Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Oh, and fuck Spotify. That is nothing more than a con racket. Those fuckers are thieves. And fuck you to anyone here who uses it - and no bullshit "I only use it for what's new" horseshit.

Here's The The's Matt Johnson (a god damn limey) explaining how those corporate fucktards at Spotify operate as the criminals they are. Hopefully Roth did what Matt here did.

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I doubt Roth gets much, if anything, from merchandising today... definitely nothing from all the stripped shit and musical equipment EVH sells. Other than that, old tour shirts if anyone is buying that stuff. Again... no huge revenue stream.

The 2015 tour grossed $26 million. The 2012 ADKOT tour grossed $38.6 million. I have no idea what the net pay to the band members would have been after the promoters, management, venues and all the associated expenses were paid. Maybe a couple of million..?

It's been 3 years since they last toured... they're either living frugally or hopefully invested smart...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Spotify 'royalties' are a joke, especially when you consider that premium users can download the songs. For bands of the Van Halen level I think there is still a pretty steady income from other sources, some publishing and more high profile stuff.

I was very surprised to hear 'I'm the One' as the title music to the recent Bruce Willis roast I guess that's worth just a few grand but Jump in Ready Player One or Eruption in the Minions movie must pay pretty well.

Music licensing is something that happens constantly. The music you hear on the radio, in a restaurant or in a department store is all licensed. Find out when and why we have to pay to play.

Low-end TV usage (e.g. -- music is playing from a jukebox in a scene, but no one in the scene is paying any attention to the music) -- free (for exposure) to $2,000 for a 5-year license. In a film, the fee would be $10,000 in perpetuity.
        A more popular song is worth more, perhaps $3,000 for TV and $25,000 for film.
        A song used as the theme song for a film might get $50,000 to $75,000.
        Commercials fetch even more money: "a song can command anywhere from $25,000 to $500,000 plus per year. The typical range for a well-known song is $75,000 to $200,000 for a one year national usage in the United States, on television and radio."
        Last edited by Seshmeister; 08-01-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
          I doubt Roth gets much, if anything, from merchandising today... definitely nothing from all the stripped shit and musical equipment EVH sells. Other than that, old tour shirts if anyone is buying that stuff. Again... no huge revenue stream.

The 2015 tour grossed $26 million. The 2012 ADKOT tour grossed $38.6 million. I have no idea what the net pay to the band members would have been after the promoters, management, venues and all the associated expenses were paid. Maybe a couple of million..?

It's been 3 years since they last toured... they're either living frugally or hopefully invested smart...
          I don't know what the revenues from merchandising might be, but they ain't included in that tour sum. I do see kids buying CVH shirts, especially the "Hot For Teacher" one I have. And I think you underestimate their overall annual revenue stream. I've mentioned before that I once heard an NPR story on the guy behind The Waitresses, Chris Butler, who wrote one of their hits "Christmas Wrapping". On an off year, he gets $30,000 in royalties for that song alone. If it's used in a film, major TV show, or video game, he gets around $100,000. Ah, the majesty of being in the song writing credits!
          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-01-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm not implying Roth is on the verge of bankruptcy... all those 5-6 figure amounts y'all referenced is good money. But, Dave's not earning those amounts directly... netting out Roth's take after you factor in the record label (WB), publishers and then dividing the remaining portion by 3-4 fellow band members... $100,000 probably ends up a couple thousand cash in hand after taxes at best, annually.

Roth's house in Pasadena is over 11,000 sq ft on 2 acres... valued around $2.4 million. His taxes, utilities and maintaining it probably cost him $30-50k a year. Not sure if he still maintains an apartment in New York... that won't come cheap at all.

I sense a tour may become a necessity soon...

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Oh, he has money and he can afford the taxes.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                Veteran
                • May 2004

I'm not implying Roth is on the verge of bankruptcy... all those 5-6 figure amounts y'all referenced is good money. But, Dave's not earning those amounts directly... netting out Roth's take after you factor in the record label (WB), publishers and then dividing the remaining portion by 3-4 fellow band members... $100,000 probably ends up a couple thousand cash in hand after taxes at best, annually.

