Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sammy Called Alex on his Birthday and Dave for a Car Show

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sammy wants to be 'friends' only for the agenda of then convincing the brothers to have one more tour with him and Hagar probably would also want one last album with Van Halen, even better if he could share the stage and the album with Dave and Van Halen because then it legitimizes to an extent their classic catalog with him. It's simple. Yes, it's not the money and it's not to be friends because they really are not, but to secure his legacy as a legit part of Van Halen which trumps anything else he ever did in his career and that notoriety has evaporated a long time ago. They simply do not play Van Hagar much on the radio, the songs are not consider classic. Popular music is fickle and short lived to an extent, even when you are considered 'legendary'. Really does not matter how shitty Dave sings now, if he remains the lead singer even in a retired band, Hagar will be forgotten and Roth becomes the only lead singer in retrospect... Dave knows this, and surely does Hagar who has to list his nickname 'the Red Rocker' on his social media because unlike a true nickname, he has to remind people of this while Dave ends up being the diamond which lasts forever
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 3 users say thank you to Jetstream for this KICKASS post:

chuckjitsu (07-15-2018),DavidLeeNatra (07-23-2018),Terry (07-15-2018)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-17-2024 @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Sammy wants to be 'friends' only for the agenda of then convincing the brothers to have one more tour with him and Hagar probably would also want one last album with Van Halen, even better if he could share the stage and the album with Dave and Van Halen because then it legitimizes to an extent their classic catalog with him. It's simple. Yes, it's not the money and it's not to be friends because they really are not, but to secure his legacy as a legit part of Van Halen which trumps anything else he ever did in his career and that notoriety has evaporated a long time ago. They simply do not play Van Hagar much on the radio, the songs are not consider classic. Popular music is fickle and short lived to an extent, even when you are considered 'legendary'. Really does not matter how shitty Dave sings now, if he remains the lead singer even in a retired band, Hagar will be forgotten and Roth becomes the only lead singer in retrospect... Dave knows this, and surely does Hagar who has to list his nickname 'the Red Rocker' on his social media because unlike a true nickname, he has to remind people of this while Dave ends up being the diamond which lasts forever
    Everything you said...it honestly feels that way on Sammy's part.

I don't want to believe it, not because I think Hagar is beneath that type of mindset. but...fuck, the dude is 70 years old now? Or thereabouts? And still, despites his decades-long bravado of claiming how his version of Van Halen had all those #1 albums and more top 40 hits than CVH, it clearly bugs him that in terms of popular consensus David Lee Roth was probably considered the definitive lead singer of Van Halen.

And it's funny, because financially Hagar is better off than the Van Halens or Roth. So, in that respect, he "won"...okay, great! Be happy with that!! And you're totally right about that Hagar-floated scenario about Sammy and Dave both touring with the band, each doing a set. It is Hagar's fear that Van Halen will conclude or retire with Roth at the helm before Sammy can get in one last tour with the band. So Hagar has no compunctions about doing another co-headlining tour with Roth. Much the same way Hagar had no compunctions about showing up at the RnRHoF VH induction with Michael Anthony in tow, even when it was clear that neither Roth nor the Van Halens were going to be there: I'm gonna make sure the public remembers I was a part of Van Halen, even if I look ridiculous doing so. Why else would Hagar want Roth to show up at one of Hagar's solo gigs now? Because he knows that Roth is basically washed up now.

And while there is some Van Hagar still played on the radio, it's not nearly the amount of what radio is still playing re: CVH. And the Van Hagar that still IS played on the radio is that cheesy 80s synth pop top 40 drivel Van Hagar specialized in. And that is probably another thing that Hagar is afraid of, that the version of Van Halen HE was in will always be known as primarily a bunch of synth pop rock balladry. And he's right to worry about that - now - because in the long run the hard rock tunes Van Hagar did simply don't stack up against what CVH did.

If Hagar was told through management that the Van Halens were interested in burying whatever misgivings exist between the Van Halens and Hagar and refraining from making unfriendly public comments (and I don't think the Van Halens really have any misgivings toward Hagar so much as the guy just doesn't enter their calculations in any way these days: I haven't heard Ed or Al say a word about the guy since 2005) going forward, but that the Van Halens weren't interested in touring/recording/working/hanging out with Hagar, does anybody think Hagar would be fine with that? I mean, if Hagar's sole interest were establishing a friendly relationship with the Van Halens for altruistic reasons that didn't have anything to do with a future Van Hagar tour, I'm sure Hagar could find a way to reach out to the Van Halens. Or, Hagar could just stop talking about the Van Halens in interviews. When asked, Hagar could say "hey, you know, clearly there were points when I was in the band where me and Eddie didn't get along...and that stuff has been told and retold a million times...I'm not interested in rehashing whatever private squabbles I had with the Van Halens 15 or 25 years ago...I've done enough of that through the years when asked in interviews, mostly because I was angry with those guys...and I have nothing new to say on that topic anyway, and I'd like to think me and those guys could become friendly again...none of us are getting any younger, and none of us need this bullshit publicly aired for the millionth time, because it serves no positive purpose...I haven't closed the door on playing with those guys again, and I think they know that, and if it happens, great...if not, I'll still value the time I did spend with the band."

