Today @ 01:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,560 Times in 3,448 Posts

Sammy Called Alex on his Birthday and Dave for a Car Show

SAMMY HAGAR: I Reached Out To ALEX VAN HALEN On His Birthday

June 27, 2018 0 Comments
    SAMMY HAGAR: I Reached Out To ALEX VAN HALEN On His Birthday

Sammy Hagar says that he recently attempted to reconnect with his former bandmate in VAN HALEN, drummer Alex Van Halen. "I reached out to Al on his [65th] birthday [on May 8]," Sammy told SiriusXM radio host Eddie Trunk. "I sent him a nice text and an e-mail and a phone message, saying, 'Hey, Sammy here. Missed you, buddy. Hope you're doing good. Happy birthday. And if you ever wanna get together and talk, be buddies, be friends, here's my e-mail, here's my text, and here's my house phone number…' Nothing. Oh, and I said, 'How's Ed doing? I hope he's healthy. And give him my love.' Nothing. Nothing! Ooooh! I mean, that's, like, wow! I guess no waters went under that bridge. And when I looked at the bridge, it was dry. There's not a drop that comes down underneath that bridge."

Hagar also revealed that he asked original VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth to join him at his inaugural "High Tide Beach Party & Car Show", set to take place on Saturday, October 6 in Huntington Beach, California. "We invited Roth, offered to hire Roth to come and jam with my band at the festival," Sammy said. "And you know what his guy said? 'Oh, sounds interesting. We'll run it past Dave.' Then radio silence. [Laughs]"

Last November, Sammy said that he had lost hope there will ever be another VAN HALEN reunion, explaining that Eddie and Alex Van Halen do not want to reconnect with him as friends.

During an appearance on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation", Hagar revealed that he didn't hear from the Van Halen brothers on his birthday, which he interpreted as them having no interest in rekindling their friendship.

Hagar and Roth actually toured together in 2002, when neither one of them was in VAN HALEN, although Hagar told The Pulse Of Radio at the time that they weren't exactly pals.

Hagar, who exchanged tweets with Eddie Van Halen in January 2016, hasn't made music with Eddie or Alex since his final tour with VAN HALEN back in 2004.

In 2007, the Van Halen brothers, Wolfgang Van Halen and Roth announced they would be hitting the road for a reunion tour. Bassist Michael Anthony later told Music Radar that he "found out about that tour like everybody else did — in the press."

Anthony has played primarily with Hagar in the thirteen years since he last performed with VAN HALEN, in groups like CHICKENFOOT and THE CIRCLE.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sam...-his-birthday/
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, well, while I have no idea if Hagar has actually even physically spoken to either of the Van Halens since the 2004 tour ended - who knows for sure what goes on behind the scenes - I'd tend to guess he hasn't. Mostly because Hagar being who he is, if he had talked with either Ed or Al he would have publicly said so.

And Hagar's most recent public comments above are just the latest in a semi-frequent just plain weird series of interview comments Sammy has been making on the subject of a potential future re: Van Hagar for the last ten years since his autobiography came out. It's just this odd passive-aggressive stance Hagar has toward Van Halen not taking him up on his public reunion offer combined with amnesia on his part as to why the Van Halens aren't dealing with him: did Sammy Hagar forget what he had to say about Van Halen in his book?

I mean, it's no secret that Eddie was in dreadful shape for the 2004 tour, and that tour was shambolic as a result. The tour photos of Eddie along with all the youtube clips of those shows confirmed those suspicions while the tour was taking place in realtime, well before Hagar gave his inside take on those events in his book. It wasn't like the Hagar book was a revelation on that topic in general terms: some inside dirt on some particulars of Ed's behavior to be sure, but everybody knew Ed was fucked up. What Hagar's book did was squarely - and possibly even fairly - put the majority of the blame for that shitty tour on Ed's shoulders. Even assuming that was an accurate assertion to make, the feeling I got from reading those passages of the book was that Hagar had an agenda of making sure everybody knew it was all Eddie's fault and that Hagar didn't have a viable option (due to the nature of the contract he signed) of bailing on the tour (and saving the paying concertgoers from seeing a shitty performance) despite being aware that Eddie was too fucked up to play properly because Hagar would have been on the hook for millions of dollars for breach of contract.

So, Hagar kept his mouth shut at the time of the tour, went onstage, did the shows, took the money and fucked back off to his solo career after it was over.

Instead of just remaining silent about it, or perhaps making a brief comment in a post-tour interview if asked about the nature of that tour along the lines of "clearly, Eddie was struggling at times" and just leaving it at that, Hagar went into a detailed blow by blow account in his book of all the dirt behind the scenes...possibly in no small part to boost the sales of the book, then he went out and proceeded to do countless interviews promoting the book where he publicly blamed Eddie and held back nothing in terms of the details as to how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, let's leave the lack of common sense Hagar displayed in signing the tour contract after already having seen firsthand how fucked up Eddie was when they were recording the BOBW tracks to one side, as well as lack of character Hagar displayed in doing the tour knowing full well how fucked up Eddie was, pocketing the money and then going on to blame Eddie for all of it for profit a la his book.

Put all of that to one side.