Roth's house in Pasadena is over 11,000 sq ft on 2 acres... valued around $2.4 million. His taxes, utilities and maintaining it probably cost him $30-50k a year. Not sure if he still maintains an apartment in New York... that won't come cheap at all.

I sense a tour may become a necessity soon...
                Dave bought the house from his dad over 30 years ago, for 10 million dollars.

The value of the property currently is public record. I always laugh at you people who think you know how much anyone is worth.

You have no idea how much money Dave has, nor anyone else.

I remember about 10 years ago, AC/DC did not tour nor make an album, but still made 40+ million dollars on royalties alone.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

The value I sighted in my previous post was from a public record from 2016... Also multiple media articles reference the value of Dave's house in the $2+ million range. That would pretty much negate your claim that Dave bought it from his father for $10 million. Housing prices in that area have steady, if not unrealistic growth in the last 30 years.

You may want to direct that laughter at yourself, chief...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Just for shits and giggles, I Googled Dave's current net worth at $60 million. By no means is he the richest rock star, but he's doing well and I'm pretty sure Dave was the one that invested wisely, and there is a good chance he might be worth a bit more...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

The value I sighted in my previous post was from a public record from 2016... Also multiple media articles reference the value of Dave's house in the $2+ million range. That would pretty much negate your claim that Dave bought it from his father for $10 million. Housing prices in that area have steady, if not unrealistic growth in the last 30 years.

Appraisal values mean nothing. Property is worth what someone is willing to pay for it or what the bank is willing to finance for it. Low interest rates typically mean high real estate values and then add in foreign investors like the Chinese who are using real estate to get their money out of the PRC that balloons the values even higher. Right now we are in another real estate bubble but interest rates are creeping up and foreign buying is waining. This affects the selling price. Real estate values can fluctuate wildly especially after a bubble pops. You can lose half or more of the value overnight. If Dave wants to keep the house to live in that's one thing but if he's keeping it for investment he should have unloaded it a year ago. Prices are crazy again and we saw this before in 2008. Since the last recession tapped out the working class this next one will hit the upper class which will bring luxury real estate prices down substantially. Big homes will be a hard sell in the future.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

A friend of mine just sold some Seattle property he paid $80,000 for in 1994 for $650,000 last week. The market is crazy and if people think it's going up any more they are nuts. Of course the banks will go to the federal government wanting another bailout after this bubble pops.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Plus, with Dave, he has no ex-wives or children to support. His dependent overhead is...what, a couple of English sheepdogs and an Asian...er, "houseboy"/masseuse?

Unless Roth is still spending like it's 1986, it's a pretty good guess - regardless of the accuracy of Google Net Worth and what we actually know about the extent of his real estate holdings and liquidity - that he'll be fine, financially.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
                            Veteran
                            • May 2004

A shithole house (2 bedroom) in Toronto is at least 2 million dollars.

Dave's house is 20, 000 square feet and a historical site.

My God, but you're not bright, Chief.

Do you think a property like that in Pasadena is worth only 2 million? The fucking pool and birdbath alone are worth 2 million.

But I must be wrong, because you GOOGLED it, GOOGLE must be correct.

Nobody knows Jack Fuck how much money Dave has or anyone else. His accountants probably don't even really know.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Are you like this all the time in real life or just a prick on this website?

I've been wondering about it for a while....

Now we are very much in the end times of forums like this before it gets shut down I'm genuinely curious about people who are just insanely fucking cunty on here.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                                A friend of mine just sold some Seattle property he paid $80,000 for in 1994 for $650,000 last week. The market is crazy and if people think it's going up any more they are nuts. Of course the banks will go to the federal government wanting another bailout after this bubble pops.
                                Yeah, all thanks to your F A T fucking joke of a leader. Besides, if we have a collapse it will be in retail which has been dying in America for the past 15 years. The F A T Orange Blunder's tariffs are about to drive a McDonald's cheeseburger into the heart of it.

As for Roth, who cares? He's old, pretty much retired and halfway dead - just like Eddie and the creepy one.

Comment

Working...