1996, then Hagar came back in 2004 and Ed was a full blown, head-case wack job to deal with: doubtless when Sammy first joined the band in 1985 the first several years were great in terms of everybody getting along. It ended badly, twice. Which naturally begs the question as to why Sammy wants back in with the band so bad: why would you go back to a situation like that even if asked, much less publicly lobby for it? Hagar is right when he says he doesn't need the money. So, what the fuck is it? To get one last tour in to make up for the 2004 tour? Because Hagar genuinely wants to patch things up with the Van Halens? Fair enough if that's what he wants, but if the Van Halens have no interest in making that effort, it's just a waste of time.

And, as you say Jerome, I'm sure Hagar could find a way to reach out privately to the Van Halens (maybe through Mike Anthony via Alex) rather than in an interview.

Maybe Sammy's reaching the effective end of his touring days and wants to go out doing a gig bigger than his annual, self-thrown Cabo Wabo birthday party. I dunno. Publicly criticizing the Van Halens (and on a personal level, from what we know about the Van Halens, they both frankly come off like a pair of assholes - talented musicians - but assholes nonetheless) for the better part of a decade just seems an odd way of trying to get back in.

Sammy just needs a hug...and all that jive...
                  Ill never forget when i was at the 2004 show in Vancouver when Sammy and Eddie started shoving each other on stage and then sammy sort of force hugged it out and the show went on when it seemed like it wasnt going to at all
                  When you think of Van Halen you think of David Lee Roth.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Spammy wants back in VH the same reason he joined in 85 and rejoined in 04.

MONEY.

Doesn't need it? Perhaps true. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want the money.

Hagar is an opportunist. He saw $$$ in 85 walking into arguably the biggest American hard rock band at that time. And he cashed in.

Unfortunately Van Hagar was simply an experiment that lasted a lot longer than it should have.

Even Ed knows it truly wasn't Van HALEN even though it still had the name attached to it.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...