Rightly or not on the part of the Van Halens, if you were in their position, would you ever want to reunite with Hagar again, much less remain friends? From what I gather, after the 1996 breakup, Hagar and the Van Halens hadn't seen each other prior to 2003. And they haven't been in contact with each other since 2004. So, in the last 22 years, they spent a total of one year together doing a few tracks and a tour that was fairly unpleasant for everybody involved. And Hagar has simultaneously publicly shit on them while putting the feelers out for another reunion every chance he gets. The small amount of time Hagar and the Van Halens have spent together in the last 2 decades - and the shitty quality of the brief time they DID spend together - doesn't leave me with the feeling that there IS any great friendship there to repair or rekindle. If I can understand that, why is Hagar having so much trouble getting it? If Hagar had such a shitty time as he publicly claimed over and over again touring with Roth in 2002, why is it a shock to Hagar that Roth has no interest in making a cameo appearance at The Red Rockers Jammin' Beach Jamboree or whatever the fuck it is?

You can't publicly - and repeatedly - burn your bridges with people then sit there and wonder why they don't want anything to do with you...unless you're the type of asshole who thinks it's everybody ELSE that has the problems and everything you've done is without fault.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 4 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (07-16-2018),heartbreaker (01-25-2019),Jetstream (01-30-2019),Seshmeister (06-29-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Fuck, it wouldn't matter to me one bit now if Dave gets booted out and Van Halen tours with Hagar again. It's not 2003, when I was annoyed that the Van Halens were wasting time diddling with Hagar when Roth was ready to work with them. I got no real interest in what the band are doing going forward with Dave in terms live work if it comes to actually paying money to see it, because what Dave is bringing to the stage with the band isn't worth the money to me anymore.

It's just this incessant, repeated whining over the last decade from Hagar about wanting to "be friends" with the Van Halens and wanting to tour with them again...like, STFU already, dude. Doubtless the Van Halens know you want to play with them again. EVERYBODY knows you want to play with them again. They've got no interest in dealing with you. You've got plenty of money. Enjoy your life. Shit, Hagar had a 40 year plus career that most professional musicians would define as successful, at least in commercial terms if nothing else. I mean, no sarcasm there, either. Be satisfied with what you accomplished.

Nothing less attractive than somebody who has had a level of success most would gladly take a fraction of complaining because he didn't get everything he wanted out of life. The lament of the entitled, I guess: boo-fucking-hoo, every single little thing I wanted out of life didn't come my way.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    There comes a point in life where the "high road" is no longer an option... Sammy Hagar... you've arrived.

6. 3 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (06-29-2018),Nitro Express (06-30-2018),Terry (06-29-2018)

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What a moron, really... Mentioning such private and unimportant stuff publicwise as birthday wishes is so absurd.

Who the fuck cares? The first dude who called him Spammy was extremely inspired.

8. Thanked Jérôme Frenchise for this KICKASS post:

Terry (06-29-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme Frenchise View Post
    What a moron, really... Mentioning such private and unimportant stuff publicwise as birthday wishes is so absurd.

Who the fuck cares? The first dude who called him Spammy was extremely inspired.
    I think Hagar has to make whatever sentiments he has about the Van Halens public because he probably no longer has direct access to either of them in terms of phone numbers or whatever. So, he has to say these things in interviews as that's the only chance either of the Van Halens will learn of them. While I think Wolfgang might be paying attention to that stuff, I tend to doubt Eddie either knows about these interview comments unless someone is telling him what Sammy said, much less cares what Sammy has to say about anything these days.

I mean, Sammy basically spent a decade with the band...maybe 12 years total if you count the reunion tour. His first stint with the band ended on a sour note, and his brief second stint seemed like a bummer. Ed shitcanned him in 1996, then Hagar came back in 2004 and Ed was a full blown, head-case wack job to deal with: doubtless when Sammy first joined the band in 1985 the first several years were great in terms of everybody getting along. It ended badly, twice. Which naturally begs the question as to why Sammy wants back in with the band so bad: why would you go back to a situation like that even if asked, much less publicly lobby for it? Hagar is right when he says he doesn't need the money. So, what the fuck is it? To get one last tour in to make up for the 2004 tour? Because Hagar genuinely wants to patch things up with the Van Halens? Fair enough if that's what he wants, but if the Van Halens have no interest in making that effort, it's just a waste of time.

And, as you say Jerome, I'm sure Hagar could find a way to reach out privately to the Van Halens (maybe through Mike Anthony via Alex) rather than in an interview.

Maybe Sammy's reaching the effective end of his touring days and wants to go out doing a gig bigger than his annual, self-thrown Cabo Wabo birthday party. I dunno. Publicly criticizing the Van Halens (and on a personal level, from what we know about the Van Halens, they both frankly come off like a pair of assholes - talented musicians - but assholes nonetheless) for the better part of a decade just seems an odd way of trying to get back in.

Sammy just needs a hug...and all that jive...

10. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

Jérôme Frenchise (06-30-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    whatever the fuck it is?