Hagar just seems frightened. Frightened because his name hasn't so much as been mentioned by Roth or the Van Halens publicly in over a decade. Frightened because when Ed slammed Mike Anthony a few years ago and Hagar stood up for Mike, Ed's response was...silence. Nothing a troll hates worse than failing to get a reaction.

And I will agree that in terms of the "Red Rocker" self-named moniker, I've never, EVER heard anyone call Sammy that. Nobody outside of Sammy himself and mtv vjs or vh1 vjs who were interviewing him. And this is after, what, 35 years of him promoting himself as the Red Rocker?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

4. Thanked Terry for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (07-16-2018)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Long live Chickenfoot.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-20-2022 @ 12:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seems to me that mentally Sam is where Dave was from the early 1990s to like 2006- not particularly relevant and realizing that his best work was with VH while having a whiff of desperation about the whole thing. And let's face it, nobody is clamoring for another chickenfoot/circle/sammy solo album. hell, nobody's clamoring for another vh album with sam, but i'm guessing it would sell better than that other stuff. I think a tour with Sam Halen would sell ok. And Sam might pretend otherwise, but you can bet your ass that he'd rather being playing sheds/arenas with VH than the Piss Ant Room at Harvey's in Tahoe or the Cabo Wabo Cantina.

I think that '04 for Sam was like 96' and the early 2000s for Dave- high hopes of claiming past vh glory that crashed and burned in bitterness and acrimony, some of which was self inflicted. The difference is that Dave got back in while Sam was left holding his dick. Oh well. Maybe you shouldn't have burned those bridges in your book there chief.

As for MA, my personal opinion is that you can only take the high road so many times before a strong response is required. The Van Halens (basically Ed) have attacked his time in VH on basically all fronts: his musical contributions (or lack there of), his backing vocals (Ed claiming that his backing vocals were as much of that classic sound as MA), his skill as a bass player (the infamous/bogus Ed videotaping the bass parts for MA stuff), etc. I get that he doesn't want to get in to "mudslinging", but MA, there's a time when bullshit needs to be vigorously called out. Is fan appreciation of him being there enough when two guys don't really want him there and the third guy may want him there, but not enough to rock the boat/support him when it actually matters?
    Last edited by chuckjitsu; 07-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Seems to me that mentally Sam is where Dave was from the early 1990s to like 2006- not particularly relevant and realizing that his best work was with VH while having a whiff of desperation about the whole thing. And let's face it, nobody is clamoring for another chickenfoot/circle/sammy solo album. hell, nobody's clamoring for another vh album with sam, but i'm guessing it would sell better than that other stuff. I think a tour with Sam Halen would sell ok. And Sam might pretend otherwise, but you can bet your ass that he'd rather being playing sheds/arenas with VH than the Piss Ant Room at Harvey's in Tahoe or the Cabo Wabo Cantina.

I think that '04 for Sam was like 96' and the early 2000s for Dave- high hopes of claiming past vh glory that crashed and burned in bitterness and acrimony, some of which was self inflicted. The difference is that Dave got back in while Sam was left holding his dick. Oh well. Maybe you shouldn't have burned those bridges in your book there chief.

As for MA, my personal opinion is that you can only take the high road so many times before a strong response is required. The Van Halens (basically Ed) have attacked his time in VH on basically all fronts: his musical contributions (or lack there of), his backing vocals (Ed claiming that his backing vocals were as much of that classic sound as MA), his skill as a bass player (the infamous/bogus Ed videotaping the bass parts for MA stuff), etc. I get that he doesn't want to get in to "mudslinging", but MA, there's a time when bullshit needs to be vigorously called out. Is fan appreciation of him being there enough when two guys don't really want him there and the third guy may want him there, but not enough to rock the boat/support him when it actually matters?
    Clearly, nobody was clamoring for another Roth solo album from 1996 to...well, now (and probably beyond). And when Roth was on the outs with Van Halen from 1985 through 2006, he was - much like Hagar - never shy about saying what he thought about them in interviews. Doubtless, Roth would have preferred to have been fronting Van Halen rather than opening for Bad Company as a solo act, or teaming up with Hagar in 2002. The difference, as you say, being that Roth (eventually) got back in the band ("got back" probably being defined as embarking on a series of tour by tour contracts). I do remember Roth being somewhat generous to Hagar in a 1996 Howard Stern interview that aired on the same day Roth and the Van Halens released their statements as to why a full-fledged tour wasn't going to happen. So, I'm assuming the actual Stern interview took place at least a day before (if not earlier) Roth's Open Letter was released. Roth said something along the lines of nobody knowing better than himself as to exactly what Hagar was going through at the moment re: being chucked out of the group. And I'm sure Roth knows exactly where Sammy is (and has been) career-wise these days as a solo act, in that (like Roth) Sammy's career high water mark was Van Halen, and (again, like Roth) what Sammy has done post-Van Halen hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

