X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Want To Interview Diamond Dave..?

Frustrated with the current lack any word from our favorite artist... I was curious what it would take to book an interview with Diamond Dave. The short answer... A whole lot of money, honey!!

A web search of recent news articles from 2017 announcing changes in Roth's personal and professional booking management put me on the path which landed me on the web site for the Richard De La Font Agency, Inc. There you can potentially book Dave for a concert, corporate event, party, etc... Following their link to their Artist Interview page and landing on their Buyers Input Form - Interview, etc. I was stuck by the ugly hand of reality which knocked my fucking wallet right on it's ass!!

Minimum service fee budget of $10,000 USD is required.
    This service fee is ONLY for assistance in making the arrangement for an interview.
    It is NOT the fee for the interview itself - which may or may not require an additional fee.
    If you do not have this level of budget, we will not be able to assist in this category.
    Let that marinate a bit... you have to put up $10 Grand just to get some nice person to call the artist and arrange the interview. Be prepared to fork out more cold, hard cash if the "Artist" wants an appearance fee and for expenses to get their precious ass to and from the interview!!

Filtering through the fine print at least the agency kindly offers that the fee is refundable if you get snubbed:

You MUST be prepared to submit
    this amount in advance. This is 100% refundable
    should the artist decline your invitation for
    an interview. If you are not willing, do not proceed.
    I no longer wonder why we're hearing nothing from Diamond Dave in the mainstream or even back alley media... In my world, $10,000 is a good chunk of change and far too much money to waste on arranging an interview with somebody who hasn't done anything noteworthy in recent times... It's a shame. Such a colorful and entertaining personality out-priced himself from the his own industry...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

For that amount of money you could see a qualified psychiatrist upon which you can discuss your weird homoerotic obsession you have for the man.

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

I suppose in a world where contemporary, popular celebrities are paid tens (and sometimes hundreds) of thousands of dollars just to mention a product in a single tweet or appear (not perform, mind you, but simply show up) at an event, 10k for simple access may seem like a bargain basement price to Roth.

Perhaps it's just Roth himself not realizing it - or his current representation being afraid of telling him - but outside of maybe some niche magazines or podcasts that focus on classic hard rock, I'd be hard-pressed to imagine the name David Lee Roth even being under consideration for an interview.

Simply put, outside of his long term diehard fanbase, the general public doesn't care (if they even bother to remember) about Roth anymore in terms of actually wanting to hear him being interviewed. And I'd probably include a not insubstantial amount of people who have been attending Van Halen concerts over the last ten years in that general public category. Like, even if Roth is fronting Van Halen, most just want to go to the shows, hear the hits and have a good time.

Plus, as long as Roth is still working with the band, any interview is going to find him talking about the Van Halens in as diplomatic a manner as possible. And, let's be frank: Roth WAS one of the most (if nothing else) entertaining rock frontmen as far as an interview subject was concerned. His coke-blathering speed raps were amusing. There was a level of intelligence, wit, cynicism and self-depreciation there that one certainly didn't find in the interviews of...say, Vince Neil. At least until you started hearing the same Rothisms repeated from one interview to the next...and half the interviews began to be taken up with the sounds of Roth laughing hysterically at his own utterances.

Yeah, I'd enjoy hearing/reading a Roth interview, if only because they've been pretty infrequent over the last 11 years. If I were running a retro rock print magazine with a limited circulation or a podcast with a small budget, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pony up 10k + for Roth NOW in the hopes that I would make that investment back.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

What in the fuck could an bald, aging "rock star" has been have to say? My best guess is your homoerotic boy toy will be another Henry Rollins complete with disdain for the current music "biz" and a name's name of those nostalgic days when records were records. Boring. Roth is better off counting his royal checks and just shutting the fuck up where he can live out his days until cancer claims him in about 8 to 10 years. It's past time to grow up and face the reality that you cretins are all getting old and no question much of you are already taking advantage of your AARP benefits. It's great if you want to revisit your past - that's what your acne-faced high school yearbook is for. As for Roth, leave the man alone. Seek a support group for your homoerotic fixation. Maybe AARP can help you with that.

Comment

• ZahZoo
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hmmm Kristy... if we're all old, pathetic lost causes and Roth is all washed up, then why do you bother coming here at all..?