You can't publicly - and repeatedly - burn your bridges with people then sit there and wonder why they don't want anything to do with you...unless you're the type of asshole who thinks it's everybody ELSE that has the problems and everything you've done is without fault.
    Exactly and for why, he really really didn't need the money from the book. I think at this point things are so sour in that well that the biggest problem the Van Halen's have with Michael Anthony is he is friends with the twat.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Listened to an interview with Dave's uncle Manny that he did before he passed away. He said him and his wife saw a Van Halen show at the Staples Center when Dave was back singing with them. They went backstage to see Dave and Manny thought it was odd Dave wasn't allowing his friends to hang with him backstage. Dave said things with him and Eddie were touchy and he didn't want to have a bunch of his people back there because it might rub Eddie wrong. Sammy seems like quite the attention whore. He has to be the center of attention. In fact, Dave does a better job of disappearing than Sammy. Sammy is like Hillary Clinton. He just won't go away.

13. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-06-2018),Terry (07-01-2018)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Exactly and for why, he really really didn't need the money from the book. I think at this point things are so sour in that well that the biggest problem the Van Halen's have with Michael Anthony is he is friends with the twat.
    That's the key... so sour... especially where Hagar is concerned. In order to reconnect, Ed would have to deal with or at least come to terms with most likely the worst period of his public and private life. 1996 thru 2006... Hagar split up, Cherone failure, marriage split up, cancer, divorce, 2004 reunion, massive substance abuse, etc...

Taking all that shit into consideration, plus all of Hagar's public, humiliating commentary... I can easily see where there's no value in Edward Van Halen wasting any of his remaining life engaging with Sammy Hagar. Why go back there if you don't need or want to..?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    That's the key... so sour... especially where Hagar is concerned. In order to reconnect, Ed would have to deal with or at least come to terms with most likely the worst period of his public and private life. 1996 thru 2006... Hagar split up, Cherone failure, marriage split up, cancer, divorce, 2004 reunion, massive substance abuse, etc...

Taking all that shit into consideration, plus all of Hagar's public, humiliating commentary... I can easily see where there's no value in Edward Van Halen wasting any of his remaining life engaging with Sammy Hagar. Why go back there if you don't need or want to..?
    I would say Eddie Van Halen is retired. He looks pretty good these days. A big smile of shiny dental implants and he looks like he works out. He's riding a very ugly custom motorcycle around. Ed doesn't give a shit about Sam or Dave or whoever. I don't know what the EVH brand is bringing in but I imagine it's pretty successful. The Van Halen's are studio wankers and reclusive. They just get off playing music for themselves. They need someone else to drag em out and market them. Sammy likes the limelight and attention. He's like Mitt Romney. Doesn't need the money but loves the attention.

16. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-01-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I would say Eddie Van Halen is retired. He looks pretty good these days. A big smile of shiny dental implants and he looks like he works out. He's riding a very ugly custom motorcycle around. Ed doesn't give a shit about Sam or Dave or whoever. I don't know what the EVH brand is bringing in but I imagine it's pretty successful. The Van Halen's are studio wankers and reclusive. They just get off playing music for themselves. They need someone else to drag em out and market them. Sammy likes the limelight and attention. He's like Mitt Romney. Doesn't need the money but loves the attention.

I'd tend to agree that on a personal level at this point it doesn't matter much to Ed who sings for Van Halen. I haven't gotten much of a sense that the Van Halens look at what they have been publicly doing for the last ten years as much else beyond a guaranteed revenue source. In that vein, at least for the last two tours Eddie has treated the job with an acceptable level of professionalism and has consistently provided well-rehearsed performances that (unlike 2004 and the 2008 part of the first Roth reunion tour) aren't an embarrassment to watch and provide value to the consumers/customers. Not that this level of professional capability is a bragging point, but at least Eddie is willing to maintain that minimal standard. A standard that I honestly thought he wouldn't be able to reach given the 2004 tour, his befuddled displays at the NAMM show in 2006 and his relapse in 2008.

I mean, what Eddie is doing now isn't inspiring. He is merely serving up what somebody (Wolfgang, Azoff) told him people are willing to pay to see: him playing the CVH catalog in a competent manner with Roth at his side. I'd also agree that left to their own devices the Van Halens probably would be content to just "noodle" around in the studio and just jam, probably without even having any singer involved at all. When Ed took over the creative direction of the band 100% in 1996, we got Van Halen III out of it, followed by several years of nothing, followed by some half-assed Van Hagar tracks, followed by some Patented Eddie Van Halen Trans Trem Mega Sustainer Whammy Bar Harmonic shite for a porn flick "soundtrack" and a bunch of red/white/black Franky stripes slapped on nearly anything and everything under the sun.

It wouldn't be a surprise to find out that the Van Halens are somewhat bored yet resigned to the prospect of future touring. Shit, I'm not particularly excited at the notion of another CVH Greatest Hits jaunt, even if Mike Anthony IS there. Funny, but for all of Eddie's talk in 1996 of not wanting to be a nostalgia band like KISS, that's exactly what the band are now. They serve up the same setlist of hits tour after tour, throw in a few deep cuts here and there, then bugger off with their loot. Good work if you can get it. Replentish the coffers every three years, then back to the studio and hidey-hole mode. Because hidey-hole studio mode is good: nobody telling them they need to have a particular singer in the band, no expectations from a record label any more in terms of what music should be produced, no pressures or deadlines.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'd tend to agree that on a personal level at this point it doesn't matter much to Ed who sings for Van Halen. I haven't gotten much of a sense that the Van Halens look at what they have been publicly doing for the last ten years as much else beyond a guaranteed revenue source. In that vein, at least for the last two tours Eddie has treated the job with an acceptable level of professionalism and has consistently provided well-rehearsed performances that (unlike 2004 and the 2008 part of the first Roth reunion tour) aren't an embarrassment to watch and provide value to the consumers/customers. Not that this level of professional capability is a bragging point, but at least Eddie is willing to maintain that minimal standard. A standard that I honestly thought he wouldn't be able to reach given the 2004 tour, his befuddled displays at the NAMM show in 2006 and his relapse in 2008.