I do think that unlike the early 2000s for Dave, Sammy is now bumping up against the edge of his own mortality in terms of his physical ability in actually being able to perform a full set. As in, perhaps Hagar is thinking there may not be too many years left that he will actually be ABLE to front Van Halen. From what I've seen and heard, ROTH is at times only barely able to still do what is required (to my ears, anyway) vocal-wise, live. Add in Eddie and HIS health issues over the years...clearly, Hagar realizes the clock is ticking, and the time to do it is sooner than later. Maybe that explains the desperation.

Mike Anthony and his public attitude toward all of it is a mystery to me, in that from appearances the guy was never appreciated going way back, stayed loyal anyway and got chucked out and replaced by Ed's kid. I mean, perhaps one thing to get replaced by a Billy Sheehan, but a teenager of no distinguishable skills on bass? Yet Anthony stays silent about all of it. Does Anthony think he was just plain lucky to have been in the band in the first place? Does Anthony, through years of having his pride and percentage whittled down, to a degree buy into the dubious claims Eddie makes about him? Is Anthony simply more content hanging with Hagar, who genuinely seems to enjoy his company and what he brings to a group, and thus glad he doesn't have to be back in a reformed Van Halen with David Lee Roth now? At least when Hagar was in the band, Anthony had an ally: if Anthony rejoined the band now, well...he already knows what the Van Halens think about him, and he has no relationship with Roth to speak of. I try to imagine being in a band where nobody else in the band particularly cared if I was there - or even really wanted me there - and going onstage and playing with them every night. I can't imagine it, unless there was a hefty payday involved.

8. 2 users say thank you to Terry for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (01-23-2019),Nickdfresh (07-16-2018)

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,610 Posts

doing my best to forget about Van Hagar

note the display at the Rock Hall has the CVH wings logo and not the rings logo

10. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Seshmeister (07-15-2018),Terry (07-16-2018)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    And I will agree that in terms of the "Red Rocker" self-named moniker, I've never, EVER heard anyone call Sammy that. Nobody outside of Sammy himself and mtv vjs or vh1 vjs who were interviewing him. And this is after, what, 35 years of him promoting himself as the Red Rocker?
    To be fair, I do occasionally hear cheeseball DJ's that liked Van Hagar mention that, "oh zinger! We got the Red Rocker comin' up with Montrose. Stay tuned for some Rad Motor Scooter rocking and rollin!!".

But yeah, it's just Sammy's marketing nonsense. Just like his "I can't Drive 55" nonsense. Hell. I actually don't mind the song. But it's representative of Sam being a dishonest huckster and fake. He barely drove any of those "bad ass, Ferrari" sports cars. In an interview on one of those 80's syndicated radio interviews they used to do, Sam admitted he didn't like the color red on any of his sports cars or anything. A VH1 Pop Up Video of the 55 song also stated that Sammy couldn't drive a standard transmission and broke the Ferrari's clutch during the filming of the video. I mean, he had to have been over 30+ at the time and couldn't drive a manual trans. FFS, maybe you might not want to write a song about what a fast moving badass you are until fucking mastering a five or six speed stick! At least Ed, Dave, Alex and probably Mike can say they knew their was around performances cars by that point. But hey, they became "a Porsche with Sam in the band". Too bad the fucknuts couldn't drive it!!

But I bet Sammy was the king of the Vespa! Hey man, I can't like drive 55, man! No, I meant this thing struggles to pull 40!
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 07-16-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You should post that EVERYWHERE!!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,737 Times in 2,054 Posts

Blog Entries
    Van Hager in 2019

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    To be fair, I do occasionally hear cheeseball DJ's that liked Van Hagar mention that, "oh zinger! We got the Red Rocker comin' up with Montrose. Stay tuned for some Rad Motor Scooter rocking and rollin!!".

