I view computers and smart phones as just common tools to get crap done in life and business. Technology has really transformed our lives in so many good ways and some not so good.

It's really amazing how many physical things have been shrunk down to apps that we can carry around in our pocket and use anytime or anywhere. Take the smart phone for example. It's replaced the telephone, pen/pencil/paper, your wallet, mail service, television, movie theater, radios, turntables/CD/DVD players, game consoles, maps, identification cards and you can add apps to do thousands of things that used to require other tools like musical instrument tuners, bubble levels, car diagnostics, etc... All things that used to take up space in your home, garage or office... with more coming every day!!

But what really drives me nuts is how software developers have designed and configured the operating systems and the apps themselves that run all this amazing stuff!!

You don't need to have all these tools flippin turned on, powered up and running all the dang time!! Each one consuming resources, power and competing with each other when you aren't even using them!! Not to mention them all spying on you and secretly reporting your location, how often you use or do something and what color underwear you are wearing, if any!!

If I let Microsoft, Apple, or Google manage my home and tool collection... I would expect to walk into my garage to get a screwdriver and find my lawnmower, weed trimmer, chain saw, power drill, power saw, belt sander, power washer and everything else fired up and running!! My grill and cajun cooker at my desired cooking temperature. My tool box dancing around full of ratchets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc busily performing maintenance, upgrades and repairs on all the other crap happily running.

What's worse is all this crap, er... app doing nothing that I needed or wanted to do!! Don't even get me started with automatic upgrades that break all the other tools or tools that don't play well with others... Enough already!!

Maybe it's time to get back to something simpler with all these tools. Leave them off when they aren't needed and mind your own business when I choose to use the stuff I bought.