I mean, what Eddie is doing now isn't inspiring. He is merely serving up what somebody (Wolfgang, Azoff) told him people are willing to pay to see: him playing the CVH catalog in a competent manner with Roth at his side. I'd also agree that left to their own devices the Van Halens probably would be content to just "noodle" around in the studio and just jam, probably without even having any singer involved at all. When Ed took over the creative direction of the band 100% in 1996, we got Van Halen III out of it, followed by several years of nothing, followed by some half-assed Van Hagar tracks, followed by some Patented Eddie Van Halen Trans Trem Mega Sustainer Whammy Bar Harmonic shite for a porn flick "soundtrack" and a bunch of red/white/black Franky stripes slapped on nearly anything and everything under the sun.

It wouldn't be a surprise to find out that the Van Halens are somewhat bored yet resigned to the prospect of future touring. Shit, I'm not particularly excited at the notion of another CVH Greatest Hits jaunt, even if Mike Anthony IS there. Funny, but for all of Eddie's talk in 1996 of not wanting to be a nostalgia band like KISS, that's exactly what the band are now. They serve up the same setlist of hits tour after tour, throw in a few deep cuts here and there, then bugger off with their loot. Good work if you can get it. Replentish the coffers every three years, then back to the studio and hidey-hole mode. Because hidey-hole studio mode is good: nobody telling them they need to have a particular singer in the band, no expectations from a record label any more in terms of what music should be produced, no pressures or deadlines.
    In rock and roll years Ed Van Halen is very old. He's lucky to be alive. We shouldn't expect much if anything from the guy at this point. He left behind some great work. Ed sprayed his graffiti all over the world and we still have it. Frankly. He's probably enjoying a domesticated life. One he didn't have when being a rock and roll musician and having the pressure to produce new music and tour all the time. He probably just wants to eat his wife's pancakes in the morning and bury his face in her tits after playing with the dog.

19. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-06-2018),Terry (12-23-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    In rock and roll years Ed Van Halen is very old. He's lucky to be alive. We shouldn't expect much if anything from the guy at this point. He left behind some great work. Ed sprayed his graffiti all over the world and we still have it. Frankly. He's probably enjoying a domesticated life. One he didn't have when being a rock and roll musician and having the pressure to produce new music and tour all the time. He probably just wants to eat his wife's pancakes in the morning and bury his face in her tits after playing with the dog.
    Which, truth be told, aren't bad things (pancakes, tits) to want.

While I knew Ed was getting up there, for whatever reason he never struck me as OLD old until that Smithsonian thing a few years ago.

To be sure, Ed had already cemented his legendary status in rock and roll by the time 1985 rolled around. Kinda sucks that he has basically been coasting off it for the last twenty years, but that's his right: nobody is forced to buy what he has been selling.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Which, truth be told, aren't bad things (pancakes, tits) to want.

While I knew Ed was getting up there, for whatever reason he never struck me as OLD old until that Smithsonian thing a few years ago.

To be sure, Ed had already cemented his legendary status in rock and roll by the time 1985 rolled around. Kinda sucks that he has basically been coasting off it for the last twenty years, but that's his right: nobody is forced to buy what he has been selling.
    Ed has EVH Gear which is always coming out with new stuff. He’s now a pretty substantial player in the guitar and amp market. He did that smart by franchising his brand to other manufactures. I’m sure that is a profitable business. Then who knows what else he owns. He could own commercial real estate which he’s getting the rent on. Once you have the money the smart people put it to work. The reason Van Halen isn’t out there is they don’t need the money. One manager joked and said the main thing behind these reunion tours is the band members need money. Other than that they don’t want to see each other. Kind of like seeing your ex wife or people from high school you couldn’t stand. Meet them at the 30 year reunion and find they still are the same pricks they were in high school.

22. 2 users say thank you to Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (07-08-2018),Terry (07-08-2018)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, well, while I have no idea if Hagar has actually even physically spoken to either of the Van Halens since the 2004 tour ended - who knows for sure what goes on behind the scenes - I'd tend to guess he hasn't. Mostly because Hagar being who he is, if he had talked with either Ed or Al he would have publicly said so.

And Hagar's most recent public comments above are just the latest in a semi-frequent just plain weird series of interview comments Sammy has been making on the subject of a potential future re: Van Hagar for the last ten years since his autobiography came out. It's just this odd passive-aggressive stance Hagar has toward Van Halen not taking him up on his public reunion offer combined with amnesia on his part as to why the Van Halens aren't dealing with him: did Sammy Hagar forget what he had to say about Van Halen in his book?