But yeah, it's just Sammy's marketing nonsense. Just like his "I can't Drive 55" nonsense. Hell. I actually don't mind the song. But it's representative of Sam being a dishonest huckster and fake. He barely drove any of those "bad ass, Ferrari" sports cars. In an interview on one of those 80's syndicated radio interviews they used to do, Sam admitted he didn't like the color red on any of his sports cars or anything. A VH1 Pop Up Video of the 55 song also stated that Sammy couldn't drive a standard transmission and broke the Ferrari's clutch during the filming of the video. I mean, he had to have been over 30+ at the time and couldn't drive a manual trans. FFS, maybe you might not want to write a song about what a fast moving badass you are until fucking mastering a five or six speed stick! At least Ed, Dave, Alex and probably Mike can say they knew their was around performances cars by that point. But hey, they became "a Porsche with Sam in the band". Too bad the fucknuts couldn't drive it!!

But I bet Sammy was the king of the Vespa! Hey man, I can't like drive 55, man! No, I meant this thing struggles to pull 40!
    Which...yeah, outside of lame cheeseball djs or vjs or himself, I've never heard anybody refer to Hagar as "The Red Rocker"...and it's such a stupid nickname anyway...

"The Red Rocker"...what the fuck is that even supposed to MEAN, anyway?

Ugh.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,279 Times in 4,710 Posts

Which...yeah, outside of lame cheeseball djs or vjs or himself, I've never heard anybody refer to Hagar as "The Red Rocker"...and it's such a stupid nickname anyway...

"The Red Rocker"...what the fuck is that even supposed to MEAN, anyway?

Ugh.
    Probably means he's a Communist. There used to be a site called "Newsmeat" which tracked the political contributions of celebrities. Hagar's entries usually showed him contributing to two candidates. One was Chimpy Bush. The other was Congressman Dana Rohrabacher from CA, who is accused of being tied to Putin & the Russians nearly as much as Cheeto is. Even other Republicans in the House have made comments on the record about Rohrabacher and his Kremlin-friendly positions.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Probably means he's a Communist. There used to be a site called "Newsmeat" which tracked the political contributions of celebrities. Hagar's entries usually showed him contributing to two candidates. One was Chimpy Bush. The other was Congressman Dana Rohrabacher from CA, who is accused of being tied to Putin & the Russians nearly as much as Cheeto is. Even other Republicans in the House have made comments on the record about Rohrabacher and his Kremlin-friendly positions.
    The red scare and McCarthyism is back. Haha!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-20-2021 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I think Hagar has to make whatever sentiments he has about the Van Halens public because he probably no longer has direct access to either of them in terms of phone numbers or whatever. So, he has to say these things in interviews as that's the only chance either of the Van Halens will learn of them. While I think Wolfgang might be paying attention to that stuff, I tend to doubt Eddie either knows about these interview comments unless someone is telling him what Sammy said, much less cares what Sammy has to say about anything these days.

I mean, Sammy basically spent a decade with the band...maybe 12 years total if you count the reunion tour. His first stint with the band ended on a sour note, and his brief second stint seemed like a bummer. Ed shitcanned him in 1996, then Hagar came back in 2004 and Ed was a full blown, head-case wack job to deal with: doubtless when Sammy first joined the band in 1985 the first several years were great in terms of everybody getting along. It ended badly, twice. Which naturally begs the question as to why Sammy wants back in with the band so bad: why would you go back to a situation like that even if asked, much less publicly lobby for it? Hagar is right when he says he doesn't need the money. So, what the fuck is it? To get one last tour in to make up for the 2004 tour? Because Hagar genuinely wants to patch things up with the Van Halens? Fair enough if that's what he wants, but if the Van Halens have no interest in making that effort, it's just a waste of time.

And, as you say Jerome, I'm sure Hagar could find a way to reach out privately to the Van Halens (maybe through Mike Anthony via Alex) rather than in an interview.

Maybe Sammy's reaching the effective end of his touring days and wants to go out doing a gig bigger than his annual, self-thrown Cabo Wabo birthday party. I dunno. Publicly criticizing the Van Halens (and on a personal level, from what we know about the Van Halens, they both frankly come off like a pair of assholes - talented musicians - but assholes nonetheless) for the better part of a decade just seems an odd way of trying to get back in.

Sammy just needs a hug...and all that jive...
    Ill never forget when i was at the 2004 show in Vancouver when Sammy and Eddie started shoving each other on stage and then sammy sort of force hugged it out and the show went on when it seemed like it wasnt going to at all

18. Thanked vanhalendlrband for this KICKASS post:

Terry (01-12-2019)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Spammy wants back in VH the same reason he joined in 85 and rejoined in 04.

MONEY.

Doesn't need it? Perhaps true. But that doesn't mean he doesn't want the money.

Hagar is an opportunist. He saw $$$ in 85 walking into arguably the biggest American hard rock band at that time. And he cashed in.

Unfortunately Van Hagar was simply an experiment that lasted a lot longer than it should have.

Even Ed knows it truly wasn't Van HALEN even though it still had the name attached to it.

20. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Edwards3rdWife (01-23-2019)

Thread Information