Doesn't your young, vibrant, hetroerotic, psychologically balanced, wonderful life keep you busy enough to not waste your time on this place?

We all tend socialize with people with common interests, social/economic status and like minded folks... ask yourself why you keep arriving at this place if you aren't part of the gang..?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's funny how she/it puts more into this thread than nearly everyone else on the site; but WE have the problem...

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Hmmm Kristy... if we're all old, pathetic lost causes and Roth is all washed up, then why do you bother coming here at all..?
              Because, unlike you senile cretins, I have hope for mankind.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                It's funny how she/it puts more into this thread than nearly everyone else on the site; but WE have the problem...

Admitting that is half the battle, Wiki Niki

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
                  Because, unlike you senile cretins, I have hope for mankind.
                  I'd applaud your effort, but it's totally misplaced... you'd have better luck selling a vegan diet at a Bar-B-Q joint...

Since you like lost causes... you got $10k..? Go get us an interview with Roth. It would surely benefit mankind more than mouthin off at Nick!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Admitting that is half the battle, Wiki Niki
                    That you're obsessed with people you think are obsessed?

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Again, what would he have to say? The man lives a more or less private life now. He can retire comfortably from royalty checks and the scam payments for their reunion tour. He hasn't produced anything of significant value in decades, he no longer has the charisma or the talent he once did. Age gets the best of us and we develop cancer and die a painful death. Roth is on his way there. Even if he did speak, it would a Henry Rollins diatribe of memory lane of music industry sarcasm and nostalgia. Yeah, all the world needs right now another over opinionated asshole like Henry Rollins for the one-time payment of $10,000. Fuck that.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        That you're obsessed with people you think are obsessed?
                        That's a real obsessive thing to say.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

The ten grand are just a "fuck off"-sign to keep the fanboys off. Imagine all the Spicolis asking if Dave would play on their birthday party if they had a free shot.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Again, what would he have to say? The man lives a more or less private life now. He can retire comfortably from royalty checks and the scam payments for their reunion tour.
                            I really wonder what artists actually earn in royalties and did a search and came up with this for an artist who had over a million stream on Spotify from a 2016 article. It should be noted that when royalties are distributed they go to the label who takes their cut and then distributes to publishers, song writers and then the "artist".

Total number of streams: 1,023,501

Total revenue: $4,955.90

In Dave's case, for say Van Halen or his old solo work... WB (Warner Brothers) and whoever publishes their stuff get a cut and then it's split at least 4 ways to the guys in the band at the time. For over a million streams I'd guess he'd be lucky to pull down a couple hundred bucks, maybe. I can't imagine any album sales or even download sales being all that high in volume these days nor radio air-play... I'd suspect annual royalties may not even cover his property taxes and utilities for a year...

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              I really wonder what artists actually earn in royalties and did a search and came up with this for an artist who had over a million stream on Spotify from a 2016 article. It should be noted that when royalties are distributed they go to the label who takes their cut and then distributes to publishers, song writers and then the "artist".

Total number of streams: 1,023,501

Total revenue: $4,955.90

In Dave's case, for say Van Halen or his old solo work... WB (Warner Brothers) and whoever publishes their stuff get a cut and then it's split at least 4 ways to the guys in the band at the time. For over a million streams I'd guess he'd be lucky to pull down a couple hundred bucks, maybe. I can't imagine any album sales or even download sales being all that high in volume these days nor radio air-play... I'd suspect annual royalties may not even cover his property taxes and utilities for a year...
                              If the label is getting "their cut" is from distribution rights and not songwriting publishing which as of present is Atlas Music which is an independent music publishing source. Then there is merchandising rights and license - unless methy Eddie and his creepy as fuck brother own the VH logo and have registered it as a trademark for themselves, Roth gets his cut form that, too. Now, I do know how much they get from radio play (which can be little) or public broadcast (shit like hockey games) but that's where the real money is. Then there was the 2015 or 16 tour or whenever the fuck it was. What do you estimate was Roth's cut from that? Well over a million? Maybe more? After taxes and road and managerial fees who really knows. He may not be a richy rich rock star or have have the income he once did but if he invested his money wisely and lives on an fixed annuity from interest I'd say he lives a rather comfortable life.

Comment

Working...