I mean, it's no secret that Eddie was in dreadful shape for the 2004 tour, and that tour was shambolic as a result. The tour photos of Eddie along with all the youtube clips of those shows confirmed those suspicions while the tour was taking place in realtime, well before Hagar gave his inside take on those events in his book. It wasn't like the Hagar book was a revelation on that topic in general terms: some inside dirt on some particulars of Ed's behavior to be sure, but everybody knew Ed was fucked up. What Hagar's book did was squarely - and possibly even fairly - put the majority of the blame for that shitty tour on Ed's shoulders. Even assuming that was an accurate assertion to make, the feeling I got from reading those passages of the book was that Hagar had an agenda of making sure everybody knew it was all Eddie's fault and that Hagar didn't have a viable option (due to the nature of the contract he signed) of bailing on the tour (and saving the paying concertgoers from seeing a shitty performance) despite being aware that Eddie was too fucked up to play properly because Hagar would have been on the hook for millions of dollars for breach of contract.

So, Hagar kept his mouth shut at the time of the tour, went onstage, did the shows, took the money and fucked back off to his solo career after it was over.

Instead of just remaining silent about it, or perhaps making a brief comment in a post-tour interview if asked about the nature of that tour along the lines of "clearly, Eddie was struggling at times" and just leaving it at that, Hagar went into a detailed blow by blow account in his book of all the dirt behind the scenes...possibly in no small part to boost the sales of the book, then he went out and proceeded to do countless interviews promoting the book where he publicly blamed Eddie and held back nothing in terms of the details as to how fucked up Eddie was.

Now, let's leave the lack of common sense Hagar displayed in signing the tour contract after already having seen firsthand how fucked up Eddie was when they were recording the BOBW tracks to one side, as well as lack of character Hagar displayed in doing the tour knowing full well how fucked up Eddie was, pocketing the money and then going on to blame Eddie for all of it for profit a la his book.

Put all of that to one side.

Rightly or not on the part of the Van Halens, if you were in their position, would you ever want to reunite with Hagar again, much less remain friends? From what I gather, after the 1996 breakup, Hagar and the Van Halens hadn't seen each other prior to 2003. And they haven't been in contact with each other since 2004. So, in the last 22 years, they spent a total of one year together doing a few tracks and a tour that was fairly unpleasant for everybody involved. And Hagar has simultaneously publicly shit on them while putting the feelers out for another reunion every chance he gets. The small amount of time Hagar and the Van Halens have spent together in the last 2 decades - and the shitty quality of the brief time they DID spend together - doesn't leave me with the feeling that there IS any great friendship there to repair or rekindle. If I can understand that, why is Hagar having so much trouble getting it? If Hagar had such a shitty time as he publicly claimed over and over again touring with Roth in 2002, why is it a shock to Hagar that Roth has no interest in making a cameo appearance at The Red Rockers Jammin' Beach Jamboree or whatever the fuck it is?

I'm kinda amazed at this point people will put this much passion into talking about these guys anymore. Shit Terry you should write a book. The life of a frustrated Van Halen fan ! LOL ! I just can't bother with it much anymore. Release the vaults please, or something new that's decent. I think there was like another 20 demos recorded for A.D.K.O.T. ? If it's not Roth at the mic it's not worth my time. And I have zero interest in a $ 15,000 striped guitar. Or yoga pants. Fucking embarrassing man......

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I'm kinda amazed at this point people will put this much passion into talking about these guys anymore. Shit Terry you should write a book. The life of a frustrated Van Halen fan ! LOL ! I just can't bother with it much anymore. Release the vaults please, or something new that's decent. I think there was like another 20 demos recorded for A.D.K.O.T. ? If it's not Roth at the mic it's not worth my time. And I have zero interest in a $ 15,000 striped guitar. Or yoga pants. Fucking embarrassing man......
    Yeah, I'm kinda...well, less amazed and more disgusted at myself with my constant blathering about these guys after all these years. Makes me feel like I give more of a shit about them than they do, which is odd because after the 2012 tour I checked out in terms of interest in what they were doing. Like, why do I even care enough to bother? Must be some compulsion on my part, trying to figure out how it all went so wrong for one of my all-time favorite bands, perhaps because I was actually around when they were peaking and can remember back to when they could do no wrong.

I'd like to hear a new album and see what Roth and the Van Halens could come up with, but if one never materializes I won't feel like it's a shame it never happened.

25. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-24-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This nonsense is now on Youtube but I'm not linking this shit. One of the first lines is how "Dave was a staggering drunk that could barely make it through a show". I mean for fucking fuck's sake! That's ONE show and a complete mischaracterization and poorly sourced. They "furious at Daves' drunken performance?" They were all fucking drunk! Dave's erratic behavior? They were all drunks and on coke!!..

27. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-24-2018),Terry (07-08-2018)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The passion stems from the power and inspiration their music provided as a sound track to the lives of those of us who experienced that greatness at the peak of our own younger lives. The thing that fuels continued interest is the fact that the source of this is still alive and by all known accounts able to still produce their music...

To abandon the hope of more Van Halen music means accepting it's end. Not a happy prospect in my opinion. I'm not done... I see no good reason they should be either!!

To quote some sappy Peanuts thing I saw recently... Charlie Brown says to Snoopy: "You know Snoopy, some day we're all going to die..." The mutt replies... "Until that day we will all live..." ponder that a minute...

29. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-08-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    This nonsense is now on Youtube but I'm not linking this shit. One of the first lines is how "Dave was a staggering drunk that could barely make it through a show". I mean for fucking fuck's sake! That's ONE show and a complete mischaracterization and poorly sourced. They "furious at Daves' drunken performance?" They were all fucking drunk! Dave's erratic behavior? They were all drunks and on coke!!..
    I mean, doubtless Dave was a little fucked up at the US Festival, but it has never appeared to me that he "barely made it through" that particular show. It was an uneven/erratic gig, but there were plenty of bum notes from Eddie and Alex at the show if you listen to it carefully. I'm assuming the youtube nonsense you're referring to is the Reelz program, which, from everything I've read on this site, was on the whole an overly generalized take on the group.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The passion stems from the power and inspiration their music provided as a sound track to the lives of those of us who experienced that greatness at the peak of our own younger lives. The thing that fuels continued interest is the fact that the source of this is still alive and by all known accounts able to still produce their music...

To abandon the hope of more Van Halen music means accepting it's end. Not a happy prospect in my opinion. I'm not done... I see no good reason they should be either!!

To quote some sappy Peanuts thing I saw recently... Charlie Brown says to Snoopy: "You know Snoopy, some day we're all going to die..." The mutt replies... "Until that day we will all live..." ponder that a minute...

I mean, what you said is really the essence of it, in terms of the continued interest for fans of the band who were around at that particular age.

For that age group, Van Halen were "our" band. The Beatles broke up not too long after I was born. The Who had already past their peak by the time I was entering middle school. The Rolling Stones had put out at their last good album, Tattoo You, around the same period. Led Zeppelin were gone by the time that same period rolled around. These bands at the time seemed like they were the groups of my older siblings (or, in the case of The Beatles, my parents), so I wasn't particularly distraught back then at the notion that these groups were broken up never to reunite or disbanded or inactive.

Honestly, as absurd as it sounds today, back then I was more bummed out when Peter Criss left KISS than I was at the fact The Beatles could never reunite after Lennon's assassination: by the time Lennon was shot, The Beatles had been disbanded for virtually my entire life and even in 1980 the group seemed like some sort of historical artifact to me.

Van Halen was "our" band. They were peaking, tearing it up live, putting out one great record after another. Cracks were beginning to appear in the surface with the synth-driven tunes on Diver Down and 1984, but they were still blazing along. Roth leaving in 1985 was a shock to me. Even back then when CVH were working and probably 50% or better of my interest in the band was concentrated on what EVH was doing, Roth leaving was just a bummer...because this was "my" band, you know? Same thing when Criss, followed a couple years later by Frehley, left KISS: KISS was also "my band". KISS splits apart, Van Halen splits apart and I'm left with...Van Hagar and Bon Jovi in the wake of their demise to fill the gap?

And as you also say, as long as [the members of CVH] remained vertical and able to play, it seemed that one day they could put the pieces back together and bring it back home again. That's what made 1996 so thrilling for me. NOT the soap opera bullshit of the Hagar/Roth/Cherone (and God knows how many other contenders...Mitch Malloy? Billy Squier? David Coverdale? 3 of the last 4 front men of Menudo?) lead singer musical chairs behind the scenes intrigue. The thrill was the anticipation of the new music from CVH, and them picking back up from where they left off 12 years before.

Christ, when I think of what transpired in terms of the rock scene from 1984 to 1995, with all that pop 40 hair metal cheese balladry combined with groups I liked (Priest, Maiden) cratering, by the time 1996 rolled around who WOULDN'T have been excited with the prospect of CVH revving that engine up again?

And I gotta tell you, what has happened in the rock music scene SINCE 1996 hasn't on the whole been thrilling to me, either. Just an endless cabaret of old groups with fractions of their definitive lineups on endless reunion tours, along with newer rock groups that have all the necessary components (the right clothes, the right gear, the right onstage poses) to make great rock music save for the most important one: the songs. In this climate, am I still holding out hope that CVH will come back with a bang instead of going out with a whimper?

Ab-so-fucking-LOOOOT-leeee.

Considering the totality of the last 20 years of the band, and in particular the last 5 years, I'd be lying if I told you the chances of that hope coming to fruition are good. Long fucking odds. Accepting the end of that hope ISN'T a happy prospect from where I sit, and I'll still hold out some degree of optimism CVH will rise again - and rise for something beyond merely a farewell Greatest Hits tour (although realistically maybe said tour is the best one can hope for at this point, because the notion of them reuniting for another great album of new material and a tour and a future after that seems beyond any of their ambitions now), but emotionally I'm prepared for it all to end: the last 20 years have assisted in cushioning that eventual blow.

32. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (07-09-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wrong thread IAMO. I meant that for the Reelz thread and their shitty "docudrama" complete with a fuckwit psychologist with strong suit of redundantly stating the obvious...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ed has EVH Gear which is always coming out with new stuff. He’s now a pretty substantial player in the guitar and amp market. He did that smart by franchising his brand to other manufactures. I’m sure that is a profitable business. Then who knows what else he owns. He could own commercial real estate which he’s getting the rent on. Once you have the money the smart people put it to work. The reason Van Halen isn’t out there is they don’t need the money. One manager joked and said the main thing behind these reunion tours is the band members need money. Other than that they don’t want to see each other. Kind of like seeing your ex wife or people from high school you couldn’t stand. Meet them at the 30 year reunion and find they still are the same pricks they were in high school.
    Sort of along the lines of when Facebook first got really big about a decade ago. Joined it, reconnected with former classmates I hadn't seen in 20-odd years. Haven't lived in my old hometown/state in ages, but plenty of my former classmates still do. After the initial exchange of greetings and catching up, there isn't all that much to talk about with most of them. I'd say out of 150 old classmates I reconnected with online, there were maybe 4 of them where both I and they actually wanted to re-establish on offline/realworld relationship going forward. Am still FB friends with the other 146, but when I do go back to my old hometown/homestate to visit my parents, it never even occurs to me to tell any of the 146 that I'll be in town if they want to hook up for a visit.

Not a particular shock that Roth and the Van Halens, despite reuniting, don't see much of each other these days when they're not doing a tour: Van Halen is a business arrangement. By the end of CVH's initial run, Roth and the Van Halens weren't spending much time with each other when they weren't working out of a pure desire to just hang back and socialize, so why would that necessarily change now?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

I mean, doubtless Dave was a little fucked up at the US Festival, but it has never appeared to me that he "barely made it through" that particular show. It was an uneven/erratic gig, but there were plenty of bum notes from Eddie and Alex at the show if you listen to it carefully. I'm assuming the youtube nonsense you're referring to is the Reelz program, which, from everything I've read on this site, was on the whole an overly generalized take on the group.
    All 4 of them were fucked up at the US Festival.... and yet it was still a far better performance than anything they did post 1984, either individually or together. (well, 3 of the 4 together anyway)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell, even in the three song excerpt from the show which was released to ... some cable TV channel (Showtime?? eMpTyV?? I forget who broadcasted the edited version of the show) All the audio overdubs don't hide the alcohol..... but I'll take it over Sammy bleating out "Where Eagles Die" or Cherone finger fucking himself on stage anytime.

37. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-24-2018)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Wrong thread IAMO. I meant that for the Reelz thread and their shitty "docudrama" complete with a fuckwit psychologist with strong suit of redundantly stating the obvious...
    No worries... this place is kinda like a retirement home where someone always wanders down the hall mumbling some incoherent shit only they have a clue what they are babbling about... maybe. LOL

39. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-24-2018),Terry (07-10-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    No worries... this place is kinda like a retirement home where someone always wanders down the hall mumbling some incoherent shit only they have a clue what they are babbling about... maybe. LOL
    I occasionally stumble down the halls with my dick hanging out hitting on staff members if they want to have sex.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You're a sick man, Nitro...

42. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (07-24-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You're a sick man, Nitro...
    Naw. I just pinch the nurses on the ass because after I do that they sedate me and the drugs are good!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why is Sam even bothering to call Dave? Sam's said the '02 tour didn't go well as he thought Dave was a prick on that tour and in general. They're not friends. Is it really that surprising Dave didn't want to hang out and "jam"? If somebody who I didn't like and wasn't a friend called and left a message about partying and hanging out, I ain't returning that call, especially if there is a lot of negative history like Sam and Dave have.

As far as the Van Halens go, they said repeatedly and adamantly over the years that they would never do anything with Dave again and look how that played out. Stick with those High Hopes Sam! If they can reunite with the devil himself, then maybe, just maybe, you'll get your chance to whip up another batch of Poundcake!

As a mental exercise, if Ed told Sam that he'd reunite for a tour on one condition, no MA, does Sam throw Mike under the bus and accept, even if Mike gave his blessing on that arrangement?

45. Thanked chuckjitsu for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-10-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Why is Sam even bothering to call Dave? Sam's said the '02 tour didn't go well as he thought Dave was a prick on that tour and in general. They're not friends. Is it really that surprising Dave didn't want to hang out and "jam"? If somebody who I didn't like and wasn't a friend called and left a message about partying and hanging out, I ain't returning that call, especially if there is a lot of negative history like Sam and Dave have.
    Probably just so he could have something to say in his next set of interviews.

47. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-10-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

As far as the Van Halens go, they said repeatedly and adamantly over the years that they would never do anything with Dave again and look how that played out. Stick with those High Hopes Sam! If they can reunite with the devil himself, then maybe, just maybe, you'll get your chance to whip up another batch of Poundcake!

As a mental exercise, if Ed told Sam that he'd reunite for a tour on one condition, no MA, does Sam throw Mike under the bus and accept, even if Mike gave his blessing on that arrangement?
    If Mike gave his blessing to him, I think Sammy would do it. Because Sammy is in no position to negotiate otherwise: it's not 2003, where the 2nd attempt to reunite with Roth failed and the Van Halens had no other viable option. Mostly because now I tend to doubt the Van Halens give much of a shit one way or the other if they tour again. That could change, obviously, if they needed the money and Roth wasn't available.

I mean, I suppose Sammy could stick to his guns and insist Mike Anthony is part of the deal, but another - perhaps more pertinent - mental exercise would be to ponder if Mike Anthony would actually tour with Van Halen under ANY circumstances if asked. Mike's blessing to Sammy could well be along the lines of "if you want to hit the road with those assholes, I honestly hope you have a good tour, but count me out...after years of sitting back and letting them whittle away my share of the profits while I stayed loyal, Ed getting rid of me was the best thing that could have happened to me: [Ed] did me a favor, even though the way it went down sucked."

49. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (07-13-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Probably just so he could have something to say in his next set of interviews.
    That literally may well be the case: "I reached out to the Van Halens and Roth, but nobody called me back!! I'm not the bad guy, here!"

Um...was anybody out there HOPING Van Halen would reunite with Hagar? Or hoping Roth would jam with Hagar at one of his solo shows?

It's like Sammy's setting himself up to give an answer to a question that nobody outside of shit-stirring interviewers was even asking.

Unless there is some massive interest in Hagar getting back together with Van Halen that I'm unaware of. There didn't really seem to be THAT much interest in it 15 years ago, if the half-filled halls were any indication.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    That literally may well be the case: "I reached out to the Van Halens and Roth, but nobody called me back!! I'm not the bad guy, here!"

Um...was anybody out there HOPING Van Halen would reunite with Hagar? Or hoping Roth would jam with Hagar at one of his solo shows?

It's like Sammy's setting himself up to give an answer to a question that nobody outside of shit-stirring interviewers was even asking.

Unless there is some massive interest in Hagar getting back together with Van Halen that I'm unaware of. There didn't really seem to be THAT much interest in it 15 years ago, if the half-filled halls were any indication.
    Oh come on. We are all itching to hear Up for Breakfast live. I would pay $400 a ticket to see it.

52. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Actually. I want to see Ed completely lose it Billy Joel style and watch him beat Sammy to a pulp with his guitar. Then throw the remains of Sammy into the audience and watch the crowd eat him.

54. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2018)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh come on. We are all itching to hear Up for Breakfast live. I would pay $400 a ticket to see it.
    You sure about that??

Not even Sobolewski's backing vocals can save that turd.

56. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2018)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He's 71 in a few months - they could rework it as 'Up for prostate'

58. 3 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (07-11-2018),Terry (07-11-2018),ZahZoo (07-12-2018)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    She fondles my berries and I want her cherries but I got to find my Viagra. Memory is shit but I want tits, got to find my Viagra. Her tunnel of love is open but I need viagra for my banana. I ate her oysters and sucked her clams but it ain't Flintstone vitamins I need. I need the blue pill to get a thrill. Until then it's just a dream, to shoot my creme all over her melons.

60. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2018)

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    08-25-2020 @ 11:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sam had a few songs with decent lyrics but many, many more were just pathetically awful just like this stinky turd.

62. Thanked Grit for this KICKASS post:

Terry (07-11-2018)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If Mike gave his blessing to him, I think Sammy would do it. Because Sammy is in no position to negotiate otherwise: it's not 2003, where the 2nd attempt to reunite with Roth failed and the Van Halens had no other viable option. Mostly because now I tend to doubt the Van Halens give much of a shit one way or the other if they tour again. That could change, obviously, if they needed the money and Roth wasn't available.

I mean, I suppose Sammy could stick to his guns and insist Mike Anthony is part of the deal, but another - perhaps more pertinent - mental exercise would be to ponder if Mike Anthony would actually tour with Van Halen under ANY circumstances if asked. Mike's blessing to Sammy could well be along the lines of "if you want to hit the road with those assholes, I honestly hope you have a good tour, but count me out...after years of sitting back and letting them whittle away my share of the profits while I stayed loyal, Ed getting rid of me was the best thing that could have happened to me: [Ed] did me a favor, even though the way it went down sucked."
    Honestly, I think MA would tour with VH again if asked, for no other reason than doing it for the fans, which he's expressed as his main/primary rationale for past tours. I find it sadly ironic that the guy who cares most about the fans isn't even in the band! I certainly wouldn't blame him if he told the Van Halens to go piss up a rope if he was asked to tour.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I think MA would tour with VH again if asked, for no other reason than doing it for the fans, which he's expressed as his main/primary rationale for past tours. I find it sadly ironic that the guy who cares most about the fans isn't even in the band! I certainly wouldn't blame him if he told the Van Halens to go piss up a rope if he was asked to tour.
    I think Mike would tour with Van Halen if asked, as you said, doing it strictly for the fans. I think the thing with that is that the Van Halens more likely than not wouldn't ask him. It would have to be something along the lines of 2004, when Sammy insisted Mike was part of the band: I think if Ed could have gotten away in 2004 with having Wolfie in the band THEN, he would have.

And it was clear from the public remarks he made a few years ago that Ed hasn't grown to appreciate Anthony's skills more since Anthony was fired.

I mean, were I in Anthony's shoes, I'd need a sit-down with the Van Halens and Roth to get some shit straight prior to a CVH reunion. Shit about money and common courtesy/respect. As in, you will give me what I am due in both those areas, or you can fuck yourselves. However, I'd like to believe I think enough of myself not to have let myself be treated the way Anthony allowed the Van Halens and Roth to treat him, so I suppose I would have never been in Anthony's shoes in the first place.

Thread Information